• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

April 18th Waco Tournament Brawl+!! (Official Waco Brawl Thread)

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
According to AllisBrawl you're having problems finding a venue; have you found one yet?

If not, try giving the Game Closet a call. I used to go play Magic tournaments there every once in a while and the place is great for gaming.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
According to AllisBrawl you're having problems finding a venue; have you found one yet?

If not, try giving the Game Closet a call. I used to go play Magic tournaments there every once in a while and the place is great for gaming.
I think Shiken already called them and they said no (They used to hold A LOT of people for the magic tourneys, don't know why they can't host us.)

And about the website Rain: I am still working on making it function well. I have been very busy and I am going of vacation tomorrow but I will try to get a copy of it to Shiken before I leave.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
When do you think you guys will be having another tourney? in person?
Still trying to get a venue. IDK about when we might hold one, it is delayed right now so far until we can get a real place.

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
So the thing that is listed on allisbrawl as being this Sunday is delayed until further notice, correct?

I'm going to suggest trying indie Pizza places. I didnt think it would work, but they did one in Tulsa at Joe Momma's Pizza. They just took over half the store, rearranaged the tables and brought the setups in.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Guys this upcoming tournament is gonna be important if you want to get a spot for Houston; Top 7 WACO entrants will get first pick on seats to Houston. (I said Waco entrants because there will be a group of guys coming down from Dallas and it would make no sense to offer to give them a ride, we would have to backtrack too far.)

Doesn't matter if you place 1st or 10th, as long as you are one of the top 7 for Waco, then you get first pick on whether you want to go to Houston. The rest of the info is on AiB in the link Shiken has provided, you guys just need to show up to the tourney.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Hobo 8 is happening in houston. I'll be providing carpool in my van, which has 7 seats, so the top 6 people (other than me) in my tournamnet this weekend get first dibs on the other 6 seats. of course, we'll split gas cost evenly or something as well.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
I've updated the first post of the thread to include information about our next waco tournament.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
Shiken: I suggest making an attendee list in the OP. This will let other players know the number of players showing along with an estimated time length of the tourny.

edit: count me in

Santi

Smash Lord
Yea an attendee list would be nice. San Angelo will try to make it.

Also whats the deal on the entree fee?
because Allisbrawl doesn't mach the entry fees on the first page.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
depending on how much d4ba charges for gas i might be in attendance.

i hope to see san angelo there too!

PS: i'm eating a pb&j sandwich!

Santi

Smash Lord
depending on how much d4ba charges for gas i might be in attendance.

i hope to see san angelo there too!

PS: i'm eating a pb&j sandwich!
It better be loaded with some grape jelly Fogo

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You guys should come to my tournament, spend the night, then stop by waco on your way home for thier tournament. It's perfect :).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Rainbow Cruise is banned?

Wtf?

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
I don't like including rainbow cruise anytime there's a time limit in matches. If this was online and no time limit sure rainbow cruise'd be in.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't like including rainbow cruise anytime there's a time limit in matches. If this was online and no time limit sure rainbow cruise'd be in.
That doesn't make any sense...Matches on RC usually go much faster then matches on nuetral stages. The stage itself forces you to approach your opponent.

It's a very common stage. I have never been to a tournament where RC was banned and I travel a ton :/. It's an extremly good counterpick stage against characters like Snake and IC's and I cannot fathom a reason that it should be banned.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
You make a very convincing argument by telling me its good against snake and IC, two of my most hated opponents. xD

But no, I really don't like to include gimmicky stages, and while it's true that it CAN force you to approach your opponent, it encourages running away just as much, which could leading to questionable stalling. Perhaps for next month's tournament I'll put it to a vote whether it should be included or not...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You make a very convincing argument by telling me its good against snake and IC, two of my most hated opponents. xD

But no, I really don't like to include gimmicky stages, and while it's true that it CAN force you to approach your opponent, it encourages running away just as much, which could leading to questionable stalling. Perhaps for next month's tournament I'll put it to a vote whether it should be included or not...
What exactly about the stage is gimmiky? It's exactly the same as melee save the fact that you can't fall through the falling blocks anymore. And in melee it was never banned.

The stage has like...0 hazards and has all the components of a perfect counterpick stage. There is only one character that is good at camping on RC and that is Pit. Everyone else is pretty much impossibile to camp with there. If you are being camped, then you seriously don't know the stage layout.

Also, a lot of gay things like ledge camping don't exist on RC.

RC is the perfect stage to pick against characters with good CGs like ICs and Falco or characters with a bad air game like Snake.

Looking at these stages, no one is going to have a place to CP my ICs >_>. Everything is flat lol.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
All of this is very true. In addition, RC is also a very good R.O.B. stage against snake. R.O.B. can force players to approach his strong keepaway game on Rainbow Cruise. By removing RC, the list of CP stages going for R.O.B. is getting reduced. Not that I care so much about the character; I just would like more options given to my opponents.

Fwiw, I really like your conservative CP list.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well Shiken, I have always been bugging you to add RC and others to the selection and now Hylian comes in here and says the same thing. So Rainbow Cruise is in, I think it's reasonable... It's not like they want 75m or Hannebow in. :)

I vote to have Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Green Greens, and Pirate Ship added as counter picks, and Lylat Cruise as a neutral. Does anyone else feel those stages should be added? (No Shiken I'm not starting a riot, but I do think those should be added to the list you already made.)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Alright, I guess I'll allow RC, but im not gonna even consider those others.
Lylat still should be added, even if you don't add GG, Pirate Ship, or LM.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yay RC!

I'm done bugging you now lol.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
Lylat still should be added, even if you don't add GG, Pirate Ship, or LM.
I have arguments against GG, pirate ship, Luigi's Mansion and Norfair being counterpick stages. If you care to hear them, throw me a pm.

Lylat is an obvious counterpick stage. The stage gives a disadvantage towards projectile users. Neutral aka starter stages should have even advantages towards both players. Lylat, is not as close to an even advantageous stage as you may think.

Santi

Smash Lord
I'll be there.

But Favre is now a New York Jet
:/

and its playing a massive mindgame on me.

I'll probably just play Charizard in honor or number 4.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have arguments against GG, pirate ship, Luigi's Mansion and Norfair being counterpick stages. If you care to hear them, throw me a pm.

Lylat is an obvious counterpick stage. The stage gives a disadvantage towards projectile users. Neutral aka starter stages should have even advantages towards both players. Lylat, is not as close to an even advantageous stage as you may think.
I already know most of the arguments for the CP stages I mentioned, and I can see why people would want them banned, but they also have good reasons to be counter picks.

It's not my decision in the end on what stages get in or not though, and the reality is that Shiken will probably take your side and not include them, but no harm done.

IDK Lylat seems pretty well balanced, the only offbeat thing about it is the occasional slanting. There doesn't seem to be that big of a reason to warrant it a counter pick instead of a neutral.

BF doesn't help most projectile users and Smashville hurts them a bit too, same for Yoshi's Island (Brawl). Those are generally considered to be neutral even though they aren't the most suitable place for someone to fire projectiles. I think a stage would have to have a really noticeable effect on projectiles (Luigi's Mansion, RC) for you to qualify it as CP based mostly on the projectile hindering, but that's just my opinion.

Like I said before, it won't be my decision and I'm not gonna quarrel over a minor difference from neutral to counter pick, so it's fine whatever Shiken decides on.

I can't wait for the 17th to come already.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Yay RC!

I'm done bugging you now lol.
yeah yeah i guess i see the advantages of it now, i took the time to practice on it a bit the past week, but im still pretty iffy on it, rainbow cruise be a fickle mistress, and loves to present solid platforms for dedede to hit his head on >_>

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Results:

1st: Hylian
2nd: Dr. Mario guy
3rd: D4ba

Anyone have full results? >_>. You should make a results topic.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Results:

1st: Hylian
2nd: Dr. Mario guy
3rd: D4ba

Anyone have full results? >_>. You should make a results topic.
Shiken uploaded the results to AiB but yeah it would be nice to have it already on Smashboards. I'll bug him to either post the results in here regularly or I'll make a new thread posting past and current Waco tourney results.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
1: Hylian
2: SmashinDude
3: D4ba
4: blast_2020
5: Fogo
5: Santi
7: Dojo
7: Forsaken
9: LEONARD BROWN JR
9: thebadnewsbear06
9: Shiken
9: DLL$
13: Jacob Brown
13: Cheez

i did awful =( it's all fogo's fault! xD

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I made a results thread for shoutouts and stuff >_>.

Top Bottom