• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are all major tournaments streamed?

JehJehKeyblade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JehJehKeyblade2
Hello, I know this doesn't have to do with competitive maneuvers, or competitive attributes, but I do have a question about something competitively minor.

Are all the major tournaments streamed?

I ask this for reasons I will list below.

1) I'm afraid of large crowds.
I think failing while watched by the crowd would be scary enough. But the internet added is enough to give me a severe case of goosebumps.
2) Some rude commentary.
Let's say I pick a low tier or I preform badly. The commentators can say ANYTHING they want about me. And the whole stream will hear.
3) Being the victim of a meta-changing combo.
In short, I don't want to be cited as the first guy who was hit by the "Mew2King combo" or something along the lines of that name.
Lastly, 4) Being dissed behind my back.
Let's say I get stocked by Leffen or by Mew2King. During an interview later, the interviewer can say something like "Hey, you know how you -insert stock limit here- stocked JehJehKeyblade? What a bodying! He should go back to his school!"

In short, these reasons make me scared to enter big tournaments. But I wanna gain a rep that can land me in a Back Room or at least land me some recognition.

In short, are all big tournaments streamed?

TheASDF

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheASDF
Any one of a decent size should be, yeah, but all of your fears are completely unfounded. For one, if you really didn't want to, you could simply request to not play on the stream setup, unless you start making it to finals or something. But even then, realize that nobody really cares about the loser, especially if it's from a known name. If M2K bodies you, well, nobody will think twice of it because M2K bodies everybody. If you get bodied by a nobody, well, they're a nobody anyway, so nobody really cares about them and by extension what they did to you.

On the other hand, being on stream can be a helpful experience. Going back and being able to watch your matches can be extremely helpful in determining what you're doing right or wrong. With the right commentators, they can potentially point out things you may not notice yourself as well. (You don't have to worry about them saying anything negative - at a large tournament, that shouldn't happen ever. Even at a local tourney, where quality control could be lessened, I'd still expect a level of human decency. If they're talking maliciously they're not worth mentioning anyway.)

More than anything, I think if you go to a tournament, you'll find that you'll have a lot of fun, learn a lot, and can hopefully meet some people and also assuage some of those fears you have, and make you more comfortable in the scene and encouraged to become a larger part of it. Best of luck!

Last edited:

JehJehKeyblade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JehJehKeyblade2
Any one of a decent size should be, yeah, but all of your fears are completely unfounded. For one, if you really didn't want to, you could simply request to not play on the stream setup, unless you start making it to finals or something. But even then, realize that nobody really cares about the loser, especially if it's from a known name. If M2K bodies you, well, nobody will think twice of it because M2K bodies everybody. If you get bodied by a nobody, well, they're a nobody anyway, so nobody really cares about them and by extension what they did to you.

On the other hand, being on stream can be a helpful experience. Going back and being able to watch your matches can be extremely helpful in determining what you're doing right or wrong. With the right commentators, they can potentially point out things you may not notice yourself as well. (You don't have to worry about them saying anything negative - at a large tournament, that shouldn't happen ever. Even at a local tourney, where quality control could be lessened, I'd still expect a level of human decency. If they're talking maliciously they're not worth mentioning anyway.)

More than anything, I think if you go to a tournament, you'll find that you'll have a lot of fun, learn a lot, and can hopefully meet some people and also assuage some of those fears you have, and make you more comfortable in the scene and encouraged to become a larger part of it. Best of luck!
You know, if I do enter a tournament, I'll try to think about what you've said. My fears have been preventing me from entering Super Smash Con. I'll attempt to go now actually. I'm sorry for assuming my experience would be that way.
And if I don't go, it's because I'm not old enough to have a car, and won't have a ride. That would be my first MAJOR tournament actually.

Top Bottom