• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Are you buying a Wii-U just for Smash 4????

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I am excited to get a wii-u. The tablet, miiverse, and the chance to play the games on the tablet itself are really cool additions. Can't wait to try it out. Hopefully they release a Smash for Wii-u bundle when the game comes out. Nintendo would be crazy if they didn't.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
We're getting a Wii U mainly for SSB4, 3D World, Lost World and Wind Waker HD.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
agreed. As a gamer who started playing super mario world when it came out, nintendo games just don't have that same appeal to me. Guess thats what happens when we grow up. I still play brawl to this day and I expect to play smash 4 for years to come. Hopefully smash 4's online is better.
I dont know how old are you but i have seen adults playing and loving Nintendo games just as much as they did in their childhood or whenever age they played the games.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
We're getting a Wii U mainly for SSB4, 3D World, Lost World and Wind Waker HD.
Same here. (however I would add for myself Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 to the list)

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Same here. (however I would add for myself Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 to the list)

I'm actually not getting it myself, tomorrow's my little brother's birthday and he's getting Mario Bros. U, Super Luigi U, Lost World and Wind Waker with it. Lucky little monkey.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
I haven't gotten a Wii U yet but when I do it'll be for these games listed in order from most excited to still want but not as much:
  1. Legend of Zelda. Wii U
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Super Mario 3D World
  4. Star Fox. Wii U
  5. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
  6. F-Zero. Wii U
  7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  8. Bayonetta 2
  9. Pikmin 3
  10. Metroid. Wii U
  11. Kirby. Wii U
  12. The Wonderful 101
  13. Sonic: Lost World
  14. New Super Mario Bros. U
  15. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
more to be added as the system becomes older and gets a larger library of games

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Smash 4 is the only reason i own a Wi U right now.
Everything else is just a bonus.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I haven't gotten a Wii U yet but when I do it'll be for these games listed in order from most excited to still want but not as much:
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Super Mario 3D World
  4. Star Fox. Wii U
  6. F-Zero. Wii U
  8. Bayonetta 2
  9. Pikmin 3
  10. Metroid. Wii U
  11. Kirby. Wii U
  12. The Wonderful 101
If only.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I'm totally gonna snag a Wii U by the end of the year because of Mario and DKC next year. Anyone hear of any Black Friday deals?

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Forgot the Wii U could play other games. Would have bought monster hunter 3 for it, but after the servers just stopped working on the Wii version, kinda left the impression it could very well happen to the Wii U version too at Capcom's discretion. Yeah its a Smash console for me, everything else is a perk. I guess a better question would be if anyone uses their Wii for anything other than Smash? Kinda hard to persuade anyone to play a Wii game, except Smash.

gideonisbaas

Smash Rookie
I'm seriously considering it. I didnt buy a wii when brawl came out. And i dont want to miss out on this on.
a large factor for me if i gonne get the wii u for smash is. If it plays more like melee and i hope its a more balanced game.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Yes, I don't own a Wii U, but I'll get it whenever one of these two games come out: Smash Bros. or Mario Kart 8. After that, I'll probably get NSMB U, Tropical Freeze and Wind Waker HD.

Right now, it still doesn't have enough games I want to warrant a purchase, especially considering I have a bunch of 3DS games left to play.

finalark

SNORLAX
SMT X Fire Emblem, whatever new LoZ Nintendo puts out for the console, Sonic Lost World and Smash 4 are pretty much the main driving force for me. I'm crossing my fingers for F-Zero (sadly the Big N seems to have abandoned that franchise) and a new Star Fox in the same vein as Assault (but since SF fans throw a fit if a game isn't like SF64 I know that's not happening). Oh well, a guy can dream.

Morbi

Scavenger
I already purchased my Wii U, mostly just for Smash. However, now that I own that brick, I think it would be pertinent to also buy some other games. The new Zelda coming out, Mario Kart, etc.

finalark

SNORLAX
I already purchased my Wii U, mostly just for Smash. However, now that I own that brick, I think it would be pertinent to also buy some other games. The new Zelda coming out, Mario Kart, etc.

I don't own a Wii U myself, but one of my friends does and he ****ing loves it and we play it all the damn time. If you like Sonic (or just want a sold, challenging platformer) check out Sonic Lost World. I'd also take a look at Super Luigi U if you want something similar but Sonic isn't your cup of tea.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't own a Wii U myself, but one of my friends does and he ****ing loves it and we play it all the damn time. If you like Sonic (or just want a sold, challenging platformer) check out Sonic Lost World. I'd also take a look at Super Luigi U if you want something similar but Sonic isn't your cup of tea.
I might actually do that, the Super Luigi U that is. I was under the impression that it was an expansion for the Super Mario U or something. I am also thinking about that new one that launches on the 21st/22nd. My sister and I would probably have fun playing co-op on it.

finalark

SNORLAX
I might actually do that, the Super Luigi U that is. I was under the impression that it was an expansion for the Super Mario U or something. I am also thinking about that new one that launches on the 21st/22nd. My sister and I would probably have fun playing co-op on it.

Super Lugi U is a standalone expansion for Mario Bros U (I.E. if can be downloaded as an expansion or bought physically as a stand alone game). Super Lugi U is much, much harder than Mario Bros U and it assumes that you're pretty good at platforms. You are only given 100 seconds to finish a level and nearly every level in the game is about as hard as end-game levels in most 2D Mario games. Thankfully, the game is about as long as normal Mario games too. Frankly, as someone who really enjoys challenging games I personally really liked Luigi U.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
WONDERFUL 101! Seriously, that game is one that i recommend. It's one of the best character action games i've played in a while.

Also, Rayman Legends if you want another amazing platformer. (the Wii U version is accepted as the best version)

metaknave

Smash Apprentice
Down the line, I might, but only because of the other games I'm interested in, like Mario Kart 8 and 3D World. For now, I'm fine with the 3DS version.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
I got mine mostly for the titles X and Smash Bros. 4. In the mean time I've played Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD, so that was pretty cool. Also, since playing Fire Emblem Awakening, I am definitely looking forward to the cross over with SMT coming out sometime in the future. Other games I'm looking forward to are mario kart 8 and whatever the new legend of zelda title is.

Though, I guess my wii u will be a smash and mario kart machine, since everything else I'll probably put down after I beat the story, while for those games I'll keep going back to play whenever I have friends over.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
While Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U (and New Super Luigi U) were fun, and Wind Waker HD was beautiful and a worthy remake (still wish they'd put in a bonus dungeon tho), they weren't really reasons to buy the console. I knew I was going to get it anyway, so I bought it. It's actually pretty nice for watching Netflix as well. Releases have been too light, even for me. I'm in grad school and I can't really play that many games when it's not the summer. Still they needed to have at least two or three A-list titles over the past year that weren't there. It sat there largely unused for the spring and summer (fortunately, I finally got a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles in the spring which was very long so I didn't feel that bad about it).

But, now the real games are coming.

And I have to say, I'm highly anticipating Super Mario 3D World. It looks amazing, and it should definitely help the Wii U finally move some consoles this Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold more this Christmas than the whole past year on the strength of that title.

But then there's Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. DKCR was a great, fun, challenging game and DKCTF should be good fun too. And I'm curious to find out who the mysterious fourth character is (could it be K Rool?).

And then another couple months later... Mario Kart 8! I'll be pretty satisfied with the releases between now and April because of that.

And of course Smash. And X at some point...

And eventually Zelda U and hopefully Metroid U will round out my Nintendo must-haves.

But Nintendo really needed to get Super Mario 3D World and/or Mario Kart 8 out like... a year ago. If they had done that (with the marketing to back it up), the Wii U wouldn't be having the trouble it is now. Mario Kart especially. That moves consoles. Mario Kart Wii sold an amazing 33 million copies...

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
No, i already own a Wii U and it's not just because of Smash. I just love Nintendo and I like the idea of the tablet controller, and im currently enjoying my 1st and 3rd party titles on it. Smash Bros is just an added bonus to this awesome console. I don't like the idea of buying a console just for one game. Im also getting a PS4 (eventually, i don't want one now), but i certainly do not plan to get it for just one title. I want to expand it's library of 1st party and 3rd party games.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Super Mario 3D World
  4. Star Fox. Wii U
  6. F-Zero. Wii U
  8. Bayonetta 2
  9. Pikmin 3
  10. Metroid. Wii U
  11. Kirby. Wii U
  12. The Wonderful 101
^This, totally agree, just say, how you would buy a console for just one game, and we are talking about Nintendo, we will eventually have a New Zelda, New Metroid, etc. if those games wouldnt convince, then i dont know why....
Also dont forget:
-Earthbound in the VC
-A ton of VC games to come
-Gamecube and Gameboy Advance VC

finalark

SNORLAX
And eventually Zelda U and hopefully Metroid U will round out my Nintendo must-haves.

I'll be honest, I'd be really excited for a new Metroid game but only under the condition that they keep Team Ninja away from it. Sadly, it seems like Nintendo doesn't quite know what to do with Metroid now that Retro is done with the Prime trilogy and is focusing on DKC. Maybe they'll do a 2.5D throwback like NSMB if they can't find a way to replicate Prime's success.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
To be fair, F-Zero and Star Fox have been dormant for a while, so there's no guarantee that we'll get them for Wii U.

And considering Metroid Other M bombed, it may also take a while for Samus to come back... (Thanks, Sakamoto)

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Forgot the Wii U could play other games. Would have bought monster hunter 3 for it, but after the servers just stopped working on the Wii version, kinda left the impression it could very well happen to the Wii U version too at Capcom's discretion. Yeah its a Smash console for me, everything else is a perk. I guess a better question would be if anyone uses their Wii for anything other than Smash? Kinda hard to persuade anyone to play a Wii game, except Smash.
Agreed. Playing mario and zelda are nice, but once we finish that I am kinda done. Smash has great long lasting appeal.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I dont know how old are you but i have seen adults playing and loving Nintendo games just as much as they did in their childhood or whenever age they played the games.

I am in my 20s. Just saying some nintendo games aren't as good as thier old games. I like a challenge in games and when you play super mario world then play new super mario bros wii there is no comparison, but your right there are still those nintendo games that are great like Mario Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess.

finalark

SNORLAX
I am in my 20s. Just saying some nintendo games aren't as good as thier old games. I like a challenge in games and when you play super mario world then play new super mario bros wii there is no comparison, but your right there are still those nintendo games that are great like Mario Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess.

Super Luigi U is made for people like you and I if you have yet to play it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Now, thats a good point, cant argue with that.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I don't like the idea of buying a games console for the purpose of playing one or two games on it. Sure, buying more games equals more money, but video gaming in general is just a pricy hobby. It's your own choice, but personally, I hate seeing something left to collect dust when it can be put away, sold or put to use other use. (Like a foot stool.)

Wii U WAS pretty dead during its first year. Hell, I played more Wii games at the time than Wii U. But when Pikmin 3 came around, more and more Wii U games were launched and now I'm at the point of choosing which games I wanna buy.

Pikmin 3, Wind Waker, Sonic Racing Transformed, Rayman Legends, Wondeful 101 and Sonic Lost World are what I've played and enjoyed so far, with more games coming in future I can't wait to play. (NSMBU was just disappointing.)

pelotaz0

Smash Cadet
Mostly for Smash, but i'm waiting for news of the new Zelda, and of course, my dear Metroid

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
agreed. As a gamer who started playing super mario world when it came out, nintendo games just don't have that same appeal to me. Guess thats what happens when we grow up. I still play brawl to this day and I expect to play smash 4 for years to come. Hopefully smash 4's online is better.
I still like Nintendo games, and I've been playing them every since I was 5....

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I still like Nintendo games, and I've been playing them every since I was 5....

Me too I love nintendo games. Just boggles my mind when they add a win powerup for example in a mario game or and easy mode in any game. It is there for those who want it, but back in the days of no internet, they gave us some of the most challenging games and kids like us beat those games when we were ten. Hate to see that design in nintendo games, but like I said its there for those who want it I suppose. With A Link between Worlds, it seems like they are going back to that old school mentality of you are on your own. I love to see that.

RockySmash

Smash Rookie
I bought my wii u for pikmin 3 and dragon quest 10 which never gotten a western release

Top Bottom