• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Ness - Help

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Yeah I'm back again, and I'm still messin around with Ness.

But lately it seems that I cant get anything done with Ness.

. . . . see, it's not that I dont have any approaches, I just think they're not working cause my friends used to em, and I feel kinda stuck cause I dunno what else to do.

I use

djc fair
shffl fair
djc bair
dash attack
JC u.smash (rarely)

__

I dunno, when I play any other character, it just seems as if I have options that work.

I wouldnt go as far as to say i'm uncomfortable with ness. I've been playin him for a couple of months now, so I think im OK. And ffs, i've been playing kirby for like 3 weeks and can get more done, so I think something's wrong on my end.

__

Yeah, i got the "mindgames" working, but im not a fan on relying on mindgames.

Leaves too much of an x factor, being "can you get in your opponent's head?"

__

As for spacing, it's not pin-point; but on the other end of that, im not talking about me getting punished.

I can keep myself fairly safe regardless of how bad my spacing is.

I just simply have a problem generating offense.

__

Sooooooo any advice?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
usually i stick with fair of dash attack, but you have to mix it up.

not using mindgames... I'm pretty sure that's your problem. you have to DD, WD your way into a combo starter.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Im not saying i DONT use mindgames, but i'm saying i dont like the idea of

everytime i go in i have to wavedash constantly and make them throw something and miss. I dont really like that idea.

Granted it has to be done, i'd like to minimalize that as much as possible, because against certain characters (i.e. ganon, marth, peach) that's how you get in trouble.

__

I'm not looking for like, the "ultimate approach" or anything; It doesnt exist and I know it.

amished

Smash Cadet
Well, you have all the normal approaches, so just figuring out when to use them is all you need to do. Mindgames let you dictate when you can get into their area and smack them around, so if you don't rely on them, you won't reliably approach them.

There's not much else to say.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ness has hardly any approaches at all... Fair/ Running attack/ and maybe a pk fire. The only other thing I see is footcanceling which isn't foolproof. One of Ness' weaknesses against the top tiers is that he has no approach...

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Well, you're missing some options still that you can try, like nair approaches. PK fire is one I like trying, though lately I've been liking running in close and then going to dtilt instead of a grab, since if I get close enough to grab I'll get beat to it. There's always the full jump to DjC dair, but that one you need to watch for the opponent to use a move that's fairly punishable, so you don't come down to pain.

Livevil200

Smash Cadet
I sometimes have the same problem as you but here are some suggestions.

One is the foot cancel approach.

If your opponent is waiting to see what you do, start short hopping and foot cancelling, and then slowly get closer to them. As soong as your close enough to space a bat, come down and foot cancel next to them and bat with the c stick (so it comes out asap) or go for a grab. They'll think you'll face some lag from the foot stomp or they may just be confused because of your actions.

The next approach that i see you dont have and its instrumental that you have it is the Jump Cancelled grab.

Ness's grab game is GOOD. Learn to use it.
if they are use to you dashing to fAIR or dashattacking, then they probably respond to you by shield grabbing. There fore expect a shield. What you can do is run up to tehm, maybe wave dash a little, and then grab. Or even take a step further, confuse them into thinking you'll DJC fair. But instead dash, short hop a dair and cancel it into a grab.

Finally you can Crouch Cancel ness's bat, which is a good option.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
its only that bad if you dont Jump cancel it. Learn to JC it and you learn its great. Not shiek/marth level, but not impossible to work with nonetheless. Just be tricky with it. Dash Dance into it, or wave dash/pulsewalk into it. BTW this is livevil200, this is just going to be my new name.

Top Bottom