• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Albert.

Smash Master
Neo

Anyway, does anyone have any tips on what I should be doing in training Mode?

because right now I'm just beating up a MK. And the fun wore off pretty quickly :/

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Neo

Anyway, does anyone have any tips on what I should be doing in training Mode?

because right now I'm just beating up a MK. And the fun wore off pretty quickly :/
I use training mode a LOT.

I work on control there so I know I can move Marth properly, smoothly and so he always does exactly what I want him to do in the middle of a match.

What I do in there is basically the same routine every time, it's become muscle memory. Just swinging my sword around, usually picking a specific point in the background for the tip of my sword to hit. A lot of platform movements, quick edge snaps, working on new ways to get up from the ledge, what to do in what situation, etc.

Just do your own thing in there, it's probably the best method of training when you aren't playing someone else.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Level 9 CPU's are ****ing epic.

Steel doesn't know anything.

Having a Marth ditto with a level 9 CPU who plays exactly like you is like BETTER than the idea of having sex with yourself.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I thought she was a Kirby/ICs player? (I remember seeing ~Kawaii Bunny~ in the female gamers group lol)
She is. I faced her and lost to game h4x. My diddy was trying to recover (nana was already dead so popo was at the ledge), and i got hit with an ice block. My barrels flew off and smacked Popo in the face and he went flying offscreen cuz he was at 148%. I tried to start up my recovery but i dont hold it long enuff and somehow via DI hax he doesnt die and i fall to my death.

P.S. lets brawl nao!

IK im GuD

Smash Rookie
im having a hard time beating snakes. especially snakes that just spam triple A and tilts. i try spacing on them. maybe im just not doing it right. i play marth really well on other characters but when i play snakes i get hit with distance attacks and when i close the gap he just blocks my short hop attacks and uses his tilts. and i dont have the kind of room after that to avoid his up/forward tilt or his A A A spam. i spend most my time short hopping characters but snakes i always get shield grabbed by them or countered with the tilts. even against the nubiest of snakes i have a hard time. any tips on how i can avoid these problems? hope i was specific enough.. -.-

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Is Marth a good secondary/co-main with Wolf?

I currently Main Wolf, and have for quite a few months, but he's D-Tier, and his metagame is getting stale. He's dropping in tiers as well... So I'm looking for another character to pick up. I tried out Marth and I'm loving him so far.
Tiers r 4 queers. Wolf is a great character man.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
If I was to choose the best secondary for Marth, (one that covers as many weaknesses as possible and also is a generally good character to main) what characters come to mind?

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
In all seriousness, i like toon link a lot. The snake matchup is even, and i find it lots easier actually. Idk about mk and DDD though. Falco has good matchups against snake and DDD i think. MK is not that bad with Marth once you get the hang of it. I'd say falco.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
MK or DeDeDe handles Marth weaknesses well (MK,Snake, and DeDeDe)

I went D3 because im not an MK kinda guy, ya digg?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Umm, marth and falco all the way. The falco boards love using marth as a secondary, and think they cover each others weaknesses pretty well.

Jugz

Smash Apprentice
wat are good stages to CP against MK, DDD, and Diddy kong?
For ddd i like to choose small stages as he tends to live a long time and if he is going to kill you the blast zones really dont make a huge difference.

For diddy pretty much stay away from pokemon and final or large flat stages most others are fine.

For Mk i like castle siege but thats me and most would probably disagree.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
ahhh...it's been too long.

Can I get a quick recap on grab releases? I know how they can be effective on some people, for example, squirtle during that matchup, but I have gotten rusty and I know most situations do not call for it. Is there a short basic method of using a grab release?

Pandii

Smash Rookie
Multiple questions :D

When sent vertically, does we fast falling a fair work as well as fast falling a dair? The lag on the dair is astounding.

The faq advocates walking more then running yet most of the videos don't utilize it very much, is it used purely for mix ups then? What can you do when in the dash animation?

How slowly does one knee while grabbing in order to refresh other moves?

When your opponent is under you... what do you do @-@

Is there a list of what characters you can or cannot f-throw -> f-smash? Is it good to build a tendancy to stutter a f-smash for that?

How much slower is a shield -> grab compared to simply just a standing grab?

In order to do an air release -> fair, must I buffer a dash and then jump out of the animation -> fair?

Why does it seem like there are no marth mains in norcal?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you're sent vertically, chances are the lag of dair will be over around the same time you stop your momentum, it definitely isn't as effective as fair, but it's a lot easier as a fast response. I most often use dair, but that's a *silly* choice (to do with laziness).

The guide stating "walking" is really somewhat of a prognosis, I presume new Marths who are rushing around don't know diddly squat about spacing properly, and going slower is a nice prerequisite for getting used to such details. Moving slower also isn't *ever* a bad thing for Marth, in most cases, Marth can set the pace for a match quite well, even against MK.

If they're under 100% or so, MAX knee twice before throwing. Timing? "tick" "tock". If you don't care about throwing, just think tick tock tick tock. I'm not exactly sure about Marth's kneeing though, his is reasonably fast, but not too fast. In the heat of a match I usually just spam it and hope for the best :). Something along the lines of spam spam spam, then throw then go for a dancing blade, and by that point I'm feeling lucky for refreshed moves.

Get away? If you're okay at the spacing you can sometimes go for dairs, but otherwise you want to firmly get to the ground asap. Using Marth's good aerial momentum + fast falling with a fair can cover things quite well though. But don't forget air dodging...

There was.... But Ulevo has probably deleted it by now...

I'd think they should be around the same speed... Using 'Z' is exactly like doing shield and 'a'...

Air release -> fair, doesn't really need a buffered dash, the timing isn't too strict, unlike air release -> nair; where yes, you uneed every single frame you can get to pull it off.

Ask Junk.

Top Bottom