• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are your eyes on yourself or your opponent?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I have my attention divided between myself and the opponent, slightly biased towards myself. I get the general impression that this is a habit I need to fix...

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I find it best to keep your eyes moving all the time. Watching yourself, with different characters, over time, gets you a real feel for the exact reach and usefulness (or uselessness) of certain moves. Obviously, however, you have to also watch your opponent to predict their attacks and figure out their strategy. Plus, shifting your eyes around a lot helps you notice items and other things (hidden trophies in SSE, for example) that some other players won't catch right away.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
I look at my opponent... you already know what YOU'RE going to do, why would you have to be looking at yourself?
my thoughts exactly, with the exception of when I get hit off stage to see how far I go, and if I hear the tripping sound to see how bad the consequences will be...

Geist

Smash Master
I really don't know. At this point it's involuntairy. I would assume i'm either simultaniously watching both characters or my eyes are moving back and forth so fast I can disrupt reality itself and send my opponent into a whirlpool of empty matter.

God I wish I could do that.

Royblazer

Smash Apprentice
I tend to focus on both. Focus more on myself sometimes if I play against Snake. And keep a mental note of where the explosives are.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
I don't really watch either, so much as watching the paths of both. That way, I can space well, and anticipate better with my spacing. It also gives me an idea of what they're doing. And like most others, I keep mental notes of snake traps, though I also mentally catalog any combo they repeat, and then trick them into doing it again, only to make them eat a double team to the face/back.

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
Once I actually think about it, I'm not even sure what I look at, maybe just the entire screen. But I do know that I have to look at the field more if I'm playing as/against Snake.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
My eyes are at the screen but the majority of my attention is at my opponent. You need to be aware of your location very precisely to be able to counterattack effectively but for proper reactions you really need to quickly understand what's happening with your prey....although since i've been playing fighters most of my life i sorta just do it without any thoughts...i'm not like "where should i look now?" when i play.

LordZero

Smash Cadet
I look at both, any dangerous terrain/items, theirs and my postilions relative to each other and to the edges of the screen plus any changes to the environment.

Genghis Krahn

Smash Cadet
I wear blinders. Like a horse. And I look directly at what's happening in the background of each level. I win almost all the time.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Mainly my opponent, I know what Im going to do and I have to watch out for anything coming but theres a lot of times I need to concentrate on my character. Though when using sonic I tend to watch myself.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Mainly my opponent, I know what Im going to do and I have to watch out for anything coming but theres a lot of times I need to concentrate on my character. Though when using sonic I tend to watch myself.
idealy thats what your suposed to do but
i have a abd habit of watching myself and
using preferal vision to spot the enemy.
i dont know how anyone is gunna help me
with that but w/e just wanted to throw my
2 cents in there.

Zodiac

Smash Master
You should ALWAYS watch your opponent! If you watch them your observing your surroundings and can react much quicker and devise a plan of counter action very fast opposed to looking at your own character and then seeing an attack coming at the last second.

You should know your posistion and style well enough that you can know where you stand and are able to constantly keep an eye on your opponent (Save for when your recovery, but even then!)

Not only are you able to react quicker to your opponents attacks (Instinct style of play) but if you constantly watch your opponent(You can quote me on this) you will see holes in their strategy to exploit, and in turn now that you've observed those holes, when the opportunity comes to exploit those holes, you'll already know how to (Or have a much better idea of how to) exploit those holes and use them to your full advantage!

Moon/Sun

Smash Apprentice
Both, peripheral vision comes in handy. Also I tend to go most of the match not blinking and not realize it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
basically this is a big point of interest in any fighting game. I explained this to a friend of mine about my opinion on why I had a slight edge over him in Soul Calibur. I asked him where he looked while he was playing. and he said that he looks at himself so that he can tell what moves hes doing and exactly when he can move again. i asked my other friend where he looks when he plays and he said that he looks at both ppl, so that he can judge spacing time his movements. I told them that i thought that i had an edge over them in the game because through my movements i noticed that i could always tell where i was in the game a nd because of that, i never had to look at my character.

I always looked at the opponent since, spacing isnt as big an issue in traditional fighters because the opponent is never more than 5 steps away from you. so i could focus on the other person and learn their moves and habits and could cater my defense accordingly.

However, smash brothers is a totally different game than Soul Calibur and requires a very different out look. most ppl cant only look at their opponent in smash. Because of the freeform nature, its much harder to know exactly where you are on the stage, so you have to look at yourself at least once in a while. Look at sonic, if you try to play him looking only at your opponent, the suicides are going to be quick and numerous. but if you look only at yourself, projectiles are going to **** you everytime you pick up the controlers, so the only way to play this game is to look at your opponent and yourself, the only discrepancy, is that every person has their own personal middle ground that they play at. some ppl play 60%- 40% looking at themselves, or 75%-25% looking at the other person, it all depends on your personal style and method of play.

Top Bottom