• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As gaming progresses, is AI getting worse?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Link to original post: [drupal=890]As gaming progresses, is AI getting worse?[/drupal]

I suppose that sounds like a dumb question. AI obviously isn't getting worse, the CPU controlled characters in any game now have more complex coding, and are obviously far better at adapting to a huge multitude of situations right? I also believe, however, that with increased complexity and intelligence comes a basic stupidity. Either that or developpers are purposely making the CPUs easier to deal with these days.

Arguments that people have given me are that as I've grown older, my gaming ability has improved. Maybe slightly, but I still believe CPUs are just plain silly these days, or trying to give us an easy ride. Of course, CPUs in Smash games have never been the toughest to beat after you've become half decent, but I have noticed declines in their intelligence from 64 through to Brawl, although there wasn't really a great drop between 64 to Melee, but Melee to Brawl was quite noticeable.
I messed around with the CPUs, doing different things to see how they'd react, and noticed that the Melee CPUs would act far more appropriately and carefully than Brawl ones.

One example would be running close to a CPU and shielding. Within a split second of shielding too long, a Melee CPU instantly went for the grab, whereas a Brawl CPU just continued throwing attacks at it until it broke. You'd think a game released 7 years after its predecessor would have more intelligent CPUs, but apparently not.
The thing that inspired me to write this though was when I was mucking around with Yoshi in Melee, and full hopping and dairing into Ganondorf the lulz. After doing it about 3 times, Ganondorf reacted with his upB **** attack, and so in my curiosity I did it again several times, with him continuing to react in the same fashion. Then I started baiting him and not actually going in for the attack, but punishing him for his upB misses. After several successful baits, he stopped. I then tried this in Brawl... and it was an epic failure on the part of the CPU. No matter how many times I did the same maneuver, he'd try to full hop and aerial me, despite it never working.

Now the intelligence of Smash CPUs is somewhat a non issue, since we never play them as practice anyway. Many games, however, are 1-player games, and thus may require challenging AI (depending on the genre) to be a deep gaming experience. Unfortunately, having owned all three Halo games, this does not seem to be the case. I find the first Halo to be the most challenging and rewarding of the trilogy, with Halo 3 having intelligent on the surface, yet fundamentally stupid AI.
Maybe it's because developers are now so focused on making AI and games look flashy on the surface, that they forget that their CPUs need for example, to shoot at me, rather than have a pointless conversation with another AI over a cigarette, and take **** breaks every 10 minutes as that's 10 game hours or whatever. No offence game developer, but I'd rather your CPU was able to shoot straight than take a **** and smoke a cigarette.
Maybe they're making them more stupid on purpose, I don't know, but I don't like the direction gaming's going in. There used to be a phrase called "Nintendo Hard", to describe games, games actually used to be difficult for crying out loud. It took me more weeks to complete Super Mario Land than Sunshine and Galaxy combined. It took me more days of effort to get the Pendants of Power in A Link to the Past, than complete the whole of Twilight Princess. Even now, it will take me longer to get through all of A Link to the Past then Twilight Princess, because I may, God forbid, actually die even once, something that hasn't really happened to me in a videogame for a while.
Bring back basic function, not flashy face value functions. I want to be shot at, beaten down, whatever, I want a challenge again.

Thanks For Reading This Rant!

~Teran17~

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't think it's an AI problem in regards to Zelda, but rather game design issues. I could be wrong, but I think that even when you adjust for inflation, it was cheaper to fill the overworld map with monsters in A Link to the Past than it was to do so in Twilight Princess, or any of the 3-D Zeldas. That cost problem led to a shift in design philosophy, where the monsters on the overworld are only a token gesture, and the only time you'll face something that could possibly kill you (not that at will, as you said) will be in dungeons.

Besides, the AI in Wind Waker was far better than what you found in the earlier Zelda games. It's just that design changes (making enemy attacks only take away 1/4 of a heart for the most part, for example), makes the game much easier.

I don't really play Halo, so I can't comment on that. But I wouldn't take Brawl's CPU as an example of dumbing down AI. They did everything else wrong in Brawl, so it's no surprise to me that they ****ed that up as well. AI gets much better as we go forward, but design decisions regarding difficulty is what's holding the industry back, as far as hardcore gamers are concerned. It's just a sign of the times, as developers and publishers try to expand their sales into non-traditional markets. I don't think Grandma or Uncle Joe would be buying Wiis at the pace they are if the only games you could get for it are "Nintendo Hard". I think that's unfortunate, but it is a business after all.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hmm, I think it's what Jam Stunna said, in terms of design choices. That was my main point with AI, it's not necessarily worse, but it just doesn't follow the basics any more. In Zelda that's perhaps not the case, but I mean, in an FPS, you expect your enemies to shoot at you, and do it well.

I think with Brawl, they tried too hard to make the CPUs have separate behaviour patterns to make the characters seem more unique when you face them, to the point where they forget the basics. That, I think, is the biggest problem with the gaming industry today, the developers forget the basics, and either go for the ultra flashy Hollywood level production, or just oversimplified barebones pathetic attempts at electronic coding called a "games".

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I hate you.

When I get bored I fight CPU Yoshi and wait for him to side+B then lure him off of the level.
LMAO.
CPUs are such morons, it's awesome.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think that one reason why AI in games seems to be getting worse (this is just in general, not in any of the smash games) is because its practically a requirement to have an open world these days in games. And because the developers are too busy working on the open world aspect they neglect the AI intelligence. Come on, developers, leave open world thing to GTA, Elder Scrolls and MMORPGs.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Does the AI in Melee actually catch on to patterns?
That's cool.
Didn't know that.

EDIT:
I have lulz.
Level 9 computer in Brawl:
Fairs.
I do nothing.
He rolls around, spotdodges, does random stuff, then finally hits me.
Misses with full hop fair.
When I'm on the edge, it smashes upwards and sideways but not downwards -_-

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Does the AI in Melee actually catch on to patterns?
That's cool.
Didn't know that.

EDIT:
I have lulz.
Level 9 computer in Brawl:
Fairs.
I do nothing.
He rolls around, spotdodges, does random stuff, then finally hits me.
Misses with full hop fair.
When I'm on the edge, it smashes upwards and sideways but not downwards -_-
The doing random stuff is in melee too. I seem to remember someone testing, and the cpu's were on a timer, they had to do something every so often, even if they were out of range to attack.

But anyways... I think the problem with games/ai being too easy is the way the enemies are fundamentally, not their intelligence. For example, in most of the original (as in, up until the 3d) mario games, the enemies would kill you in one hit. Two if you had some powerup. In all of the current mario games, you get a health system, which usually allows you to be hit numerous times. This makes an enemy walking back and forth from one end of a platform to another more dangerous than one that can chase you down and attack you.

Oh, and maybe it's just me, but I can beat the hardest 64 enemies using a keyboard (on an emulator), I have no trouble 4 stocking lvl 9's on melee, but brawl lvl 9s occasionally give me some trouble.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Oh, and maybe it's just me, but I can beat the hardest 64 enemies using a keyboard (on an emulator), I have no trouble 4 stocking lvl 9's on melee, but brawl lvl 9s occasionally give me some trouble.
That's because 64 and Melee were far more technical, so the skill gap was far more pronounced. The Brawl game mechanics are basically what I call "helping hand" game mechanics, in that they heavily favour far less skilled players so much, that they can actually give you a tough fight. This is echoed perhaps in you finding Brawl CPUs more difficult.
Trust me though, 64 and Melee CPUs are tougher, it's just our skill in those game actually means something.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
no.

brawl cpu's are way better, they didn't even jump on the clouds in the 64 yoshi stage.
pikachu suicided on saffron city.
link ran into tornadoes.
DK always missed the floating barrel.
mario and luigi would jump straight into a bumper on their stage.
fox would spam lasers even if i was using ness' b down.
ness... just had no idea what he was doing.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
no.

brawl cpu's are way better, they didn't even jump on the clouds in the 64 yoshi stage.
pikachu suicided on saffron city.
link ran into tornadoes.
DK always missed the floating barrel.
mario and luigi would jump straight into a bumper on their stage.
fox would spam lasers even if i was using ness' b down.
ness... just had no idea what he was doing.
To prove how half witted Brawl CPUs are, go to training mode, set them to attack and just stand there. Don't do anything, and the CPU will more likely SD than actually kill you, and this is meant to be a level 9.

Mith_

Smash Champion
To prove how half witted Brawl CPUs are, go to training mode, set them to attack and just stand there. Don't do anything, and the CPU will more likely SD than actually kill you, and this is meant to be a level 9.
Lol. On FD? I don't think so.
I dunno if using codes makes them better or something but mine never SD.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lol. On FD? I don't think so.
I dunno if using codes makes them better or something but mine never SD.
Yeah on FD lol. The lip can screw badly with several characters' upBs. My favourite is MK. He sometimes gets trapped under the lip like a ******, and since CPU MK always uses downB to recover, he dies. Pure genius.

Top Bottom