• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there definitive "Best Characters" and "Worst Characters" yet?

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Top Tier:

1) DeDeDe
2) Pit
3) Toon Link

I see Marth, Ike Diddy and Zelda being at least High Tier too.

DeDeDe is ****ing insane. Waddle Dees/ Doos and Gorodos act as projectile sheilds. He has a **** ton of air priority and range. And the hammer....Oh God that hammer......And lets not forget that chain grab too. Pit is just cheap and takes no skill. He can combo out of EVERYTHING. I hate him so much. Toon Link (my main), in the right hands, can DESTROY you. You have to know when to slow down and float and when to be quick and short hop. His hyphen smash is ridiculous, making the use of his up tilt unnecessary. The little guy has a lot of killing moves, yet its REALLY hard kill him.

Marth is still good, but with some added lag and decreased power and priority with some of his more useful moves. Ike (Toon Link killer on Battle Field) is not as slow as you think. Don't let that slow run and wind up fool you. He is much faster and more mobile than you think. Plus, his range and priority is plain stupid.

Zelda? Its been said a million times, but she is actually a character now :lol:. All of her smashes are good and that Din's Fire is a beast. Diddy is fast, strong and has a lot of ground prioty and those banana peels are quite obnoxious.

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyone has defended Donkey Kong's placement for "worst character," although a few have defended Yoshi's.

Donkey Kong it is, then.

Bodknocks

Smash Rookie
NNID
austonwithano
Have you guys even played as Donkey Kong yet? DK is great, he's quite possibly the most improved character from melee. He got stronger, faster, and huge range boosts. He's not near the top IMO, but he is at least in the middle of the pack.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
From my experience, I find Dedede too much like a Melee Bowser, and Yoshi isn't great either sadly. If someone can somehow utilize Dedede to a great extent and get past his slow speed, then he could, maybe, become promising.

As for best, I'm going to go with Fox.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Well you don't know what you're talking about. Yoshi has an excellent set of aerials(especially his b-air and u-air) and tilts, his eggs are a really solid projectile as always, and without DJC his edgeguarding game is incredible. Nobody's calling him a contender for top tier but to claim that he's obviously the worst character in the game is just ignorant. Don't bash a character you don't play.
I know all about his solid aerials, hence why I used the term "relatively". And I said bottom tier not "the worst", it's too early to call that.

No character is useless, but I think Yoshi has nothing special in his moveset that a ton of other characters don't have plus more. He's just outshined by everybody else, no offense meant to Yoshi mainers...I give props for those able to use him effectively...

Still the best in Home-run Contest though... ;D

S0X

Smash Cadet
Wolf is my favorite and Toon link is great too I think ness is teh worst

PD-JD

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure who I think the best and worst characters are, but I know (at least one on one) the best characters are NOT Pit and MK.

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
There are no best and worst characters, just bad characters and good ones.

Bad:
Yoshi, oh look a character who is aerial based without an up B, amazing concept, use Marth or Toon Link. Yoshi isn't really bad but when you look at all of the characters who do the exact same thing but better you'll see he really got a bum deal. Toon Link really just totally made Yoshi obsolete as an aerial/projectile character.

Link, Basically Toon Link but heavier and without good aerials aside from up and down, fail.

Jigglypuff, look at all of the light damage dealers with amazing recovery that just got added to the game and sing/rest was nerfed, like Yoshi she's just obsolete now.

Pretty much all other characters are probably going to be at least somewhat workable in higher level play, though eventually I think we'll start seeing trends in the favorite clone of the club being picked more (like Lucas > Ness, Wolf > Fox, ect). But top is getting pretty clear, Pit is almost definitely top tier with the other light damage dealers such as metaknight and Diddy taking high spots in high tier. Toon Link may also go top because now he's basically got Marth's side and neutral air attacks with Link's up and down attacks along with a large array of projectiles and a crazy second jump, he takes the cake for best air based character imo. Dedede is the best heavy and will probably end up in high tier , I think Snake will end up there too due to unparalelled ledgeguards.

Suprisingly, I don't think Ike is going to be anywhere near top tier, his attacks just come out way too slow for him to be a good character, maybe high tier but as far as I'm concerned Marth is still better.

blackninjaforevr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beefsloth
3DS FC
2681-2164-1047
why is everyone saying falco is so good? His down spike is harder to sweet spot, his reflector sucks now and his laser is limited without the old good short hopping. Flame away or give me good reasons why I am wrong, but every falco I've faced so far was an easy match for me.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Link, Basically Toon Link but heavier and without good aerials aside from up and down, fail.
Saying Toon Link is Top Tier but Link is bad is total BS. Link is better in every way except for aerials. Just that alone does not make TL so many leagues better than Link...

ROB really is under rated and currently stands as my main
Agreed, I see a lot of potential in him and he's probably the most underused and unexplored character of all...

why is everyone saying falco is so good? His down spike is harder to sweet spot, his reflector sucks now and his laser is limited without the old good short hopping. Flame away or give me good reasons why I am wrong, but every falco I've faced so far was an easy match for me.
I agree I think he's totally outshined (pun not intended) by Fox and Wolf...

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
ROB really is under rated and currently stands as my main
He was actually the first character I was surprised by when watching Brawl videos before the game was released in America.

I have no reason to believe he isn't top tier, but I hear so little talk about him.

Anyone know some distinct weaknesses that put him down?

I completely agree. The nerfing of his reflector makes him vastly inferior to the other spacies.

Top Bottom