• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 5, 2014] Xanadu Legends 1 ft. Melee and Project M (Halethorpe, MD)

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
PRESENTING:
Xanadu Legends!

Also, it should be noted that homemade chocolate chip cookies will be provided. I know that everyone loves cookies, so come enjoy some.
Location: Xanadu Games (thread has the address info! If Baltimore doesn't work as the city address, try using Halethorpe or Arbutus. This really isn't within "Baltimore" per se.) Should be easy to find. Xanadu is the premiere spot for Smash in MD/VA and always has the hottest livestreams. We are known for the S@X tuesdays, and we have a monthly.

Games: Project M and Super Smash Bros. Melee

Schedule:

11:00am Venue Opens
12:30pm PM Doubles Starts (strict)
1:30pm Melee Doubles Starts (Strict)
3:00pm PM Singles Pools Start advancing to top 8 or 12
4:00pm Melee Singles Pools Start advancing to top 8 or 12
5:00pm PM Singles Bracket Begins, all sets best 3 of 5
6:00pm Melee Bracket Begins, all sets best 3 of 5

This gives everybody plenty of time to break for lunch/dinner etc. and also have a boat load of time for friendlies. Running teams simultaneously shouldn't be a problem, considering how teams usually goes around here. We should be able to go home plenty early. Taking signups simultaneously should help speed things up a bit too. If teams finish sooner, unlike other events, I'll stick to the schedule and run the events as planned here. With running just melee here, this should be a piece of cake to run smoothly, so I backed the starting time to 12:30 instead of 12.

We should be able to finish the event very early. The schedule will be very strict and official. If you're even a minute late, I won't allow you to participate. Don't test me!

Prices:

$10 Venue fee (First 2 setups PER GAME are $5 off venue, which will be returned upon completion of the event)
$10 Entry per person per event

Rules: These rules apply to all events, specific events below. If you have any questions about the rules, please ask up front rather than waiting till after a match to ask. It could be too late!

General Gameplay:

- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- All sets in bracket with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will be best of 3 matches. The finals matches will be a best of 5.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You may switch controller ports on your counterpick only.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller). I recommend having a spare, just in case. If you don't have one, I might have a few for sale.
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. If you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match. (if pause is on).
- Stalling is banned. You know what this is, ask if you're unsure.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose the game. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character. (This rarely, if ever, happens.)
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it.
- A match ending in simultaneous death does not go to the initiator. If the result is sudden death from this, use the normal tiebreaking rules (to follow) to determine the winner. Otherwise use who the game declared the winner.

- Coaching mid-match is banned. Don't do it.
- You cannot re-select a stage you have won on as a Counterpick in a set.
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal otherwise.
- Format will be Round Robin Pools advancing to Double Elimination Bracket. The people who do not make the final Double Elim Bracket will advance to amateur Bracket (no one is eliminated in Round Robins), and the Amateur Bracket will be Single Elim.

Set Procedure:

1. Character selection
2. Stage strike 1-2-X-1 (X representing the amount of stages per game, as P:M has more starters)

3. Play Game 1
4. Winning player announces ban stage (3 bans for PM) for the set
5. Loser of previous match announces next match's stage
6. Winner of previous match chooses characters
7. Loser of previous match chooses characters
8. Play next game
9. Rinse and repeat 4-8 if set goes to a third game.

Tie Breaking:

Note: Tiebreaking is only initiated if the game started a sudden death round upon completion. Otherwise, the game declared winner is the winner of the match.

1. Winner is determined by highest stock count then lowest percent.
2. 1 stock, 3 minute match is played as a tiebreaker match. The winner of this match wins the game. If there is a tie in this match, proceed to step 4.
3. A second 1 stock, no time limit match is played. If a simultaneous death is initiated (such as swallocide) in this match, the initiator loses the match. There is no tie for this match, it is play until you win.

Conduct Rules:

- 4 stock
- 8 minute timer

- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol are banned from Xanadu. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll send you home packing.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match. This can result in a penalty at T.O.'s discretion.
- Don't lose anything you're bringing to the event please, we are not liable for lost/stolen etc.
- TAC Rule: Any attempt at intentional rigging the bracket, splitting, etc. throughout the duration of any event will not only result in DQ from your match, but also forfeiture of any winnings you may have earned, and expulsion from any other events going on in the venue, including the one you attempted to collude in.
- TTL Rule: You must register for the event in person, on-time. Once the registration deadline is closed, no further entries will be permitted. Do not try to call me in advance to hold the bracket.

Melee ONLY rules:

- 1 stage ban except for 3 of 5 sets

- Starter Stages:

Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land 64

- Counterpick stages

Pokemon Stadium

- Doubles stage changes

Pokemon Stadium is a Starter
Fountain of Dreams is banned

Kongo Jungle 64 is a CP

PM ONLY rules:

- 3 bans instead of 1 ban for stages

- Starter Stages

Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dream Land 64
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story

- Counterpick Stages

Distant Planet
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island
Halberd
Castle Siege
Warioware
Green Hill Zone
Lylat Cruise

- Doubles Stage Changes:

Fountain of Dreams, and Yoshi's Story are banned
Distant Planet and Yoshi's Island are starters

Prize Payouts:

Singles Payouts:

1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Doubles Payouts:

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Top 6 in both games earn some cash. Good luck.

Food Nearby:

I will be selling Pizza at the venue (Domino's) for $1 per slice. This should help out for people who don't know the area, don't have a car, etc.

All within close proximity is Chick-fil-A, McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's. There is also a pizza place that delivers that everyone is extremely fond off, as well as Chinese take out. Xanadu should have the chinese and pizza place order list right there at the counter if you want something.

This event will be livestreamed.

Hope EVERYONE can make it out! This event will be one to remember. I'm already gathering OoS support for this so be ready! I look forward to seeing YOU there. Remember to check out the following pages:

www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp- your (regular) Xanadu stream source
www.twitter.com/xanadugames- follow them as they are our gracious hosts!
www.twitter.com/thetantalus- ask me if you have any questions
www.twitter.com/vgbootcamp- Their twitter

Oh yeah, and everyone make sure to use the new RSVP system within the new smashboards xenforo system, it's really helpful. If you reply at AiB, please do the same. It makes it easier for the bracket.

Last edited:

sharrrk

Smash Rookie
NNID
sharrrk
This'll be my first tournament, and a few friends will be coming as well. I'm curious when registration ends though, or at least is when it's expected to end. Don't want to drive out there and be unable to play, haha.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hi there-

Glad you're coming out! So registration is open until the event starts typically, where i'll usually make a last call. But typically, I start my registration a half hour before the event begins, so I recommend coming early. But if you can get there even earlier, that's even more beneficial as there are more chances for friendlies.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me at the venue. I'm a really tall white dude with glasses and i'll probably be yelling at everyone lol.

sharrrk

Smash Rookie
NNID
sharrrk
Something came up and now it isn't looking like we're gonna be able to go after all. Sorry for the confusion, and I hope the tournament goes well. Maybe we'll be able to show up some other time.

Top Bottom