• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Marth

br!t

Smash Rookie
Great thread Emblem Lord! My Marth is so much better now I know his options for approaching, thanks a lot man...

Just a real quick question, what's the final word on approaching with Marth's DB? I think you had a discussion about it like on page 3, so what's the verdict? If properly spaced, is it a usable approach, or can it be shield-grabbed or CCed too easily?

Oh, and w00t! First post!

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
It's situational, if your trying to bait people to come in after the aerial (ie they are dash dancing around looking for a grab or to hit you after you shffl an aerial) then the autocancel is better. I would also say it's better when you do a nair after a throw (such as upthrow fox no DI, AC nair to ken combo). It isn't that good if your actually hitting them on the ground though, especially if your close to them. Occasionally the first part of the nair will miss and you will leave yourself open, and most people can shieldgrab you before you hit the ground. Making it so that your nair finishes at the ground leaves you less vulnerable if your hitting them with it.

Just remember that the Nair l-canceled has the same amount of lag as a Fair does. So you can still dash away, through them, dtilt. etc. as long as you l-cancel it correctly.

Edit: After watching FC, Pound 2, etc. videos I think it's safe to say that empty shffl's is a good tool for an approach and should be added with an explanation. When you mix these in between late fairs it can cause a multitude of problems for your opponent. M2k on occasion just sh, opponent rolls or spotdodges the supposed fair and M2k just grabs or fsmash ***** them. Watch overswarms montage of FC poor drephen lol.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Another trick in this is to make sure your reacting. I was in a stage where I was trying to learn my opponents patterns and try to counter them. But while I was thinking "oh this fox is gonna back air" and try to look for the bair then counter I would easily get hit by the bair, if I just reacted on my knowledge that he was gonna bair rather than look for it, I would have been much better off. If you know the Falco is gonna dash away to rshl you need to react quickly, don't look for it to happen.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Obviously me. Basically, I became the best at this game in a matter of minutes. I watched Ken's vids, and then I became the best.

Seriously though, I have a ?. It seems when I approach with fairs, I get hit in between my fairs, or when I land. Any advice?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Are you asking about double fairs or shuffled fairs. Seems like both.

It is possible for Marth to get hit between double fairs. Space yourself better to avoid this or jump after a shielded fair. You can also try doing a uair after a shielded fair. The uair arc starts in front of Marth not behind like a fair. So you will probably beat a retaliation attempt on your opponents part.

If you are getting hit aftera shuffled fair something is very wrong. It's very hard tp punish Marth after a shuffled fair since he can do quite a bit to avoid punishment after landing.

1) He can buffer a roll.

2) Short hop backwards Fair or Nair.

3) Buffer a spot dodge.

4) Dash. (This is a very big deal.)

5) Do an attack. (Preferably a d-tilt)

Experiment with those 5 examples and see what works for you. Although eventually you should be using all of them and know when to use them to get the most out of the situation.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Yeah, EL thanks. I usually Dtilt after a fair, but if I space the fair wrong then my dtilt will get shieldgrabbed, so usually I spotdodge. This is only when I hit their shield though. If they just wait for me to land and run up and grab me, most of the time they will get the grab off. I do it to people to though. I think it's just all spacing, and stupidity on me. Like if I see someone DD'ing, for some reason sometimes I fair...Then they grab me when they land haha. I just can't be stupid like that anymore. It doesn't happen too much, but yeah thanks for the advice.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I understand what you mean, the biggest mistake a lot of people make is when they do shffls when there is like 90% gaurantee that the opponent is just gonna dash away. This has to do with not observing. Does your opponent always dash away when you approach? Then you want to dash further than normal then follorw it up with a grab or w/e. Or empty shff waveland to Fsmash or w/e. As for the spacing after a dtilt. I don't know the frame specifics but as long as you utilize the IASA frames of the dtilt you have a decent chance of dashing away or behind the opponent before a grab can get you. You can also just buffer a roll or dash behind the opponent if you know your spacing is off as long as you shffl correctly.

_fenix_pa_

Smash Rookie
umm... I just have one thing to add, and I do it alot against more offensive people.. I waveshield into a shieldgrab sometimes as an approach, just fogured I might add that.. sry if it was mentioned already

skrach8

Smash Lord
so i was reading the thing bout the auto canceled nair. cant u do the same thing with ever air but the dair? Basically all of his airs are done before he gets the to floor.

so u can fast fall them once u get to a certain point and theyll become auto cancelled

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I could test this, but I think it would only work with fair and nair. And it's only really useful with nair.

Dair and uair last too long to be auto cancelled I think.

Zoomzoomkid111

Smash Cadet
As for the Dash Attack method, I find it's only good for starting combos if your opponent already has around 50% damage. It's probably the #1 way to get caught in a chain of grabs, well... for me it is anyways :p

Hey guys, another great thing to do with Marth is CAMP, and use his ridiculous range to wait for your opponent. Works fairly decently if you're patient enough. Ken used to do it all the time. Now of course, once your opponent is near to you you'll probably have to use one of the mentioned tactics in here, but hey camping's useful, but not against everybody.

There's a few other methods which you left out other than camping and waiting, but those are the basic ones to use. Nice thread.

And if you want to do a nair with absolutely no lag on the end of it, then try doing it with up on the joystick instead of y or x, because the way the buttons are set up, you can't really press y or x and still press A at the same time, because you almost have to push them at the exact same time. Very, very small difference in timing.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Hey guys, another great thing to do with Marth is CAMP, and use his ridiculous range to wait for your opponent. Works fairly decently if you're patient enough. Ken used to do it all the time. Now of course, once your opponent is near to you you'll probably have to use one of the mentioned tactics in here, but hey camping's useful, but not against everybody.

There's a few other methods which you left out other than camping and waiting, but those are the basic ones to use. Nice thread.

And if you want to do a nair with absolutely no lag on the end of it, then try doing it with up on the joystick instead of y or x, because the way the buttons are set up, you can't really press y or x and still press A at the same time, because you almost have to push them at the exact same time. Very, very small difference in timing.
1. Auto Cancel nair has 4 frames of lag, not 0
2. What approaches did he miss? I would like to know.
3. You don't have to press a and jump at the same time

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
Something just hit my mind, so this approach is from scratch.

Wavedash/Shuffled (?) Counter Attack

This can only be done when your Marth is at a high percentage, as opponents focus more on hitting you, rather than grabbing you. The title of this says it all. For the most part, Marth seems to be able to Wavedash or Shuffle (?) a Counter attack to your opponents. This approach is used for situations like Marth vs Marth and the like. If someone is about to finish you off with a Smash attack or something, you can approach like this to avoid getting hit. Although this move is very punishable, some opponents don't predict this, and again, this is only used for situational purposes.

I know this approach is kinda lame, but I made it from scratch so... easy with the suggestions and comments.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I could test this, but I think it would only work with fair and nair. And it's only really useful with nair.

Dair and uair last too long to be auto cancelled I think.
I'm pretty sure your right on both of those accounts. You can jump out of a sh bair though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it can auto-cancel. You would have to wait a decent amount of time before fastfalling though.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
being gone for a few months makes some major changes eh?

my home computer won't let me log on anymore, nothing I've tired works, I'm on a computer from college.

Emblem, tell me how much you missed me.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Didn't you hear? Cactuar made a thread to end all threads. The true source for the answers to all questions related to Marth, Life, and everything in between.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Then why aren't you gone?

lol.

Yes, leave jersey and go back to the boonies.

lmao.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Apparently... Philadelphia is the boonies?

It's funny because you laugh at your own "jokes" like that irl too...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I said nothing of Philly. I'm talking about Pennsylvania as a whole as I thought you orginally were.

Silly Cactuar and your assumptions.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
OMG!!!

You TSA scrubs just keep coming don't you?!

Up smash? Isn't that the move that the crappy green Marth guy who thinks he is witty and attractive uses all the time?

(Tries to devert attention from the fact that I don't know how to u-smash.)

Top Bottom