• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are YOU tired of sliding so far?

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
as i play with captain falcon i notice two things;
1. He is fast as hell​
2. He slides like hell​

accordingly, i tried to figure out a way to do one of my favorite moves, the up smash, without sliding across the world. Using my ridiculously massive intelligence, i came up with the Pivot Jump Canceled Up Smash. It does all the things that a boost smash would do ( decrease the slide distance) except times fifty gajillion. Pretty much all you do, is run, smash the control stick the opposite way like to pivot, immediately jump, then immidiately up smash; the last two are almost at the exact same time, but the jump a little earlier. The reason this happens is because the pivot stops the forward momentum ( or at least lessens it), the jump cancels the animation of the pivot, and the upsmash cancels the animation of the jump, so you get an up smash without the skates on his feet.

I think this is better than a boost smash because with a boost smash you essentially just run up, stop, and kick. there really is no point. with this at least, you can begin the approach far enough away where you can charge it a litte but close enough where your opponent won't see it coming. i don't how you all will take this, but i think this is a helpful technique, im not gonna be self-absorbed and go as far as to say i found a super sweet advanced technique, but i think it's nice to have in your repitiore to pull out everyonce in a while.

Tenki

Smash Hero
For tap jump on, it's done this way:

[run] > [diagonal up+back]+[A]. It does a reverse U-smash while you're running. There's pretty much no movement at all, and you face the opposite direction that you were running.

For tap jump off, it's done this way:
[run] > [diagonal up+back]+[jump]+[A]

At the Sonic boards, someone brought this up once, and everyone was kinda just like
"well, why don't you just learn the distance for the u-smash out of dash's slide?"

It has its uses for 'precision', but would you rather:
a) Stay in one place during the whole start up animation for a move with very little horizontal distance?
b) Charge the attack while running, so you slide while you're attacking, as a moving attackbox?

For Sonic's Usmash, it at least covers his whole body. For Falcon, AFAIK, he only damages the direction he's facing.

Falcon isn't fast :d
10you'retooslows

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Well, it's good that you're thinking and actively trying to find things to improve Falcon's game (you know, as compared to 90% of the forum), but I just can't see any reason to do this. I can't see any time when a running Upsmash wouldn't work just as well or better, so long as you're acquainted with the slide distance. It's faster, and keeps Falcon's hitboxes between him and the opponent.

That being said, if you really want to shorten his slide distance, why not just run, shield, and Jump-Cancel Upsmash out of shield? It's just as fast as the pivot, but has the added bonus of keeping the Upsmash aimed in the direction you were running, and you can bail and just hold the shield if things don't go as planned.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
10videos..
It's a lot easier than it sounds, really. Been doing this for a while now :\

Anyways, lets say you dash forward, stop exactly what you're doing to do an Usmash, that's basically what it looks like. This can be done throughout the various means that have been posted, it's to prevent Falcon from sliding twenty feet ahead when doing a running usmash.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
okay, lemme say another tech that i use sometimes, which is when the sliding up smash kicks SO MUCH ***. as you come toward the stage from the air, buffer your landing in their direction and kick em in their eyesocket; they never expect it since he slides so far, its like the equivalent to a falco boost smash, which kicks almost as much

Top Bottom