• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach Options?

James N.

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5335 0867 6499
Ftilt, fire, dtilt, and the ol' upB out of shield seem to work best. Jumping and using fire breath can work on some projectile users.

Fighting Dedede and Robin is still pretty not fun tho.

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
A short hopped Fair or Dair. If your faces with projectiles like Gordos or explosive cans. Fair, Dair, Ftilt and Jab are good for returning them back to sender. Against Robins... just avoid spell damage and wait for a slip up. All keep track of spell count. Best time to go ham on Robin is when he/she runs outta fire. (There are 6 of them). There are so many more options I can go into, but I rather you just ask specific question and I tell ya.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
How should a Bowser approach a super laser spammy Falco? I can Powershield all I want but it's going to drag out the battle to unfun proportions.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Short hopped side b isn't too bad, nor is forward air, especially if you know when and how to fast fall it. Fire too, like other have said already. Also making use of Bowser's Dash dance and his shield can help you make an opening depending on the character and player you're up against. However, I feel like sometimes it's better to not worry that much about the approach, it can fairly often be better to just wait and see if they are willing to close some distance for you. You can even use the opportunity to practice power-shielding and klanking if the projectile is not transcendent, now when I say this I don't mean to just stand like a statue at the other side of the stage, move around, make it look like you're actually playing their game, then see if they are willing to try something else when you aren't making any big commitments. Try to stay at a range where you feel like you'll be able to punish something big if they try it, but not so close to where you're at risk of being hit by something, unless you have an opening or are trying to bait out a reaction of some kind.

Keep in mind what the opponent's defensive habits are, and learn your options against what they are trying to do, when you know how to you that then approaching will become easier. It's best to not approach directly from a neutral situation if you can help it, Bowser's approach options are not very hard to beat, and a patient player that is waiting for you to move first will be ready to punish you on reaction. I'm not saying you

@ MagiusNecros MagiusNecros Against Falco, you probably want to stay at a distance where you can just jump over the laser and punish. His laser is super slow and very easy to punish. Just try not to get flustered by it if you get hit, since it's not really a big deal, you won't die from it, and it's impossible for him to follow up on it unless you hit him out of his recovery with firebreath or something. Of course, as I previously stated, you could also just not approach at all and just powershield, a lot of spammers like to move closer to mess with your timing, so just run up into shield at that moment and shield grab him or jump over the laser and Side-B or Fair. You can also short hop airdodge into any special with the right timing, this works also pretty well on Megamen that like to charge Fsmash in neutral.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'll have to try that next time. He only got spammy because he basically couldn't beat my Bowser any other way.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Short hop BAir (into Slam a low % or shielded) against characters taller than Villager

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Against Robins... just avoid spell damage and wait for a slip up. All keep track of spell count. Best time to go ham on Robin is when he/she runs outta fire. (There are 6 of them). There are so many more options I can go into, but I rather you just ask specific question and I tell ya.
Wow, this shows how little I know the Robin matchup, and why I struggle against it. I did not know Robin has a limit to his/her annoying projectiles at a time. This should really help me get better at Robin matchups. Thanks for the reports!

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
Wow, this shows how little I know the Robin matchup, and why I struggle against it. I did not know Robin has a limit to his/her annoying projectiles at a time. This should really help me get better at Robin matchups. Thanks for the reports!
Thunder: 20
El Thunder: 7
Arc Thunder: 4
Thoron: 3 Recharges in 10 Seconds

Arc Fire: 6 Recharges in 11 seconds

Nosferatu: 4 Recharges in 39 seconds

El Wind: 9
Wind jabs: Apporx. 18-19 secs Recharges in 6 seconds

Levin Sword: 8 Recharges in 8 seconds

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
People need to try walking and jabbing once in awhile. No need to play fast when you don't have to.

Top Bottom