• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Its a clever mix up. It can get you a free stock once and a while on an unsuspecting player. i have used in in tourney with success before. Its not something i would do frequently cause you can get ***** for it. after the cg spike you are in a great positional advantage. if you constantly chase off stage for the head bounce you will be killed for it possibly more times then not with falcos bad vertical recovery.

Thor

Smash Champion
Didn't see it in first page threads so I'll ask: When jab cancelling with Falco (or any other character I guess, but Pikachu can't jab cancel safely last I checked), should I actually see Falco duck or start to duck before the next jab? And is crouching, shielding, or double-pivoting most effective (or something else) or are all they all the same? Also, should I single jab or double jab before the crouch/shield/double-pivot, or does it not matter [and so use both to mix up my jab cancels]?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Didn't see it in first page threads so I'll ask: When jab cancelling with Falco (or any other character I guess, but Pikachu can't jab cancel safely last I checked), should I actually see Falco duck or start to duck before the next jab? And is crouching, shielding, or double-pivoting most effective (or something else) or are all they all the same? Also, should I single jab or double jab before the crouch/shield/double-pivot, or does it not matter [and so use both to mix up my jab cancels]?
I'll second this; I'm not sure myself.

From what I've seen it seems like the most common way to do it is by crouching between jabs (that's how it worked for Ike at least, and how I do it with Falco), though I'm not sure if that's actually the best or just the easiest. Shield doesn't work, I'm pretty sure, since there's too much lag.

The Single or Double Jab thing is partially character dependant, but mostly something that should be mixed up so the opponent doesn't know what's coming next; I don't think that jab cancelling actually gives a frame advantage, it's just really close (and can turn into a grab to beat shield)

Anyways, if I'm wrong or right could someone more knowledgable correct me or let me know I'm actually doing it right; thanks!

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Crouching cancels jab. So for repeated first jab, do jab -> crouch -> jab -> crouch etc. I believe there's a certain timing for it, and I find it to be slower than I first expected, so you just might be doing it too fast. For double jab, just space your A presses. If you press double A really quickly you go for the Spin Attack immediately. To get the separate double jab, you have to space them out. After the double jab, you can crouch to cancel it as well.

Thor

Smash Champion
So crouching is most efficient, but should I actually see Falco duck during his jab cancels if I'm doing them properly/quickly or not? Good to know about the other stuff too, but I'd like to know if I should be seeing a visual cue that I'm doing it right, or if it should look almost seamless.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
It should look instantaneous, and there should be no visible crouch. Here's an example:
This is BluB, who used to be the best Falco in Europe before he retired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRyxwDndHBU&list=UUn3-tMNUZhJFUUxrwMD4q3g
At 1:10, you can see him perform the double jab lock which isn't effective nowadays because there's no real frame advantage. :/ But yeah, you can see it's instantaneous.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
In the same video at 2:03 is a small clip of the single jab lock.

Edit: Woops, I apologize for the double posting. I forgot the Edit button for a moment. -__-

Last edited:

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
So crouching is most efficient, but should I actually see Falco duck during his jab cancels if I'm doing them properly/quickly or not? Good to know about the other stuff too, but I'd like to know if I should be seeing a visual cue that I'm doing it right, or if it should look almost seamless.
I believe there actually should be a visible crouch, but since the animation is so short (3 frames if I remember correctly), it basically looks seamless. If you slow down that video that was just linked, you'll see Falco crouch momentarily.

By the way, if you're practising jab cancels, remember to practise on something that causes hitlag, because jab cancels have different timing when attacking the air compared to attacking an actual opponent. I recommend practising by jabbing the walls of Shadow Moses Island.

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
Hey all. New to the Boards, new to the competitive scene, fairly experienced in Brawl. Just a couple simple questions that I haven't stumbled across the answers to here.

What does Falco have in terms of Out-Of-Shield Options?

Also, what is the general consensus on using Falco's reflector? I have seen "Only use it to reflect things" but on the flipside "Use his shine instead of (move)." I tend to use it to help with spacing and as kind of a "Get out of my face" move, similar to F-tilt but a little farther away. As I try to make my move into the more competitive scene, which way is the way to go with it?

Thanks.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Reflector is pretty awesome, but you have to make sure you don't overuse it, otherwise you'll get punished pretty heavily. The thing is, Falco has very little options for attacking in front of him when in the air. This can become especially awkward when you approach your opponent with a jump, and they do the same. When this happens, you're options are limited, since both Bair and Dair have limited hitboxes, and Fair is just terrible. In this case, Reflector would be the best move, as it has decent range, and it's more difficult to punish its lag when used in the air. You can also use it to phase gliding characters like Meta Knight or Pit, and basically use it for spacing. It's generally safe against dashes too, as long as you're sure that they're going to use a dash attack. I tend to overuse Reflector a bit too much so get punished heavily, XD, but if you use it the right amount, it can give you an edge in the uncertainty and spacing factor of your game.

For OoS options, you have Roll, Spotdodge, Jump, and one of Falco's moves, like jab. Generally, rolling OoS is terrible since it can get predictable and you can get punished pretty severely. But if you're opponent doesn't expect it, it can be helpful. Spotdodge OoS is an okay choice, since you can now transition from your 3 frame lag to a jab or something, but it doesn't give you a solid escape option. Jump OoS is generally the safest option, since it gets you out of there with Falco's incredible jump, and his second jump can clear you with a general mind game in combination with his sex kick Bair. Jab OoS is also a good choice provided you're opponent is within range, since Jab is pretty quick. So Jump OoS and Jab OoS are the safest options.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey all. New to the Boards, new to the competitive scene, fairly experienced in Brawl. Just a couple simple questions that I haven't stumbled across the answers to here.
I'm going to throw in my own two cents as well, but MoosyDoosy had some good points too.

First of all, just as a general word of advice to someone new to the competitive scene: chances are good you roll way too much (especially if you normally fight CPUs), so watch out for that; you'll get punished hard once people catch on. That being said, rolls are still good if you think about when you use them.

Falco's options OoS are about the same as most characters, though unlike MK/Marth/etc his UpB is useless out of shield. Some of these options are:
  • Dodge (Spotdodge or Roll)
  • Grab
  • Jump
    • Attack (Bair, Dair, maybe Nair?)
  • Jump-Cancelled Usmash (The jump gets rid of shield drop lag, and you cancel the jump (1 frame) into a USmash. If you have Tap Jump on, just flick up on the C-stick, but if it's off you'll have to press jump just before flicking the C-stick. I use L for jump (for Immediate Aerial Phantasm) with Tap Jump off, works fine)
  • Shield Drop (this has fairly low lag, but it's still there)
    • Attack (Jab, Ftilt, Utilt, even Shine though that's risky; see below for more info)
I probably missed something, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, what is the general consensus on using Falco's reflector? I have seen "Only use it to reflect things" but on the flipside "Use his shine instead of (move)." I tend to use it to help with spacing and as kind of a "Get out of my face" move, similar to F-tilt but a little farther away. As I try to make my move into the more competitive scene, which way is the way to go with it?
First things first: All Things Shiny by Fluke

Anyways, Falco's reflector is an interesting move; it has pretty good range, is transcendent, and a 50% trip chance. As a spacing move and a mixup (for example, RapidJab to Ftilt and sometimes replace the Ftilt with Shine) it can be good. Its main problems come from its ending lag, which is pretty easy to punish (if the opponent doesn't trip, anyways); I've been punished after hitting someone with it before because they were at too low percent.
It is handy, though, as it goes through MK's Tornado and starts up a bit faster than Laser, though you can't really follow it up at all.

Also, I disagree with MoosyDoosy on using Shine to punish a Dash Attack, since if they shield it you're in for a heavy punish and it doesn't hit very hard in comparison to say Grab/Ftilt/Jab/Usmash (obviously these are all harder to land), though if they're committed to a DA you can Shield->Punish. It's certainly solid as a mixup, however.

Anyways, disclaimer to make sure you think things over yourself as well, as while it is my goal, I'm by no means a top player.

--------------------------------------------------[EDIT]
Also, I have a question of my own:
Is a boost grab what happens when you input the Usmash too early on a DACUS? I play against a Marth locally, and boost grab seems handy overall, but I honestly can't tell if I'm doing it right.

So basically, my question is "How do you boost grab?"

Last edited:

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
A boost grab is a basically a dash attack cancel grab. So:
Dash -> C-stick down -> grab... this is the same as DACUS if you use Z but without the up input.

You should be able to see a slight (but significant) difference between a dash grab and a boost grab.

FYI following on from learning a boost grab is learning a boost pivot grab:
Dash -> C-stick down -> grab -> control stick back (pivot).

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Dash -> C-stick down -> grab... this is the same as DACUS if you use Z but without the up input.

You should be able to see a slight (but significant) difference between a dash grab and a boost grab.

Are you sure Boost Pivot grab isn't Dash -> C-stick down -> Control stick opposite direction (pivot) -> grab ?
I'm not sure because I haven't used it in a long time...But yeah, it is the same timing as a DACUS.

Also, I disagree with MoosyDoosy on using Shine to punish a Dash Attack, since if they shield it you're in for a heavy punish and it doesn't hit very hard in comparison to say Grab/Ftilt/Jab/Usmash (obviously these are all harder to land), though if they're committed to a DA you can Shield->Punish. It's certainly solid as a mixup, however.
IDK, I've seen DEHF use it against Dash Attack to great effect, and provided you read it correctly, it ruins their momentum and forces them to back off if you hit them with it. If you trip them, you basically get a free read with dash attack and such. But yeah, it's definitely a gamble so only use it if you play against someone frequently and you're absolutely sure they're going to dash attack.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure Boost Pivot grab isn't Dash -> C-stick down -> Control stick opposite direction (pivot) -> grab ? I'm not sure because I haven't used it in a long time...But yeah, it is the same timing as a DACUS.
Pretty sure. A normal pivot grab is grab -> pivot as well, so it makes sense for this to be the same with a boost pivot grab. The inputs are so close to each other that it might seem simultaneous though.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7

All right, thank you; I'll be sure to practice both.

Thor

Smash Champion
Can't you pivot grab with grab -> analog stick opposite direction AND analog stick opposite direction of dash -> grab button if you do the timing right? I thought it was how one does a sliding pivot grab versus an almost stationary pivot grab, but I'm not sure.

And can you only boost pivot grab with one of these, or with both?

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Can't you pivot grab with grab -> analog stick opposite direction AND analog stick opposite direction of dash -> grab button if you do the timing right? I thought it was how one does a sliding pivot grab versus an almost stationary pivot grab, but I'm not sure.

I guess so. I've been using it as analog opposite -> grab, but I guess both works with the right timing. :/

Okay, there is absolutely no reason to do anything other than simply A A to jab cancel. Its merely all about (as usual) how you time your button presses. There is a window before the IASA frame for jab1 where if you press an attack button you go into the next part of the jab combo. By waiting until the IASA frame to press A again you do not go into the next part of the jab. Therefore, you can jab -> ftilt perfectly by merely getting the timing down. No additional inputs necessary at all. I am not even sure where this crouch canceling thing came from for jabs.

Thanks.
Reflector is an all-round crappy move. Do not use it. For whenever you might consider using the move in many cases there are like 2-3 better things you could have done. Trying to hit someone in the air with it? Bair, Nair, Dair woudl have been better moves to have used. The only exceptions are when hitting someone through walls when you cannot otherwise hit them (picto chat, PS1). Or for its intended purpose to reflect useful projectiles. As in the only projectiles worth reflecting are those with good properties such as somewhat charged aura sphere, charge shot, strong missles, nades, naners, etc. Otherwise, power shielding is superior to reflecting in most cases.

A standard pivot grab is dashing forward, then shoving the stick in the other direction to cause your character to come to a skid. During this skid animation you can press the grab button and the character will do a pivot grab.

To get the boost pivot grab requires dash attack canceling. Dash attack can be canceled with an usmash or grab input in the first few frames of the move. By getting the pivot grab you are buffering a pivot grab action to cancel the dash attack. So pretty much your input will be

dash forward -> dash attack -> shove stick other direction + grab button.

The reason to use the c-stick down is because if you press the A button during the first 1-2 frames of your dash from standing you go into a fsmash instead. By using the c-stick down you go into a dash attack immediately from standing 1-2 frame faster than you would have by using the A button.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Okay, there is absolutely no reason to do anything other than simply A A to jab cancel. Its merely all about (as usual) how you time your button presses. There is a window before the IASA frame for jab1 where if you press an attack button you go into the next part of the jab combo. By waiting until the IASA frame to press A again you do not go into the next part of the jab. Therefore, you can jab -> ftilt perfectly by merely getting the timing down. No additional inputs necessary at all. I am not even sure where this crouch canceling thing came from for jabs.

Reflector is an all-round crappy move. Do not use it. For whenever you might consider using the move in many cases there are like 2-3 better things you could have done. Trying to hit someone in the air with it? Bair, Nair, Dair woudl have been better moves to have used. The only exceptions are when hitting someone through walls when you cannot otherwise hit them (picto chat, PS1). Or for its intended purpose to reflect useful projectiles. As in the only projectiles worth reflecting are those with good properties such as somewhat charged aura sphere, charge shot, strong missles, nades, naners, etc. Otherwise, power shielding is superior to reflecting in most cases.

A standard pivot grab is dashing forward, then shoving the stick in the other direction to cause your character to come to a skid. During this skid animation you can press the grab button and the character will do a pivot grab.

To get the boost pivot grab requires dash attack canceling. Dash attack can be canceled with an usmash or grab input in the first few frames of the move. By getting the pivot grab you are buffering a pivot grab action to cancel the dash attack. So pretty much your input will be

dash forward -> dash attack -> shove stick other direction + grab button.

The reason to use the c-stick down is because if you press the A button during the first 1-2 frames of your dash from standing you go into a fsmash instead. By using the c-stick down you go into a dash attack immediately from standing 1-2 frame faster than you would have by using the A button.
Really, I'd always thought that the habit of just jab cancelling with A presses at the right moment was a bad habit, are you sure that you don't have to crouch? If so, that's really helpful!

Also, as for Reflector the best use I can think of is when you Dthrow someone at fairly high percents, you can jump forwards and Shine to hit them then retreat (if they're fast enough to counterattack otherwise). It can also be a good change from Ftilt out of Jab cancelling/RapidJab, because of the trip chance, but that's a bit risky.

Anyways, my questions:
1) I think I've been doing Boost Grabbing correctly but how noticeable should the difference be between it and a dash grab? DACUS -> BDACUS, just a little bit, or somewhere in between?

2) I may be fighting an MK who likes to Dsmash everything a lot, is there a more reliable way to punish than just runaway lasers and read when he'll Tornado/Usmash/SL instead of Dsmash? I can beat him reliably, but of course it would be nice to make it easier.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Really, I'd always thought that the habit of just jab cancelling with A presses at the right moment was a bad habit, are you sure that you don't have to crouch? If so, that's really helpful!

Also, as for Reflector the best use I can think of is when you Dthrow someone at fairly high percents, you can jump forwards and Shine to hit them then retreat (if they're fast enough to counterattack otherwise). It can also be a good change from Ftilt out of Jab cancelling/RapidJab, because of the trip chance, but that's a bit risky.

Anyways, my questions:
1) I think I've been doing Boost Grabbing correctly but how noticeable should the difference be between it and a dash grab? DACUS -> BDACUS, just a little bit, or somewhere in between?

2) I may be fighting an MK who likes to Dsmash everything a lot, is there a more reliable way to punish than just runaway lasers and read when he'll Tornado/Usmash/SL instead of Dsmash? I can beat him reliably, but of course it would be nice to make it easier.
- For Jab, yeah, crouching/ not crouching after the second hit makes no difference, which is helpful I suppose.
- Reflector is a great move, my favourite is as an anti air for characters who enjoy a short hop approach every now and then.

Boost grab goes slightly further than dash grab, a good indicator is to chaingrab Marth, if they get out by spamming Up B, you're doing it wrong (dash grab after the first 2 grabs won't work)

If you know the Mk will dsmash and you DO block it, just dash attack/ jab/ *gatling combo oos (only if they're between 10-60%) or if you know they'll dsmash again after the first one hits your shield, just short hop -> falling dair -> something else depending on what happens after the dair. If they stay grounded, grab/ u-tilt/ jab and if it pops them up, just Bair/ Nair/ Dair. Make sure to fast fall into the auto cancel frames incase they air dodge, so you can grab them afterward.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
- For Jab, yeah, crouching/ not crouching after the second hit makes no difference, which is helpful I suppose.
- Reflector is a great move, my favourite is as an anti air for characters who enjoy a short hop approach every now and then.

Boost grab goes slightly further than dash grab, a good indicator is to chaingrab Marth, if they get out by spamming Up B, you're doing it wrong (dash grab after the first 2 grabs won't work)

If you know the Mk will dsmash and you DO block it, just dash attack/ jab/ *gatling combo oos (only if they're between 10-60%) or if you know they'll dsmash again after the first one hits your shield, just short hop -> falling dair -> something else depending on what happens after the dair. If they stay grounded, grab/ u-tilt/ jab and if it pops them up, just Bair/ Nair/ Dair. Make sure to fast fall into the auto cancel frames incase they air dodge, so you can grab them afterward.
I'm learning to Boost Grab specifically for a local Marth, actually. So I guess I'll find out soon!

As for the MK Dsmash: that's what I've been doing, so that's good to hear. On the other hand, I'd love to have an easier (harder) punish for it, but whatever.

Thanks for the help!

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Well if the downsmash isn't spaced you can Dsmash Oos (15%)

And if it is spaced, go for dash usmash oos when he's at ko percent, aside from that, you can reflector and hope for a trip.

Thor

Smash Champion
I fought a DK this weekend and he was better than I (I couldn't beat him with Pikachu and my Falco could handle him inconsistently, though he was getting beaten solidly by my MK). My question is, how do I punish spaced bair on shield? I tried [as instant as my inconsistent opportunities to practice allow (no Wii on me right now)] aerial phantasm OoS, to reset the situation and get on some percent, but I'm unsure if this is an actual punish or not because I only did it a few times (thought of it later) and I'm not sure if he can (power)shield this and then come hit me (or just dsmash me for it). It was nice for assisting my camping (Which I did a fair bit of), but is there some other punish I should look for if he bairs my shield from afar and low to the ground (and can it autocancel if he bairs my shield high, and if so, does IAP OoS not work?)?

Also just general tips for fighting DK would be useful - I tried to jab a lot when near him (or grab -> CG -> gatling or dair at the end), laser a ton, phantasm to reset, and not usmash until about 160+% (to not stale it) [unless gatling combo because I can refresh it with 9 camping lasers or some of those and phantasm/jab/whatever] but I'd like additional advice so I don't feel a need to go MK against DK [will do so in tournament if that's what it comes to, but people are considering a local MK ban so that may not be an option... even though I'm literally the only guy who plays MK and I almost never use him -_-].

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
If the bair is spaced and retreating/ rising from a sh or a full hop, you may be able to das -> usmash oos, or nair/ bair oos depending on what direction you're facing in respect to the DK. Your best bet would be to reset the situation with run away SHDL/ SHL.

Fighting Dk in general, if you want to approach/ juggle/ trap him, nair with Falco does wonders (not just against Dk, against anyone really) it's great for platform pressure and eating air dodges, Dk's also big enough where you can run in with a rising nair after a shdl/ shl and shield poke him/ catch him if they attempt to attack you.

Walk up f-tilt (spaced obviously) is really a great option because Dk can not shield grab you for it, so a situation could be shdl/shl -> walk forward and f-tilt at the right/ max spacing from Dk.

You can air release Dk to BDacus (you have to charge it slightly) this is also relying on the Dk having a mashing error and around the 148-160 mark, they mash hard.

For general, Jab/ Jab 1+2 and rapid Jab are all great against Dk (only rapid jab if it's spaced from the previous jab 1/2) all three are great at disrupting him up close, setting up for a grab to keep him out and just racking the percent up.

U-Tilt is also a great move to juggle Dk with from below platforms or if they try to land with an aerial/ dodge or if they jump toward you.

As for the basics, keep an eye for the punch, make sure you know when they have a full charge/ have anything above a 6 wind, and mix up your recovery, don't phantasm right into Dk if they seem to be very ready to punish you hard, sometimes just jumping back to the stage and grabbing the ledge -> something works very well.

If you're unsure what ground moves you can punish effectively, go for a Jab/ Dash attack/ Gatling combo as a punish option.

Thor

Smash Champion
If the bair is spaced and retreating/ rising from a sh or a full hop, you may be able to das -> usmash oos, or nair/ bair oos depending on what direction you're facing in respect to the DK. Your best bet would be to reset the situation with run away SHDL/ SHL.

Fighting Dk in general, if you want to approach/ juggle/ trap him, nair with Falco does wonders (not just against Dk, against anyone really) it's great for platform pressure and eating air dodges, Dk's also big enough where you can run in with a rising nair after a shdl/ shl and shield poke him/ catch him if they attempt to attack you.

Walk up f-tilt (spaced obviously) is really a great option because Dk can not shield grab you for it, so a situation could be shdl/shl -> walk forward and f-tilt at the right/ max spacing from Dk.

You can air release Dk to BDacus (you have to charge it slightly) this is also relying on the Dk having a mashing error and around the 148-160 mark, they mash hard.

For general, Jab/ Jab 1+2 and rapid Jab are all great against Dk (only rapid jab if it's spaced from the previous jab 1/2) all three are great at disrupting him up close, setting up for a grab to keep him out and just racking the percent up.

U-Tilt is also a great move to juggle Dk with from below platforms or if they try to land with an aerial/ dodge or if they jump toward you.

As for the basics, keep an eye for the punch, make sure you know when they have a full charge/ have anything above a 6 wind, and mix up your recovery, don't phantasm right into Dk if they seem to be very ready to punish you hard, sometimes just jumping back to the stage and grabbing the ledge -> something works very well.

If you're unsure what ground moves you can punish effectively, go for a Jab/ Dash attack/ Gatling combo as a punish option.
A lot of this advice was helpful, but I would like to ask one thing specifically: If I'm trapped near the ledge (and therefore can't run away lasering), if DK bairs my shield, is it possible for me to OoS IAP to punish or at least reset (because he couldn't punish)? That is, would this be a fast enough option that the most he could do is powershield and chase after me (but since I'm center stage I then have room to work with)? Or can he dsmash me or something for trying to do this? I don't have the means to test this right now or I just would : /

For the record, most of these were bairs right as he was landing.

And since you mention bair OoS, if I can tell he's coming in with a bair, should I turn around so that I can shield -> bair him myself? Obviously I want the chaingrab if he's low percent, and tomahawking is an option, but would it often be better to be facing the ledge if I'm near it so that I can bair him away to help get on some percent and give me back a bit of space?

Also thank you.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Pretty sure I said to dash attack if he lands with bair.

IAP oos would take too long to punish a landing aerial that isn't Fair/ Dair.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Well if he lands with Dair you can literally walk to the side or foxtrot once to the left/ right of him, then unleash bird fury.

IAP as a punish is only really useful when you have something that's close to -30 on block, at that point it's probably a rising aerial, or a smash on your shield.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Bird fury is a joke made toward Falco and him being a bird.

Regardless of how I type, I'm not always serious, despite this being a Q&A thread.
I do answer questions properly and correctly to the best of my abilities though.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Can you jump cancel grab in brawl?
Can falco run away turn laser in brawl?
Can you tech the ledge in brawl?
Can you tech the ground in brawl?

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Can you jump cancel grab in brawl?
Can falco run away turn laser in brawl?
Can you tech the ledge in brawl?
Can you tech the ground in brawl?
-LzR- is completely right. However, you can skid-cancelled shield-grab in Brawl (if you shield out of a run and grab within 3 frames of putting up shield (it takes 3 frames to surround you but any attacking hitting you while it comes up is powershielded), you'll still dash grab. If you shield and grab 4 frames or later after shielding, you'll do a standing grab). If you stop running for one frame [skid animation] and put up shield, any grab you do, even on the first frame of shield coming up, you'll do a standing grab).

Also, teching timing is more tricky in Brawl because you can't just hit the button 20 frames before hitting the ledge, but have to hit the button AFTER being hit AND 20 frames before hitting the ledge. So you often have much less time to actually tech the ledge (in that way, Melee has a buffer on teching in a way that Brawl doesn't). Also note that in both games, if you hit R/L, you will tech for the next 20 frames, but be unable to tech for 40 frames thereafter, and hitting the R/L button resets this "unable to tech window" without giving you "will tech if hitting a surface" frames, essentially just extending the time you can't tech. So don't mash R/L if you want to tech.

[You probably knew almost or all of this, but it doesn't hurt to say it anyway, in case you didn't know one or two of these things...]

Last edited:

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Thanks thor I learned alot. I know more about melee but even in that game I still don't grasp the little nuances

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
QUESTION: if falco's lazarz completely dominate the neutral then why isn't falco superior to fox in a perfect game?

Top Bottom