• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aside from thinking of characters...

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
... What about stages ?

Recently, I was thinking about original stage concepts in Smash Bros
And I came up with this idea :

Imagine a stage where you're on continous fall and never touch the ground and you're forced to fight in the air. ( R.I.P Little Mac ) In such conditions, nothing makes you helpless but you still can eject your opponent from the stage but the only thing that would change would be you fighting in the air only. That would give an impression of epic fight since even in the air you try to battle !

What you guys think about it ?
( PS : Lock my topic if something of the same idea was already as a "regroup topic" )

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I've thought of that, but it really wouldn't work without a massive change of the current mechanics. Considering all characters fall at different speeds, the way fast-falling works, the way double jumping works... Pretty much the way everything related to the air works. They'd pretty much have to code in a second game, it'd go way beyond simply making a new stage if you don't just want it to be stupidly broken and awkward.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
... What about stages ?

Recently, I was thinking about original stage concepts in Smash Bros
And I came up with this idea :

Imagine a stage where you're on continous fall and never touch the ground and you're forced to fight in the air. ( R.I.P Little Mac ) In such conditions, nothing makes you helpless but you still can eject your opponent from the stage but the only thing that would change would be you fighting in the air only. That would give an impression of epic fight since even in the air you try to battle !

What you guys think about it ?
( PS : Lock my topic if something of the same idea was already as a "regroup topic" )
Good idea, but too much of a dropoff. Skyworld is a prime example of too much of a dropoff. While implementing what you got here, you gotta make recovery a valuable option as well (or in the hypothetical case of Fox leaving his landmaster, ground that will keep him from SDing in those couple seconds before he can move).

Hope this helps.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I remember having this idea for a stage based on Generator Shaft from Metroid Corruption.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I also had that idea, but I didn't have any existing place from a Nintendo game to base it on.

I thought of Beep Block Skyway from Super Mario 3D World as a stage. It would have a central platform that doesn't change at all, but there are other smaller platforms that appear and disappear alternatively to the rhythm of the music, just like the stage from the game itself. The layout would be similar to Battlefield, except arranged in a different form, and with four platforms instead of three to change things a little.

What do you think?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It could theoretically work if the stage was specifically designed to feature infinite jumps and a universal fall speed for every character in that stage.

Even so, it'd have to change nature of the game drastically in that stage. Great idea, but difficult to execute.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's already coding to give a character an extra jump, infinite jumps should be easy. (Dixie Kong item in Smash Tour gives you the extra jump BTW.) Of course there's no real way to balance such a stage... So wether or not they try anything with helplessness wouldn't really matter. It could work, but people would get lame on it very quickly. Maybe if instead it was only temporary it'd be tolerable...

Little Mac wouldn't be a joke if helplessness wasn't a thing, though. Infinite Jolt Haymakers and Rising Uppercuts would be pretty scary.

11wildy

Smash Rookie
Well, the falling stage could also be like Pokemon Stadium 2 wind transformation, where you float like that and jump really high. And keep that on constantly. That shouldn't be hard to make, and sounds interesting to me.

Top Bottom