• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As far as Low Tier characters go...

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
How well does Roy do? I usually play Marth (no hate pls) and I've always enjoyed playing around with Roy. I wanted to do a Low-Tier tournament and didn't know who to pick. One of my friends said that Link was my best choice. I start to go, "But if Roy is like Marth at all, wouldn't he be be..." and he says, "No, trust me."

Having little experience with Link or ranged projectiles in general I basically sucked ***, very hard. How might I play Roy differently from Marth? As I've read, his combo (-> B) is far better than Marth's, as is his down-tilt since it sets up nicely for a nair/fair/uair. Also, his neutral B, due to the fire stun, is better. On top of that, his counter, though shorter in length, does much more damage.

Against a heavily-lagged character, I could try a wavedash to an up-smash (since it launches them nicely). Also, a down-tilt on a fast faller to a platform (like Dreamland 64) and then the up-smash there could work.

I figure a dash-dance to fsmash and wavedash to fmash along with a decent mindgame could work wonders as well. How much should I be using his neutral B though? Is it a good aerial/edgeguard/etc?

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
How well does Roy do? I usually play Marth (no hate pls) and I've always enjoyed playing around with Roy. I wanted to do a Low-Tier tournament and didn't know who to pick. One of my friends said that Link was my best choice. I start to go, "But if Roy is like Marth at all, wouldn't he be be..." and he says, "No, trust me."

Having little experience with Link or ranged projectiles in general I basically sucked ***, very hard. How might I play Roy differently from Marth? As I've read, his combo (-> B) is far better than Marth's, as is his down-tilt since it sets up nicely for a nair/fair/uair. Also, his neutral B, due to the fire stun, is better. On top of that, his counter, though shorter in length, does much more damage.

Against a heavily-lagged character, I could try a wavedash to an up-smash (since it launches them nicely). Also, a down-tilt on a fast faller to a platform (like Dreamland 64) and then the up-smash there could work.

I figure a dash-dance to fsmash and wavedash to fmash along with a decent mindgame could work wonders as well. How much should I be using his neutral B though? Is it a good aerial/edgeguard/etc?
im really sick of these posts. from now on ill tell scrubs to just go do whatever they want.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
roy is bad regardless of the environment, and low tier can suck pretty bad.

roy inherently takes it up the *** against floaties, and low tier is all floaty characters, sans DK who kicks his *** anyway, Link who ****s him up too, and Bowser who lasts long i guess

roy is the fastest of the low tiers and has good reach but he kind of gets owned

halu102

Smash Apprentice
yeah, I really don't think wavesmashes are any good. It's too easy to read. You can try using good spacing with Roy and just remember the key difference between him and Marth. And usually up-smash is a no no, unless you're fooling around. A good Roy requires good mindgames I think and very good knowledge of his limitations. But yeah, read the Roy FAQ, it provides some good information.

And you can always spam DED.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I'm going to disagree with these guys (as usual).
Roy's one of the better Low tiers.

I don't think Roy vs DK is that bad. They both seem to beat the crap out of each other. I'd say Roy has a disadvantage similar to a shineless Fox in Fox vs Falco.

Roy vs Link isn't that bad either. Getting on top of Link sucks, but once you're there you're usually ok. Because you're much faster than Link, you can stay on him pretty well, The trick here is to stay out of his fast aerial's range (nair/bair), but to swing at him all day.

Outside of that, Roy vs Zelda is BAD (from what i hear and understand, never played it), Roy vs Ness is tough (vs good ness), Roy vs Bowser is strangely challenging, and Roy vs Yoshi can be kinda hard too.

Even though most of the Low tiers are floaty, they have much more stun time than the floaty high tiers, so you can at least pretend to combo them.

If you suck at projectile spamming, Roy isn't a bad choice for a low tier tourney.

technomancer

Smash Champion
A good Roy can beat any character in the low tier, with Link and a pro DK being his worst matchups... the key is just to know the matchups, and know when to go for things like forward smashes as opposed to Flare Blade and DED, and what your grab options are, that sort of thing.

Noodlesis

Smash Rookie
To answer the ONLY question I saw in your post...

His neutral b is usually only good if you need to up their damage, as his forward smash fully charged has more "Smash" value. Basically they go "ZING!" better with the forward smash than the neutral b.

But the B does have stun!

Shieldkrusher

Smash Cadet
It's all the player playing the game, not the character. I hate when people just plain suck or lose and then blame it on the character they were using. I am a Roy player and have destroyed Higher/Top Tier characters played by excellent players. Again, it's all about how well you play.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Shieldkursher, no offense, you may say they are "Excellent" players, but they probably arent. They may be the best in your area, but anybody that gets doestroyed by Roy usually isnt good (Im looking at you Husband).

DK v Roy, just dont, Ive played JF (he has a good DK) and Snap_pop as roy v their DK. Just dont, my *** hurt from that ******.

Yoshi v Roy, I feel that this match just comes down to who the better player is. I was playing Smiles Yoshi v my Roy, ofcourse he beat me, I think I only took 2 stock.

Link v Roy, if you can get around the spamming, it isnt too hard a match, unfortunately spamming plays a big part in any links game.

M2 v Roy, again, comes down to who the better player is. I think Roy has a slight advantage in this match with having better smashes and faster aerials.

Zelda v Roy, I loathe this match, I gotta give it to zelda, those sweet-spotted fairs and bairs own roy...hard.

Pikachu v Roy, not too hard of a match, watch out for upsmashes and uair-spikes and youll do just fine

Luigi v Roy, This is a hard match, Luigi is so floaty you can barely get more than 2 hits on him at a time, while he can combo Roy like no other. Watch out for this match, luigi has the upper hand.

Roy v Roy, They can be fun, lots of dtilts, deds, and grabs. Generally who ever can play the scrubbiest wins.

Ness v Roy, Ness has the advantage, Ill be honest, bair is easy to sweet spot on roy, alot of his aerials are fast...well not the dair. Watch for the bair, pk fires, the fsmash and I think youll be fine.

Mr. GaW v Roy, Easy match, just fsmash whenever he sheilds, his sheild is one of the worst in the game, so youll probably still hit him. Watch for nairs and fairs, the dairs can be pretty annoying.

Kirby v Roy, Kirby's best move is his bair, so watch for it, its fast and can be pulled out twice a jump. I think this is an easy match, unless the Kirby is KKK, then just...just quit.

Pichu v Roy, Hes small, so most of your grabs can be ducked under, fsmashes, nairs, and fairs work well.

Young Link v Roy, Same goes for the match against link, the dair is annoying, can spam, but if you can get around that its not bad.

Well these arent nearly the best, just a short discription, Ive played all these lowtier characters with Roy against people that DONT suck with them (South Paw, Smiles, Caveman, JF, Snap_Pop, Shade, KOSMOS, Vegafuse, Im sure Im missing people).

Anyway, if Zman is still here, I think he is in NM, I plan on going to that tourny so...Zman, if youre reading this, get ready for a ditto match my friend.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Mr G&W vs Roy:
Avoid the CC Dtilt and the spammed F airs and the 9 hammer and you'll do ok!

Pichu: I think you can kill him at 40% with an Fsmash near the ledge.
And pichu is fast. So. Idk.

M2 vs Roy: Uh... Mewtwo forums says Mewtwo loses, Roy forums says Roy loses. Just attempt to outrange Mewtwo and stay near to the ground... and don't get Disabled. EDIT: ok fine, f&f says roy loses on the roy forums. >.>

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
M2 v Roy, again, comes down to who the better player is. I think Roy has a slight advantage in this match with having better smashes and faster aerials.
mew2 doesn't have range. spam forwardb.

Zelda v Roy, I loathe this match, I gotta give it to zelda, those sweet-spotted fairs and bairs own roy...hard.
get in and stay in. once you are in just keep throwing out moves. as long as you watch out for kicks, you should be fine, but even if you get hit, you should be near her so it shouldnt be a sweetspot.

Luigi v Roy, This is a hard match, Luigi is so floaty you can barely get more than 2 hits on him at a time, while he can combo Roy like no other. Watch out for this match, luigi has the upper hand.
wrong. roy has the upperhand. although this is a really homothug tactic, but if you just stay still and spam forwardb, luigi cannot do anything about it. is it a fun match? hell no, the match will last 7-8 minutes, but you shoudl win.

Ness v Roy, Ness has the advantage, Ill be honest, bair is easy to sweet spot on roy, alot of his aerials are fast...well not the dair. Watch for the bair, pk fires, the fsmash and I think youll be fine.
roy has the advantage. only thing roy should have trouble with is fair and dash attacks. otherwise hes easy to kill with being so light and easy to edgeguard. oh, and lol@pk fire

teh scrubby *** roy player? rofl.
Anyway, if Zman is still here, I think he is in NM, I plan on going to that tourny so...Zman, if youre reading this, get ready for a ditto match my friend.
LOLOLOLOL. i would pay money to see this. BATTLE OF THE 13 YEAR OLDS!!!!!!!!!

I see you haven't played against Gimpyfish. That guy eats Roys with little to no effort.
gimpyfish isnt good. and i dont think he's ever played a roy anyways.

M2 vs Roy: Uh... Mewtwo forums says Mewtwo loses, Roy forums says Roy loses. Just attempt to outrange Mewtwo and stay near to the ground... and don't get Disabled.
m2 loses

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Rawr, i'm on a posting spree.

A good mewtwo will have range, if only with his d-tilt, f-tilt, and back air. But still, play keep away with the dash dance DED and he should be pretty easy.

Roy vs luigi is a bit in luigi's favor, IMO. They're like exact opposites...roy has quick (albeit low-priority) attacks in the air, power hits on the ground...luigi can wavedash for crazy ground speed, and has lots of power in the air. Get him in the air, and you can jab at him with quick aerials.

Dk is a REALLY bad match up for roy. Big monkey is a pain to kill, has just as much range as you, more priority, and absolutely ***** with cargo up-throw combos.

Lol, yeah Rasta, JF's Dk likes to beast roys. I know personally, on account of several occasions. I've never had a problem with kirby, though...i played KrazyKirbyKid in tourney and beat him without too much difficulty. Just abuse your range, and stay on him once you get on him. And don't get b-air'd.
>.< We still haven't gotten the chance to ditto, rasta. You should come down to texas for HOST2 or something. Or point out another big tourney that you're going to that i might be able to make it to.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
sethlong ive played numerous luigis in tournaments and whenever i start to lose i just stand there adn do DED and they cant get around it. sure its homothug x10 but it works

and heres a quote from rasta for you sethlong:

<RastaImposta> Im 13 and I have my own infiniti q45

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Yeah...roy vs luigi definately isnt an impossible match up, just a bit un-even. Sitting back and spamming your range usually works. I beat DSF's luigi a year or two ago by pretty much just f-tilting at him whenever he waveshielded at me. I suppose DED would be safer than a f-tilt...

sheikattack

Smash Cadet
Roy is not bad for a low tier character, especially if you play Marth. Obviously his range and power are not up to Marth's level, but if you're going into a loe tier tournament, I would expect lots of people to be using Roy. He's not bad at all.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I'm still wondering how Roy's in low tier and didn't get booted down to bottom. He hasn't had a single advantage in a match for 2-3 years now. How is he still low tier?

That doesn't stop me from having fun playing him, but in terms of actual tiers, he sucks.

Either way, I would suggest not if you can find another low tier to play as. Otherwise, go for it. Marth and Roy aren't similar in their playstyles. They just have the same moveset. And timing, spacing, and mindgames are the most important things a Roy can know.

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
Luigi is better than Roy. Maybe not in a match according to McCoy, but Luigi is better than Roy in stats, amount of good match ups, and how well he does in tournaments.

And by the way McCoy, just because you CLAIM to of won many matches against Luigis with Roy, doesn't really matter at all, since the majority of the pro tourny smashers here agree that Luigi is better than Roy.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Luigi is better than Roy. Maybe not in a match according to McCoy, but Luigi is better than Roy in stats, amount of good match ups, and how well he does in tournaments.

And by the way McCoy, just because you CLAIM to of won many matches against Luigis with Roy, doesn't really matter at all, since the majority of the pro tourny smashers here agree that Luigi is better than Roy.
so......let me get this straight, you are saying that because luigi is a better character in general he automatically beats roy? ROFL.

ill prove THAT wrong right now. ic vs shiek. shiek is a better char, yet ic beat her. gg.

Top Bottom