• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Ok well I have a somewhat interesting thing to talk about. A while back I was messing around with full hop Fair in the wifi practice room and i figured out if timed correctly you can full hop Fair off stage and go immediately afterwards into a Dair. Since i believe full hop Fair gets out of animation at around ground level(if not FFalled) its basically going into a walkoff Dair. You still get 2nd jump since the first jump was from the stage so you can still recover.

So my question is, could this be a viable technique for punishing people that would air dodge the Fair? If of course they are falling preferably, with no jumps left just their special recovery. If timed right I believe after they air dodge you will fall basically at same rate as opponent just a little bit higher than them you will have a chance do Dair/spike them after the Fair.

Discuss please if you will? It might be a usable technique.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Air dodge takes much less time than the full animation of Fair + startup lag of Dair. Anyone who knows well how to recover with their character would easily interrupt or circumvent you. I don't see it as extremely useful.

So I've been suckered into going to a tourney that takes place tomorrow... even though I haven't played in like a month and haven't played -seriously- in longer than that... and I don't have my controller... I'm pretty sure I'm going to get *****.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Haha, I know how that feels. If you're already good, though, I wouldn't worry too much about getting ***** unless you manage to go against some kind of monster at Brawl lol.

As for the FAir --> DAir thing, aside from being an occasional surprise maneuver to pull out, I don't see it as being entirely viable. It doesn't seem like something to risk making mistakes with, either.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
this section is kinda dead now=/
what happened? lol

and good to hear slaps:]
rep that ike

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
I'm still here. Trying to ban myself from Smashboards because I have an exam in about three days. But hey. Also, what happened to the Video Crit thread?

Best of luck, Brett! And Slaps!

MK sucks! Seriously, I'm useless at playing him. Or at least, I don't win every single game. :p

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm busy messing with hacks lol
I think the only time I would travel out of EC with family would be around spring break/after I finish high school this year. My mom likes to visit some relatives in Cali. Not too sure about Texas but I've been there before....only for about 30 minutes just to get on a plane lol It was hot as hell over there at the airport >_>

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Texas is indeed hot as hell. I swapped planes there (Houston) once and it was pretty bad. Although to be fair it was like July so I was sort of asking for it, wasn't I?

I CAN go to WHOBO but it means missing one day of classes (not a biiiiig deal, but yeah) so I'm still thinking about it. I really want to go to meet all of you guys, though.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You wouldn't meet me. ;_;

Earliest I would travel to Houston is probably summer. lol And I doubt anything will be happening in SA right before then.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
For the record I am still trying to obtain a video of the footstool combo but, for the record, you can do 35% to Wario off a grab release at the percents where it's not feasible to regrab.

Not sure if it works on anyone else. Probably not since Ike is not exactly known for his high run speed, is he?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Darn it. Ally just sent me to losers. "Epic" videos will be up later on, though. If I get eliminated here and now, I'll be ranked 17th out of 43 entrants.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Wow this is gay, ever since Brett left the live stream and put Dphat on I get banned everytime I want to connect to chat. The first time he banned me saying i was spamming the Ustream chat. Then i come back later during i guess Grand Finals for teams and i see Palpi on so I just asked if it was Grand Finals and who the people were that were playing and then all of a sudden i get kicked from the chat. Now because of Dphat being the douche he is I am banned from the FS8 Ustream chat. God he is such a ****ing douche.

Good Job Mr. Doom i hope you do good! =] is there a live stream for your tourney?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
No, unfortunately. I'm trying to advance as far as possible before I get knocked out. You only live twice.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm not really sure which thread this belongs in, but it's just a simple question, so...

How are you supposed to deal with G&W's recovery? It will be very rare that they fudge up their DI enough that they can be easily edgehog, so pretty much every time they up+B, they'll either auto-sweetspot or, if you edgehog, land on the stage. It's sort of risky to try to DAir spike because you might get stagespiked in return, and if you try attacking low, this might happen (3:16 and 1:00).

So yeah... how do you guys deal with the up+B?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
*lurks*
I'm not really sure which thread this belongs in, but it's just a simple question, so...

How are you supposed to deal with G&W's recovery? It will be very rare that they fudge up their DI enough that they can be easily edgehog, so pretty much every time they up+B, they'll either auto-sweetspot or, if you edgehog, land on the stage. It's sort of risky to try to DAir spike because you might get stagespiked in return, and if you try attacking low, this might happen (3:16 and 1:00).

So yeah... how do you guys deal with the up+B?
@ metroid, don't even bother trying to edgehog a G&W. There are more risks than benefits and unless you know the G&W is pretty below the stage, it's best to stay on the stage and keep the pressure with fast fall Fairs.
what kimchi said
pressure him on the edge with fairs that's all you can do
you'd have to be pretty accurate to spike an up and B before it hits you first
even if you do manage to edgehog and he lands on the stage,ike doesnt have any aerials fast enough to punish his landing. what'll most likely happen is G&W will shield it,send u offstage and the tables will be turned lol.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I've always been really cautious when it comes to handling G&W in general. I dunno if my advice for this is the best, but I let G&W get back onto the stage and finish him off by actually knocking him off-screen completely. G&W's recovery with Up+B, at least for me, is fairly difficult to deal with when I'm fighting a decent user, so I just let him back onto the stage and smack him off until he's simply out.

Personally, I could never really find a great way to deal with G&W recovering back onto the stage using Up+B, aside from the occasional lucky DTilt spike. I think the best thing I can say for now is, in the case of using Ike, NOT to Aether during the frames which G&W goes up to reach his parachuting phase of the recovery, as that's probably why you floated up like that.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I've had some success using reverse Aether against Mr. Game & Watch's recovery. It's not as easy as using it on Bowser or Donkey Kong but it's probably your best chance at an edgehog. Just be sure to leave enough to maneuver back on stage, haha.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks for the advice, guys. It's sort of sad that you should just let him back though... what about edgehogging his up+B and then trying to punish with edgehopped Aether? He'll probably drift away from you by then or SDI out of it though...

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
well the first time he kicked me cause i told him to stfu when he was telling me that i was "spamming the ustream chat" and then the other time which was like 2hrs later was for no reason... I was just asking about the teams match that was going on. So yeah.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Iowa's Joker's Monthly "Putting a Smile on Your Face" tournament has come to a close, and I placed 13th out of 43 entrants. Whenever Joker gets around to uploading them, I'll link those videos of me fighting Ally's MK. And let me tell you this: his MK's defenses are way too good. However, I do not believe that MK vs Ike is like "taking a salt shaker to a gunfight."

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Iowa's Joker's Monthly "Putting a Smile on Your Face" tournament has come to a close, and I placed 13th out of 43 entrants. Whenever Joker gets around to uploading them, I'll link those videos of me fighting Ally's MK. And let me tell you this: his MK's defenses are way too good. However, I do not believe that MK vs Ike is like "taking a salt shaker to a gunfight."
Congratulations on your placing.

MK v Ike is not(directly) taking a salt shaker to a gunfight. It is taking your best salt shaker to a friendly cookoff and then realizing that you took a wrong turn and ended up in a gunfight.

Okay yeah I just wanted to say something to seem smart. Can you blame me?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I've had some success using reverse Aether against Mr. Game & Watch's recovery. It's not as easy as using it on Bowser or Donkey Kong but it's probably your best chance at an edgehog. Just be sure to leave enough to maneuver back on stage, haha.
******** windbox on GW's upB makes this more or less a bad idea, plus his general likelihood of just.. NOT getting hit out of upB. I'm not saying it can't lead to good things... I'm just saying that it isn't reasonable to EXPECT anything good to come out of it. It's a fluke if it does, honestly. I just don't mess with his recovery.

Good job, Mr. Doom. I wish I could come back with a little more to show from my tourney.
I didn't get ***** as I had expected, though. I just went to a tourney with most of the TX power ranked players there (that means this was a stupid tough tourney, lol). There were about that many entrants... low 40s, I think. And in that tough bracket, I was seeded pretty poorly. I was just about the only one (may have been another couple) who didn't receive a bye in either winners or losers. Like, even though I won two matches, it looked like I only won once in the results, because even those who never won got byes.

Anywho. Won my first match 2-0 against a ZSS. 2-stocked him pretty soundly first game, so I played game 2 kind of easy-going, but saved the replay for my last kill. Rainbow Cruise-- on a flying carpet-- grabbed, waited, dthrow into some blocks that kept him from moving, jab, grab, dthrow, stalk, Uair out of spot dodge to kill off the top.

My second match was Gnes's first. If you haven't heard of Gnes, he's the one who fell victim in the event sparking the new stalling ordeal "Scrooging" by M2K at Winterfest. With a little help from Brinstar, I took him to game 3, miraculously. I learned a lot about the match-up this time around. Dude seriously is an amazing player, though, and just taking him to match 3 was good enough for me to leave satisfied.

Won my first match in losers. Nothing special.

Went up against a really good Pikachu, KPrime. Won first game at Yoshi's after ****** his first stock and killing him with Ftilt while I was at 20%. Second match was close, but he got me, don't remember exactly how. Third match was meh. Started okay, but just lost myself around second stock when he got 57% free for the second time in a row. And then I just couldn't get myself to air dodge that **** thunder. =\ Anyway, I'm not upset about losing to him, because he's a good player. I just know I -COULD- have won. Dude's hard to hit, too. Just sayin'. He doesn't fall for traps often and doesn't give openings often.

Anyway. With silly Tio tourney organizer brackets, I got 25th place out of 42-ish, when the last place listed was 33. Meh. Satisfied with my performance overall, though. My wins were won by long shots, and my losses both justifiably went to game 3.

Oh and I ***** random team friendlies on live stream, LOL. Not the most amazing opponents compared to the power ranked players I had been playing, so my Ike just looked good dancing around the stage and hitting everything that moved. xD

This weekend made me realize how much I missed playing in tourneys these past few months....

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I haven't play against KPrime yet, even though he lives in the same city as me...

I was one of the guys asking to see you on live steam, but I had to go before you were on. Got to hear that you lost to K Prime though. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom