• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I know I can pick them up with fair when they're thrown at me. I'll have to try that out when they're on the ground.
and dtilt?
hmm sounds good.
You could always slip on them until they fall off the edge. That's my best strat right now for them LoL j/k.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Touching the bananas takes away your ability to grab. I dont like that and usually diddys seem to **** harder when you mess with their bananas so i toss the banana as soon as i see an opening. Fair usually is your best bet to catch bananas since they will be thrown at you often. For the ground, maybe try dtilt.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Touching the bananas takes away your ability to grab. I dont like that and usually diddys seem to **** harder when you mess with their bananas so i toss the banana as soon as i see an opening. Fair usually is your best bet to catch bananas since they will be thrown at you often. For the ground, maybe try dtilt.
Using their own bananas on them pressures them IMO, as long as they don't just pick them up again.
I.E. fair wall by a banana next to a ledge is pretty intimidating, I think.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
is countering skull bash, rollout, egg roll, and zamus's flip jump attack a good idea? will the first three pass through marth before he can attack back?

note: i originally added pound to that list but i forgot it outprioritized the world
I don't see anything wrong with countering those and I'm pretty sure all of them will hit (maybe not ZSS's down B). skull bash and rollout hit you and then stop, so counter should hit them. I don't think egg roll is fast enough so counter SHOULD hit it.
It's not really necessary to counter those though, sometimes you won't even have time to consider that option. :/

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
it's not necessary to shield dodge or hit them when i could just counter, if it's guaranteed..
see my edit

Also, countering ZSS's down B is pretty good if the opponent is trying to spike you.
Pikachu might use skull bash to recover, counter is pretty good here too.
I don't think you should run into many egg rolls/rollouts (you're talking about jiggz neutral B right?).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Actually I believe if you hold A you can still grab. Not sure but you can still attack in the air with C if you hold A often or so.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm looking for a good secondary. Does Marth cover ROB's bad matchups decently and/or is a good overall secondary to pick up?

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
someday...

i may have found a practical use for <100% ledge attack. if they're on the edge it hits them backwards, off of it, like some hitbox that ike's dash attack has, and a few others. so they'll be hit off the edge.

edit: nevermind, steel informed me that this was known and that a lot of ledge attacks do that.

brb suicide

Denzi

Smash Master
Here's a question:

So I heard that Marth has a Dthrow CG ending it a tipper Fsmash?
Is this real/how do I do it if it is?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Here's a question:

So I heard that Marth has a Dthrow CG ending it a tipper Fsmash?
Is this real/how do I do it if it is?
No. Marth has a fthrow CG to a tipper fsmash on zero and that's only on a small percent of the cast.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Let me clear this up for you guys.
On characters like fox falco and sheik, Fthrow X2 to dair or Fsmash is guaranteed. Dthrow to grab CG can be intercepted with DI or a quick jab i believe, but it is mostly safe if you do it once. From there you can Fthrow to Fsmash and Dair again.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
Well I found it here, and it's the same guy that discovered the Pikachu CG on Falco to 120% (as well as a couple other CGs), so I thought it'd be fairly valid.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=12810
This works, you need to buffer marth's dash though, YOU DON'T BUFFER THE GRAB.

Nothing. (< the guys name of that blog) is Michael Hey who was the one who posted the Pika CG's, this is how he said these cg's are done.

"key point is
A: buffer the dash (not the grab)
B: dash attack cancel grab".

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
He said it didn't work before Michael Hey posted how to do it.
where did he post how to do it? Where is the vid at?

How do I bring out the full potential of Marth I think I'm starting to understand him a little more and that I have to be some what passive aggressive with him. I figured if I slowed down a little bit and attack when I see an opening or when I know my moves will beat out theirs I will get better. I also am trying to come back on leaving my self vulnerable. That's all I can think of anything else?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
where did he post how to do it? Where is the vid at?

How do I bring out the full potential of Marth I think I'm starting to understand him a little more and that I have to be some what passive aggressive with him. I figured if I slowed down a little bit and attack when I see an opening or when I know my moves will beat out theirs I will get better. I also am trying to come back on leaving my self vulnerable. That's all I can think of anything else?
What your supposed to do is always be thinking how can I improve in my knowledge of controlling Marth and constantly pressuring my opponent. Most of the time you want to be aggressive, creating openings and messing up your opponent and conditioning them. Also, you must know when to punish and zone (as in the DK and MK match-up).

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
How can I practice pressuring my opponent and how do I recover from/get out of traps.
When you DI, do you aim for the corners, use an aerial and fast fall?
I'm trying to learn to properly DI on wifi.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
How can I practice pressuring my opponent and how do I recover from/get out of traps.
When you DI, do you aim for the corners, use an aerial and fast fall?
I'm trying to learn to properly DI on wifi.
Simply by playing opponents, especially in friendlies as you can manage to try new things. It depends on the traps, but same rule applies, you find what works, what's safest, and what's the alternatives.

When you DI you SDI towards the corner during hitstun --> DI towards the corner --> Jump/Double Jump --> Fair x2 is your best way to survive.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Simply by playing opponents, especially in friendlies as you can manage to try new things. It depends on the traps, but same rule applies, you find what works, what's safest, and what's the alternatives.

When you DI you SDI towards the corner during hitstun --> DI towards the corner --> Jump/Double Jump --> Fair x2 is your best way to survive.
You SDI towards the corner?
I always thought you were supposed to SDI "into the attack" or something like that.

._. I'm totally wrong, aren't I?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
You SDI towards the corner?
I always thought you were supposed to SDI "into the attack" or something like that.

._. I'm totally wrong, aren't I?
Well in actuality it depends on the attack, but strong knockback moves normally you want to DI out and away, it might not even mean SDI towards the corner, but the window to SDI is tiny so I say might aswell. Refer yo swordgard's DI thread, it has a little more info.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Is there enough hitstun in a ShDB1 to setup a free attack into a U/FAir?
No, there isnt enough stun, your at a -4 frame disadvantage iirc. Which isnt really 'bad' but its not enough to keep them from just shielding. It IS possible if you catch them offguard, but its not a "free attack" like uair to usmash exc...

Top Bottom