• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Kishin

Smash Ace
Darn, there SHOULD be an official one. I've heard Olimar's shield is really good and I landed a full shield break on wolf and it didn't break...

Sorry if it sounds like I'm getting impatient but my other questions still stand:
Full charged shield breakers eat shields more or equal to a non-charged shield breaker?
And, will tilting a shield help reduce shield damage?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Darn, there SHOULD be an official one. I've heard Olimar's shield is really good and I landed a full shield break on wolf and it didn't break...

Sorry if it sounds like I'm getting impatient but my other questions still stand:
Full charged shield breakers eat shields more or equal to a non-charged shield breaker?
And, will tilting a shield help reduce shield damage?
I believe it's no to both of them. But then again I've never hit someone's shield with a Full Charged SB o.o angling your shield might prevent getting hit with the actual move, though, not sure.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me lol. :D
I'm gonna focus on improving my powershielding and punishing.
I didn't you could hit din's fire lol. I think I'll just mostly shield or dodge it though, as he might explode it early on.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
#1: Another Marth. The guy think's he's a great smasher because he rolls and counter spams and plays with items.
Okay, first off this guy doesn't know how to use Marth. I watched him fair and dtilt like only 2 times. He spams counter whenever he sees me approach with a fair and he uses mainly smashes when on the ground. He also rolls A LOT. Seriously, it was ridiculous. The guy is really predictable, but it'll take effort for me to beat his counter spam because my Marth's grab game sux. I might use MK against him because MM is a nono.

-How can I improve my Marth's grab game?

Marth's Grab game isn't bad. Just use them for setups for aerials and smashes at low percents. If you get a grab by the edge, throw them off and gimp them if you can. It takes practice to figure out what can work after each throw, but use Uthrow followed by Uairs and continue juggling your opponents after that.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Marth's Grab game isn't bad. Just use them for setups for aerials and smashes at low percents. If you get a grab by the edge, throw them off and gimp them if you can. It takes practice to figure out what can work after each throw, but use Uthrow followed by Uairs and continue juggling your opponents after that.
lol I didn't say Marth's grab game was bad.
I said MY Marth's grab game was bad.

I need to use Uthrow more, I hardly ever use it.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Bthrow is balls don't use it. Dthrow does more damage and is better for setups. Uthrow can kill, it's fun. Especially on the top platform on battle field, it can kill GnW at like 90% I think lol.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
can we replace marth's b throw with ness's?
just wondering.
How is F throw in contrast to D throw in terms of setups? I know in laggy situations f throw can be good for Fair, but D throw has the F smash at small percents. is there a preference? I always sort of considered F throw at higher percentages.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Well, dthrow is kinda like a fthrow in the opposite direction.
I use fthrow/dthrow to get the opponent closer to the ledge and corner them.
I guess it depends on which direction you want the opponent to go.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
can we replace marth's b throw with ness's?
just wondering.
How is F throw in contrast to D throw in terms of setups? I know in laggy situations f throw can be good for Fair, but D throw has the F smash at small percents. is there a preference? I always sort of considered F throw at higher percentages.
Fthrow usually works more options, but mixing it up is always good.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Fthrow usually works more options, but mixing it up is always good.
Yeah it depends on the character. On Zelda and Snake I almost always do a U-throw because of your options below but against someone like a midweight I generally mix it up a lot. Against heavies I generally go for F-throw tipper, then some U-throws, and then some D-throws or B-throws to mix it up.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
I'd test it out right now, but I have a chem lab write-up to do. D:

If nobody confirms it before I'm done, I'll do it.

I'll test:
-uncharged SB vs. full SB on a full shield
-full SB on an angled full shield

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Mehh. Bthrow has a different trajectory than dthrow so I use it sometimes, still. Dthrow is almost strictly better in all instances, but there are situations for all of Marth's moves

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
If melee marth could go to brawl and retain all of his original characteristics, albiet using the brawl engine (no wave dash or l-cancel, add auto sweetspot ledge and autocancels, retain original DB recovery and shield breaker swing/properties) how would he do?

Also, which characters are best pursued off the stage when edgeguarding and which characters should i stay on the stage against? or should i mix it up for all characters?

lastly as a general question, does landing affect hitstun? i notice i can usually fair -> fair with impunity in the air as long as they aren't knocked too far back, and that is really useful but i can't fair -> fair if they touch the ground after the first fair, it just gets power shielded everytime.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Can someone confirm this?
Okay I tested it.

-Charging SB gives it a LITTLE more shield breaking power. I'd say that since people probably won't just stand there with their shield out while you're charging SB, it's probably best to try and hit the opponents shield with an uncharged SB when you know it's weakened.
**I'm pretty sure this info is in a certain SB thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166145&highlight=shield+breaker
It doesn't say "charging SB breaks shields more" straight up,
but you can figure it out if you put 2 and 2 together.

-Tilting the shield doesn't do anything for you in terms of how much your shield breaks.
[I forgot to test this with a fully charged SB, but I pretty sure the above applies to that as well]

I have a quick question. How come none of you Marth players are ever in the Marth xat chat?
Too lazy to find the thread w/ the link?
idk.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
If melee marth could go to brawl and retain all of his original characteristics, albiet using the brawl engine (no wave dash or l-cancel, add auto sweetspot ledge and autocancels, retain original DB recovery and shield breaker swing/properties) how would he do?

Also, which characters are best pursued off the stage when edgeguarding and which characters should i stay on the stage against? or should i mix it up for all characters?

lastly as a general question, does landing affect hitstun? i notice i can usually fair -> fair with impunity in the air as long as they aren't knocked too far back, and that is really useful but i can't fair -> fair if they touch the ground after the first fair, it just gets power shielded everytime.
Marth would own ***. His swing SB would own the ledge.

Basically don't let anyone recover easily, but be very wary with Meta Knight. Most don't go offstage too much against him, if at all. But everyone else, two Fairs plz.

Well it doesn't effect hitstun, its just the positioning after you hit them. If they hit the ground, they gain invincibilty frames before the get up.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Marth would own ***. His swing SB would own the ledge.

Basically don't let anyone recover easily, but be very wary with Meta Knight. Most don't go offstage too much against him, if at all. But everyone else, two Fairs plz.

Well it doesn't effect hitstun, its just the positioning after you hit them. If they hit the ground, they gain invincibilty frames before the get up.
Rukkiko that's not it. Hitstun is not affected by landing but the reason you probably can land that second fair if they don't touch the ground is because they can't shield in the air so they air dodge instead and because they are already so close to the ground, they land almost immediately and is hit with the second fair. The hitstun is the same when they are in the air or landing on the ground, it's just that you don't have a shield in the air so only the person on land can block that second fair. Do you get it?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Rukkiko that's not it. Hitstun is not affected by landing but the reason you probably can land that second fair if they don't touch the ground is because they can't shield in the air so they air dodge instead and because they are already so close to the ground, they land almost immediately and is hit with the second fair. The hitstun is the same when they are in the air or landing on the ground, it's just that you don't have a shield in the air so only the person on land can block that second fair. Do you get it?
Stop owning me with your knowledge man -_- Lol thanks, I understand.

Albert.

Smash Master
does anyone else get pissed off that theres like 11 pointless useless threads on the first index page of the Marth Boards?

how come moderators can't just delete these stupid "rate me" and "question" crap threads?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
does anyone else get pissed off that theres like 11 pointless useless threads on the first index page of the Marth Boards?

how come moderators can't just delete these stupid "rate me" and "question" crap threads?
They get locked and then they get buried. I dont know why they dont delete them but, there will always be useless threads, thats just how forums work.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
so if i play snake and marth as mains does that still make me a marth main

SRRY for The NEWB question guys dont yell at me im new to these marth boards blah blah blah xD

and **** metaknight xd

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Why do you need Snake though? Putting time into another character is time that could of be put into Marth, but thats just me.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
you DO know that i dont practice brawl or own it ? right ??

xD

and snake is easy ot pick up and learn specially with my skill

Villi

Smash Lord
Jab vs first hit of Dancing Blade? In general which is better and where would one outshine the other?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I like jab because it beats aerials as well as most moves more then 4 frames, if timed correctly of course.

I dont want to stale my db even more by doing 2% with it xD.

DB can be good, just have the reflex to know if it hit or not, continue the combo if necessary.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I always go first hit DB because you can always stop it and it works fine but if you get the hit, go for the full DB.
I agree with this. If you get the first hit in, get the damage, and finish the combo. It's really not worth it to do the first hit then grab, IMO. It's usually not going to give you as much damage and it won't always give you many options for a follow up combo. If you just finish the DB, you'll probably get more damage in and it's much safer. First hit of DB -> grab is pretty predictable and sometimes hard to pull off. Personal opinion, though.

Top Bottom