• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South [Apr 4, 2015] Midstate Massacre 5 (Charlotte, NC)

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman

Tournament organized by myself, Nick Ewing, and members of UNCC's FGC student organization.
To contact me: 828.577.5503 - Facebook - or just message me here on smashboards

Facebook Event Page

Location/Parking
UNCC Student Union GHI Rooms
9201 University City Blvd,
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
UNCC on google maps
Campus map
Parking map

If you're using a GPS with google maps, typing in the actual deck you'd like to park in (i.e. Union Deck) as your destination will make navigating campus easier. If you are unable to do that I encourage you to look at the maps above ahead of time.
On campus parking is free on weekends (10:00 PM Friday - 8:00 AM Monday). On the map you can see the union deck and lot adjacent to the union. This is the easiest place to park.
The best place to park if you are bringing in setups is the top level of the Union Deck.

Note: there are ATMs in the student union.

[COLLAPSE=MAP/PICTURES]

^The main entrance, noted by hella columns and a big concrete sign

^Student union, the venue, seen from the front.

^This picture shows a walkway connecting the top level of the deck to the union- this will be the easiest way to bring in setups, short of dropping someone off in front of the union on Craver Road to carry them in.

^Red line route from the main entrance to the parking/venue:
-Straight through 1st roundabout
-Left onto University Road at 1st stop sign
-Right onto Cameron Blvd at 1st light.
-You will hit a stop sign shortly, go straight through the intersection.
-Turn right onto Student Union Lane to access the parking deck.
[/COLLAPSE]

Events, Entry Caps, Rules
Melee doubles: 32 team cap
Melee singles: 100 man cap
Project: M singles: 64 man cap

Melee singles and doubles will use Apex rules
PM will use the NC PM panel rules
[COLLAPSE=NC PM Panel Rules]
ProjectM - Version 3.5
4 stocks, 8 minutes, best of 3 (Finals are best of 5)
Items off, input buffer off
Timeout - Winner determined by stocks->%->1 stock 3 minute match
No Giga Bowser

PM Stage Selection:
RPS to determine who goes first
1-2-1 striking
Starters: Yoshi Story, Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Smashville, Dreamland
Counterpicks: Warioware, Final Destination, Norfair, Fountain of Dreams, Green Hill Zone
Winner bans 2 stages.
[/COLLAPSE]

Time constraints for handwarmers and counterpicking (all events):
Handwarmers are allowed before the set starts (not between matches), and are restricted to 60 seconds. Watch the clock, quit out when a minute has passed.
Time between games for counterpicking is limited to 90 seconds. If the counterpicking player has not announced their intent on character switching and stage choice before 90 seconds have passed, their opponent holds the right to start the next match on the stage that was struck to at the beginning of the set, in which case the loser of the last match is character locked.
I realize that these rules will be difficult for TOs to enforce, and the situations they concern are unlikely to frequently present a problem. It is still important to have them in place, to be enforced when necessary, for the sake of completing the event on time. I'm trusting the players here to conform to these rules and counterpick in a timely manner. If your opponent is obviously taking too long or if you suspect they might, please remind them of these rules, watch the clock, and try to get a witness if you think the situation will need to be brought to a TOs attention for the rule to be enforced.

Schedule
11:00: doors open, check-in and registration for all games begins
12:30: Melee doubles & PM registration/check-in ends
1:00: Melee doubles & PM begins [PM matches will only be called for players who did not enter/are eliminated from doubles]
2:30: Melee singles registration/check-in ends
3:00: Melee singles begins
3:00-4:30: Pools wave 1
4:30-6:00: Pools wave 2
6:30: Top 16

This schedule is subject to change until the week of the tournament. In the event we are ahead of schedule and start an event early, you will not be DQ'd until after the time listed on the schedule. An event will only start before the scheduled end of its registration time if it has hit entry cap.

Late Arrival Policy
If you are preregistered and find that you might not be able to arrive until after check-in for your event starts, you will still be placed into bracket if you contact me before the cutoff time. Your match will be treated like any other, with disqualification taking place at the appropriate time. If you are disqualified from winners and show up in time to play in losers, you will still be required to pay normal entry/venue (venue waiver for prereg/setups still applies). However, if you are late and did not contact me about it, you will not be entered into the bracket at all.This prevents us from filling the bracket with non-matches and waiting out full DQ times for players who have no intention of showing up.

Fees/Payouts
$10 event entry

$10 venue fee:
$5 off for preregistering, $3 off for bringing a CRT, $2 off for bringing a console + game.
I really don't want anyone to pay the full venue fee, definitely not more than $5. Preregister!

<16 Entrants
1st:
60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%

16-32 Entrants
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
4th: 10%

33-64 Entrants
1st: 45%
2nd: 20%
5th: 5% each

> 64 Entrants
1st: 40%
2nd: 20%
5th: 5% each
7th: 2.5% each

Preregistration
Registration ends Thursday, April 2nd at 8:00am

Preregister HERE! I don't want anyone to have to pay the $5 door registration! Save yourself some money and help us organize all events to the best of our ability before the tournament even starts. You'll notice the form asks about details like what setups you will be bringing and who you are car pooling with. Please don't hold off on registering if you aren't sure of any of that. There will be an update form that you can fill out if anything changes, and feel free to keep in touch with me as your plans change. The more we know about attendees and resources ahead of time the better, especially about setups.

Sponsors
I'm proud to announce our official sponsor for the event, Save Point Video Games! Thanks to them, everyone who preregisters will be entered into a raffle to win either a MSM5 t-shirt (pictured) or drawstring bag.

Additionally, GCS Gaming Customs will be there and everyone who preregisters will be entered into a raffle for a controller.

Dining
On Campus:
Student Union (the venue) 1st floor:
Wendy's (11:00 AM - 11:00PM)
Outtakes (snacks, sandwiches, etc.) (10:30 AM - 11:00 PM)
Off Campus
Smoothie King
Cookout
Chipotle
IHOP

Last edited:

SoapBar

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if it's not listed or I can't see it but what games are gonna be there.?

NTG

Smash Cadet
Seriously excited for this. Also, if there are more than 48 PM entrants (wouldn't surprise me honestly) would you kick up the cap to 64? Or is that not happening regardless? I preregistered, so it doesn't really affect me, but then again I don't know how many people have signed up for PM yet so maybe 64 is crazy talk.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Seriously excited for this. Also, if there are more than 48 PM entrants (wouldn't surprise me honestly) would you kick up the cap to 64? Or is that not happening regardless? I preregistered, so it doesn't really affect me, but then again I don't know how many people have signed up for PM yet so maybe 64 is crazy talk.
The fact is that Melee is the priority. My goal for this tournament is to create a structure that can support a very large Melee singles tournament, and cutting down on the crossover between Melee and PM by reducing PM is part of that plan.

NTG

Smash Cadet
The fact is that Melee is the priority. My goal for this tournament is to create a structure that can support a very large Melee singles tournament, and cutting down on the crossover between Melee and PM by reducing PM is part of that plan.
Fine by me, it's a lot of people so less people in the PM bracket would make it run smoother I'm sure. Thanks for organizing this, I'll make sure to bring a setup

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Are you aware of any big names possibly coming to this tourney?
Not yet. They still have 2 months to decide, of course. Notable people who have attended MSM in the past include PP, ESAM, $Mike, Twitch, and every currently PR'd player except upke. I hope to see them back, we'll find out soon enough.

Foo

Smash Lord
errrrrrrrrmmmm....

I really don't like that PM singles is so low priority, especially since it actually got more entrants last time (only by one, but still). PM needs more love. If melee hits far enough below the cap (which I bet it will), will PM's cap be raised?

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
errrrrrrrrmmmm....

I really don't like that PM singles is so low priority, especially since it actually got more entrants last time (only by one, but still). PM needs more love. If melee hits far enough below the cap (which I bet it will), will PM's cap be raised?
You know what needs love? Smash 4.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Rules updated with specifics about time constraints for handwarmers and counterpicking. As I've stated, these are difficult to enforce and will rarely need to be, but I feel it's important to have specific rules in place. We've had issues in the past with extremely extended sets, due in part to unreasonable amount of time between games. Hopefully these rules will bring that issue to the attention of the entrants, and act as a guideline that everyone will follow so these issues don't persist.

Time constraints for handwarmers and counterpicking (all events):
Handwarmers are allowed before the set starts (not between matches), and are restricted to 60 seconds. Watch the clock, quit out when a minute has passed.
Time between games for counterpicking is limited to 90 seconds. If the counterpicking player has not announced their intent on character switching and stage choice before 90 seconds have passed, their opponent holds the right to start the next match on the stage that was struck to at the beginning of the set, in which case the loser of the last match is character locked.
I realize that these rules will be difficult for TOs to enforce, and the situations they concern are unlikely to frequently present a problem. It is still important to have them in place, to be enforced when necessary, for the sake of completing the event on time. I'm trusting the players here to conform to these rules and counterpick in a timely manner. If your opponent is obviously taking too long or if you suspect they might, please remind them of these rules, watch the clock, and try to get a witness if you think the situation will need to be brought to a TOs attention for the rule to be enforced.

Last edited:

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I was actually planning an event already. We will see how it turns out, it's not an easy endeavor.
You are the kinda of person I like. I have this pet-peeve of people who say things like "You should host ______ or _______" and "It's your fault as a TO that doesn't want to host ________ that it isn't growing or getting love." You took initiative to start hosting said game yourself. Thank you, I wish more people who said those types of comments were like you

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
You are the kinda of person I like. I have this pet-peeve of people who say things like "You should host ______ or _______" and "It's your fault as a TO that doesn't want to host ________ that it isn't growing or getting love." You took initiative to start hosting said game yourself. Thank you, I wish more people who said those types of comments were like you
I completely agree with you, and I was talking with my friends about how there aren't all that many Smash 4 events around Charlotte. So we started planning our own event out. Problem is it's a bit expensive and gathering all the needed setups is no joke, but that's enough off-topic discussion for this thread, ha.

I appreciate the comment though.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I completely agree with you, and I was talking with my friends about how there aren't all that many Smash 4 events around Charlotte. So we started planning our own event out. Problem is it's a bit expensive and gathering all the needed setups is no joke, but that's enough off-topic discussion for this thread, ha.

I appreciate the comment though.
I'm actually having Smash 4 at my next bi-weekly called Mute City II. I'll be putting up the smashboards post on Friday :)

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
One month out! Current registrants:
Melee singles: 23
Melee doubles: 15 individuals
Project M: 22
Unique: 32

Remember, prereg ends the morning of April 2nd (Thursday before the tournament). Save yourself $5!

Also of note: late arrival policy has been added to the schedule section of the OP.

Last edited:

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
OP updated: PM cap raised from 48 to 64, and PM start time/check-in cutoff made earlier. Many of you have stated your intention to bring setups already so I believe we can do this, keep up the help with setups, especially TVs!

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
OP updated: PM cap raised from 48 to 64, and PM start time/check-in cutoff made earlier. Many of you have stated your intention to bring setups already so I believe we can do this, keep up the help with setups, especially TVs!
So if I have one full setup does that mean my bro and I won't get venue fee off?

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
OP updated with sponsors and raffle info! Remember you have less than a week to preregister, preregistration ends 8:00am Thursday!

Reasons to preregister:
-Waive $5 from your venue fee
-Be entered to win a custom painted controller, an MSM5 t-shirt, or an MSM5 drawstring bag
-Help us get this thing started on time and efficiently

Your numbers one week out:
72 unique
54 Melee singles
29 individuals Melee doubles
41 Project M

WeActOnImpulse

Smash Rookie
I was actually planning an event already. We will see how it turns out, it's not an easy endeavor.
Yo dawg, If you set up a Sm4sh event i'll bring a Wii U, Sm4sh, some controllers and a CRT. PM me if you do it.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Midstate Massacre will not be running a sm4sh side event due to time and original planning of not having one. Sorry bro :(
I've heard some talk of people bringing a sm4sh setup. I don't have a problem with this IF there's enough space/outlets for it without taking away from the games we're actually running. A side event wouldn't be a good idea because choosing to play sm4sh when your Melee/PM match is called could be grounds for disqualification from the Melee/PM bracket.

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
I've heard some talk of people bringing a sm4sh setup. I don't have a problem with this IF there's enough space/outlets for it without taking away from the games we're actually running. A side event wouldn't be a good idea because choosing to play sm4sh when your Melee/PM match is called could be grounds for disqualification from the Melee/PM bracket.
He was asking if he could bring it to add a sm4sh side event. I was saying if he did, there still would not be a side event if he brought it. idk if he would be allowed to set it up or not just for friendlies though

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
He was asking if he could bring it to add a sm4sh side event. I was saying if he did, there still would not be a side event if he brought it. idk if he would be allowed to set it up or not just for friendlies though
What I'm saying is I won't tell people they can't set up a sm4sh setup unless it's taking away from space and outlets we need for Melee/PM setups, which is honestly very likely. There is space in the hallway/surrounding area of the rooms we have reserved that people could use for a setup.
That being said, sm4sh is not being run at this event. Whether or not someone runs a side event, unless they are interfering with my events, is beyond my control. DQing people who choosing to participate in an unofficial sm4sh event instead of showing up on time for there Melee/PM matches is within my control (and necessary for the efficiency of the event), so people need to be responsible if they want to play sm4sh.

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
What I'm saying is I won't tell people they can't set up a sm4sh setup unless it's taking away from space and outlets we need for Melee/PM setups, which is honestly very likely. There is space in the hallway/surrounding area of the rooms we have reserved that people could use for a setup.
That being said, sm4sh is not being run at this event. Whether or not someone runs a side event, unless they are interfering with my events, is beyond my control. DQing people who choosing to participate in an unofficial sm4sh event instead of showing up on time for there Melee/PM matches is within my control (and necessary for the efficiency of the event), so people need to be responsible if they want to play sm4sh.
Makes sense and I 100% agreee

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Less than 19 hours left, you must preregister before tomorrow morning!

If you aren't sure if you're coming, please register anyway and cancel as soon as you decide not to come. Removing you from the bracket is much more efficient than day of registration.

Make sure you and your doubles team mate have both specified each other. Otherwise there's very little we can about seeding/bracket creation ahead of time and your doubles preregistration isn't much help.

You can edit your prereg with this change form. you may submit it as many times as you need.

Last edited:

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
AFTERMATH AND FEEDBACK*******

Many people will agree with me that this tournament was ran great and terrible at the same time.
Pros-
Nice Venue
Skill level was excellent(Except PPMD not showing up)
Streaming
Raffles and GCS's setup
The amount of setups was amazing

CONS-
THE TIMEMING- I am sorry but the schedule was absolute ****. It ran a lot later then it should have and myself (along with other people in my bracket and others) should not have to wait for 3 and hours to play one tournament match. The TO'S for future reference should not priotize melee doubles over PM and they should allow players to play both at once. This setback the tourney a long ass time for some people.
SEEDING- The seeding for Project M was absolute jank. Just because stingers and archer is number one, does not mean they should make the seeding for the tournament. They need to include people who do not register early for seeding. It was **** Karma and Izzy played round one, Based on how you judged my skill, me second round, Glish third round, and then tah fourth round. Fourth round was not even winners quarters so kinda jank. 4 people who are top 15 in NC for PM should not happen.
Can not really say anything about melee seeding as there are so many good people that play melee :)

This is my feedback so if you disagree explain why. Do not be that guy that says your wrong without explaination.

SHOUTOUTZ to the 11 year old and 12 year old. Those kids are gonna be amazing when they get older

Top Bottom