• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are overlooked (but unique) Nintendo characters really important?

parrothead

Smash Lord
In my opinion, they are necessary, because they've been sitting in the dark for a long period of time. I know most of you want Petey Piranha, Sonic the Hedgehog, Krystal (Star Fox Adventures), Shadow the Hedgehog, Sasuke (Naruto series), Crono (Chrono Trigger), Fire Emblem 7 characters, any Mega Man, Zero, Darth Vader (Star Wars), Picard (Star Trek), Ryu (Street Fighter franchise), Final Fantasy characters, and other overrated characters, but the overlooked characters are fading out, and most of them should be in the next Super Smash Bros. Here is a list of overlooked characters (both Japanese and non-Japanese):

Stafy (Legend of Stafy franchise)
DeMille (Demiru in Japan) (Tomato Adventure) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Michael Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge)(not to be confused with the rapper)
Michael Anderson piloting his ST Falcon (Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge)
Takamaru (Murasame Castle of Mystery) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Hakkun (Sutte Hakkun)
Tin Star (Tin Star)
Sablé and Richard (perhaps a tag-team) (Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (translated as "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"))
Leaf (Fire Emblem 5: Thracia 776)
Lolo & Lala (Eggerland Series)
Rick Wheeler/Ryu Suzaku (F-ZERO: GP Legend and F-ZERO Climax)
Jill (Drill Dozer) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Skapon (Joy Mech Fight) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Ninten (MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound)(also known as Ken in the novel based on the RPG) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Muddy the Mole (Mole Mania) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Lip (Panel de Pon) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Harry (Teleroboxer) *MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Fighter Hayabusa (Pro Wrestling)
Alice (Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB (Japan-Only))
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Any Wild Gunman (Wild Gunman)
Sheriff (Sheriff arcade)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
Tin Star (Tin Star)
Kururin (Kururin series)
Anyone from Stunt Race FX
Any of the Ray's from the Custom Robo series, other than Ray 01 from Custom Robo: Battle Revolution

Mark (Pokemon Trading Card Game for GB 1 and 2)
Hiro (Card Hero)
Masaru Kado (Card Hero)
Anyone from Magical Vacation 1 and 2 *COUPLE MENTIONED IN SAKURAI'S POLL*
Anyone from Monster Tactics
R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy NES accessory)

AND

Blonde-haired Little Mac (SNES Super Punch-Out!!) (?*ADDED TO THE LIST*?)

Here are some reasons why I believe the blonde-haired Little Mac (SNES Super Punch-Out!!) has a higher chance at entering than the black-haired one (Two NES Punch-Out!! titles):

• If Kirby copied the NES Mac, his costume probably won't catch the eyes of each player as good as if he copied the SNES Mac, because of the hair-do.
  • He has a better winning taunt, which is when he raises his left fist in the air and shouts "RIGHT ON!"
  • SNES Mac has more moves than NES Mac does.
  • He reappeared in EA's Fight Night Round 2, while his name was revealed by Nintendo (not EA). This probably means that the SNES Mac is who Nintendo prefers more than NES Mac.
  • SNES Super Punch-Out!! closely matches the two Punch-Out!! arcades more than the NES ones.
  • SNES Mac has an entrance of his own, which is the same one from the opening of the SNES Super Punch-Out!!
  • Most characters shown in the SSBB trailer are modernized editions. Pit's look is mostly based on the front cover of the Game Boy Kid Icarus than the NES/Famicom Disk one does.
  • NES Mac is a shrunked version of the wire-boxer. He was made small, because the NES wasn't powerful enough to make the NES version play exactly (or almost exactly) like the arcade version. Also, instead of looking through the wire-boxer's body, players would look over NES Mac's head, in order to see their opponents. As technology advances, Genyo Takeda wants the Punch-Out!! series to look and play exactly like the arcade and SNES versions, instead of the NES versions.

Many of you would still believe the black-haired Little Mac would enter, because he and the NES Punch-Out!! titles are more popular.

These overlooked characters are who/what I'm hoping for. I also wish that these Super Smash Bros. Melee characters would return:

Marth (Fire Emblem 1: The Dark Dragon and Sword of Light; Fire Emblem 3: Mystery of the Emblem)
Roy (Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals)
Popo and Nana (Ice Climber)(also known as Ice Climbers)
Ness (MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound)
Captain Falcon (F-ZERO franchise)

AND

Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch LCD handhelds)

These characters should be preserved, and not continue being overlooked. If you don't know anything about them, look them up using search engines and Wikipedia. If any of you don't know who to submit, choose any or all of these characters.

And Dr. Wright (*ADDED TO THE LIST*) would be a good fighter, because he can use disasters like Tornado, Nuclear Meltdown, and U.F.O. Invasion, as his special moves. Also, he is not owned by Maxis (now part of EA), according to Will Wright:

Dragons_Revenge (Jan 8, 2004 6:30:47 PM)
Is Dr. Wright from the SimCity-SNES version going to make a come back? He was very helpful.
MaxisWill (Jan 8, 2004 6:30:47 PM)
I rather doubt it. That is a Ninetendo character so it's up to them.
Here is where I found these exact quotes.

EDIT

Right now, there is a thread at NSider talking about many Nintendo characters. Some of them are well-known, while some of them are lesser-known.

Algus, the starter of the thread called "Know Your Newcomers", needs to update it, because some of the YouTube links are no longer available. Here is his thread:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...ssage.id=694548&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

He also created some videos related to his thread. The first one was made by Algus, while the second one was made by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ebW7SFuR0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-250356102966140144&hl=en

I also created this other video \/, which shows some nearly-obscure characters that have a higher chance than most other nearly-obscure characters, in my opinion.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4201363658753597173&hl=en

xianfeng

Smash Hero
We need mostly recognisible characters like Diddy, Krytsal etc. and one or two overlooked characters so that people know who the characters are and already love them and know them if it was just a bunch of randoms the game itself would be overlooked

D

Deleted member

I would say so, yes. Super Smash Bros. is a powerful advertising tool. A soon as an unknown character is revealed a flurry of fansites/ shrines pop up everywhere, and Nintendo capitalises on this by making spin-off games and sells the character's franchise to new areas. There are loads of virtually unknown characters that could be beneficial for Nintendo in selling more games, just as soon as everyone realises who they are.

By the way, I think I saw this thread on Gamefaqs.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
In response to the title of the topic...

Yes, they are important. They are the heritage of the company and, therefore, should be treated with the utmost respect (though they will never get it from about 90% of kids age 13 and under.)

Kids, meaning anyone age 13 and under, today just don't respect the classics in anything (music, movies, tv shows, game, books, etc.) They don't realize that, without a lot of these things, a lot of the stuff that they enjoy wouldn't exist. We wouldn't have Hip Hop if it hadn't been for Rag Time. We wouldn't have Harry Potter if we didn't have The Lord of the Rings Trilogy or The Chronicles of Narnia. Heck, we wouldn't even have Friends if it wasn't for I Love Lucy and Gilligan's Island (the two GREATEST TV sitcoms of all-time.) But, I'm ranting again and this is not the place to rant. [/rant]

nomis

Smash Journeyman
parrothead said:
Many of you would still believe the black-haired Little Mac would enter, because he and the NES Punch-Out!! titles are more popular.
No, not more popular, but because the original Mac has more character. Sure, Little Mac only said about 3 sentences in the original game, but him, and only with him, did I ever feel such emotion when I won, when I lost, and when I worked hard to come up top.

Super Punch-out was just another video game. There was no art behind it. The interesting characters were re-used (Super Macho Thomas Jefferson Man, Bald Bull, and SandFREAKINGman) and the last boss was a nobody named Nick Bruiser. Also, Blonde Little Mac actually looked like he was fit enough to fight his opponents.

Where as the original Little Mac only stood about 4 centimeters tall, and his opponents were staggering 50 foot towers of destruction. Little Mac gives true meaning to the phrase, "Everybody loves to root for the underdog."

The portrayal of emotions in Punch-out! are highly influenced by the great sound effects and ESPECIALLY the perfect musical score. The suspense and thrill from bouting is eminently captured through the main battle theme. Training day and night through the streets of New York was tough work, but hearing that chime of victory makes it all worth while.

Facing strong opponents like the raging Bald Bull always kept me on my toes. "Pre-emptive strike on the fourth pivot!" I yell at Mac. Bald Bull rages towards Mac - his gigantic pivots send shockwaves down my spine. "Is he going to strike now? Now?!" Mac tries to strike first but Bald Bull lands a fierce charging uppercut, knocking Little Mac down! The immense pain to eagerly rise up and fight again will never compare to anything in past experiences. "Get up, ****it!" I say to Mac as I push him up. "The fight's not over!"

Mario screams, "10!"

I hang my head in defeat. Tired from his injuries, Mac doesn't say a word. Next time... next time....

Oh crap, looks like I got lost deep within nostalgia.

Where was I... uhh... the music in Super Punch-out! wasn't even comparable. The soundtrack sounded like it belonged to a Battletoads (they rocked) game and the voices sucked. By the way, where the hell is Mario? What's with this voice actually counting numbers? I'd rather hear "Itsa 1! Itsa 2! Itsa 3!" and so on (more like *BVVRRTT* for the original Punch-out!).

Oh well, if you believe that Blonde Mac deserves to be in more than the original, so be it.

BTW, great job on the list.

Ferro De Lupe said:
In response to the title of the topic...

Yes, they are important. They are the heritage of the company and, therefore, should be treated with the utmost respect (though they will never get it from about 90% of kids age 13 and under.)

Kids, meaning anyone age 13 and under, today just don't respect the classics in anything (music, movies, tv shows, game, books, etc.) They don't realize that, without a lot of these things, a lot of the stuff that they enjoy wouldn't exist. We wouldn't have Hip Hop if it hadn't been for Rag Time. We wouldn't have Harry Potter if we didn't have The Lord of the Rings Trilogy or The Chronicles of Narnia. Heck, we wouldn't even have Friends if it wasn't for I Love Lucy and Gilligan's Island (the two GREATEST TV sitcoms of all-time.) But, I'm ranting again and this is not the place to rant. [/rant]
Add Married with Children to that list of greatest TV sitcoms of all-time. Other than that, you deserve to be crowned, King of Rightpeople.

Seems like with every generation, their culture just gets worse. I'm glad I realized this sooner than later. [/rant]

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
If you want to get technical, the original Little Mac was a green wireframe with green hair in the Punchout! arcade games.

EDIT: Pictures added --no, don't adjust your sets, that warbly blurriness is how the game actually looked. And yes --it was on 2 screens. In the 1980s. Eat your heart out, DS.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
The black haired Little Mac was featured in Wario Ware, thus making him more likely
to enter in Smash Bros Brawl. I wouldn't cry if Mac was overlooked altogether though,
He didn't even have a trophy in Melee.

parrothead

Smash Lord
SSJ4Kazuki said:
The black haired Little Mac was featured in Wario Ware, thus making him more likely
to enter in Smash Bros Brawl. I wouldn't cry if Mac was overlooked altogether though,
He didn't even have a trophy in Melee.
Probably so, but that was before Nintendo and EA put the SNES Super Punch-Out!! and the blonde-haired Little Mac in the GCN version of Fight Night Round 2. Sakurai might look forward to that 3D model of blonde Little Mac, and add it to SSBB.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Actually, I remember a rumor somewhere that Little Mac was supposed to be a trophy, but was cut. Who knows. There were a lot of things that were meant to be in Melee that we'll never know about :/

On another note, parrothead: you are my hero. A voice of reason in this messed up online Smash world of newbs who think Andrew Oikonny is a GOOD idea for a fighter XD

If they don't take risks with overlooked characters, how will they attract broader audiences of fans? People were pushing in the US for Nintendo to have a solid RPG series, and never knew there was Fire Emblem all this time. Look where it got them putting Marth and Roy in Melee.

Also, two things I noticed about your list: 1. Muddy Mole was mentioned on Sakurai's list; 2. Sin and Punishment isn't a Nintendo owned game.

Great work dude ;)

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i notice Thomas isn't on that list.

but to be totally fair, Kung Fu was developed by Irem and licensed by Data East. i think both are dead now, with Data East being eaten by Sega.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If any of you are wondering why Hiro (Card Hero) would be suitable enough to fight, then he would fight like Yugi Muto in Jump Superstars (DS). Same goes for Mark (Pokemon Trading Card Game for GB 1 and 2).

If Nintendo wants more swordsman besides the ones from Fire Emblem titles (like Ayra, Lyndis, and Leaf), then they'll have to choose Takamaru (Murasame Castle of Mystery) and Prince Sablé and Prince Richard from Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (translated as "A Bell Tolls for the Frog").

If they want to cheer up the Americans and Europeans, they'll have to add Mike Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge; not to be confused with the rapper) and Tin Star from Tin Star.

If they want more wacky characters besides the ones from the Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon series, they'll have to select Demiru/Demille (Tomato Adventure), Hakkun (Sutte Hakkun), and Stafy (Legend of Stafy franchise).

If they want more characters from NES/Famicom classics to go with the Ice Climbers, they'll have to accept Ninten (MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound), Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe), and Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight).

If they want more robots, then they'll have to pick Harry (Teleroboxer), Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight), and probably R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy NES/Famicom accessory).

If they want more cowboys besides Flint (MOTHER 3/GBA EarthBound), then they'll have to look forward to Sheriff (Sheriff arcade), Tin Star (Tin Star), and any Wild Gunman (Wild Gunman).

And if they want more extreme characters besides the ones from the Metroid, F-ZERO, Fire Emblem, and Star Fox series, then they'll have to decide on the ST Falcon piloted by Michael Anderson (Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge) and Fighter Hayabusa (Pro Wrestling).

And the reason why I believe Rick Wheeler/Ryu Suzaku would be a good character to add is because he is Captain Falcon's best friend and foe, and Rick/Ryu appeared in two F-ZERO titles.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tin Star was a fun game...it's really a Nintendo franchise? I never would have guessed...

Maybe if I just played the game again >_<

Anyways Im rooting for Black Haired Little Mac to get in. I don't see why a lot of people don't want him. IMO he's probably one of the best "oldie" choices next to Pit.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Well, the thing about overlooked characters is that they've already confired Pitt. If Nintendo's willing to put in a character who starred in a single game the NES, they've shown that they're not afraid of digging DEEP into their vaults from some surprising characters.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
nomis said:
No, not more popular, but because the original Mac has more character. Sure, Little Mac only said about 3 sentences in the original game, but him, and only with him, did I ever feel such emotion when I won, when I lost, and when I worked hard to come up top.

Super Punch-out was just another video game. There was no art behind it. The interesting characters were re-used (Super Macho Thomas Jefferson Man, Bald Bull, and SandFREAKINGman) and the last boss was a nobody named Nick Bruiser. Also, Blonde Little Mac actually looked like he was fit enough to fight his opponents.

Where as the original Little Mac only stood about 4 centimeters tall, and his opponents were staggering 50 foot towers of destruction. Little Mac gives true meaning to the phrase, "Everybody loves to root for the underdog."

The portrayal of emotions in Punch-out! are highly influenced by the great sound effects and ESPECIALLY the perfect musical score. The suspense and thrill from bouting is eminently captured through the main battle theme. Training day and night through the streets of New York was tough work, but hearing that chime of victory makes it all worth while.

Facing strong opponents like the raging Bald Bull always kept me on my toes. "Pre-emptive strike on the fourth pivot!" I yell at Mac. Bald Bull rages towards Mac - his gigantic pivots send shockwaves down my spine. "Is he going to strike now? Now?!" Mac tries to strike first but Bald Bull lands a fierce charging uppercut, knocking Little Mac down! The immense pain to eagerly rise up and fight again will never compare to anything in past experiences. "Get up, ****it!" I say to Mac as I push him up. "The fight's not over!"

Mario screams, "10!"

I hang my head in defeat. Tired from his injuries, Mac doesn't say a word. Next time... next time....

Oh crap, looks like I got lost deep within nostalgia.

Where was I... uhh... the music in Super Punch-out! wasn't even comparable. The soundtrack sounded like it belonged to a Battletoads (they rocked) game and the voices sucked. By the way, where the hell is Mario? What's with this voice actually counting numbers? I'd rather hear "Itsa 1! Itsa 2! Itsa 3!" and so on (more like *BVVRRTT* for the original Punch-out!).

Oh well, if you believe that Blonde Mac deserves to be in more than the original, so be it.

BTW, great job on the list.

Add Married with Children to that list of greatest TV sitcoms of all-time. Other than that, you deserve to be crowned, King of Rightpeople.

Seems like with every generation, their culture just gets worse. I'm glad I realized this sooner than later. [/rant]
Also, New little Mac looks like he went Supaa Sai-yan 5 million.

SR7884

Smash Apprentice
Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong
may I make a few more suggestions.....from browsing over the trophies from SSBM....

King Dedede (the hammer) (an alternate costume/character for Ice Climbers (?), if they get included)
Bayonette (looks like a bad guy or a frustrating last boss)
Jeff (I'd find it an amusing name amongst the more elaborate names such as Mario, Link, Pikachu)

When I looked at the Meta Knight trophy in SSBM I thought about how great it would be to have him as a character....and lo and behold....he his a character.....

(btw, Jeff is from Earthbound....bad hair attack or glasses attack would be his special moves)

Conker1

Smash Ace
Err, you can have both Little Mac styles, its as easy as a head swap. Like Pikachu's different hats.

parrothead

Smash Lord
The protagonist for both arcade versions (and the Arm Wrestling spin-off) is unknown, but he could be related to Little Mac.

Major reasons why the NES version is popular:

|1.| He has a coach.
|2.| He's in a YTMND fad.
|3.| He's the protagonist of the most popular Punch-Out!! game.
|4.| He's the protagonist of the first home console Punch-Out!! title.
|5.| He faced against Mike Tyson.

And major reasons why the SNES version is popular:

|1.| He has more moves than before.
|2.| He looks easier to recognize.
|3.| His winning taunt is greater than before.
|4.| He appeared in 3D in EA's Fight Night Round 2.
|5.| He can face more than one real-life boxer in Fight Night Round 2.

I don't know why they modified Little Mac's look, but probably because it's related to a missing storyline, which probably means that after Little Mac knocked out Mr. Dream and won a lot of money, he spend his money for a new hair-do, a facial surgery, and better clothes to make him look good enough in his opinion.

And what about the other boxers (excluding Mike Tyson)? Some of them retired or quit boxing and moved on to something else. For a serious example, Glass Joe became a boxing coach at his own boxing gym. Then he met a pretty old boxer name Gabby Jay, and while they fought each other, Gabby Jay knocked out Glass Joe and graduated to move on to fight other boxers, but he never won a single match ever since he fought Glass Joe. And this other example might be true, after Super Macho Man got knocked out by Little Mac, he went back to practice boxing while he got himself a sun tan.

Before they finished developing the SNES Super Punch-Out!!, there was a screenshot of the Beta version, which showed Little Mac with a different look, before they made him have blonde-hair. It looked similar to this, but the face looked more like Inuyasha's or Joey's (Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters):

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Firstly, here's some art I came across of Prince Richard as he appears in Link's Awakening :)

Secondly, there's different levels of characters they may include from the NES era, as I see it:

You have the arcade/pre Super Mario era. This was what they struggled to represent in Melee, and finally decided on the Ice Climbers. Then you have the post Super Mario era, with games like Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus. Pit was a long time coming, but he is considered a franchise character in the same boat as Link and Samus. Ice Climbers, however, can be joined with Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, etc. as older, arcade-style characters. Their obscurity ranges, but they are certainly more "classic." Just look at how the Ice Climbers were portrayed upon revival in comparison to Pit: Pit was clearly revived with the intent of making him fresh and modern as if his series had never died; Ice Climbers are their original appearance slapped into 3D.

There's also the post '90 NES era, which shares much in common with the SNES games, as games of this time were pretty much dumbed down SNES ports or in competition with their more powerful siblings. Star Tropics, Kirby's Adventure, Joy Mecha Fight, etc.

I don't necessarily place, then, Pit in direct competition with older characters like Urban Champion, nor do I do the same with Sukapon or Mike. They are all post franchises, whereas Ice Climbers, Bubbles, etc. are all pre franchises. They had simple arcade-style games, while Pit and his cronies had complex "adventures."

With that in mind, I figure we'll see one more rep from the classic NES era, pre Super Mario, and any amount of post Super Mario characters, since Pit doesn't really "hold a spot" that nobody else can fill. So here's hoping for Takamaru, Mike, and Sukapon :)

parrothead

Smash Lord
I was responsible for posting that picture in the Link's Awakening article on Wikipedia, but that was his artwork for the game that came before Link's Awakening.

See this submission.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I worry about this game. With all the current flurry of suggestions for modern characters, I feel that SSBB will become totaly popularistic and fan-driven. Nintendo fans are in danger of forgeting its heritage. But I suppose its characters like Game & Watch and Pit that give me some hope.

parrothead

Smash Lord
A few weeks after I created the article for Tomato Adventure on Wikipedia, someone was about to delete it, because he/she thought it was nothing but "another video game", and not genre-defining at all. Also, his job is to delete articles about plain video games, just to save money on bandwidth. Then, someone else came to tell that it shouldn't be deleted, because he believes that any article about a title developed and/or published by Nintendo should not be deleted. Also, Tomato Adventure was the first title that AlphaDream and Nintendo both worked on.

And when I uploaded the Tomato Adventure commercial ad on YouTube, many people thought of it as a funny ad, because of the catchy "Engrish" singing. Right now, I am still working on ripping Tomato Adventure sprites so I can let people use them for Flash movies, animated GIFs, forum banners, sprite comics, and other kinds of fan creations.

Most of you people think that most of the obscure and/or Japanese Nintendo titles I mentioned are worse than E.T. for Atari and the CD-i Zelda titles combined. Playing and worshipping only overrated Nintendo titles does not make you a true Nintendo fan. I am competing against FryGuy64 (owner of Nintendo Database), because some of his Nintendo information is missing, some are incorrect. Also, his fan art is poor. He thinks that EA was responsible for calling the blonde-haired boxer, Little Mac. He is trying to make gamers believe this false. I believe Nintendo was responsible for naming the blonde-haired boxer, Little Mac. Also, the reason why Nintendo created blonde-haired Little Mac, is because the black-haired one just looks too plain, and he doesn't need Doc Louis all the time. The blonde-haired Little Mac doesn't look like a Super-Saiyan, because he doesn't have spiked-hair. It's just a couple of cow-licks.

If you think that the black-haired Little Mac will can the blonde-haired Little Mac's @$$, then I believe that the blonde-haired Little Mac will Counter Punch the black-haired one. If you think that the SSBB Pit artwork is the remake of the NES Pit artwork, then you are incorrect. The SSBB Pit artwork is based on the Game Boy Pit artwork.

Many of you should not forget these characters I mentioned, because they are pieces of Nintendo history, and I am getting kind of bored of seeing those Flash movies about Mario shaking his @$$ to make you freakin' "LOL FTW", they didn't make me laugh when I first saw them. Go ahead and pull out your freakin' chain saw or something and murder me, just because you think that I am alienating. Well, not really. I just wish to see more Flash movies based on obscure/Japanese Nintendo titles.

I hope Sakurai saves room for a few of the most unique characters, like Demille/Demiru (because of his acting, the way he looks, and the way he uses his Gimmicks), Lip (because she is a female toddler and she uses an unusual weapon), Sukapon (because of the way he fights, and he can easily replace Rayman), and Stafy (because of the way he fights, looks, and acts. Also, I wish that annoying name controversy would end). Takamaru might be a clone of Marth and Roy, Jill might not fit good using her Drill Dozer (known as Screw Breaker in Japan), and Harry the Teleroboxer might be a clone of Little Mac, and could be promoting a failed Nintendo console, which I still enjoy. Takamaru, Jill, and Harry are still good, but I'd prefer Demiru/Demille, Lip, Stafy, and Sukapon the most.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
Parrothead, you never fail to amaze me. I salute you.

The old school characters are very important and necessary. Why, on these boards I ran into someone who had the audacity to say that Nintendo was going towards 3rd party characters because they were running out of "good ones." There's no possible way.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
SR7884 said:
may I make a few more suggestions.....from browsing over the trophies from SSBM....

King Dedede (the hammer) (an alternate costume/character for Ice Climbers (?), if they get included)
Bayonette (looks like a bad guy or a frustrating last boss)
Jeff (I'd find it an amusing name amongst the more elaborate names such as Mario, Link, Pikachu)

When I looked at the Meta Knight trophy in SSBM I thought about how great it would be to have him as a character....and lo and behold....he his a character.....

(btw, Jeff is from Earthbound....bad hair attack or glasses attack would be his special moves)

BOOOOOOO! Yellow card for putting down one of my favorite Earthbound characters ever. He doesn't use PSI. He's too badass for PSI. He'll Bottle Rocket your face off.

Also, you get a warning for assuming Dedede would be a clone. Have you played a Kirby game? He can fight way differently. He Floats for Crissake.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
dotdotdot beat me to this but.....

I take you've never touched Earthbound have you? Jeff's abilities revolve around being the only character to fire bottle rockets. Also he can fix broken items and make them into deadly machines that only he can use such as the Hungry HP Sucker, the Counter-PSI Unit, and the Heavy Bazooka. Next time, know what you're talking about before you list it.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yes, overlooked characters are important because it gives them a chance to shine and some are more interesting than the main characters. These are some really great suggestions! Most notably(at least to me)
Harry, Demiru, and Little Mac.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
-Mace-Solo- said:
Parrothead, you never fail to amaze me. I salute you.

The old school characters are very important and necessary. Why, on these boards I ran into someone who had the audacity to say that Nintendo was going towards 3rd party characters because they were running out of "good ones." There's no possible way.
I want to strangle this person with my bare hands :mad:

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Demiru seems to be the only one in that list that stands out to me. He's got some pretty cool moves.

The SSB games have catapulted overlooked characters to worldwide popularity. Without them... oh, what a bore the SSB games would be.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
For the sake of peace of mind, here's all the software development teams that make up Nintendo. I've included some game titles they've worked on in light blue italics.

Here is a list of all First-Party Nintendo Development Teams:

• R&D 1 (Kid Icarus, Metroid, Classic Arcade Titles [i.e. Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, etc.], Wario Land, Wario Ware, Dr. Mario... it goes on, but the only "series" are both Wario lines, Kid Icarus, non-Prime Metroids, Arcade/Classic NES games, and early Famicom Detective Club games. They also helped develop Sin & Punishment and created the NES version of Tetris)
  • R&D 2 (Focuses on ports. Did the Mario Advance titles and the Lttp/Four Swords GBA remake. Also developed Sutte Hakkun, Marvellous, and Daigassou! Band Brothers!)
  • EAD (The most famous. Miyamoto worked here, and used to manage it. Every regular Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Star Fox, early F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and a few other unique games, are made by this team. They also developed the Donkey Kong arcade titles, of course)
  • Special P&D (Info eludes me...)
  • Intelligent Systems (Was at one point part of R&D1, so it shares the bragging rights to Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc. Was headed by the famous Gunpei Yokoi, creator of the GameBoy. More popularly known for Famicom Wars and Fire Emblem, as well as Paper Mario and their puzzle games. They also take on spinoff games once in a while, like Mario Kart: Super Circuit and WarioWare: Twisted!)
  • EAD Tokyo (Miyamoto's new offshoot team. Developed DK Jungle Beat, and is making Super Mario Galaxy)
  • NST (First North-American based team. Made Metroid Prime Hunters and is working on Project HAMMER. Also made Ridge Racer 64 and the GCN versions of 1080 and Wave Race.)
  • Retro Studios (Based in Texas, was bought out to make the Metroid Prime games. Was working on the infamous Raven Blade before Metroid Prime fell into their lap.)
  • Brownie Brown (Consists of former Squaresoft employees, now first-party Nintendo employees. Made Magical Vacation, the update of FF Adventure [Sword of Mana] and worked on Mother 3 with HAL.)

And Second-party:

• HAL Labs (Well-to-do third party that made the Eggerland games for MSX. Made a few NES games, including the Adventures of Lolo games and Kabuki Quantum Fighter, before being bought out by Nintendo. Kirby, Mother, Smash Bros., and a few solo titles are all to their credit)
  • Camelot (Partnered with Sega for a long while, making the Shining Force games. Developed Hot Shots for Playstation, wanted to port to N64, was told they could use Mario license, and Mario Golf was born. Got into Mario Tennis, and then was promptly bought out when making Golden Sun. They have Mario Golf/Tennis and Golden Sun to their credit as a part of Nintendo)
  • Genius Sonority (Mostly forgettable partially-owned 2nd party, made up of former Earthbound/Pokemon/Dragon Quest developers. Made both GCN Pokemon games [Box doesn't count], as well as Pokemon Trozei)
  • Creatures Inc. (Another relatively uninvolved, so it seems. Helps develop Pokemon games, and is involved with merchandising)
  • AlphaDream (Founded just to make a few GBA RPGS: Tomato Adventure and Mario and Luigi. Just completed the sequel to Mario and Luigi, and they may be working on more stuff.)
  • Game Freak (Founded by the famous Satoshi Tajiri as a third party, and developed two games for the Genesis [one of which you may recall: Pulseman]. Was bought out by Nintendo, became 2nd party, made a few Mario puzzle games and other relatively minor titles, then got involved heavily in Pokemon. Also recently released Drill Dozer.)

NOTE: Some software development teams are now currently hardware teams, i.e. IRD, which developed Punch-Out and Star Tropics, is now making hardware.

And there you have it. Took me a while to throw it all together, but it's a succinct enough list, I hope, to give you an idea of who goes where in Nintendo :psycho:

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
dotdotdot! said:
BOOOOOOO! Yellow card for putting down one of my favorite Earthbound characters ever. He doesn't use PSI. He's too badass for PSI. He'll Bottle Rocket your face off.

Also, you get a warning for assuming Dedede would be a clone. Have you played a Kirby game? He can fight way differently. He Floats for Crissake.
lol actually i could see him being a kirby clone.

Pikawil

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I think Nintendo should balance the overlooked and popular characters or else it'll be a Namco x Capcom affair (Too much obscure characters that not even the Japanese know about!) we'll get...

To parrothead: Are you that same one from KRR?

parrothead

Smash Lord
Pikawil said:
Hmm, I think Nintendo should balance the overlooked and popular characters or else it'll be a Namco x Capcom affair (Too much obscure characters that not even the Japanese know about!) we'll get...

To parrothead: Are you that same one from KRR?
Yes, Pikawil. I came here to show my submissions I made for JoshCube's SBO website. I also came to try and end those annoying submissions, like Master Chief, Petey Piranha, Banjo & Kazooie, Dry Bones, Rayman, and ExciteBiker.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
parrothead said:
Yes, Pikawil. I came here to show my submissions I made for JoshCube's SBO website. I also came to try and end those annoying submissions, like Master Chief, Petey Piranha, Banjo & Kazooie, Dry Bones, Rayman, and ExciteBiker.
I love you.

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
A good addition to that list is Lolo & Lala from the Adventures of Lolo series. The small bit of insider knowledge I have tells me they will be characters in Brawl anyway, so might as well add them.

They are one of HAL Lab's first mascots prior to Kirby, and Satoru Iwata himself worked on the game series. I'd wager the chances of them making it as ridiculously high.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lolo and Lala were from the Eggerland games, too :p Something very pre-Nintendo for HAL

You know what else HAL did before Nintendo? Kabuki Quantum Fighter :chuckle:

Too bad Pulseman was never on a Nintendo console :(

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
That's true, they were from the Eggerland series, but I didn't wanna get too hardcore on everyone now. :p

Much like game series' like Metal Gear, and Castlevania, Eggerland infact got it's start on the MSX console, the first console that HAL originally developed for.

Also, Pulseman is Game Freak property (yes, the Pokemon Company), but having not appeared on any Nintendo console, this unique character's chances of making it in are totally shot. :( I have great Sega Channel memories of that game.

In any case, Lolo and Lala will work similar to Ice Climbers. This might make Ice Climber's two character trait a little less unique, but I think they would be a nice contrast on the duo.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Mark (Pokemon Trading Card Game for GB 1 and 2)

Dude, that guy is so obscure that I don't remember him... and if I can't remember a pokemon character (I was so into pokemon back during the height of Pokemania that I had just about everyone memorized), then that means that probably nobody would know who the heck he is if he were in SSB.

Top Bottom