• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there any veterans you were thrilled or unhappy to see return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Let's talk about veterans.

I see a lot of threads discussing newcomers, boasting expressions of joy or disgust. Now, let's talk about our old friends (or foes). Are there any Brawl veterans whose return was considered uncertain, but arrived nonetheless to your delight?

How about veterans who you did not want back at all. Veterans whose presence disgust you. Perhaps there's an extremely boring veteran from a franchise with hundreds of better potential candidates. I will refrain from naming names for now, but there are a couple veterans whose return disappointed me dearly.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Let's talk about veterans.

I see a lot of threads discussing newcomers, boasting expressions of joy or disgust. Now, let's talk about our old friends (or foes). Are there any Brawl veterans whose return was considered uncertain, but arrived nonetheless to your delight?

How about veterans who you did not want back at all. Veterans whose presence disgust you. Perhaps there's an extremely boring veteran from a franchise with hundreds of better potential candidates. I will refrain from naming names for now, but there are a couple veterans whose return disappointed me dearly.
I'm happy that Ike is back :4myfriends:

I'm disgusted that Toon Link is back. I don't mind Toon Link as a character but he seems like a lazy clone that they could've gave a unique moveset too.:4tlink:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ike is my man, so happy to see him back as I was really concerned for him. Solo Charizard is also really cool.

There aren't really any veterans I'm unhappy to see, I think every character on the Brawl roster has a reason to be in, so I'd like to see as many return as possible.

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
I'm never upset to see a veteran return! I think they all bring something special to the game, clone or not.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm also most upset to see Toon Link, merely because they left him a clone despite giving him a host of new moves in his games since Brawl that would suit him perfectly.

I can, at least, hope that he gets awesome move customization. In fact, the idea of how the move customization would work is making me want to see many more clones in, like Dr. Mario (my original most hated clone). How would his pill customization vary from Mario's fireballs?

I'm very hyped for Ike and Lucario. Ike was incredibly easy to use, and from my favorite Nintendo franchise, and Lucario was just a blast to play (though no replacement for Mewtwo).

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Honestly, seeing a veteran regardless of being a clone is always good. Even if they are it bulks up the roster quite a bit, and I'd have already came to terms with their existence in the previous game if I didn't like them then (or they're cut). As for characters I'm glad to see returning, King Dedede is one of my mains and Wario is practically confirmed at this point and was also a main, so that's nice to see.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I'm not "upset" by any veteran's return, but I was surprised (in a less joyful and more neutral sort of way) to see: :ike:, :lucario:and :charizard: come back. I believed Lucario would get axed in favor of a new bipedal gen 6 Pokemon, but instead he's in along with one. I believed Pokemon Trainer would actually come back, but with a different combination of three starters. I believed Ike would likely get replaced by Chrom, or maybe Lucina - and that blew up on me totally, but I was much more glad to see these new FE newcomers. I actually expected TL to come back, just because he's got his very own sub-series within the Zeldaverse and I think he was a pretty iconic character for Brawl, oddly enough. Do I wish he wasn't a clone? Yeah. Do I wish Lucina wasn't a clone? Yeah. But I still think they're fine, since I like them both more than their respective "original." :laugh:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I was happy to see :4charizard::4myfriends::4lucario:and :4tlink: back despite the latter three being possibly axed. I knew those three were barely gonna get the axe to begin with due to bull**** reasons.

I'm not disappointed to see any of them return. After all, I'm not a fan of cuts and I would welcome everyone back. I am disappointed to not see Squirtle and Ivysaur return however

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Happy:
:4sonic:: I knew he was returning, but what got me excited is that he looks so much better than the middle-mouthed monstruosity that he was in Brawl.
:4zss:: Just happy to see her again. And now she has a better recovery!
:4falcon:: When is it NOT a happy day when Captain Falcon's involved?
:4samus: I know she's always a given, but it doesn't hurt to express my joy of seeing her again.

Unhappy:
:4lucario:: Just.. why? I wasn't aware this guy was still popular.
:4tlink:: Not particularly a fan. But I'm not AS unhappy this time as I was in Brawl.
:4charizard:: For daring to show his face without:squirtle::ivysaur::pt: This is by far my least favorite reveal of all. Would have rather having him axed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sheik.
I wanted her to be Impa.

I'm still hoping this will be corrected in the next game, and that this one was just a transition, as it was the separation of her character from Zelda.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I REALLY like lucario in this game. Liked him in the last one, like him more in this one.

Although, it was obvious he'd be back from his involvement in X&Y.

D

Deleted member

Happy:
:4falcon:: Do I really need to explain this one?
:4dedede:: One of my favorites, really fun to play as and hilarious.
:4myfriends:: Again, also fun to use.
:4charizard:: Not as fun as the other three, but it's kind of nice to see him return.
:4sonic:: Same reason as charizard.

Wouldn't care if they didn't come back:
:4diddy:: Eh, not really a fan of his playstyle.(But he does deserve to return.)
:4zss:: Having an inferior version of samus(Canon wise.) is a bit weird.
:4lucario:: I would prefer Mewtwo over lucario any day of the week.
:4tlink:: Not a fan of clones.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Overjoyed:
:4yoshi: Mostly due to it being horribly overdue. Only member of the 64 starter roster to NOT be in the initial trailer. Replaced by :4pit:. Fuelling my dislike of Uprising yet further.

:4myfriends:"He's cut because Roy didn't make it back into Brawl". So glad to see he's back if only to shut people up.

:4luigi::4bowser::4falcon::4dedede::4diddy: :4zelda:Just a fan of these guys. None were in danger of being cut, but it's nice to see them anyway.

When :warioc:, :ganondorf:, :wolf:,:gw: and :ness2: reappear I shall be dancing for joy too.

Ho Hum:
:4marth:The least exciting character on the roster for me returns in all his blandness. Obviously was never being cut, but can't say I'll ever be a fan of Marths.

:4peach: Whilst I actually do like playing as Peach, and even like the character, the fact she keeps **** blocking my most wanted newcomer is beginning to be ever so slightly annoying.

:4sheik: Always felt Sheik was a bit too one off for Smash to be a stand alone character. I still feel this way.

:4tlink: At first was overjoyed, then discovered they hadn't changed his moveset up much...in fact they made him a BIGGER clone. Doh.

When :falco:,:jigglypuff:,:lucas: and maybe :metaknight: return I'll probably be 'eh'.

Last edited:

Bumbalobob

Smash Cadet
Happy
:4zss:: I am happy a lot of veterans returned but ZSS is the only one I was concerned would actually be cut, she was one of my mains and I am happy with her updates.

On a side note I will be ecstatic with the return of :jigglypuff::wario::gw::popo::rob:, it is hard to have some of favorites yet to be announced.

Unhappy:
:4sonic:: I am not a huge fan of Sonic's moveset, however, with the inclusion of Pacman and Megaman I am glad he is there so we can have the big four.
:4tlink::TL just always seemed like a lazy character to me, there is so much potential for originality that has yet to be tapped
:4myfriends::Now that Robin is in I am more okay with his inclusion. When he was first announced I thought we were going to get three blue haired swordsmen. Still would have preferred him dropped for Anna or Tiki.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm happy to see anyone return. Cuts only serve to upset the people who invested time into learning a character, especially if they had a unique moveset.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Speak for yourself, Kermit. I absolutely hate IC and want them gone for good. And anyone too small to even read their movements when the camera's zoomed out, like Olimar. And anyone with a terrible recovery, like Olimar. And anyone with poorly-functioning gimmicks, like Olimar. **** Olimar. But IC are still even worse to me. Pls be dead in the next smash, IC... pls include a spooky graveyard stage in smash4 with two small tombstones that read "RIP IC"... oh pls oh pls...

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Be careful with the "unhappy to return" parts. I don't want this thread to turn into a bunch of flame wars.
As for me:
Happy::4bowser::4falcon::4dedede::4dk::4fox::4kirby::4myfriends::4link::4lucario::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4olimar::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4samus::4sheik::4tlink::4sonic::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss:

Ok with: :4diddy::4charizard:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speak for yourself, Kermit. I absolutely hate IC and want them gone for good. And anyone too small to even read their movements when the camera's zoomed out, like Olimar. And anyone with a terrible recovery, like Olimar. And anyone with poorly-functioning gimmicks, like Olimar. **** Olimar. But IC are still in even worse to me. Pls be dead in the next smash, IC... pls include a spooky graveyard stage in smash4 with two small tombstones that read "RIP IC"... oh pls oh pls...
That was unnecessary.

For the sake of keeping this thread away from flames, I'll have to ask everyone to NOT reply to others' posts, or at least do it in a more civil manner.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I was head over heels for :4falcon: and I was super glad :4olimar: came back because he wasn't the protagonist of Pikmin 3, but he's seriously one of my favorite nintendo characters.

:4marth: shouldn't have been a surprise but I was happy about too. :4myfriends: took me by surprise and made me pretty happy. :4lucario: is another one I love that I'm super glad is back even though I thought he was getting the boot.

and the ones I didn't want that were coming back were coming back regardless of how I felt about them, so it wasn't a big deal. I don't mind most of the veterans.

Last edited:

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
The only veteran who really got me excited was Ike, considering that he was my main in Brawl and I was on the fence about whether or not he would be in the game. The fact that he was updated to his Radiant Dawn design made me even happier.

Captain Falcon also falls in this category, but he was kind of overshadowed by Robin and Lucina for me, but I loved his reveal nonetheless.

And I guess Charizard too, if only for the fight against Mario in the video.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Seeing Lucario and Toon Link return really disappointed me.

Toon Link because he was the first clone to return, I think, and Lucario because I never liked him to begin with, and initially I thought this confirmed Mewtwo wouldn't be returning.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well I don't know... I was not angry for any veteran, but I don't have any feelings when these where revealed:
:4dedede::4diddy::4sonic::4charizard:

The ones I was REALLY HAPPY to see:
:4lucario::4sheik::4tlink::4myfriends:
I was in fear for them...

The others... I already like... but those two I love: :4olimar::4zelda:

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Happy

:4myfriends:: The most exciting reveal for me, and now he represents my favorite Fire Emblem game.

Unhappy

:4sonic:: Not a fan of Sonic, I prefer Snake as the returning guest.
:popo:: I know they're gonna be in again, I don't like the characters, the gimmick, the original game and still think they are not iconic as Nintendo characters.

As for others revelead veterans I was not worry for any of them. I look forward for :metaknight: (nerf?), :gw: (G&W in the Pac trailer has weird body proportions), :rob: (want to see some changes) and :wolf: (mostly because I like him).

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I reckon I will be unhappy if Jigglypuff returns. I think the 12 original is a lame excuse to keep a Pokemon that is not that popular anymore and that had a really useless moveset that only prevailed because one broken move... wait I minute, this isn't the Unpopular Opinions thread!
Meh, in the end, if everyone is back I couldn't care less. I never thought a returning character was a a waste of develop time for other characters anyway. After all, that is why Jiggs keeps coming back, she is already there.

I did squeal a bit when Sonic's return was announced, that was before we knew we were getting a plethora of 3rd parties.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Happy with:
:4myfriends: Yay! One of my mains returns from Brawl and even punched Chrom fans in the face while doing so.
:4robinf: Robin was my favored newcomer from the series so was excited when they showed up. Their reveal just kicked Gematsu in the groin rather than Chrom Fans which was amazing. (That's why you don't believe in rumors kids (; )
:rosalina: Mario Galaxy finally gets representation. I never doubted her nor did I believe she wouldn't be in. Her announcement was just purely expected.

Unhappy with:
:4tlink: Why bother adding him if he's still young link with a new skin? He has the potential to truly stand out but still leaves the sour taste in my mouth. Would have gladly axed him in favor of others if cutting people was necessary.

:4lucario:He's nothing but a Mewtwo swap to me. He's decent but rather swap him out for somebody else who would fulfill the spot better and be truly unique. With 700+ pokemon, that's really not hard to do.

:4marth: :4lucina: Seriously, we didn't need them both. Since height pays no factor in this game in comparison to their franchise, these two could of has the same hit boxes and same tip usage. I like Marth and love Lucina, but this really was just asinine.

Waiting for:
:jigglypuff::popo::wolf::rob::gw::ness2:
These guys are all still on my hopeful list. I don't want any of them cut and would cry tears of sweet bliss if they get announced.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm happy with:
:rosalina:: She is my all time favorite Mario character ever. I was super excited when Rosalina was confirmed!
:4megaman:: I honestly prefer him over Sonic, even though I've never played a Mega Man game before.
:4myfriends:: I had my doubts about him until his reveal confirmation. Excited to play as Ike again considering that I recently just started using him in Brawl.
:4lucina:: One of my most wanted newcomers confirmed at last. It was either gonna be her or Chrom but it wouldn't matter to me either way. Lucina is one of my 5 favorite female characters from Awakening (the other 4 are Tharja, Cordelia, Panne and Cynthia).

Not very thrilled to see:
:4greninja:: I've never payed much attention to the Pokémon franchise since Generation 3. I mean Greninja looks cool and all but not that all excited as everyone else.
:4mii:: I never expected Miis to be playable in a Smash Bros. game. They're just a big fat "meh..." to me.
:4sonic:: I definitely would've prefer they bring Solid Snake back instead of this overrated hedgehog who has the worst fanbase in gaming history.
:4tlink:: Don't get me started with him. I mean I absolutely loved playing The Wind Waker HD but having Toon Link in a Smash Bros. game again is a resounding hell no.

The rest of the characters are alright so far. Can't wait to see the full roster when the games come out.

Morbi

Scavenger
:4dedede:: I was unhappy to see Dedede's return because everyone was pretending as though he was always their favorite character and/or main for the first day. After that, discussion abruptly halted because they were bored and none of it was truth.

:4link:: I was disgusted by his face, it is not designed properly.

:4sonic:: I wanted to see a different third-party character take his place. Namely Mega Man. I say this as a former Sonic fan and a Mega Man hater.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
ROB just sends me off the deep end, he hasn't been confirmed but his existence just bothers me.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I pretty much flipped out when they revealed Ike. Was worried about him.. Roy was my favorite in Melee and he didn't make it into Brawl.

TheKingOfTown

Smash Apprentice
I'll be sad if anyone gets cut. But I will be particularly happy when Jigglypuff and R.O.B. get revealed because I love them and I wanna shut up their doubters. :)
I'd also love it if Snake returned but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Thus far, none of the confirmed veterans' reveals have surprised me in the least--except for Charizard, whom I was slightly surprised at seeing (but not angry). If one of the Trainer Trio from Brawl returned as a standalone character, I always thought Charizard would be the best choice, since he is the most iconic of the three.

Right now, I am just worried about Lucas. He was mine favourite character in Brawl, next to Zelda. Although, in terms of moveset, I think merging Ness and Lucas would do wonders for them. What I mean by that is not to make them into a transformation-based character, but rather to cut one of them and give the other some of his moves, and make the cut character an alternate costume for the other. For instance, they could give Ness the Rope Snake, which could be increased in length and made into a more reliable tether recovery. They could also give Ness PK Freeze, which I found to be much more reliable than PK Flash, largely due to it being faster.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Overjoyed:
:4yoshi: Mostly due to it being horribly overdue. Only member of the 64 starter roster to NOT be in the initial trailer. Replaced by :4pit:. Fuelling my dislike of Uprising yet further.

:4myfriends:"He's cut because Roy didn't make it back into Brawl". So glad to see he's back if only to shut people up.

:4luigi::4bowser::4falcon::4dedede::4diddy: :4zelda:Just a fan of these guys. None were in danger of being cut, but it's nice to see them anyway.

When :warioc:, :ganondorf:, :wolf:,:gw: and :ness2: reappear I shall be dancing for joy too.

Ho Hum:
:4marth:The least exciting character on the roster for me returns in all his blandness. Obviously was never being cut, but can't say I'll ever be a fan of Marths.

:4peach: Whilst I actually do like playing as Peach, and even like the character, the fact she keeps **** blocking my most wanted newcomer is beginning to be ever so slightly annoying.

:4sheik: Always felt Sheik was a bit too one off for Smash to be a stand alone character. I still feel this way.

:4tlink: At first was overjoyed, then discovered they hadn't changed his moveset up much...in fact they made him a BIGGER clone. Doh.

When :falco:,:jigglypuff:,:lucas: and maybe :metaknight: return I'll probably be 'eh'.
You, sir, will speak for me from now on. I will no longer type any of my thoughts, I will just write @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad and you will write out my opinions, because they seem to fall right in place (which I think I knew from the roster evolution game anyway).

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I was relieved at Sonic and Ike returning, not to mention Lucario, one of mah' favorite Pokemon! Also, Toon Link, because Wind Waker > Ocarina Of Time (The truth hurts, I know...).
Also, being unhappy about someone's favorite character returning would require me to be an absolute moron, so no, I don't mind anyone returning, even though I don't particularily care about Lucas or Wolf, I won't go OMG THEY TOOK A ROSTER SPOT FROM RIDLEY when they're revealed :I

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I thought it was funny and great when they revealed Toon Link and Ike. Toon Link had already been thought to be "deconfirmed", but Sakurai overturned that in the most hilarious of ways. Toon Link really shouldn't have been seen as on the cutting block to begin with... Representing a prominent line of the games in the Zelda series. The fact that he still doesn't have an unique moveset is grating, though.

Ike, well... His design is just so hot. I stupidly thought he had a chance of being cut. I'm glad I was wrong.

As for one I wasn't happy about? Lucario. I'm fine now, but back then I was still mad about Lucario 'replacing' Mewtwo in Brawl, and I was almost certain that Mewtwo would be rightfully added back, but when I saw Lucario's reveal I wasn't anymore.

Still, I don't really care for Lucario. To me it's just a random Pokemon you acquire in a side-quest in D/P/Pt. However, there is no denying a greater justification for Lucario's addition in SSB4, but I just hope that Mewtwo joins too.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Im happy to have: :4lucario::4tlink: & :4sonic:. All i Need is Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, Ganondorf, Falco & R.O.B to return.

There is only 1 character im 100% unhappy to see return: :4peach:

I despise Peach. Shes easily my most hated character of all time!
And shes also one of my most hated characters to fight in brawl (followed by Zelda, but Zelda i like at least)

The very first Thing im gonna do when i get my hands on the 3DS Version is to kick her royal ass with :4lucina:.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Most happy:

:4marth:I knew he was never going to be cut, but he is my main...so...
:4myfriends:I cried happy tears of joy when I saw him on the website.
:4robinm::4robinf:My most wanted Fire Emblem: Awakening newcomer.
:4lucina:I don't even care if she's a clone. I love her character.
:4sheik:First character I mained.
:4zss:I thought she wasn't going to be returning...
:4villager:As a massive fan of Animal Crossing, I was overjoyed.

Could care less:

:4megaman:I had no idea who he was.
:4pacman:I just don't like him.
:4sonic:I like Sonic, I just think he's overrated.
:4mii:I consider them unnecessary.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As far as older characters go, I'm real happy to still see Ike and Charizard. Since either of them could have been swapped for a newer character. Though I don't know how likely that would be.

Aside from the two of them, I'm not sure. Everyone else seems like an obvious choice to return to the series. But it is cool to see updated versions of characters like Mario, Luigi, Fox, Samus, Zelda and so on.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I was unhappy with Charizrd at first for getting rid of Ivy and Squirtle, but I'm over it; I am unhappy that he still has that stupid Rock Smash move though.

I would be unhappy to see Snake return because I don't think he belongs in Smash.

I'm on the fence about Sheik returning aswell, I think her moveset could have been translated to someone else just fine, but other times I'm thankful the character's back.

I would be dissapointed if Falco was back over Wolf; wolf is more unique, and we need villains, but if both are in no grudges are held.

Obviously I'd be ecstatic to see Mewtwo back, but he wasn't in Brawl so he's an honorary newcomer.

I will be very happy to see R.O.B and Ice Climbers back, the former to shut up his detractors, the latter because of technical difficulties.

I'd also be really happy about Ganondorf coming back providing he has a replaced moveset.

Jigglypuff too providing she doesn't get in the way of Mewtwo... Imo it'd be better to see Sceptile replace her (and I'd be ecstatic to see all three), but I'd still be happy to see her back alongside our favorite Mew Clone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom