• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As Squirtle, is G&W's down throw to down smash inescapable?

pretzelcollector

Smash Rookie
I can get out of it most of the time as either of the other pokemon, but as Squirtle, I get hit almost every single time.

My roommate mains Mr. Game and Watch, so it's pretty common for me.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
I think I've been able to get out of that bind as Squirtle. The simplest solution is to just tilt the direction away from G&W so you avoid it and have invisible frames all in the process. If a big lug like Charizard can get out of it I would think the same can be said for Squirtle ;]

Neb

Smash Lord
Yeah, I have a little bro who mains PT, he techs it sometimes. But thing is, if you tech roll, G&W can chase and chain you into another grab, and either rinse and repeat or switch it up with some more follow-ups. It might be better to just take the hit.

pretzelcollector

Smash Rookie
Yeah, with Charizard and Ivysaur, all you have to do is hold the stick away from G&W to the side he picked you up on, you'll get out 80% of the time. It doesn't work with Squirtle though, and I'm not sure why.

You have to mix it up though, his tech chase is brutal.

kleenex

Smash Rookie
could

Squrtle's air speed is pretty good, you could probably try to make Game and watch run to meet where to land and hastily down smash, the duration should be really short and you could be away with an air dodge through him then a shield dodge/just plain run away from him

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I think it was with Squirtle (Though it may have been with Jigglypuff) that I was able to time it so the invulnerability frames of the get-up attack helped me get up and hit him away. Don't take this as fact until I try it again.

Top Bottom