• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arena Ferox: Research Notes

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Again with pictures!

Previously Covered:
Rainbow Road
Mute City
Magicant
Unova Pokemon League

Layout:
Arena Ferox is a simple flat surface, slightly larger than Final Destination. The sides taper down to a narrower supporting pillar that extends all the way to the bottom blast zone and can be used to wall jump. Players 1 and 2 start near the edges, while Players 3 and 4 start closer to the middle.

The stage periodically undergoes a transformation into 1 of 4 different forms before reverting back to neutral and repeating. The process in general is almost identical to Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2.

The Omega Form shrinks ever so slightly to match the dimensions of Final Destination but is otherwise identical.

Arena Ferox has no damaging hazards.

Transformations:
There are a total of 4 different transformations. Each transformation is heralded by a layer of purple fog on the stage that lasts for 3 seconds as the various stage features rise from the ground. The transformation lasts 30 seconds before the fog reappears and everything descends back into the ground. The stage then remains in its neutral form for 10 seconds before repeating the cycle.

Although the fog signals when a transformation is imminent, there is no indication of which transformation will come up next until it actually appears. The precise order is random, but each cycle of 4 transformations is guaranteed to use each form once. Furthermore, the same form cannot appear twice in a row.

Under currently unknown circumstances it is possible for players to fall through the stage as it transforms. Gfycat link provided courtesy of @ KanjiGames KanjiGames . (Watch Dark Pit.)

Transformation | Image | Notes
Main Platform |
| Essentially a carbon copy of Final Destination.
Transition Fog |
| Lasts 3 seconds, appears whenever the stage changes.
Chains |
| Hanging platforms descend from ceiling instead of rising from the ground. They can be broken and have approximately 50 HP. When reverting back to neutral, platforms rise up again but vanish before reaching upper blast line, allowing characters to fall back to the stage.
Gears |
| Platforms on left move counterclockwise at constant speed on fixed path. Solid platform has no grabbable edges.
Pillars |
| Solid platforms have no grabbable edges. Side platforms extend past ledge by a fair amount.
Statues |
| Statues can be broken and have approximately 60 HP each. Testing suggests the left statue has slightly less HP than the right statue, but results were inconsistent.

Summary:
  • Main platform slightly larger than Final Destination.
  • Area under stage tapered but solid.
  • Transformations signaled by 3 seconds of purple fog.
  • Transformations last 30 seconds. See table above for details.
  • 10 seconds between transformations.
  • No damaging hazards.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
yesterday i lost in a tournament cause i didn't see the ledge thanks to the fog and the zoomed camera (enemy wa soffstage too)

not that i'd have won anyways, but i felt quite cheated... git gud, maybe.
Honestly that's become one of my biggest complaints with the 3DS version: screen size. Luckily I won't be forced to use it (except on-the-go) soon!
Seriously though, the non-XL 3DS screen is way too small for team matches, especially if people are spread out...

Also, with regards to the stage, I really like this stage but I recently had to move it to a Counterpick (we're using a rather liberal stage list for experimental purposes) because of how common the techable walls are. As Lucario, I love this stage because as long as you can tech you never die.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I wanted to like this stage more, but there are just so many little things that are annoying about it. Like the smoke from transforming, the solid walls on almost every transformation, and the projectile blocking statues on the one that doesn't.

People compare it to PS1 but PS1 had an interesting base layout with the two platforms and only 2 of the 4 transformations were problematic. Arena Ferox's base form is just a longer FD and all of it's transformations are a pain in some way.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I've seen that glitch before, but it isn't exclusive to Arena, I've seen it on Omega versions of a few stages.

Top Bottom