• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching at low %

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm having some issues with approaching while my opponents is at low percent. I feel like I have problems until f-tilt provides sufficient knockback for consistent follow-ups. This holds especially true against characters like Marth who are difficult to outspace.

Should the mindset just be poke poke poke with f-tilt/d-smash or are there more elegant options? Obviously baiting>grab or sh aerial exists but what about when trying to take control of the neutral game?

Edit: then again, maybe I'm just too aggressive in these situations?

:phone:

Cinbad

Smash Cadet
I prefer the poke poke poke method. Downsmashes and f-tilts make for really good approaches and allow you to wavedash out if you don't like the situation. I tend to only use grabs to set up kills, unless i'm against an easily chaingrab-able character like pikachu

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
cinbad, luigi's butter is his grabbing game.

seartu, that's y u have a WD. you might be to offensive sometimes and would rather to space and think how to enter. Dsmashing is always a good option, but f tilt isnt a really good option when your opponent is on low %. i use it sometimes wif a full WD and when i go through the opponent, i ftilt backwards, so i take the poke and Slide out at the same time. once he goes to 15% or somewhere around depending on the opponent, it's a better phase. you can grab or w/e you want, just try to read CC's and moves.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I tend to jab -> dsmash or jab -> Grab a lot when they are at low percentage.

Top Bottom