• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are noobs killing wolf?

Wildstyle

Smash Rookie
i can't help but feel that the less skilled players winning with wolf slightly ruins it for the more advanced wolf mainers. i played in a tournament the other day, it was wolf vs wolf, and the kid (who was 13, yes i asked lol) probably spent about half the match just spamming his fsmash. i can't help but feel that the people who play against wolf and lose to someone who does that, are the same people saying wolf is overpowered. Does anyone agree or am i the only one who feels this way.

yuo

Smash Cadet
I have to disagree. Wolf is awesome, but definitely not so good that any difference in skill is negligible. I believe its already been pointed out that Wolf is relatively easy to pick up but very diificult to master.

tehSANDMAN

Smash Apprentice
I think Wolf is a very solid character, with good priority, speed, combos, and a decent projectile. Although, it's his character that tends to cater to more of a 10-13 year old crowd. But it isn't going to stop me from not playing him, though. I play him just because I like the feel of him.

DanP828

Smash Rookie
I used fox but then I discovered wolf is a lot easier to use and is not as hard to combo with, but still there arent that many good useful techniques so its going to be really hard to stand out or be better than the rest until theres something good that can really seperate you

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree entirely NOOBS R RUINING WOLF!!!! All they do with wolf is smash smash smash smash and thats it and if they don't do that its the whole spam laser and camp deal. Noob wolf players this is to you, Learn to actually play him don't be like "ohh wow....his fsmash has nice reach" Yes all wolf players have said this at one point or another but when 80% of your attacks are smash attacks your not really good your just spamming smash attacks. Learn some real combos with wolf use something besides smash attacks. I rarely use my smash attacks its at about 20% of my moves and i'm working on getting it down to 15%. This is how wolf should be played. Its people who just use smashes to win that ruin wolf and it annoys me alot

Kotep

Smash Cadet
Well, with the exception of a character that's hard to pick up quickly, just about any character is going to have people spamming it. I don't think Wolf is overpowered any more than I think Pit is overpowered because my friend can spam that move where he goes 'yah-yah-yah-yah!'. I'm sorry, I don't know what buttons do that. .__.

Wildstyle

Smash Rookie
i think that's a real big problem, he's very easy to learn in the beginning and what person just starting out wouldn't want to pick someone with a very spammable projectile, which imo is very effective if used in forcing your opponent to approach you. When i picked wolf at my tourney i heard a lot of sighs as if they thought i was gonna spam my smash attacks. To their suprise i used him with finesse, worked my combos, laser, and smash attacks when they were high enough and i think alot of people were surprised. Wolf imo is top tier, he has the speed, the weight (not getting ko'ed easily) and the moves to make him top tier. I just hope the people who picked wolf for his easy smashes or laser move on to someone else, like jigglypuff!

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
yes and like i said before its only been what 2 weeks maybe idk but when people start getting better and people who have chosen wolf for his easy pickup are going to have trouble when they try to match other peoples skill levels. They are going to need more then smash moves

Haarp

Smash Rookie
if you're good enough, wolf's spam should not be a problem to you...just learn to dodge it =]
that´s right

but.....

WTF?!?!?!

i spamming smash attacks but i´m not a noob, it´s because Wolf´s side Smash is really powerfull and faster, but obviouly use another attacks

nub?

Smash Rookie
yea i totally agree that lots of nubs are 'ruining' wolf; i remember one time in particular where one of my friends was spamming the fsmash so much that he was basically walking around on FD by smashing his c-stick across the entire map haha. I'm not saying that it's hard to fight against a wolf spamming his fmash either btw :) i just think it's funny how others have noticed this

Mizar

Smash Ace
Just don't pay attention to that. I noticed the same thing with a guy that played pit. The only thing he could do is shoot arrows and run away. I also main wolf and I have to agree on that he's pretty easy to pick up. However, mastering him (especially his d-air) will be hard for noobs. So there will always be a difference. The longer we play, the bigger that difference gets.

Mizar

Smash Ace
I have to agree entirely NOOBS R RUINING WOLF!!!! All they do with wolf is smash smash smash smash and thats it and if they don't do that its the whole spam laser and camp deal. Noob wolf players this is to you, Learn to actually play him don't be like "ohh wow....his fsmash has nice reach" Yes all wolf players have said this at one point or another but when 80% of your attacks are smash attacks your not really good your just spamming smash attacks. Learn some real combos with wolf use something besides smash attacks. I rarely use my smash attacks its at about 20% of my moves and i'm working on getting it down to 15%. This is how wolf should be played. Its people who just use smashes to win that ruin wolf and it annoys me alot
I disagree. It doesnt matter how much smashes you use as long as you can keep comboing (well, semi comboing for brawl >_>) I do thing that you need to save your KO moves till about 100% or let them ''reload'' as your are fighting if you used your KO moves in the beginning of the match.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
well the problem with spamming smash attacks is that it really takes no skill. Someone could pick up wolf play him twice and then just start owning with smash attacks they aren't showing true skill. To me its just a cheap tactic used by people who feel they have accomplished something when they are able to spam smashes. Also people shouldn't have to learn to deal with this because its cheap when i saw these videos on some online turny. and it was wolf v wolf and both where just using smash attacks it was highly disappointing. There where more deserving people who actually used tactics and mind games that deserved to win not spamming smash attacks.

As i said there will be differences in the future as we all know. There are going to be the people who spam smash attacks with wolf and those who actually use him with all his moves and potential. On a competition level those who spam smash attacks wont last.

Wildstyle

Smash Rookie
On a competition level those who spam smash attacks wont last.
That couldn't be more right, i just really hate when people have the wrong impression of me because of other people with less skilll, it's really annoying.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
same this is exactly i had to deal with enough of that in melee because i used fox. It annoying when you choose someone and right away people are thinking "great....." and u know they are because they get the wrong impression from seeing lesser players.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've noticed that spamming Fsmash or at least trying to combo with it can be avoided by the good players. But on scrubs - it's so easy to hit someone 3 times in a row with Fsmash. My one friend who's really good plays my wolf alot and I almost never fsmash to fsmash because he'll always dodge it by jumping or DIing away.

I think you'll notice top wolf players won't use Fsmash so much as other players get better. Mainly because I think if you play against wolf enough you'll know WHEN the fsmash is coming and it's not too hard to dodge it if you're far enough away to see it coming. Sometimes you can go unpunished after using Fsmas if you're close and your opponent shields because you'll end up on the other side of them. However some faster characters like sheik can easily punish you during your lag frames.

Also - it's impossible for someone to RUIN a character. Sure, most people who start off with wolf will be infatuated with his Fsmash. After they realize that it's easy to punish if dodged then they'll start to get better. Really it's just a stepping stone to improvement.

However, I still don't understand the mentality that a character could be ruined because other people are using it poorly. If anything, the noobs just gives you the advantage when fighting other people because they'll be excepting noob moves with wolf such as spamming fsmash.

/end thread

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
i agree and disagree with somethings. Obviously better players will easily see the Fsmash coming and more of wolfs smashes coming this is why they wont last and yes top wolf players wont use Fsmash that much because you can be punished for it rather easily even by slower characters with shield grapples. Its not that they are "ruining" wolf its just a bad reputation thing. It is impossible to ruin a char. but people lose respect for players who use a char. that noobs could easily exploit. All though after words they change their mind after they see better wolf players fight its just the initial reaction at first that annoys me.

tense

Smash Cadet
I agree that learning to play a character above the level of button-mashing is important, but if they win with just smashes, there's nothing wrong with them; there's something wrong with their opponent. There's no specific way a person has to play Wolf, except one that will win. spamming fsmash shouldn't, but if it does, there's nothing inherently wrong with doing it.

warp

Smash Rookie
I agree that learning to play a character above the level of button-mashing is important, but if they win with just smashes, there's nothing wrong with them; there's something wrong with their opponent. There's no specific way a person has to play Wolf, except one that will win. spamming fsmash shouldn't, but if it does, there's nothing inherently wrong with doing it.
I couldn't have said it better myself. These are my thoughts exactly. I completely agree.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
ALL THAT MATTERS IS WINNING. When you say it like that, it sucks, but it's true. If smashing alot allows me to win a tourney, so be it. There is no right or wrong way to play a character.

N00bs use every character. Last year at the detroit regional tourney for melee I can't tell you how many n00bs came in ready to "pwn" with fox. They learn fast. They lose.

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that spamming Fsmash or at least trying to combo with it can be avoided by the good players. But on scrubs - it's so easy to hit someone 3 times in a row with Fsmash. My one friend who's really good plays my wolf alot and I almost never fsmash to fsmash because he'll always dodge it by jumping or DIing away.

I think you'll notice top wolf players won't use Fsmash so much as other players get better. Mainly because I think if you play against wolf enough you'll know WHEN the fsmash is coming and it's not too hard to dodge it if you're far enough away to see it coming. Sometimes you can go unpunished after using Fsmas if you're close and your opponent shields because you'll end up on the other side of them. However some faster characters like sheik can easily punish you during your lag frames.

Also - it's impossible for someone to RUIN a character. Sure, most people who start off with wolf will be infatuated with his Fsmash. After they realize that it's easy to punish if dodged then they'll start to get better. Really it's just a stepping stone to improvement.

However, I still don't understand the mentality that a character could be ruined because other people are using it poorly. If anything, the noobs just gives you the advantage when fighting other people because they'll be excepting noob moves with wolf such as spamming fsmash.

/end thread
I completely agree with you. Something that people may be overlooking when their opponent spams attacks is that spamming an attack, combo, or attack pattern IS A STRATEGY TO WIN: as long as an attack etc. works, why use something else? you'd only allow more opportunity for your opponant to defeat every attack pattern. and then, of course, once you're forced to play your best, the opponant'll need time to adjust to this new attack pattern.

so, if you lose to that "n00b" who spammmed his attack, you have no right to complain: you just lost to a better player.
EDIT: even if that player only knew the attack he spammed.

(just to put that out, I get so annoyed when people mistake skill for scrub, it's not that any argument so far seemed ill placed)

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Lol this is kind of ridiculous. Let me make a general statement: Noobs that exploit easy methods are so common it's nothing to even bat an eye towards. There will always be the great players who demonstrate true skill and overshadow those noobs, thus there's no point in recognizing them in the first place. This is just a lame attempt to whine and getting nowhere (as if making this discussion is going to stop those "fsmash spammers").

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
yes, in my opponion, if you're annoyed by players (the actual n00bs, better players is understandable) spamming an attack, you need to stop being a scrub and learn how to be good.

whenever I face someone who only knows one thing, I quickly develop a counter (if I didn't already know one) and then laugh at their inexperience (inwardly, though, don't want to make them dislike the game)

I hope I'm not coming off as insulting, I'm trying not to but because of the point I have it's a little hard

perfect007

Smash Rookie
n00bs kill n00bs. If someone is spaming a move on you and hitting you...
This thread shouldn't exist.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Its not about whether or not they can beat someone who cant counter it. Its easy but its a respect thing from other players as farnsworth said people who play like that wont get respect its simple all i got to say is those who spam smash attacks have fun in future competitions when it wont be enough anymore.

Count Lupin

Smash Rookie
the more i fight against my scrubby friend or a noob online and they are wolf a part of me dies... cause they can just sit there and slam on that c stick constantly and still win

Timmytomma

Smash Rookie
I wanna know why you guys give a **** how other people play him, as long as you guys dont play him that way then it is fine but *****ing about how people "ruin" a character on a forum makes you a homo. Also you talk about ppl at competetion level... not everybody plays in tourneys and competetively you ****ing idiot.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
If you're worried about a bad reputation, then let Wolf have the reputation of having scrubs/noobs/whatever playing him. It doesn't matter so long as you can go out there and show that YOU have skill and finesse with Wolf. Your reputation and skill far outweighs what the 'noobs' do to the character.

Count Lupin

Smash Rookie
tim the reason why i and many others think that wolf is being ruined is because people who are dedicated to the game can lose to a player who doesnt give a rats *** about brawl, why if sum1 told a 5 year old kid "hey play as the wolf guy and keep on hitting this yellow stick " they could beat sumone with actual skill. and belive me i know not all players play in tournaments but it doesnt give you an excuse to insult people for their views

Count Lupin

Smash Rookie
Colored Blind: you make a good point. but you know it kinda hurts to see a favorite character played on such a terrible level and having to undergo an assault of bragging from a less experienced player

Timmytomma

Smash Rookie
you realize it is possible to dodge right... if you lose to a 5 yearold hitting the cstick across the map you obviously dont have the skill that you think you do

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
;)I say let them spam their Fsmash all they want, all they are doing training the other players to espect it from Wolf, but guess what there going to be in for a rude awakening when they play me.;);

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot
if you rarely use smash attacks, what do you usually do. I know aaa, ftilt, grabs, and some other moves are good, but what do you usually kill with. i need to know, i want to improve my wolf game, he's one of my mains

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is literally like the Fox of Brawl. He was used a ton in Melee but most were just good enough to beat their item-loving friends.

Most people will recognize a good Wolf from a bad one.

Top Bottom