• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are all the big characters already in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can't help but wonder if all the big names of Nintendo are already in the games.

The Mario (and Zelda) series has the Heroes, Princess and villain. Kirby has both of his mostly foes, sometimes allies. And nearly every Character specific Mario Spin-off has their star in. Star Fox has some demand for Krystal but most would agree that the series has reached saturation point. I think the different series can be put into different categories.

Single Character Series: Mostly applies to Metroid and Kid Icarus. Yoshi and Wario are bit characters from another series so their supporting cast is even more unknown. Retros are unknown by definition and there hasn't been enough new Pikmin types to make another Pikmin Captain. Single character series have been expanded in the past with Kriby making the jump from 1 to 3 in a single game so they aren't static.

Fluid Cast Series (Pokemon/FireEmblem/Mother): Series that start over with each installment These series have more character than other series have sales. Both FE and PKMN, in previous games seem to have characters that either fit into "classic" or "modern".

Pushing it: Series that already have a notable cast can still have characters to give. First and foremost, Donkey Kong has had a platforming legacy that is just as acclaimed as Mario's but only half the cast. Star Fox has the aforementioned Krystal and the Mario series has one more spin-off that could be given it's own rep, Paper Mario. On top of that though, just about every Mario character that has been playable in more than 2 main platforming games is already in and most Zelda characters been asked for are single game villains.

I have a feeling that most of the characters will come from new series but maybe we'll get some old series filled out.

TL;DR: I write these things to dehyhpe myself so that if/when a new character is released I haven' let my own expectations dull my excitement.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I actually wrote about this about a week ago. I'll try to find my post, but in the meantime, here's what I mentioned.
I said that the hero, sidekick, damsel, and villain are all necessary for completing a series.
Characters I included were King K. Rool, Ridley, Dixie Kong, and more arguable characters like Mii and Krystal.
Of course, I didn't do every series. Might be a good idea to redo it with all of the franchises in Smash.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
But some franchises doesnt need a character, like brain age and nintendogs. not sure if its a joke

Custom Robo is another need.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
(I'm serious alright ;))
Unless Sakurai sees the moveset potential of a floating head and a puppy that's worth developing. :p
That pretty much was the influence of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

That doesnt mean we need them for the game.
Villager was part of the background in smashville so yes, and i also think kawashima and nintendog have a strong move potential, but thats not the thread here :p

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That doesnt mean we need them for the game.
Villager was part of the background in smashville so yes, and i also think kawashima and nintendog have a strong move potential, but thats not the thread here :p
He is looking for new kinds of characters, just look at them, they are pretty damn diverse.
But yeah get back on topic here. Embarrass

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Important 'big names' left to be added: King K.Rool, Mewtwo, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Toad, Paper Mario, Little Mac.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys (or whoever's there)!
I was thinking about Metroid and Ridley and such, when I decided to put together a short list of what I think are Nintendo's most important franchises, and what it needs/has to be complete.

Mario: Hero: Mario, Sidekick: Luigi, Damsel: Peach, Villain: Bowser
Pokémon: Hero: Pokémon Trainer, Sidekick: Pikachu, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Mewtwo? (Pokémon is a tough one)
Zelda: Hero: Link, Sidekick: Navi , Damsel: Zelda, Villain: Ganondorf
Wii: Hero: Mii, Sidekick: n/a, Damsel: n/a, Villain: n/a
DK: Hero: DK, Sidekick: Diddy/Dixie, Damsel: n/a, Villain: K. Rool
Kirby: Hero: Kirby, Sidekick: Meta Knight?, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Dedede
Metroid: Hero: Samus, Sidekick: n/a, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Ridley
Star Fox: Hero: Fox, Sidekick: Falco, Damsel: Krystal (although she is unnecessary), Villain: Wolf

There are other franchises, but I listed the ones I consider very important to Nintendo's history (although I did not include Kid Icarus, it is a notable franchise because of its importance in the NES days and its recent revival).
The characters included in this list are basically the ones that I consider necessary, from a series representation standpoint. Note that new series (except for Wii) were not included. I just thought since Wii Sports is the best selling game ever, Wii should probably be included.
This is what I was looking for.
Note the absence of Meowth in the Pokémon section. Put him next to Mewtwo if you would like.
Also, Sidekick and Rival are one in the same for cases like Meta Knight and Falco.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Yo didnt include the "Rival" category, is not the same "rival" (falco), "villian" (andross) and "nemesis" (wolf).

And Metaknight is not a rival/sidekick, is more like a friend/partner/mentor. DDD is real kirbys rival.
Zelda fits both the definition of "sidekick" and "dammsel" btw.

The idea is good but thats not how the franchises really work, is better choose arbitrarily the characters in function of their game appearances and roles, rather than try to look who is missed in those categories.
For example, Pikachu is neither of them, he is the pokemon mascot, so, is different in every case.

And thats exactly why andy from advance wars is the worst idea for a character ever... :awesome:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie and Mewtwo are all that is truly left for franchises that have been in Smash prievously. All other possible newcomers (or other possible returning vets for that matter) from other, larger franchises that have been in Smash prievously are far less likely and are not as popular. That being said, I still hope to see characters such as Bowser Jr., Toon Zelda/Tetra, Bandana Dee etc.

Little Mac is a easily a "Big name" character, the most deserving and most wanted of all characters from a franchise that has yet to have a playable character in Smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not until Ridley turns up.
"Ridley's not essential; Zero Suit Samus is even more important than him! Samus in general is all the roster really needs as far as Metroid with how the series is supposed to be about isolation."

:rolleyes:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
"Ridley's not essential; Zero Suit Samus is even more important than him! Samus in general is all the roster really needs as far as Metroid with how the series is supposed to be about isolation."

:rolleyes:

Are you quoting someone?

And in anycase I'd say Ridley is an important part of pretty much any Metroid game he's a part of. He represents the level of power you'll have to reach in order to complete the game by appearing early and establishing himself as a major threat. Well... He did that in Super Metroid and Metroid Prime (the best ones) anyway.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wasn't quoting anyone there in particular, but it's basically the mindset of every Samus/ZSS purist/supremacist when it comes to arguing against her arch-nemesis's inclusion, aside from toobigotry here and there.

Metroid Prime 3 is one of the best examples of that too, out of Ridley's appearances.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Honestly, give me Ridley, Toad, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, Mii and Palutena, and you've got all the necessary "big" characters. I'm partial to add Pac-Man into that as well.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aside from a couple more characters from the Donkey Kong and Metroid games, I'd say yes. I think its safe to say that most people would be pretty hyped for Ridley and King K. Rool to make it into Smash after so many year and Dixie Kong slightly less so in that regard. Not too sure of the chances of another Metroid character other than Ridley being added, but almost anyone from that series would personally get me excited. Though I do like Ridley and Dark Samus the most out of these choices.

Outside of those two series, Little Mac seems like a heavy hitter too if you ask me. Having a few games under his belt since the NES days. Some kind of character from Nintendo Wars/Advance Wars would be cool too. Maybe Isaac from Golden Sun, but isn't exactly all that well known, but its still got a dedicated following behind it.

If up and coming series like Xenogears still get games released, then I say Shulk will eventually find his way into the series too. Same goes for Dillon, but to a lesser extent.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only big character not mentioned is Toad. Other than him, Ridley, K. Rool, and to an extent Little Mac, the road is clear for cool retro and new characters, imo!

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Duckhunt is an iconic game. But the dog doesn't need a moveset. Nor does Nintendogs or Dr Kawashima. Out of all the series left, the only two iconic ones would be Punch-Out (Little Mac), Nintendo Wars and Golden Sun. I don't think getting all the iconic characters should be a priority though, it's characters that suit the game. Would prefer to see Saki or Ray over Dr Kawashima or Nintendogs. In a couple of years time I could see Monolith Soft, making a Nintendo iconic series too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  • Ridley - Most important antagonist of Metroid
  • K. Rool - Most important antagonist of Donkey Kong Country series
  • Dixie - Tritagonist, protagonist of two DKC games
  • Mewtwo - More of a return, but the second most popular Pokemon on the planet(After Charizard)
  • Toad - Completes Mario Big 8 and the protagonist quad of SMB2, pushed forwards of recent with NSMB Wii/U/LuigiU and 3D World. Hugely recognised character, next most important Mario character, etc
  • Bowser Jr. - Second most important antagonist of Mario series
  • Meowth - Iconic Pokemon that will remain important thanks to the anime until the seas burn and the mountains crumble. Arguably the only real possible antagonist of Pokemon overall providing you don't count Mewtwo as such.
  • Little Mac - Punch Out!!'s finest.
  • Isaac - Golden Sun's finest.
  • Samurai Goroh - Completes the rival matchups in the Melee intro
  • Mii: Regardless of what we think, Mii's are a huge deal. (Not a character though)
  • Shulk - New franchise, very popular, etc
  • Bandanna Dee - Probably the next most important Kirby character
  • Duck Hunt Dog - Most recognised retro character bar none. Seriously.
Dillon MAY be a future big name and deserves to be at least considered too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
  • Ridley - Most important antagonist of Metroid
  • K. Rool - Most important antagonist of Donkey Kong Country series
  • Dixie - Tritagonist, protagonist of two DKC games
  • Mewtwo - More of a return, but the second most popular Pokemon on the planet(After Charizard)
  • Toad - Completes Mario Big 8 and the protagonist quad of SMB2, pushed forwards of recent with NSMB Wii/U/LuigiU and 3D World. Hugely recognised character, next most important Mario character, etc
  • Bowser Jr. - Second most important antagonist of Mario series
  • Meowth - Iconic Pokemon that will remain important thanks to the anime until the seas burn and the mountains crumble. Arguably the only real possible antagonist of Pokemon overall providing you don't count Mewtwo as such.
  • Little Mac - Punch Out!!'s finest.
  • Isaac - Golden Sun's finest.
  • Samurai Goroh - Completes the rival matchups in the Melee intro
  • Mii: Regardless of what we think, Mii's are a huge deal. (Not a character though)
  • Shulk - New franchise, very popular, etc
  • Bandanna Dee - Probably the next most important Kirby character
  • Duck Hunt Dog - Most recognised retro character bar none. Seriously.
Dillon MAY be a future big name and deserves to be at least considered too.
I'd argue agains that Duck Hunt Dog part but I'd say that list plus Palutena and the current flavor of the month for Pokemon + Fire Emblem would be a pretty damn complete Smash Bros

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'd say Duckhunt is an iconic game. But the dog doesn't need a moveset. Nor does Nintendogs or Dr Kawashima. Out of all the series left, the only two iconic ones would be Punch-Out (Little Mac), Nintendo Wars and Golden Sun. I don't think getting all the iconic characters should be a priority though, it's characters that suit the game. Would prefer to see Saki or Ray over Dr Kawashima or Nintendogs. In a couple of years time I could see Monolith Soft, making a Nintendo iconic series too.
I guess that's your point of view, but I do think Dr. Kawashima and Nintendog does suit the Smash world very well and could have very fun movesets. For sure they are going to receive positive reaction (like WFT) if they are ever announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom