• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
idk how accurate it is, but, taken from the Ike boards:
Marth never has to throw the first move and can always beat you out, any move he cant beat on reaction he can interrupt with dolphin slash. Fun point to note, if he DI's up but C sticks down while being hit by aether he can tipper dair you straight out of it.
Even if that isn't exactly true, you want to DI up

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I remember reading that.

I try DIing away or up but it doesn't work for me =(

I guess I just suck.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Marth's not as easy as you guys made him seem, lol. ;-; Probably the hardest character I've tried to pick up so far. >_<

Maybe it's because I'm not used to having a character with good range. I dunno. I won't give up though.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Marth's not as easy as you guys made him seem, lol. ;-; Probably the hardest character I've tried to pick up so far. >_<

Maybe it's because I'm not used to having a character with good range. I dunno. I won't give up though.
Good don't give up, Marth's a simple character, with not many ATs to his name, but to play him efficiently is what you must master. Don't worry, keep at it, you'll get it him.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer

I wasn't serious, that was the ultra simplified version of his metagame. Don't forget those words though, use his disjointed hit box to its fullest potential.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Is there someone who lives close to where I live that can record matches so that we can have 3 or so matches? I'd like assistance on how to improve on my Marth.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Approach!? ICE CLIMBERS?

You camp those *****es until you can cut them down the middle like a hot knife through butter. DON'T GET GRABBED :O By camp, I mean turtling, and by turtling I mean poke poke poke poke poke poke poke poke poke.

Diddy?
Aerials r good. As a starter at least. Perhaps catching his bananas and using them back against him in the same manor he uses them to approach you?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
As a person who never played as marth but is thinking about picking him up for matchup reasons how hard is it to learn marth from a tournament standpoint? I main diddy with secondaries being peach and zss so im already comfortable in picking up hard to use chars.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
As a person who never played as marth but is thinking about picking him up for matchup reasons how hard is it to learn marth from a tournament standpoint? I main diddy with secondaries being peach and zss so im already comfortable in picking up hard to use chars.
It is fairly difficult to use him at tourney level.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Just a question: Does marth's fair autocancel when landing? I want make sure a certain person's facts are straight before misinformation ensues.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Forgive me if this was asked already, and sorry if its a total noob question, but does Marth have any real mindgames? Does his bthrow to fsmash count as one?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Hmmm....it was referenced before, and I just want to bring it back up. Does the Fthrow->Fthrow->Dthrow->Dthrow->Fsmash actually work on fox or others? I think I'm going to go test it, but I've now seen it in a few videos, including some japanese matches. It'd be pretty sexy, but it looks like you can DI out of it. /test

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You can DI out of it. Yui (the JP Fox) was just not thinking about DI at that moment. It's easily escapable after the second fthrow.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
whats the deal with dancing blades and move refreshing/staleing?

does it count as 4 seperate moves? (guessing yes, just making sure)

do the variations count as seperate moves? like would up finish not stale a down finish?

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
Up-Smash OOS sounds like a great tool, but I was wondering if it's fast enough to be used against every attack? Would the lag after Metaknights d-smash for instance be enough to throw out my own Usmash?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee

do the variations count as seperate moves? like would up finish not stale a down finish?
They arent seperated depending on which variation. They all count as a dancing blade hit, your forward b move. Going forward, forward, up, up. Does the same thing as forward, forward, down, forward.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

Yes, it does count as four separate moves.
No, iirc, I don't think the different variations restore from each other (so you can't do down hit fourth to restore up hit fourth).
Up-Smash OOS sounds like a great tool, but I was wondering if it's fast enough to be used against every attack? Would the lag after Metaknights d-smash for instance be enough to throw out my own Usmash?
It works on quite a few moves, but I doubt it will work on something like MK dsmash very often, usually at high percents, DS oos is a better punisher, or DB/SH fair overall.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The feet hitbox of Marth's usmash has very bad horizontal range. It's around on par with with the horizontal range of uair.

MK's dsmash, has good range. A reasonably well spaced dsmash will not be punished by usmash, not even a "badly" spaced dsmash can. It has to be HORRIBLY spaced. i.e. him ontop of you, for usmash to work.

With tap jump on, you can usmash out of shield, so it will come out around the same time a shield drop to dancing blade would; big difference is that usmash is always like 17%, and goes up to 22%.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of U smash, I was watching vids of Neo and Minus, and is U smash the best way to counter falco's phantom, or phantasm, or whatever? I don't see how it works, especially seeing how you could dash and punish with dancing blade or even F smash. but if it is effective, can someone explain why?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I repeat the last part of my previous post:

Minimum 17%.
Up to 22%.

In other words, it's a lot more damage then your fsmash or dancing blade.

If you can hit with it, WHY NOT?

"Hi, my name is Snake, and instead of nair, which I'll be guaranteed to hit with right now, I'll just jab combo"

DAMAGE DAMAGE DAMAGE. UP SMASH IS MARTH'S MOST DAMAGING MOVE.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
No, just shield drop Dancing blade of DS OoS for that.

Usmash OoS is a weird punish. I don't even know how to give you an example of when one would use it lol

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
No, just shield drop Dancing blade of DS OoS for that.

Usmash OoS is a weird punish. I don't even know how to give you an example of when one would use it lol
I would guess a shielded aerial or smash while its fresh. It's a great mixup, people expect DB then BOOM "wtf I went vertical???" lol

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Upsmash out of shield is 12 frames or whatever, it cancels your shield.
DB out of shield is 7? frames plus the 4 from dancing blade.
DS of course is 5 frames = luv.

If you can hit with it... hit with it.

Marth's worst move?
imo, dash atack.

But Dash attack isn't -too bad-.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Upsmash out of shield is 12 frames or whatever, it cancels your shield.
DB out of shield is 7? frames plus the 4 from dancing blade.
DS of course is 5 frames = luv.

If you can hit with it... hit with it.

Marth's worst move?
imo, dash atack.

But Dash attack isn't -too bad-.
This

But all o f Marth's move have a use. Although there IS bthrow, which is almost totally outclassed by dthrow...

Top Bottom