• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Really? I don't think I've ever had a hard time fighting a Falco with him. I'd much rather play him Vs. Falco than DK though, that's for sure.

But I guess one person doesn't determine the match-up, so my apologies for jumping the gun.
Falco vs DK is completely unwinnable for DK. On neutrals and if the Falco doesn't do anything too silly. I have a mediocre Falco and there's a good DK in my area. He had to CP ROB against me in tournament just to beat my Falco.

So yeah, G&W doesn't lose unwinnably vs Falco. But Falco is still just stupid as hell and just really isn't a good matchup for G&W.

Marth vs G&W, Marth gets wrecked if he commits to too many aerials. Marth kinda is stupid for G&W to approach if Marth just plays a good ground game and just tries to get G&W offstage and edgetraps carefully. That's the way I feel about the matchup after playing Bardull. At any rate though I'd rather play a Marth than a Metaknight or ICs.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Falco vs. G&W is very hard. If you get grabbed prepare to take 50+ damage. I generally try to play patient and pick my sports to approach. Also if you have a platform, stay on it to avoid getting grabbed early.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
As someone who plays Falco on the side, I feel Falco generally speaking shouldn't be playing to chaingrab you. That's too easy to play around if you just want to be really patient. Regardless he has some of the best normal combos in the game by far. He doesn't really need to grab you to get easy damage...on top of the fact he's just an incredibly stupidly good character in general with some retardedly good options.

More important though is the fact his D-throw is a setup into BDACUS if you DI away. DIing towards him also puts you in a position to be hit by aerials. DI wisely when he grabs you at high percents.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Hi g&w mains. I always had g&w in the back of my mind, & i wanna co-main him now.
Can anyone give me the pros & cons about g&w?

Phoxhound

Smash Cadet
Baltimore, MD (in a worm hole during summers)
3DS FC
2707-1679-3227
Hi g&w mains. I always had g&w in the back of my mind, & i wanna co-main him now.
Can anyone give me the pros & cons about g&w?
pros:
*good aerial mobility with a solid juggle game.
*solid smash attacks.
*great down throw (check out A2's guide)
*oil panic bucket cancels momentum.

cons:
*light as hell.
*poor approach, tends to be predictable.
*no consistent projectile.

overall G&W is a solid character whose potential is definitely deeper than people have realized so far. if you like playing the air he's a great choice.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
pros:
*good aerial mobility with a solid juggle game.
*solid smash attacks.
*great down throw (check out A2's guide)
*oil panic bucket cancels momentum.

cons:
*light as hell.
*poor approach, tends to be predictable.
*no consistent projectile.

overall G&W is a solid character whose potential is definitely deeper than people have realized so far. if you like playing the air he's a great choice.
he also have lot of good matchups. Now that's a pro. :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno I think we definitely do better against Wario than matchup data currently suggests. Also beating Pikachu isn't a small deal either.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I feel like we have a larger advantage over Pikachu than that chart gives us credit for.
Pikachu isn't exactly an autowin for G&W. Yes we have the advantage, but it's mostly a slight advantage. He can play an annoying keepaway game since he has great mobility.

We do benefit a lot from the fact that he suffers quite a bit more than average when he gets grabbed by G&W. Techchase U-smash his techroll lmao.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Bait thunder/thunder jolt
Dthrow
Oil Panic insta-kill
?????
Profit

I do see what ya'll mean though, a good Pikachu can give G&W hell. Smart players just give us hell in general.

9-BiT

Smash Cadet
After recently learning bucket braking, what next AT should i move on to, i am a fairly new player, only been to one tourny, and didn't play (lol i know). Thanks.

9-BiT

Smash Cadet
Thanks, how should I go around doing that? Like against level 7 CPU's, i don't have access to a real person that often.
~9-BiT

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Learning to space shorthopped bair is more useful when you're first starting out.
You could also take a look at A2's guide on dthrow, I remember when I first started out dthrow was my bread and butter. I had to learn all of the options and reads on my own though.

If you have access to wifi, I wouldn't mind playing with you to show you the basics.

9-BiT

Smash Cadet
That would be the coolest, and I would be eternally grateful (:D), if we could set up a time to play or something, I would appreciate it. I know how annoying it is to have noobs hanging around XD
~9-BiT

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
We're all people, I don't judge based on skill level. It just so happens that a lot of the time idiots are terrible at this game. There are idiots who are good at it too, but you can learn to tolerate them. All the worthwhile people improve, as you will.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
hum... pretty stupid question, but can we footstool a shielding character? I guess not, but never tryed out. Can't play for few moments so yeah...

Can I revive/make a new stage discussion thread?
I guess it's not a bad thing if we can manage to get some minimal activity on it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You CAN footstool a shielding character, but they do not incur stun.

I'm actually not entirely sure what you're allowed to footstool stun people out of, but techrolls and tech in place are viable.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
I'm teaming with a sonic on Saturday. Know any cool team tactics with Sonic and GAME? his down throw to my usmash is pretty sex. that's all we really got right now.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Most of what I would suggest would work better with other characters.

I might suggest experimenting with Sonic's U-throw. Specifically if you're behind Sonic. If the opponent DIs inward to avoid Sonic's followups, you can U-air to momentum stall them to open them up for different followups.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks A2, we were banking/hoping that people didn't know that you could tech Sonic's dthrow; it leads to usmash,9, and two chances to dsmash if they don't tech the fall from the throw lol. We lost to M2gay(M2k)/masky and trump/second best zelda(ed).

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
@Yars actually I'm not even sure Marth Fair beats a perfectly spaced Fair from G&W probably by few pixels, but because his move comes faster, his Fair is much easier to land.

Hey A2 while you're here, do you know if SDI is character weight dependant?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The fact Marth's F-air may have a tad more horizontal range than yours barely matters. Marth beats you with his ground game. In the air though, Marth gets beat up pretty easily by G&W just due to your raw damage output. Your lingering hitboxes are also rather hard for him to challenge directly in the air.

SDI is NOT weight dependent. It is dependent on the move that hits you. Moves have two parameters that will affect your ability to SDI them: hitlag and SDI multiplier.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
The fact Marth's F-air may have a tad more horizontal range than yours barely matters. Marth beats you with his ground game. In the air though, Marth gets beat up pretty easily by G&W just due to your raw damage output. Your lingering hitboxes are also rather hard for him to challenge directly in the air.

SDI is NOT weight dependent. It is dependent on the move that hits you. Moves have two parameters that will affect your ability to SDI them: hitlag and SDI multiplier.
You can SDI during hitlag? I though only during hitsun. That's neat. I'll have to pay attention to Frame data again... Ty for your anwser.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Uh, you DON'T get to SDI during hitstun. If you could, there would be far fewer chaingrabs and infinites in this game.

Hitlag is the reason why most multihits are easy to SDI. There is a lot of hitlag to react to, especially in a move like Pikachu or Bowser's D-smash. Keep in mind you cannot SDI some moves like Marth's tipper F-smash, which has a SDI modifier of 0.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Uh, you DON'T get to SDI during hitstun. If you could, there would be far fewer chaingrabs and infinites in this game.

Hitlag is the reason why most multihits are easy to SDI. There is a lot of hitlag to react to, especially in a move like Pikachu or Bowser's D-smash. Keep in mind you cannot SDI some moves like Marth's tipper F-smash, which has a SDI modifier of 0.
Ah ok ok, my bad. So basically, on multi hit moves, you have to wait until hitlag wears off on each hits before SDI applies (depending on the modifier of the move of your attacker). OK I guess that's important to know. Learning everyday thanks again, and I hope it's not over! ;)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, when you're in freeze frames of hitlag, THAT is when you are allowed to SDI. The more frames of hitlag there are, the more times you are allowed to SDI.

The distance you can SDI is dependent on both how many frames of hitlag there are and the SDI modifier. If there is no hitlag (Metaknight's Mach Tornado I believe is an example of such a move with 0 hitlag) or a SDI modifier of 0, you are not allowed to SDI.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
No, when you're in freeze frames of hitlag, THAT is when you are allowed to SDI. The more frames of hitlag there are, the more times you are allowed to SDI.

The distance you can SDI is dependent on both how many frames of hitlag there are and the SDI modifier. If there is no hitlag (Metaknight's Mach Tornado I believe is an example of such a move with 0 hitlag) or a SDI modifier of 0, you are not allowed to SDI.
ok, so that's why you can SDI like mad before Snake utilt connect for example. OK OK I got it know. :p

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
So after chasing a Snake off stage and hitting him with the trusty frying pan, I noticed it didn't knock him off the cypher, I know that at higher percent more things hit, but which of G&W's moves hits the earliest? If no one knows for sure, I'd be more than happy to do some testing on this.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It has nothing to do with Snake's damage. The fact is Chef frying pan does 5%. This is not enough damage to knock Snake off Cypher. You need to use an attack that does more than 7% to knock Snake off Cypher.

Top Bottom