• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As Smash Wii U Updates, So Does The Evo Ruleset

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

With Mewtwo striking back, Lucas coming out of nowhere, and a new balance patch incoming there is a lot of buzz and excitement being generated within the Smash community. This also transfers over to the Smash 4 tournament at Evo 2015 with already over 1000 entrants who all are probably wondering: will these new characters be legal? Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar, founding member of the Evo Championship Series, has the answers.

Mewtwo

As Mr. Wizard stated in his Smashboards exclusive Interview "If Mewtwo is available to the public at large via DLC without having to own both 3DS and WiiU versions of Smash, then he will be allowed. If its locked only to people that own both, he will be balled. Mewtwo also has to be available within a reasonable time period after release and not a timed exclusive."

These conditions have been met, and Mr. Wizard confirmed on Twitter that Mewtwo will be legal at Evo 2015 as well as a the fact that there will be a revision to the Evo custom ruleset document to add in Mewtwo's custom sets. At this time there are no details as to how the Custom Moveset Project will be handling getting proper sets for such a new character in limited time, but it is sure to be a challenge.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Lucas

Lucas has been revealed to be coming out June 2015, and Mr. Wizard confirmed via Twitter that he will not be allow at Evo as "he comes out too late." This could be for several reasons ranging from a lack of time to learn the matchup and customs moves to the logistical challenges that would come with trying to get and pay for the character on every tournament console so close to the event.

While we may not see Lucas in play however, him coming to Smash may still influence Evo 2015 in a unique way. With Mewtwo being added to the game the game will update to version 1.0.6 which will include a balance patch. While Mr. Wizard has stated Lucas will not be legal, if he came with a balance patch they would still use it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Will a Mewtwo take the tournament fresh to the metagame? Will a last minute balance patch brought on by Lucas shake up the meta game close to the event? The excitement will continue to mount for the event, as only time can tell what exciting new developments for Smash may effect Evo 2015.

SmashCapps is very curious to see how Smash 4 will turn out at Evo 2015. Follow him on Twitter to discuss Smash 4, Evo 2015, and anything else in Smash.

omegajo

Smash Rookie
Pretty fair, but Lucas could be demonstrated rather powerfully in Evo

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think Mr. Wizard's stance on these issues are the right way to go. It's a shame about Lucas, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Fair enough, but Lucas should be legal, he is similar enough to his brawl moveset, plus it be great publicity

Pyr

Smash Lord
It's my personal hope that Lucas not being usable at Evo will push Lucas's release more quickly, with more resources at Nintendo being spent for his development.

brownzombie

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrownZombie
It's a new game so Lucas may not even play the same as he did in Brawl. Just look at Ness. Similar, but not the same

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Lucas makes sense to not be legal, he won't be explored enough.

In terms of mewtwo, I wonder if someif his customs will be auto-banned if it takes too long to get them.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
It's my personal hope that Lucas not being usable at Evo will push Lucas's release more quickly, with more resources at Nintendo being spent for his development.
Nintendo doesn't care about Evo. And i'd rather not have them rush his development. Nintendo should not feel pressured with his development at all since we're lucky to even get Lucas in the first place.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I think it makes perfect sense that Joey will not allow Lucas to be utilized at EVO this year. He'll be released very close to tournament time, which would make it extremely difficult for not only people to get used to him in time, but the community would have to kick it to maximum overdrive to get 10 custom movesets made, and have Lucas added onto every console in time for the event.

At least Mewtwo will be around at least 3 months ahead of time. Though I will admit that getting Mewtwo ready for EVO will prove to be a challenge for the Custom Moveset Project, along with the Mewtwo boards.

There's always EVO 2016 though!

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
The people at EVO do know that Lucas might play just like he did in Brawl, right? If he does, and the EVO people DO see that, they ought to allow Brawl Lucas mains or any pro pick him up and use him.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Too early for Lucas, League of Legends does something simular where the last 3 majorly changed or released champions aren't legal at worlds.

Makes sense to me.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I'm super-excited for the balance patch. It's always interessting to see which characters gets buffed, nerfed or changed in different ways, which could change everything. I remember the last patch, and how hyped and interessted everybody was as they explored all characters and kept reporting back to the boards. And of course, Mewtwo is hype as heck. Can't wait for him.

Fun thing: Sakurai said there wouldn't be DLC. Now we're getting Mewtwo, Lucas AND a fan-voted one. Sakurai said there wouldn't be more balance patches. Releases new ones anyway. This is why I love you, good ol' Sakurai :)

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Fun thing: Sakurai said there wouldn't be DLC. Now we're getting Mewtwo, Lucas AND a fan-voted one. Sakurai said there wouldn't be more balance patches. Releases new ones anyway. This is why I love you, good ol' Sakurai :)
*Sakurai said he doesn't plan on more DLC
*Sakurai said he doesn't plan on more balance patches

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Oh god damnit. I'm just coming to the realization that I'm not done grinding out custom moves... I gotta do it again for mew2 and lucas.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Too early for Lucas, League of Legends does something simular where the last 3 majorly changed or released champions aren't legal at worlds.

Makes sense to me.
In the other MOBA smite, the most recent got is automatically banned at the start of any tourney. The newest god is also automatically banned in league matches (where all the pro tryhards play smite)

Makes sense.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
You don't know if he's the same.

And he's not. He's similar, at best. Case in point, the snake is now a longer tether recovery.
Even if he is the same as Brawl, are all his customs the same as Brawl? I think it would be hilarious, but most people probably don't want an ADHD villager-esque lucas showing up at Evo and knocking out skilled players because no one knows his gimmicks. Itd be funny though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You don't know if he's the same.

And he's not. He's similar, at best. Case in point, the snake is now a longer tether recovery.
Ok, and I understand he's slightly different but it's not like he is stupidly OP( and probably wont be) I could see us easily get more info on him later on that could help.
We don't know this to any extent.
We see enough to know based on his trailer. It may be a risk and i understand why not to, but I don't think it be a bad thing if they did.
Smash 4 plays VERY differently from Brawl.
Yes but as we see, lucas has had some buffs, nothing seemingly broken but my above statements covers it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Even if he is the same as Brawl, are all his customs the same as Brawl? I think it would be hilarious, but most people probably don't want an ADHD villager-esque lucas showing up at Evo and knocking out skilled players because no one knows his gimmicks. Itd be funny though.
Lucas will summon PK lloids and PK fireballs, then use PK Pikmin to fly above his enemies. He will come down with a mighty Lucas tornado, finishing his foe.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Ok, and I understand he's slightly different but it's not like he is stupidly OP( and probably wont be) I could see us easily get more info on him later on that could help.

We see enough to know based on his trailer. It may be a risk and i understand why not to, but I don't think it be a bad thing if they did.

Yes but as we see, lucas has had some buffs, nothing seemingly broken but my above statements covers it.
The issue is, yes we can see his kit.

But do we know the extent of how good it is, how gimicky it is? Forcing people to learn that + customs in 2 weeks for the largest smash tournament.

You think that is fair?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Evo can't handle the PK Love. :4lucas:

But, I understand where Mr. Wizard is coming from.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The issue is, yes we can see his kit.

But do we know the extent of how good it is, how gimicky it is? Forcing people to learn that + customs in 2 weeks for the largest smash tournament.

You think that is fair?
I get your point, but they don't have to master them, hell lucas doesn't even need to be played. I say leave him there, probably no one will touch him unless feeling risky. I feel he wonlt be available untill a few days before hand, meaning he couldn't be mastered right away or need to be really. In fact another thing to think about:

If he comes with a balance patch, way legalize that? Leaving fans no knowledge on potential drastic changes to those they play? That doesn't seem fair.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
A shame Lucas won't be allowed at EVO....

But what if he gets released earlier than June? Do you think he would be legal then?
(Not saying it will happen, nor getting my hopes up, just a theoretical situation :p)

Last edited:
Top Bottom