• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you dissapointed Dark Pit was a clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm not using "He doesn't belong here", in a hateful context. You're saying that I'm using that in a hateful context, when I'm saying it wasn't hateful to begin with. Saying that, "He doesn't belong here", can imply many of meanings, the one I meant to imply however, wasn't hateful. I'll clarify with me saying that I used "he doesn't belong here" in a sense that he has no place being in Smash Bros. with Pit already in existence. Dark Pit is a fine character, and to me he has a place in Uprising, not in Smash Bros..

I haven't proven anything that favors you, sadly. This thread is getting really flooded up with our argument, so please private message me if you want to discuss the feelings of fictional characters.
There's no reason to continue this anyway. It's obvious that you came here solely for hate, like the rest who were upset over the roster. I don't even need an apology, just don't come back.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If he was more luigified i would have ben okay with this

But nope almost everymove is exactly the same as pits

And worse this could have ben a patlette swap

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I'm happy we got the extra clone characters. I'm not complaining, and I'm looking forward to using Dark Pit to embarrass the people who are.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Im saying

He would have ben a better clone if he was not overly simular to pit

I mean luigi to mario and fox to falco don't have 100% identical moves only 60%
do got a video showing Dark Pit moveset because I didn't get to see it but some people are saying he have only two special moves that are just like Pit or have brawl Pit moves. Also Dark Pit's final smash is different.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Personally i wanna main him but still Y U NO MAKE DARK PIT USE THE STAFF SAKURAI! He had potential but he's a clone so what are my thoughts dissapointment -_-
I'm glad he made it in. He's one of my favorite characters in Uprising.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Am I disappointed? No not at all.
Dark Pit being original would have been 100x times worse than him being a clone, because it would mean Sakurai decided to put in 3 original Kid Icarus characters from the early planning stages of the game, and dedicated an even more enormous amount of time and resources to the series.
If his bias was that out of control, he would need to step down from smash.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
If he were his own original character, how could I complain.
Atleast effort was put into him.
I'd rather Ganondorf have his own move set than Dark Pit though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nope... I am not disappointed. I knew he would be a clone of Pit... because that's what he literally is in Uprising. That said, I am not butthurt over his inclusion... he is only a last-minute filler clone so I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut from SSB5.

Daz Larc

Smash Rookie
Ok the argument that there is many other weapons in uprising is a valid one. yes dark pit is a clone but only two times dose he use the same weapons you have (first battle against pandora and when you play as him against pandora) in the level where you chase him he uses multiple weapons, one of those include the dark pit staff. the other are the EZ cannon, violet palm, ogre club, and the silver bow. he also uses the first blade during some flying parts in other missions.

So yeah he prefers specif different weapons. i was bummed it was just a clone because of the other weapons he has used in uprising. lucina's stats are different enough that playing her is a whole different game not just a speed and power change marth relies on the tip hits while lucina need not worry about that, that really changes how a person plays a character, Dr. Mario is actually the full melee version of mario so not just a full out clone. toon link always had diffrent hit boxes, his jabs tilts and smashes where diffrent moves to begin with, so was falcos. Dark pit is just another gannon but they even changed gannon a bit since melee so cant even compare them.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ok the argument that there is many other weapons in uprising is a valid one. yes dark pit is a clone but only two times dose he use the same weapons you have (first battle against pandora and when you play as him against pandora) in the level where you chase him he uses multiple weapons, one of those include the dark pit staff. the other are the EZ cannon, violet palm, ogre club, and the silver bow. he also uses the first blade during some flying parts in other missions.

So yeah he prefers specif different weapons. i was bummed it was just a clone because of the other weapons he has used in uprising. lucina's stats are different enough that playing her is a whole different game not just a speed and power change marth relies on the tip hits while lucina need not worry about that, that really changes how a person plays a character, Dr. Mario is actually the full melee version of mario so not just a full out clone. toon link always had diffrent hit boxes, his jabs tilts and smashes where diffrent moves to begin with, so was falcos. Dark pit is just another gannon but they even changed gannon a bit since melee so cant even compare them.
Pit is definitely faster, and DP definitely hits harder. It's subtle, but it could prove to be important in certain matchups. Can we wait things out before we declare him a useless clone?

ObsidianFH

Smash Rookie
I was really hyped up for him, and when I saw the silhouette of the staff in his challenger approaching picture I thought he was going to use the staff in battle for more than his final smash. Apparently not.

Still, I support him, and I'll main him simply because he's one of my favorite characters and I enjoy Pit's play style.

BlitzBlazer

Smash Rookie
What type of move set would you give Dark Pit if he wasn't a clone?
I'd make his default attacks use the Dark Pit Staff instead of the Silver Bow.
His Neutral B could still be the same though.

His Up B could be Pit's in Brawl. Dark Pit can fly on his own in Uprising after all.

His Side B could use the Ogre Club he used in chapter 6 of Uprising. Press the button and Dark Pit will swing the Ogre Club to do decent damage and knockback. Hold the button and Dark Pit will charge an attack with it. When the attack if fully charged he will shoot a short ranged projectile, just like when you use a club in Uprising.

His Down B could still be the Guardian Orbiters.

For his Final Smash Dark Pit could fly to the top of the stage, from there when you use an attack Dark Pit would fire shots in the direction you aim. If you pause between shots for a moment the next shot Dark Pit will fire will be a charged shot.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Pit has the bow, arm, and orbitars used so...

I think Pittoo should use his staff, palm, cannon, and bow. I don't know about the Ogre Club since the Ore Club is featured.

My ideas for his specials:

Up Special:
1. Violet Palms. Basically a shoryuken move to be simple.
2. If EZ Cannon, then a rocket jump. Why? Why not?
3. Power of Flight. Yay, vanilla option...

Side Special:
1. Silver Bow. If you played Uprising then you know you can dodge and shoot at the same time. So, this is what Pittoo will do, he'll dive and shoot a couple of arrows.
2. Violet Palms. I don't know about this; I never played Uprising, but I seen a playthrough of it and I don't recall palms being used much.
3. Ogre Club. Swing it, slam it, whatever.

Neutral Special:
1. Dark Pit Staff. Functionally, it'd work like Falco's Blaster that travels far, but like Pit's Palutena's Arrow, you can aim it.
2. EZ Cannon. Now you can aim it unlike the Down Special idea! Whoopie!
3. Silver Bow. Yay, more vanilla options...

Down Special:
1. EZ Cannon. I don't know what to say besides Pittoo will just shoot it.
2. Ogre Club: One, he can do something similar to King Dedede and Kirby or he could just slam it down instead of swinging it.
3. Violet Palms. A move similar to Lucario's Down Smash where Lucario hits both sides, but the Palms augment the range and basically gives Pittoo a good defense option, but only for his sides.

Final Smash:
1. Sniper. Basically a copy of Snake's and SSB4 Zero Suit Samus's Final Smashes. It makes sense since he does snipe you in Uprising.
2. Power of Flight. Basically, he'd go Charizard X, Super Sonic, or Super Dragon Yoshi on you.
3. Pit Two. This might be weird, especially with another Pit player, but he could do a tag-team attack.
4. Doom Cannon. Similar to Samus's Zero Laser, but with DOOM!
5. Dark Pit Staff. Yay... More vanilla options.

Wow, what a wasted character... I doubt people would be that mad at Pittoo if he wasn't a clone. Same with Lucina except she gets the benefit of not looking like her "original".

Last edited:

ObsidianFH

Smash Rookie
A while back I developed a moveset for DP based around a side B that allowed for an aerial grab. I want to write that for PM at some point, but it'll be more than a while.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Am I surprised by him getting in? Sure. But not because he's a clone. Heck, it would be hypocritical of me, since I wanted Dr. Mario: another clone.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Maybe the reason he got in was because that it would look weird to see Dark Pit using the Sacred Treasures, and that's how he didn't get to be an alt., but then became a playable character. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that people would be more mad if Dark Pit was unique because they would just blame it on Sakurai's bias. Damned if he is a clone... damned if he is not a clone. This is one of the few examples where people actually want less characters.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
But Sakurai knows that he developed the best game all time.... He had show how funny Kid Icarus Uprising is.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Here's my ideas for Dark Pit's moveset.

Neutral Special Standard: Dark Pit Staff Shot, if you don't use it in a while, I will be a charged shot, them uses rapid fire.

Side Special: Electroshock Arm. Now if Dark Pit is on the ground, he'll rush at enemies and do the melee combo animation with the Electroshock Arm and in the air use the uppercut motion.

Up Special: It should stay the same.

Down Special: Magnus Club : Dark Pit swings the Magnus Club, it creating a mini tornado the surrounds Dark Pit, based on the backwards shot of the Magnus Club.

Others:
The dash attack should be the dash attack from Uprising (Spinning the bow, damaging opponents multiple times)

F-Air should be Pit's from Brawl.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this.

Last edited:

SullyJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dejay15
3DS FC
4081-6913-3923
Here were my idea's Dark Pit
His Main Weapon would be the Pandora Claws
Neutral-B: would be a charge move like Samus or Lucario. Fully charged will shoot that Pandora Face thing a short distance for a short time.
Side-B: I kinda like the Electroshock arm or he could use the Dark Pit Staff, It would work kinda like Pits arrow he could aim it and it would penetrate enemies.
Down B: I have no other ideas so He could keep the Guardian orbitars
Up-B: Would be the Power of Flight.

Neutral A: Would be the Slash, Slash, Kick Combo with the Pandora Claws, kick has launch power
Side Tilt: Would be just a side kick
Down tilt: I have no ideas it be a slash or kick or whatever
Up-tilt: Would be a upward swipe with the Pandora Claws, not unlike Bowser's

Foward Smash: He would do a punch or palm strike with the Violet Palm enhanced with energy
Up-Smash and Down-Smash would use the silver bow similar to Pit

Neutral Aerial: Same as Pit
Up Aerial: He'd spin some orbitars above his Head.
Foward Aerial: He would do a foward downward overhead slash with the Samurai Blade or First Blade
Back Aerial: He would Swing the Crusher Arm behind Him
Down Aerial: He would shoot the Ez Cannon Downwards

For His Final Smash I could see him using either the Great Sacred Treasure, Or he would wreck everyone with the Ogre Club.

Those were just my ideas before I found out that he was a clone, the possibilities man but it was just wishful thinking.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Very disappointed. Him being a clone just made another excuse for people who don't know much about Dark Pit to call him a 'pallet swap'.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, not really. If always thought that if he did get in, it would be as a clone. I never imagined he would ever truly be unique. And besides, the fact that he's such a clone means that less time was spent on making him; he's more or less a bonus character added in later on. If anything, that gives me a reason to not be upset about his inclusion.

Maybe the reason he got in was because that it would look weird to see Dark Pit using the Sacred Treasures, and that's how he didn't get to be an alt., but then became a playable character. :troll:
I highly doubt that was the reason, as Bowser Jr.'s alternate costumes all use the Shadow Mario Final Smash, which is something specific to Bowser Jr. If that wasn't a problem, I doubt Dark Pit using the Sacred Treasures would be.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As pointless as I find Dark Pit to be, and how much I wanted Medusa instead (as a clone), she wasn't going to happen as none of the clone characters were original intended to be independent clones. All of them were supposed to be palette swaps.

And it would have been quite odd to have Medusa as a Palutena costume.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Nope, I'm fine with it. I had a hard time trying to justify his inclusion if he wasn't a clone, since his resources could go to a more "deserving" character or just one with more Nintendo history. However, since he was a clone and required minimal work, he gets an easy pass, just like Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Also, Kid Icarus spoiler!

He actually is a clone... with identical base stats as Pit... with the only difference being the weapon modifiers. His role in Smash as a clone is more than fitting.[/collpase]

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Not a fan of Dark Pit already. I have no problem with the character himself, but his inclusion as a clone in Smash Bros is just really disappointing. Would've rathered him to have his own moveset (like everybody else) or a completely different character. The only newcomers I am disappointed with is Dark Pit and Dr Mario, mainly because they look exactly like a veteran fighter so why not just make them a pallet swap for Pit and Mario?

I'll just say that I don't know anything about Dark Pit and his appearnances in Kid Icarus games, but I'm just making assumptions based on what I know about him in Smash. Pls don't attack me for my lack of knowledge. :p

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll just say that I don't know anything about Dark Pit and his appearnances in Kid Icarus games, but I'm just making assumptions based on what I know about him in Smash. Pls don't attack me for my lack of knowledge. :p
In all honesty, his role in Smash is very akin to his role in Uprising: he's a flawed clone of Pit with a much more aggressive, aloof personality who fights with his own weapons and prefers doing his own thing. He does come to the aid of Pit and Palutena sometimes, but only when he wants to - he's totally in it for himself and bears no loyalty to anybody other than his own quirks and foibles.

I actually like that about him in Smash, though. It's true to his persona in Uprising and demonstrates that he really is Pit's "dark side" made manifest: a raw, unhinged warrior that loves fighting and doesn't give a damn what anybody else thinks of his intense actions.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
To those who have played soul calibur 2 and then a future version, you may remember Nightmare getting a clone (Siegfried). It was a great addition to the game and to me this feels very similar. Sure I could care less about Dark Pit but he's just another option Sakurai didn't need to give us. He's a freebie like Doc and Lucina.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
To those who have played soul calibur 2 and then a future version, you may remember Nightmare getting a clone (Siegfried). It was a great addition to the game and to me this feels very similar. Sure I could care less about Dark Pit but he's just another option Sakurai didn't need to give us. He's a freebie like Doc and Lucina.
That's true, but at least they looked different :awesome: And they tweaked Nighmare's moveset in the later games which was a good thing. If Dark Pit, Dr Mario and Lucina are in later Smash installments, all I hope for is for a different moveset. And I know I'm not alone on this, very few people like clones.

Going back to Nightmare and Siegfried, the reason I'm less annoyed with Lucina is because she doesn't look exactly like Marth. Sure they have the blue outfit, blue hair and stuff but they are two different people.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
If you want me to be honest, I would be more angry if Dark Pit wasn't a complete clone, because that would mean actual effort went into making him. Dark Pit folks, Dark Pit was deserving of that effort =.=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom