• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there definitive "Best Characters" and "Worst Characters" yet?

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
I'm not so much interested in the characters in the middle, but the characters on each end of the spectrum, and strictly from a competitive point of view.

Or will I have to wait for some tournaments to roll out before it's possible to say?

Maybe just based on your online experiences?

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
I believe Yoshi is the worst, or at least generally accepted that way.
In my general opinion, however, the best characters are Diddy Kong, Lucas, Marth, MetaKnight, Pokemon Trainer, King Dedede, Toon Link, Sonic, and Ike. However, I still believe that with the right amount of practice, any character can be made legendary if used properly :p

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Best? Based on play with my friends, the spacies.

Worst? Link so far. Again, based just on play with my friends.

Frames

DI
There are no definitive best or worst yet, based on people's impressions, certain characters may be considered good or bad, but we'll have to wait for some concrete tournament results in order to get an answer that the community generally accepts overall.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Well, best HEAVYWEIGHT = Dedede to me.

Forgot to add Wolf to my list. He's epic, so is Falco.

I realized I listed so many epic players, made me realize they really DID even out everyone in Brawl >_> at least in my opinion

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
In my experience Pit is the best. I haven't played many games but my friend was absolutely unstoppable with Pit.

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the responses, guys.

On a more specific note, where do you all think Snake falls into this?

My roommate is convinced he's terrible.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is incredible. People say they had trouble adjusting to him, but I didn't have any trouble at all. So fast.

ROB is fast and powerful with a great recovery and an incredible down-smash. One of the best in the game.

Lucario is one of the few characters left that can combo really smoothly. He also has lethal attacks provided he's high enough percentage.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
i think the worst are still generally the same from melee (good ol bowser, dk)
the best? it's a toss up. fox and marth still look like they're gonna be up there. but i've noticed olimar has been getting a lot of attention and is getting a reputation for being cheap (or really good) from what i've read and heard from friends, plus i've been pwning with him. w00t

Squadallah

Smash Rookie
This is total nonsense. There are no "best" and "worst" ones. You can become a great player with ANY character if you put your mind into it. Unfortunately, most people don't and just rely on hearsay, so then these baseless comments are now considered facts, which tarnishes the reputation of certain characters.

Zek

Smash Ace
No, there are no definitive bests or worsts. There aren't even any credible leads. Don't listen to anybody that made suggestions up until now. It's too early to have any idea how the gameplay is going to develop. Most of the people spouting off bottom tiers are just listing the characters they don't like to play.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
From what I get so far, and I might be COMPLETELY wrong about this in the end, these are the "bests" and "worsts".

Best: Pit, Wolf, DeDeDe, Metaknight, Sonic, R.O.B.
Worst: Link, possibly Yoshi.

The game is too early too judge and fairly balanced.

I am, however, very convined Pit is broken, or borderline so. Aside from that, Link sucks really bad, and that's all I can think of.

TheBigBadCow

Smash Cadet
I really don't think there will be anything definitive for a while. Most of us are still trying to master our current favorites.... I certainly don't have time to check out every character and examine his/her/it's potential.

but as for the topic, I think Marth, Pit, Toon Link, and Ike (Ike only really applies to 4-player matches, though) are the best at this point.

For the wost... I really don't know because I don't play as characters I don't like.

On the whole, its really hard to say because Brawl is a lot more balanced than Melee could ever hope to be.

mith

Smash Rookie
Play characters you enjoy playing and get good with them.

Hope that the Rock/Paper/Scissors aspect of the game has been diluted.

Have fun.

I main Lucas, with Kirby as my secondary. They are fun as @#$%

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
To me so far, Brawl seems more of a rock-paper-scissors type thing atm, though after some tourneys I'm sure that'll settle down.

Jun.

Smash Lord
i love how some characters in this thread are mentioned in both the best and the worst list

captain falcon seems to be pretty **** bad though. Or maybe its just because he's so bad compared to what he was in melee.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Best: Probably Marth

Worst: Generally accepted it's Yoshi. He's not as bad as I've heard though.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
R.O.B. is nasty. I'm surprised I haven't seen him on many high-tier lists. He's just...so good...I can't even believe how good he is.

Eaode

Smash Champion
ROB is just so beast.

Metaknight... Is just the new sheik. He'll probably be considered really great for a while, and then put down a little when we find other characters' potential.

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
snake, r.o.b and poke trainer are really good, so is wario my bro makes his link so annoying that it's beastly

worst:....yoshi comes to mind, ness is not so hot either when lucas is so much better, other than that might be too early to tell but a lot of characters have potential so with more practice we'll see

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Thanks again for the input.

It'll be interesting to see how the climate shifts when there is some hard evidence out there.

Sad to hear that Link kind of sucks the balls, though.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Sonic is easily among the worst characters in the game. He's the first character in the history of Smash who has 0 good moves.

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
Best: Marth, Wolf

Worst: Dedede
I hate you :(. DDD is a **** beast ifyou dont spam Fsmash

Edit: My impressions of
best are : Marth (again :ohwell:), space animals, toon link, and diddy, Pit isnt great hes just easy to start off with.

Worst: As much as I love the ICs, they arent that great this time and DK isnt to great either

jamai

Smash Cadet
Just my opinion since I started playing a month ago. This is also based off of gathering other player's opinions and tourney results (it could still be totally off, although I doubt it)

Best : Marth, Pit, Metaknight, Spacies
Worst : Sonic, Snake, Bowser, Ike, Yoshi

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
This is total nonsense. There are no "best" and "worst" ones. You can become a great player with ANY character if you put your mind into it. Unfortunately, most people don't and just rely on hearsay, so then these baseless comments are now considered facts, which tarnishes the reputation of certain characters.

Agree

10ice cofee's

PhoenixWiight

Smash Cadet
i disagree with all of you people becau se all of your list contradicts anothers.

IMO, there are VERY few best characters, but there are characters that are easier to use until you get used to them. olimar and dedede are very hard to use at first, but i OWN on wifi with them now. also IMO link is a lot better, DK is fairly the same as he was in melee. still, not bad enough to be considered a worst character.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Ganondorf is ridiculously bad. He is slow on the ground and in the air, his aerials are laggy and slow, and worst of all, he's one of the easiest characters to combo. If there's any worst character, G-gah is it.

The jury's still out on Yoshi, for me. He's not slow, and his aerials are fairly fast and relatively low on landing lag, not to mention he has a few potential combos up his sleeve. He's also relatively floaty, and has a decent sex kick with which to ward off combos. He has a projectile, and Egg Roll is now a pretty **** good approach move. I really don't know where people are getting the notion that he's the worst.

PhoenixWiight

Smash Cadet
ganondorf, bad? your crazy, hes so good now. slow, like dedede, but has a huge amount of power. i kill so easily with him.

MauriiDS

Smash Rookie
My impressions (1vs1), own experience:

BEST (They stand out for certain moves or abilities that make them win very often):
Olimar, Marth, Metaknight, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Peach, Zelda, Lucas, R.O.B, Ike, Pikachu

MIDDLE:
Samus, Dedede, Bowser, Ness, Snake, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, C. Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Wolf, Fox, Falco, Ice Climbers, Luigi, Mario, Link, Kirby, Pokemon Trainer, Pit, Lucario, Mr. Game & Watch

WORST (Not really, but at least for now, I didn´t see any good player with them, or nobody plays with them at all, I wonder why):
Wario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Sonic

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
I just posted an average of everyone's ratings of the characters in the "Your character ratings" thread. So far Marth and Pit appear to be on top, while 'Dorf and IC's are on bottom.

linksawakening

Smash Rookie
I don't think any of you have tried the new Game and watch yet, he is much better...
by far the easiest char to pick up. (i've been plaing for a month now)

YSM

Smash Apprentice
I don't really understand the hate for Yoshi. His bair has been greatly buffed, his uair also buffed(to a lesser extent), and his fair hits quicker. He can also recover horizontally(not WELL, mind you) with UpB now, and he actually has some staying power. I often survive with over 150 damage, sometimes in the low 200s. I'm not saying he's good, but he's better than he was in Melee, and far from being the worst.

Top Bottom