• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Sup how do I deal with your jab?
Should I just SDI away and never try to punish it unless I am sure he ****ed up?

-There is enough time between falco's jabs to jump out with a lot of characters since falco's jab puts them into the air at first.
-I'm pretty sure the SDI isn't enough to automatically SDI right behind falco if you get his by a single of his jabs, but there is certainly enough if you SDI with multiple of his hits. (I'd have to check that meta-game minute video to see if that had anything)
-Also, most characters again have the option of being able to spotdodge/roll/shield any jab cancels. Yet Falco can PS any of Ike's jabs from our single jab cancel.

You can punish any of Falco's options depending upon the character, but some simply cannot and the best thing is simply retreat. Any character with a fast aerial can punish Falco for doing an AAA. You can either do it by quickly SDI behind him. Also, SDI up-towards so that when he does finish the attack your aerial out of hitlag will hit him as you fall slightly behind him from the extra height you gained from DI up. Alternatively, the same thing happens even if he keeps the move going.

Jab cancels like I said can be punished, but after looking at ike, I am fairly convinced that Falco has advantages out of it on certain options. Ike could jab falco after one jab cancel, but due to ike having to fall to the ground first to do it, that gives Falco enough time to powershield any buffered jabs by ike and counter with a shield grab.

tl;dr You can punish him, but depends on your character. Give stuff a try and see if you get away with punishing him.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Can't Peach SDI behind us and Nair us to hell? They'd have to see themselves getting hit or react INSTANTLY, but just looking at the characters I know can do something similar, Peach strikes me as someone who could actually punish.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
is there an easier method to dacus/bdacus'ing? still cant figure out how DEHF or Gluttony consistently does them

Like I have tried telling numerous people...

Control stick directions
5 neutral, 6 forward, etc.

Dash and maintain the control stick at 1 or 3 when doing a Dacus. This acts as a command to dash forward and will still be registered as UP when you do an upsmash. So, left thumb at 1 or 3 position to start dash and maintain that location. C-stick down with other thumb for the dash attack, then use another finger to hit one of the shoulder buttons to register an A attack (which with the control stick in 1 or 3 position will become an upsmash).

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Ah, so I'mma have to claw it.

@Ryker: <3. My control scheme is X for jump, Y for grab, and L for jump (for instant air phantasm since I don't use Y for jump).

I'll try this.

You don't have to claw o.0 Hitting the grab button (Z) works for an A attack input. Your index/middle finger should easily get to hitting that shoulder button.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You don't have to claw o.0 Hitting the grab button (Z) works for an A attack input. Your index/middle finger should easily get to hitting that shoulder button.
This. It just takes practice, same as anything. Your control scheme isn't inhospitable.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
IIRC a dacus done with grab goes less far than a dacus done with attack.

I personnally claw my index to reach the A button whenever I want to dacus (that's also how Glutonny does it). But you can set Z to attack if you're using Y to grab.

Also for Bdacus there's a weird thumb movement that you can do to simplify the double C up input, but I don't know how to explain it.

Dude, I've seen players hold a Gamecube controller like it was a fight stick.
^I have only seen one person play like that. Also, that was the first time I ever even knew what a fight stick was. And this was only a few months ago. How the hell do you play on a fight stick?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
IIRC a dacus done with grab goes less far than a dacus done with attack.

I personnally claw my index to reach the A button whenever I want to dacus (that's also how Glutonny does it). But you can set Z to attack if you're using Y to grab.

Also for Bdacus there's a weird thumb movement that you can do to simplify the double C up input, but I don't know how to explain it.
The grab button is a shortcut for Attack+Shield so it would make no sense for it go be shorter since it's the same button.

swordsaint

Smash Master
it's because if you use the grab button too soon it dash cancel grabs, but if you use the attack button you can cancel in this time frame without grabbing, and so the 'dacus' is closer to perfect (bdacus)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
The grab button is a shortcut for Attack+Shield so it would make no sense for it go be shorter since it's the same button.
It's actually a shortcut for "shield then attack" which is why it's less effective (and why you airdodge when you press Z in the air)

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Dude, I've seen players hold a Gamecube controller like it was a fight stick.
Really? That's interesting. Could my Falco benefit significantly if I learned how to claw? I used to claw on some Xbox games, but I'm not really sure how it would benefit me on Smash...

Once you know what inputs you need to make. Test out different methods for getting those inputs to work most often for you. That is the typical response you will be getting, and one I expect from Drew too lul

From thine opinion, I do not think "claw" is very important in brawl. It was useful in melee for some people in attempting to get very precise timings down. In brawl though, you can easily switch around the control scheme to accommodate any changes needed. There are two jump buttons and two shield buttons on default. Use them as you will. Practice, practice, practice.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I may keep what I've got then if that's the case. After changing about 5 or so times this summer I finally like my controls. I don't think switching now would change up my game enough to really be worth it...

I was really just curious though if there were any specific techniques that benefit from the claw. But thanks for the answer!

M@v

Subarashii!
I've just recently gotten a lot better at bdacusing consistently. I rarely ever mess up from faulty input anymore. I make my mistakes from mistiming when to initiate the bdacus out of the endlag.

flick the control stick, and instead of trying to double c stick straight up to 12, double c stick to 10. It still registers as upsmash and is more natural for your thumb to move faster.

I still need to learn charging the bdacus though. But that's just a matter of holding z right after the bdacus input.

As for regular dacus, you don't have to claw.

Initiate dash, Hit down on the cstick as your rolling the control stick up, and hit z(hold to charge). The better the timing, the farther the dacus. It can't go as far as bdacus regardless if you time it perfect.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
I've just recently gotten a lot better at bdacusing consistently. I rarely ever mess up from faulty input anymore. I make my mistakes from mistiming when to initiate the bdacus out of the endlag.

flick the control stick, and instead of trying to double c stick straight up to 12, double c stick to 10. It still registers as upsmash and is more natural for your thumb to move faster.

I still need to learn charging the bdacus though. But that's just a matter of holding z right after the bdacus input.

As for regular dacus, you don't have to claw.

Initiate dash, Hit down on the cstick as your rolling the control stick up, and hit z(hold to charge). The better the timing, the farther the dacus. It can't go as far as bdacus regardless if you time it perfect.
M@V- You should know that alot of people already know this information about bdacus and how you do it.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
By jab do you mean just the beginning of the sequence, or the whole spinning sequence?
jab, if he spotdodges grab him after on reaction
jab if it hits, grab him anyway
:troll:

no but seriously learn to just punish it with grabs imo

edit: once you do that, the harder the read you get the more damage you can put out
i.e.
dairs, usmash
or fsmash if you get that good read lol

Top Bottom