• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you a better Brawl player than you were a Melee/64 player?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
For me, it's a resounding "yes". Watching videos of other Bowser players in action certainly helped me to learn new tricks of the trade, and playing online against competitive opponents I would've never faced IRL has likewise boosted my skills immensely.

How do others feel about this? Has online been just the thing or is learning to play with lag crippling your offline matches?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Yes. I had no tech skill in either game (melee/64), and in Brawl i'm about the same speed as everyone else who plays. :)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm ashamed to admit this, but I didn't even start shieldgrabbing or using tilts until Brawl.

How awful is THAT?

Kaze127

Smash Rookie
i was a lot better at melee. but they nerfed my fox! oh noes! plus brawl is way slower and a lot of the techs we all used to do are gone. but ill learn new techs for brawl lol.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Yes, probably because Brawl is an easier game as of right now. Competition isn't as fierce. Later on, I think this question will be a little harder to answer.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Brawl actually made me a better Melee player. In Melee I was a very impatient person and I usually paid for it. You have to be patient in Brawl, though, and my Melee Link thanks me for it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Brawl actually made me a better Melee player. In Melee I was a very impatient person and I usually paid for it. You have to be patient in Brawl, though, and my Melee Link thanks me for it.
That's awesome, and a good point.

I'm willing to bet my Melee Bowser would benefit immensely from shieldgrabbing, tilts and some of the mindgames I've learned to use from Brawl...

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I've gotten so much better compared to how I played in 64 and in melee. I didn't get into the tournament scene until late in it's lifetime, and I was so far behind those who had practiced and memorized their combos. I became determined to get better in the next installment so I wouldnt be left in the dust, and I have to say I've been doing great. I've yet to go to a Brawl tourney, as I'm unsure where to find listings (yeah, theres a section for that, but its hard to navigate and find one close to where I am and soon), but I'm definitely an above average player at this point. And it's not just because of my main ;D

So yes, I am.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly what happened for me as well. :p

I was good at Melee and had really really good tech skill. But I had no real competition so whenever I played anybody who was good, I'd get mindgames'd or predicted to death. I think I'm at about the same point with Brawl, but I plan on being MUCH better. Currently I haven't really played many people who are good, so I have no way of telling how good I am. And I don't like online play because of the lag so I don't know. :/

Foshy

Smash Apprentice
Yes. I guess its because i discovered smashboards like a half year before Brawl came out and i didnt know nothing about ATs. Now, i started playing Brawl at the same time like everyone else. The only "AT" i used back then in Melee was Shield Grabbing but me and my friends thought it was common sense. I couldn't Short Hop and use Tilts consistently in Melee too xD

Zodiac

Smash Master
that depends on your playstyle from the other smash games, if were a camper in melee or 64, then you'll probablly do considerably better in brawl, if you were aggresive in melee or 64, then you probablly get punished by the campers.

Im just the same, I suppose im at a small disadvantage because Im one of the players that just wants to be really aggressive and pwn all the time.

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
i am much more better in brawl. Y? because in melee i knew only one other person who played melee. we did not know about wavedashing l canceling or even shield grabbing. to us, beatting 3 lvl 9s teamed up against u was a humungos acomplishment. i did not even know about smashboards until maybe 2 yrs before brawl was released. now i know everything that is being discovered as they are being discovered, unlike in melee. so yeah, i like brawl better (except for the nerfed captain falcon part), and am better at brawl.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Brawl made me a better melee player b/c the reduced hitstun made me realize how awesome melee was for combo'ing. :p lol

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
In Melee I was FAR too concerned with showing off my tech skill (which is very good) to be an exceptionally good player. My mindgaming and techchasing ability has increased exponentially since I've been playing Brawl. However, I do think that I'd be a much better (smarter) Melee player if I ever went back to that game.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I think I was probably a better Melee player. I didnt really know much about ATs in Melee until about a year ago, but once I learned about them I started to use them and I could apply them pretty well after some time. Then again I havent had too much of a chance to fight other players in Brawl, only when I go to a friends house and I only have like one friend who is about on even terms with my skill.

Well all that will change in a few weeks when I start college, then I will have plenty of people to play against and I can become much better.

laird

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely a better Brawl player.
I didn't even own Melee or 64, and its difficult to compete well with people who had been playing the games for 7 and 9 years, respectively.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
offline vs matches will always pwn online matches. just like how good and immense fun i used to have playing melee with some buds. now we play a slideshow on online brawl ftw!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
offline vs matches will always pwn online matches. just like how good and immense fun i used to have playing melee with some buds. now we play a slideshow on online brawl ftw!
Yeah, I think I've had exactly ONE lag-free 4 player match in the entire period I've owned the game, sigh...

Well all that will change in a few weeks when I start college, then I will have plenty of people to play against and I can become much better.
Awesome.

Having a group of real people to play with on a regular basis is what makes this game so much fun. I have a friend in Montréal who has this and he knows how envious I am of him. :(

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
I had uber tech skill in Melee, to the point where I was certain that I could outmatch some higher ranked players in terms of just that.

However, I had crap mindgames. And that's really an understatement; my mindgames absolutely sucked. I had no experience versus any real players, so...

KratosAurion

Smash Rookie
Ironically I became a better Melee player thanks to Brawl as well :p

I wasn't really into the competitive scene till late 2006 or so. I decided to try hard to get better, but i didn't notice that i was giving way too much emphasis on techniques. So, everytime i played against good opponents, i got predicted all the time.

Brawl has forced me to lower the technical aspect, sit back, and think more before acting. Thanks to that I play Melee much better now even though I got worse at using techniques due to the lack of practice.

Adapt

Smash Lord
i think i was pretty good at 64 (never owned melee)
I never went to tourneys or anything though so I'm not sure if I actually was good

I was better at 64 than brawl, because I never played melee much i didn't get used to the spot or air dodges, so I don't use them half as much as I should. I'm so used to not having them

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I was a strictly casual melee/64 player. I started getting competitive in tourneys once i started playing brawl, so im much better at it.

Jon64

Smash Cadet
I'm better at brawl than 64 because 64 came out long before I ever considered playing games competitively.

I'm better at brawl than melee because brawl is easier than melee.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I can honestly say is that When I played Melee back in '06, I was WAY better than I was in brawl even though everyone was still better than me.

But then again, I can probably be one of the best Brawlers and still suck at Melee even when I know all the tools of the trade.

But in my Book, I played better in Melee.

MK_own

Smash Cadet
My game has improved far from what it was in melee.
I think because in melee i was kind of a noob and didnt try to learn new things.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
that depends on your playstyle from the other smash games, if were a camper in melee or 64, then you'll probablly do considerably better in brawl, if you were aggresive in melee or 64, then you probablly get punished by the campers.

Im just the same, I suppose im at a small disadvantage because Im one of the players that just wants to be really aggressive and pwn all the time.
lol thats like me. my skill hasn't really changed at all just me defense and camping skill has gone up. since in brawl i can't just run in and own everyone with combo's :( now i actually lose to some of the people i play with more often than in melee.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I think so. Last time I played Brawl I had to think more because, without wavedashing, I had to work with the clumsier rolls and walking, which made me play more cautiously. When I played Melee again after that, I realized that I`m way too reckless in Melee and I get punished lots for it. Now I`m working on being fast, but precise.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I was way better at 64 than in Melee or Brawl. I was 0-to-deathing people way before I knew there was a competitive environment and stuff.

Now, however, I just plain suck at 64. *sigh*

64 should be the standard ****it.

Foxy

Smash Master
playing online against competitive opponents I would've never faced IRL has likewise boosted my skills immensely.
No. Online play is really, really bad for helping you improve.

is learning to play with lag crippling your offline matches?
Yes. Lag trains your brain to think slower, and therefore not only is there a shallower skill cap for online play, but it actually hurts your ability to play in a faster-paced and more precise offline setting.

Just watch matches online between top-ranked ladder players and offline tourney matches between pros. There is absolutely no comparison. And while offline pros can do well online, top-ranked online players almost never place in offline tourneys.

Just wanted to throw that out there. If you want to get good, even with a shallow game like Brawl, do NOT PLAY ONLINE.

Blizz

Smash Rookie
I'm 'better' in Brawl in the sense that I beat others more often. Skill-wise, I would say I was better in Melee. I'd say it feels more like everyone has gotten worse since we converted to Brawl rather than that I've gotten better.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm definitely better at Brawl, the floatiness actually kind of suits me better. 64 was floaty too, but i only rented it multiple times, never bought it. So Brawl is my strength.

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
im much worse actually... untill the competition develops anyway

if they didnt completely change falco i might be same level as i was... but he's just too different

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No. Online play is really, really bad for helping you improve.

I disagree because it allows you to fight a wide variety of players in a relatively short amount of time. Because of Brawl's online, I actually have competition for the first time in almost 4 years and I have grown tremendously because of it.

Yes. Lag trains your brain to think slower, and therefore not only is there a shallower skill cap for online play, but it actually hurts your ability to play in a faster-paced and more precise offline setting.

That's the thing though, you talk as if there's a continously lapse of lag for everyone and that's definately not the case. In the majority of matches that I'm in, I can still powershield and use boost smashes. It all has to do with your internet connection.

Just watch matches online between top-ranked ladder players and offline tourney matches between pros. There is absolutely no comparison. And while offline pros can do well online, top-ranked online players almost never place in offline tourneys.

Just wanted to throw that out there. If you want to get good, even with a shallow game like Brawl, do NOT PLAY ONLINE.
Which is terrible advice if you're someone like me who 1. almost never has tournaments near he lives and 2. who's friends lost interest in the game long ago so competition is almost non-existant.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
This is a good question.

In Melee, I was good, but I lacked some of the key elements of the game that I have come to learn in Brawl. I almost never sidestepped to dodge, and my short-hopping wasn't that great. In Brawl, I am now very good at things like that. I am a lot better in Brawl than I was in Melee.

Top Bottom