• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Rankings and Discussion (7/14/08)

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I didn't hear, I was there as it fell apart hour by hour. :) Sorry for manny making you wait, Jake.

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
ATTENTION:

The panelists HAVE NOT decided on a final list thus NO UPDATE will occur today, tomorrow or in the near future.

Due to tardiness and lack of overall attendance at last night's panelist meeting, three of the six panelists (me, yamer, goop) agreed to retain any official list from being posted until further notice. Not to say that there is in fact an "official list" we are keeping from you guys; no, there are just some things that need to happen (namely, having this meeting with ALL THE PANELISTS) before we post ANY list.

I'd personally like to say sorry to any who were really looking forward to the list being updated this weekend. Hopefully you can rest assured that we are simply trying to make a irrefutable, concrete list that plainly has no grand errors, inaccuracies or problems. I don't believe we are shooting for perfection in the list, but we are definitely going for substance. All of the panelists want something the community can sink their teeth into and understand. Something like this takes time. Unfortunately, its going to take a little more time.

The schedule for any future meeting will try to be conducted as soon as possible. But realistically, a meeting will not happen for at least another full week (due to some panelists schedules).

Again on behalf of the panelists I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience and/or annoyance this will bring you guys.

forward

Smash Champion
I don't think we need a meeting to discuss the list. I was fine with what I saw, if everyone else is then lets post it. .

In2D

Smash Apprentice
And on the behalf of my self, id like to say sorry for not being at the discussion yesterday. I literally just passed out at 9 and didn't wake up til later. Ive had a couple of days of 9 hours of classes this week that just wore me out.

Anyways, the list will be out soon enough.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
noob. No Johns.:)

I'm guessing the power rankings are gonna be pretty surprising. Ahhh goop, you make me giggle.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Who's ok with meeting tomorrow night around 11 pm?

I am down if thats cool with everyone else.

I wanna get everyone who helped to make the list to be on aim at the time of the meeting. Its not much to ask and there are things other that just the ranked players we need to discuss (e.g. how often we should update the list and formats for future rankings). Assuming nobody comes out with glaring schedule conflicts lets meet then.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
G-mo pretty much read out all the panelist's lists to us at Vat-zero's yesterday.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Considering it seems like alot of people went to it, it should have some impact on the rankings.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
For one, Vat- Zero doesn't fall for Butt kissing. Duffo is on my good side and I can smell phony people for miles( Game recognize Game). Two, I don't think using the AC tourneys for results is a good idea. One game is not enough to determine anything. And lastly, Vat- Zero is #1.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
No no no, single elim, 1 stock single matches... with sudden death. That determines who is best

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
I really don't get how single matches doesn't determine anything. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't care if you use the Atomic tournaments in the rankings, that's all your own thing as far as I'm concerned, but I just have trouble wrapping my head around the concept of "It has to be Best 2 of 3 to count/prove something!"

However, I even made it Double Elimination and you're still telling me that it's not good enough to determine if it's result worthy? So, you're telling me that if someone loses twice in a row and is eliminated that it won't count because that person could have won if it was 2 of 3? How about just winning the first match to begin with? What happened to that?

For the record, I'm not intending to sound pissy. I'm just genuinely confused by the concept of 2 of 3 being the only "good" format.

Duff0

Smash Ace
I really don't get how single matches doesn't determine anything. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't care if you use the Atomic tournaments in the rankings, that's all your own thing as far as I'm concerned, but I just have trouble wrapping my head around the concept of "It has to be Best 2 of 3 to count/prove something!"

However, I even made it Double Elimination and you're still telling me that it's not good enough to determine if it's result worthy? So, you're telling me that if someone loses twice in a row and is eliminated that it won't count because that person could have won if it was 2 of 3? How about just winning the first match to begin with? What happened to that?

For the record, I'm not intending to sound pissy. I'm just genuinely confused by the concept of 2 of 3 being the only "good" format.
Some characters counter others and one could have picked a counter. In a 2/3 set in the second and third games you have the opportunity to change your character.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Because we like to eliminate luck from the game. You SD once, you lose. Anyone can get lucky and win one game, but you truly find out who is better with such 2/3.

I dont know if that a good enough example, but basically it is the only way to find out who is better.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Congrats gamer. Let's go to phoenix sometime and win their tourney so we can move up on the list. Yea! :D

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
Some characters counter others and one could have picked a counter. In a 2/3 set in the second and third games you have the opportunity to change your character.
I can understand this reason, actually.

I'll think on it and maybe next tournament will see Top 16 all have Best 2 of 3.

sLicK.tdf

Smash Apprentice

The whole reasoning behind the "best of" is to prove who is the consistent winner. Basketball playoffs are set like that to make sure there is no flukes. Anyone can beat someone else randomly, but can they do it more than once? Thats my feeling on the whole 2/3 3/5 sets.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
I think that's where me and a lot of other people differ, actually!

I'm a hardcore NFL fan. The playoffs there are win or go home. That has always been appealing to me. You have to be better on that day, want it more, play harder, be the best.

The Giants did all those things and that's why the Patriots did not have an undefeated season. Call it a fluke that they lost if you want, but the determination of the Giants is what did it for them. They simply wanted it more.

I don't like series as much because it makes if you lose one, no biggie, just win the rest. I think that's a lame way to look at it, but my opinion is the minority here and I can accept that.

Again, I will likely amend my rules for you guys through at least the Top 16. I don't have time for 2 of 3 in pools. :p

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
I know why 2d is confused. Its because he's the Uber Noob!!!

he's Okay at brawl, but sucks at melee. Play melee competitively, and then you'll truly see the reason behind 2/3 and 3/5 sets.

Oh yeah and also Atomicmatt is a noob, just like it says under his name. It doesn't matter what you say or feel, your wrong. HAHAHA "Look at me, I'm atomic matt, I like playing one game because sets scare me"

man-up, son.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
I know why 2d is confused. Its because he's the Uber Noob!!!
Oh yeah and also Atomicmatt is a noob, just like it says under his name. It doesn't matter what you say or feel, your wrong. HAHAHA "Look at me, I'm atomic matt, I like playing one game because sets scare me"

man-up, son.
If you're going to try and ridicule someone, you should at least learn the difference between your and you're. It's really annoying and shows a complete lack of intelligence, which makes me sad. :(

Top Bottom