• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Taytertot

Smash Ace
also can someone tell me how to deal with laser camping.
I asked about the falco matchup as well in this thread and smashkng gave me a very detailed answer. (i quoted it here so id recommend reading the whole thing.)

Play aggressive vs Falco. Camping against Falco is a very bad idea. Stay on the ground most of the time when he's in a position to camp. You want to get in and put him in positions where he's unable to camp. Once you hit him out of the ground you rack up damage very quickly against Falco. Walk (unlike during the first 17 frames of your dash, you can shield or do ANY other option anytime) and PS lasers until you're close enough to him and then usually Dash Attack or dash and Side b him under his lasers. Do it from positions where he can't react to that and thinks he's safe to throw out lasers when he isn't. Marth has an animation where he crouches when he runs, abuse that. Not sure if the lowest of lasers can still hit him, but even if they do it's pretty easy to react to him trying to throw out super low lasers. You can shield a laser from close range of course too but every option to punish Falco when he does a silent laser is just a guess. For example he can sidestep your shield grab attempts but if you don't go for it he can be punished for it (although Falco sidestep can SOMETIMES be annoyingly hard to punish). Keep in mind that if you see him attempting double lasers you can react to the first one and when he does SHDL after the first laser he has no other option but to throw out the 2nd laser. He can't AD, FF or throw out aerials. And if he goes for SH single laser then you can aerial approach him much easier, though he gains other options like instead of going for the laser, he can go for FF aerial or air dodge and can control his aerial movement more. If you get hit by a Dair at higher percents while grounded, DI back and do not instantly throw out an air dodge or aerial. If you do, then he can just Bair or Uair you for free. Instead wait and jump where he can't hit you. And of course, don't get grabbed at low %s cause while he can never KO you with the CG, it can lead to him putting a lot of damage on you.

Also try baiting out side b too in positions far enough where you can shield and DB it OoS or just hit him during the start-up (remember that during the first 1/3 of the side b distance he has no hurtbox so you can't hit him there). Back rolling to check out his side bs can be pretty good because if he's getting predictable with his side bs you can punish it by back roll and then side b him. Our back roll has a lot of invincibility frames (invincible between frames 4 and 23 out of the frame total of 35 frames) and is long. Both Marth and Falco can really force each other to guess what the other character will do once you both get close to each other. That's when huge momentum shifts can happen in this matchup from both Marth and Falco. If you feel too unsafe to read with his spot dodges and shielding after the lasers, use full hop retreating FAIR on him. It's the safest attacking option Marth has in that situation. Marth is actually really good against Falco at close range, especially just outside Falco's jab range (I think our side b outranges his jab). Sometimes even if you get hit by jab you can Up b between jabs (usually when he hits you where it "pops" you up). If you're too afraid of the Falco trying to bait the Up b out, just SDI back and away and use a landing spaced Fair, it's always safe on Falco's shield). And you can shield grab anything of the jab but the last multi-hit part (though you can still Up b it). So if you can react to shielding his jab, you can shield grab it for free (jab 2 into multi-hit jab is shield grabbable too). His spaced Ftilt can't be shield grabbed unless you PS it, but it being -17 on shield means you can always shield release and DB him OoS if you are able to react to it.

Juggle him and edge guard him, Marth is one of the best characters at edge guarding Falco. If you see him obviously side bing to the ledge, just edge hog him. But don't let him side b onstage for free. Sometimes you can chase Falco offstage for free and hit him during his side b start-up with Marth's Fair, which often leads to KOs especially at higher percents. Stay a bit away from the edge where you can have control of his side bs into the stage by trying jab or Dtilt out of his side b. If you jab Falco out of his side b, he'll always be forced into the RCO lag landing, giving you a free hit on him with pretty much anything you want but shield breaker if you're quick enough. Even back dash Usmash can hit Falco out of his side b. Just never forget the first 1/3 of his side b rule. Ledge trap Falco by staying a bit away from the ledge so that you can punish his ledge hop Phantasm if you shield or back roll, which is one of the most common ways for a Falco to get off the ledge. If you grab Falco at 0%, you can use 2 Fthrows into Dair spike and then you should be putting him in a position where you can gimp him really easily by edge hogging, side b 1 his Up b or stage spiking him with Up b (or hitting with the weak part of Up b, which makes him lose height and is untechable at such low %s). If too far from the edge, then you can do up to 3 Dthrows into tipper Fsmash after the 2 Fthrows for quick ~40% damage.

As of stages, BF is actually arguably Marth's best neutral stage against Falco. From my experience even with the side b into plataforms Falco gains overall I've felt like Marth benefits more from the stage than Falco does because Marth can cover Falco's options above Marth pretty well with the disjointed aerials hitting below the plataforms.

Overall, I'd say it's an even matchup. Prolly more in Marth's than Falco's favour but I'd say that it's too insignificant of an advantage. Falco wins the neutral game. But Marth makes up for it by being able to rack up damage very fast once he gets in, good edge guarding and being one of the better characters at approaching Falco actually, significantly better than say, Snake or ZSS (thanks to both his speed to rush in and options against Falco at close range). If you're playing the matchup correctly, he'll always eventually lose space to camp against you and he WILL be forced to guess to get back to neutral (Marth usually has to guess too, but that's why you should be paying attention to what the Falco does). Both Marth and Falco can juggle each other very well. While Marth edge guards Falco a lot better than viceversa, Falco can ledge trap Marth pretty well too, especially above 100%. You have to be smart when getting off the ledge. Getting hit by Falco's Fsmash while trying to ledge climb can really hurt. Also Falcos will always be looking for surprise BDACUSes at high %s. Always be aware and prepared for that move, which can be difficult to be 100% of the time. It's one of the more reliable ways for Falco to score KOs. If you get grabbed at high %s, DIing the Dthrow down and away and then do a well timed Air Dodge is probably the best option. At least when it comes to MK, Tyrant has been able to get away so far that DEHF has never able to hit him with a BDACUS afterwards, if MK can do it then Marth should be too. You can DI up too so that the BDACUS doesn't hit you, but when you DI up it's harder to avoid juggles too.
hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Okay so this thread is a bit dead :p So I want to revive it a little bit. Okay, so, I am a Melee player who really wants to extend into Brawl. I am ok in Melee, and have spacing down pretty much. However, what are some big differences between Melee Marth and Brawl Marth? For instance I know that Side b is super good in this game. Heard about grab release stuff etc., But what else?

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
literally everything about the character is different and if you're hoping for him to be similar to melee then you're not going to have a good time.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
literally everything about the character is different and if you're hoping for him to be similar to melee then you're not going to have a good time.
XD Pretty vague, but that doesn't deter me. What do you think a Melee Marth main would be most weak on, on Marth in Brawl? Is dtilt still considered a pretty good poke in neutral? Is Ftilt still a good spacing tool?

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Biggest problem you might have from the start is trying to l cancel fairs or attempt to ken combo and realizing neither of these work. dtilt is still good, ftilt is alright, jab is probably better tho for spacing.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Biggest problem you might have from the start is trying to l cancel fairs or attempt to ken combo and realizing neither of these work. dtilt is still good, ftilt is alright, jab is probably better tho for spacing.
XD Played enough to not l-cancel.........any more :p Do you know if there is a thread on grab release into side b combo's anywhere? Like I remember seeing Mr.R do grab release on MK to Side B 1 to First hit nair to dtilt to turnaround dsmash. Oh and thanks for the fast respond :D

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Okay so this thread is a bit dead :p So I want to revive it a little bit. Okay, so, I am a Melee player who really wants to extend into Brawl. I am ok in Melee, and have spacing down pretty much. However, what are some big differences between Melee Marth and Brawl Marth? For instance I know that Side b is super good in this game. Heard about grab release stuff etc., But what else?
The question you have asked is pretty huge in terms of an answer. But I will try my best to address the differences though Im certainly not the most knowledgeable.

The first and maybe most important thing to realize is that because brawls physics are so much different all playstyles are very different. so right off the bat you need to play marth in such a way that the physics are working for you and that requires a bit of a switch up.

Marth is still very much the space out beast that he was in melee, having one of the best disjointed ranges in the game. But, most attacks in brawl are unsafe in comparison to melee so brawl marth is about being cautious and keeping opponents at the end of his sword. Throwing out safe attacks requires that you space a retreating Fair and trying to get a read or bait out a commitment so that you can go in with sideB (which is much faster and gives good pressure) or more aerial pressure. Marth in general really shines in his air game because he has good air speed and long range attacks. Fair is definitely his go to move in most situations and generally you want to be using a combination of rising and FF Fairs to pressure your opponent, though the gameplan does have to change based on the MU. Dtilt is a great safe move to throw out if you think your opponent is going to approach as it usually ends early enough that you want get punished if they dont choose to approach right away.

Getting a kill with marth is a bit more complicated then it was in melee for several reasons. one is that his Dair only meteor smashes (not spikes anymore) if you tipper it, so its not super safe unless you have a huge opening. Now marth doesnt exactly have difficulty getting a kill but he doesnt have a go to kill move like most characters. there are moves like Fsmash and Dsmash that net kills easily when they connect but they are very unsafe in most situations. Dsmash although is solid if you know you have a small opening as it comes out on frame 6 I believe and a tipper Dsmash works well.

Brawl in general is not very combo oriented so continuing momentum as marth is about closing off options and forcing opponents into traps (marth has a great trap game) or forcing a bad option and punishing. That being said marth does have a few short combos but combos in brawl are more like follow ups that your opponent doesnt have a move to counter with in enough time, though if they DI correctly they can get away. He does have short chain grabs on many characters at low percents.

Remaining safe with aerials requires, in most situations, that you SHFF them so that the hitbox is out for a moment before the rest of the attack is canceled by landing. He does have landing lag on his moves but the landing lag is faster then waiting for the rest of the attack to come out and the ending lag, though again its situational.

In brawl most characters have a select amount of their moveset that is viable where the rest of their moves arent safe and shouldnt be used other then for mixups. Marth is one of the few who this is not true for, so in order to get good with marth you need to know when and where to use each of his moves. This is not to say that all of his moves are good all the time, but all of them have a use (Dairing someone while they are onstage or over the stage is generally not safe but if they give you an opportunity to tipper Dair them offstage then its very useful). It is absolutely essential that you know how to tipper every move he has as that allows you to not only get kills without lots of extra effort but also rack up more percent safely and keep momentum.

I'm not sure what else to add at the moment but hopeful someone else will get to you as I'm am not the best at laying out marth in here (Smashkng and Emblemlord are extremely knowledgeable and will probably be able to give you better advice), as well as correct anything that I may have stated incorrectly or worded poorly. I'd very much recommend checking out SSBB marth tourney videos on youtube because you'll be able to see what choices the pros make. The most notable players are Mikeneko, Mr. R, Leon and Mike Haze from what I know.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
The question you have asked is pretty huge in terms of an answer. But I will try my best to address the differences though Im certainly not the most knowledgeable.

The first and maybe most important thing to realize is that because brawls physics are so much different all playstyles are very different. so right off the bat you need to play marth in such a way that the physics are working for you and that requires a bit of a switch up.

Marth is still very much the space out beast that he was in melee, having one of the best disjointed ranges in the game. But, most attacks in brawl are unsafe in comparison to melee so brawl marth is about being cautious and keeping opponents at the end of his sword. Throwing out safe attacks requires that you space a retreating Fair and trying to get a read or bait out a commitment so that you can go in with sideB (which is much faster and gives good pressure) or more aerial pressure. Marth in general really shines in his air game because he has good air speed and long range attacks. Fair is definitely his go to move in most situations and generally you want to be using a combination of rising and FF Fairs to pressure your opponent, though the gameplan does have to change based on the MU. Dtilt is a great safe move to throw out if you think your opponent is going to approach as it usually ends early enough that you want get punished if they dont choose to approach right away.

Getting a kill with marth is a bit more complicated then it was in melee for several reasons. one is that his Dair only meteor smashes (not spikes anymore) if you tipper it, so its not super safe unless you have a huge opening. Now marth doesnt exactly have difficulty getting a kill but he doesnt have a go to kill move like most characters. there are moves like Fsmash and Dsmash that net kills easily when they connect but they are very unsafe in most situations. Dsmash although is solid if you know you have a small opening as it comes out on frame 6 I believe and a tipper Dsmash works well.

Brawl in general is not very combo oriented so continuing momentum as marth is about closing off options and forcing opponents into traps (marth has a great trap game) or forcing a bad option and punishing. That being said marth does have a few short combos but combos in brawl are more like follow ups that your opponent doesnt have a move to counter with in enough time, though if they DI correctly they can get away. He does have short chain grabs on many characters at low percents.

Remaining safe with aerials requires, in most situations, that you SHFF them so that the hitbox is out for a moment before the rest of the attack is canceled by landing. He does have landing lag on his moves but the landing lag is faster then waiting for the rest of the attack to come out and the ending lag, though again its situational.

In brawl most characters have a select amount of their moveset that is viable where the rest of their moves arent safe and shouldnt be used other then for mixups. Marth is one of the few who this is not true for, so in order to get good with marth you need to know when and where to use each of his moves. This is not to say that all of his moves are good all the time, but all of them have a use (Dairing someone while they are onstage or over the stage is generally not safe but if they give you an opportunity to tipper Dair them offstage then its very useful). It is absolutely essential that you know how to tipper every move he has as that allows you to not only get kills without lots of extra effort but also rack up more percent safely and keep momentum.

I'm not sure what else to add at the moment but hopeful someone else will get to you as I'm am not the best at laying out marth in here (Smashkng and Emblemlord are extremely knowledgeable and will probably be able to give you better advice), as well as correct anything that I may have stated incorrectly or worded poorly. I'd very much recommend checking out SSBB marth tourney videos on youtube because you'll be able to see what choices the pros make. The most notable players are Mikeneko, Mr. R, Leon and Mike Haze from what I know.
Thank you very much :D

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Marth matches to watch.

Mikeneko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUFoSYQZSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt9Vvk7IV70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKa7oFAFE2w

Mr. R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTWYDMRIpvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9cpvV3g-4
Mr R "combo videos" (not entirely combos by the melee definition)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXd1jQVlAUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXwtH0C4A

These aren't by any means the only good matches and you should definitely see more of them but they should be good for understanding marth (even if the marth loses its good info to see in tourney)

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Marth matches to watch.

Mikeneko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUFoSYQZSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt9Vvk7IV70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKa7oFAFE2w

Mr. R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTWYDMRIpvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9cpvV3g-4
Mr R "combo videos" (not entirely combos by the melee definition)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXd1jQVlAUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXwtH0C4A

These aren't by any means the only good matches and you should definitely see more of them but they should be good for understanding marth (even if the marth loses its good info to see in tourney)
Oh trust me I have already seen the godliness that is Mr R :3 Mr R's combo videos are what inspired me to get into Brawl again (used to play Brawl competitive for like... 2 weeks XD Then I played Melee at a tournament and... ya XD) But yeah, haven't seen much Mikeneko. Thanks :D

EDIT: Just realized that Mike Neko is wearing a Kirito tag so I instantly like him now :3 #favorite anime

Last edited:

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
with marth in brawl unlike his melee counterpart has an amazing sideb1 that you can grab out of. also since you dont have wavedashing you chould learn how o foxtrot and how to shutterstep forward smash. in brawl you want to keep a defensive playstyle vs metaknight so sideb and fair are good. since in brawl they recover strit to the ledge and not past it dont fsmash the ledge hoping to hit them recovering. fthrow and down throw are both good throws and to mix it up or to get a juggle use upthrow. shorthoping back to a fastfalling fair is great for defence. upsmash has more range and power but is still an easy move to punish so be causious when using. dash attack and counter are nefted really bad and i rarely if ever use it. since brawl is slower than melee your quick thinking will work with you because brawl is like a game of chess, you want to think of all there possibilities and where they could land and chose sour best option. for alot of charectors you can chain foward grab them at zero to a fsmash tipper. down tilt slowly moves you forward unlike melees and in brawl is used as a pressure tool. if your opponent likes to roll bait them with a down tilt and if they roll behind punish with dancing blade. down smash is comes out faster than all his other smashes so dont be afraid to use it. if you have more questions feel free to ask.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
with marth in brawl unlike his melee counterpart has an amazing sideb1 that you can grab out of. also since you dont have wavedashing you chould learn how o foxtrot and how to shutterstep forward smash. in brawl you want to keep a defensive playstyle vs metaknight so sideb and fair are good. since in brawl they recover strit to the ledge and not past it dont fsmash the ledge hoping to hit them recovering. fthrow and down throw are both good throws and to mix it up or to get a juggle use upthrow. shorthoping back to a fastfalling fair is great for defence. upsmash has more range and power but is still an easy move to punish so be causious when using. dash attack and counter are nefted really bad and i rarely if ever use it. since brawl is slower than melee your quick thinking will work with you because brawl is like a game of chess, you want to think of all there possibilities and where they could land and chose sour best option. for alot of charectors you can chain foward grab them at zero to a fsmash tipper. down tilt slowly moves you forward unlike melees and in brawl is used as a pressure tool. if your opponent likes to roll bait them with a down tilt and if they roll behind punish with dancing blade. down smash is comes out faster than all his other smashes so dont be afraid to use it. if you have more questions feel free to ask.
Which is safer? Fsmash or Dsmash, after you telling me Dsmash is buffed, I looked up frames for both, Dsmash has a total of 64 frames and hits on frame 6 and 21 while Fsmash has 49 frames and hits on 10. Are there certain situations in which one is safer than the other? Dsmash does indeed come out faster, but with the greater lag are there certain situations where I should use more Fsmash than Dsmash? Also thanks for the info :3

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Which is safer? Fsmash or Dsmash, after you telling me Dsmash is buffed, I looked up frames for both, Dsmash has a total of 64 frames and hits on frame 6 and 21 while Fsmash has 49 frames and hits on 10. Are there certain situations in which one is safer than the other? Dsmash does indeed come out faster, but with the greater lag are there certain situations where I should use more Fsmash than Dsmash? Also thanks for the info :3
Yes it is situational. generally if you throw out either as a hard read your going to get punished, but I dont think ive ever seen the Dsmash hard read. I see Dsmash used in situations where you have a small opening framewise (like say 10 frames or so because you wouldnt want to rely on being frame perfect with Fsmash) and your spacing is set up for tipper Dsmash then use it because it coming out in 6 frames is going to give you that guaranteed hit when your opponent makes a mistake that doesnt leave you a whole lot of time to capitalize on. If you have plenty of time to space tipper Fsmash then definitely do that. It's mostly just if you have a short amount of time to punish and theyre at high percents.

Oh trust me I have already seen the godliness that is Mr R :3 Mr R's combo videos are what inspired me to get into Brawl again (used to play Brawl competitive for like... 2 weeks XD Then I played Melee at a tournament and... ya XD) But yeah, haven't seen much Mikeneko. Thanks :D
Id have to say IMO that Mikeneko is the best marth out there. Mr. R is amazing and has the flashiest reads and mindgames, but Mikeneko has ridiculously fast reaction time and he's incredibly safe when he plays. Both are great at different marth playstyles.

EDIT: Just realized that Mike Neko is wearing a Kirito tag so I instantly like him now :3 #favorite anime
I also enjoy the show.

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
Yea when it comes to reaction and spacing mikeneko is one of the best. Hes like one of the few marths that stand a chance against top metaknight players

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
I think that mikeneko is best when it comes to the meta knight match but because of his defensive playstyle he has trouble with the falco matchup. You can see this in his video vs masha. When you want to see a good marth vs falco mr r and anaky are your man

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Ok so, I was wondering if any of you have dolphin? If so can I maybe play one of you online? I would like to see if any of you can critique my current Marth. I have dolphin version 4.0.652

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
If you take a video of you playing vs someone icould critique your play from that
I don't have anyone in my general area who is really into competitive smash :( And one person who I know I can play against online in Brawl...... isn't exactly uh....... very........... good XD

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
Ahh i see. I use to have the same problem but online on facebook you can look up smash groups in your general area. Thats how i really started getting into the community. You can also find alot of people on here to find to play.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Ahh i see. I use to have the same problem but online on facebook you can look up smash groups in your general area. Thats how i really started getting into the community. You can also find alot of people on here to find to play.
I live in the middle of nowhere :( (though I do have good internet connection somehow XD )

PerryGriffith

Smash Rookie
Also, if you are young enough, check out your school. My friends and I started up a Smash Tournament at our highschool. To our surprise, we got about 60+ entries to the bracket... turns out one of the college-age teachers is amazing at smash and won the whole thing. It was a great time and we are probably going to be doing it again.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Also, if you are young enough, check out your school. My friends and I started up a Smash Tournament at our highschool. To our surprise, we got about 60+ entries to the bracket... turns out one of the college-age teachers is amazing at smash and won the whole thing. It was a great time and we are probably going to be doing it again.
I am quite young :3 14 XD But IDK how to start a club, or what to tell the teachers about it, I am a pretty shy person XD Also IDK if you can only start clubs at the end of the year or any time.

PerryGriffith

Smash Rookie
I am quite young :3 14 XD But IDK how to start a club, or what to tell the teachers about it, I am a pretty shy person XD Also IDK if you can only start clubs at the end of the year or any time.
At my school clubs are a pretty big thing. We have a clubs fair within the first 3 weeks of school where all of the club presidents get together and pitch their club ideas to some of the younger students like yourself. However, don't be discouraged because you are young! As a matter of fact, you don't even need to start a club to start a tournament. Just grab a few loyal friends who are also into smash (and who maybe are willing to talk around) and make a few announcements about the "up and coming smash tournament." You will be surprised at the number of people ready to sign up immediately, as most of the older kids will have played smash at a much younger age. Once you've made the announcement, get a bunch of sign-up sheets posted in the halls for about a week (again, make sure people know about them). Then, make a bracket and begin setting up the matches each day at lunch or something.

The trick is getting the TV's in, getting permission from teachers to do the whole thing, finding a place where you can play, and getting some game-cubes (or Wiis). Best of luck!!

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
At my school clubs are a pretty big thing. We have a clubs fair within the first 3 weeks of school where all of the club presidents get together and pitch their club ideas to some of the younger students like yourself. However, don't be discouraged because you are young! As a matter of fact, you don't even need to start a club to start a tournament. Just grab a few loyal friends who are also into smash (and who maybe are willing to talk around) and make a few announcements about the "up and coming smash tournament." You will be surprised at the number of people ready to sign up immediately, as most of the older kids will have played smash at a much younger age. Once you've made the announcement, get a bunch of sign-up sheets posted in the halls for about a week (again, make sure people know about them). Then, make a bracket and begin setting up the matches each day at lunch or something.

The trick is getting the TV's in, getting permission from teachers to do the whole thing, finding a place where you can play, and getting some game-cubes (or Wiis). Best of luck!!
Thats what i did. I started a smash club and every friday peole who play smash go and play together

MLSword

Smash Journeyman

EDIT : XD This isn't really related to Marth. So I started a conversation with you :p

Last edited:

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
hey guys i need your help again please. im going to a tournament in 2 days and there is a pikachu main that is going to the tournament who destroyed me last tournament. i really want to win but i know nothing about the pikachu matchup. can someone give me some info or tips please.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
hey guys i need your help again please. im going to a tournament in 2 days and there is a pikachu main that is going to the tournament who destroyed me last tournament. i really want to win but i know nothing about the pikachu matchup. can someone give me some info or tips please.
Well the pikachu matchup generally feels like its in marth's favor but if you feel really uncomfortable with it then id recommend checking out the pikachu boards as well to ask questions as well as look up frame data/strategy guides/maybe theres a marth matchup thread in the pikachu boards. Id assume that itd be best to be on the defensive and let pikachu come to you so you can wall him out with fair and sideB. Is this pikachu player a projectile spammer or is he aggressive and in your face a lot? Remember that although you'll need fact reaction time because pikachus fast, pikachu doesnt have much range on most of his moves so he relies on burst range and fast attacks to deal close range damage (burst range is the concept that when playing vs a human opponent there is an amount of space and amount of time that an opponent cant react to, so stage pick places with platforms so you can avoid thunder jolt). Pikachu's fast safe moves are Nair, dtilt, ftilt, utilt and Fair to a smaller extent. If this pikachu is really good at quick attack cancelling (which is using upB into the ground which allows pikachu to move around without the normal lag that he takes from upBing in the air, so he can attack right away.) try to stay a small distance away from pikachu and try to pressure with tipper Fairs and sideB when pikachu makes a mistake in neutral within range.

I dont know the pikachu MU that well though so you may want to look around the boards for move info and watch matches with pikachu to see what moves and choices are overcommitments. If youre interested I know there are characters that have good MU's vs pikachu so if you feel that you can comfortably learn another character as a secondary then thats a possibility though Id say generally its better to stick to the character your most comfortable with (unfortunately I only know of ice climbers being a bad MU for pikachu and that requires that you have the chain grab completely down and just camp like crazy).

Taytertot

Smash Ace
heres a thread that talks about the marth pikachu MU

http://smashboards.com/threads/match-up-discussion-21-pikachu.196247/

also dont let pikachu get you above him because being above pikachu is a terrible place with his Uair, Utilt, Usmash and quick vertical spacing which allows him to Fair you. DownB can also be dangerous though you should be able to dodge this most of the time.

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Isn't pika one of the few we can chaingrab? Also, I'd like to know if you guys have found any creative followups for air releasing MK. I've used it to get off a running Usmash for quite a few kills, and I've used dash attack and dash > side b for damage racking.

Top Bottom