• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Becomes Largest Melee Event Of All Time, Approaching 1024 Cap

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Yesterday evening at BEAST V, before the Grand Finals between Leffen and Armada, the Apex 2015 trailer was shown and it was also announced that Apex 2015 registration would be extended for one day after the surrounding hype when it was announced Nintendo would be partnering directly with Apex 2015 as a sponsor.

Papapaint has such a way of conveying "EPIC" in his videos.
With this announcement, Apex registration imploded (including creating site issues last evening) and has now exceeded the EVO 2014 record of 970 entrants for Melee, becoming the largest Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament of all time. Additionally, Super Smash Bros for Wii U has far exceeded the turnout of the largest Brawl and Project M tournaments by 50%, currently sitting over 670 entrants, and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64 has also exceeded last years count at Apex. Needless to say, this is easily far and beyond the largest Super Smash Bros. Tournament of all time.

Did you register yet?

With the cap limit of 1024 quickly approaching for melee, this may be your last chance to register for the largest Super Smash Bros. Tournament of all time. An all star line-up of sponsors, broadcasters, streamers, players, and gamers in general, you will not want to miss this event. The registration deadline is this evening, 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time/8:59pm Pacific Time, but Melee will likely be capped by then, so don't wait.

To register, visit http://register.apex-series.com/.

EDIT: As of this moment, Melee has hit the cap! You have 2 hours left to register for other games!

TheTantalus couldn't be more excited to be competing (once again) in the largest smash bros. tournament of all time. He also couldn't be more excited to be part of the lead stream by VGBootcamp. Those excited about Apex 2015 should tweet @ TheTantalus TheTantalus with the hashtag #Apex2015.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I expected this after seeing B.E.A.S.T. 5 and seeing Nintendo's endorsement, Melee is back in full blast everyone.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
crazy how people still gushing over melee even after smash 4 is out now. I do expect smash 4 to be pretty hype though.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to guess despite the fact this has nothing to PM that these comments will devolve into arguing about that like all the other APEX articles.

Anyways, conglaturations!

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Don't care about Melee myself, but I'm definitely impressed.

I can tell it's going to be a great tournament for Melee (and probably PM) fans. Congrats.

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
Imagine Melee getting 1024 entrants and Nintendo unveiling Melee HD at the end of the event.

The dream.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Imagine Melee getting 1024 entrants and Nintendo unveiling Melee HD at the end of the event.

The dream.
"We would like to announce Melee HD, wavedashing, L cancelling, Battlefield and Fox has been removed. Please understand."

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see melee doing so well. It just proves great timeless gameplay like melee's goes a long way.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Smash 4 almost has 700 Entrants?

Melee has hit almost the cap amount of players?

Nintendo Partnering up causing super hype?

This is the dream:

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
EVO are you watching=???

Mr. Wizard are you there=???

Melee needs to be at EVO this year YET AGAIN.

Competitive Melee never dies. In fact, all it does is grow.

It's the 2nd biggest fighting game on the planet right now behind only Ultra SF IV.

Ultra has 6 digits of developer pot bonuses. Melee so far has $0 of developer pot bonuses.

That's truly something spectacular. A game only lasts that long and gets that big off pure love.

Given how old Melee is and how big it remains, it is one of the few games where you can say the scene truly loves it. That's one of the greatest accomplishments in competitive gaming history.

Competitive scenes are born and die in a flash, but to see something last 5 years let alone 10 let along 13 years competitively is something you just don't see often. Seeing a game grow to this level after 10 years has never happened to this extent before.

Back when Melee kicked off competitively Star Craft, Street Fighter 3, MvC2, Halo 2, and like Madden '03 were the competitive games. Those scenes are microscopic now compared to Melee, as are many of those games' sequels.

It's freaking insane to think about. My first regional for Melee in like '06 or '07 had about 25 people show up, and there were about 3 regionals in my region that year. My last one had almost 200, and there were 3 more regionals that month, 2 of which drew better.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Melee is forever. As a Brawl/Wii U smash player, I do enjoy high level Melee tourney & money matches!

:pow:

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
I am excited to see Smash 4 start so strong. That's cool that Melee is still so big. I look forward to seeing all the matches even n64. I am just not interested in them remaking Melee. I want the best players playing the best game. I want this community to show these other SF of MvC or CoD people that not only can we champion an old game but show and grow the new version. Why you ask? If the Smash 4 tourneys/community became larger than the other esports games to force Nintendo to do what they didn't do for Melee and continue to support the game! Lets not let Melee happen again we have a game that everyone says is great "but not Melee" so lets push the community forward while paying homage to the classics like Melee.

Choocheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
choocheese
wish i was still in the tristate area so i could attend but i still cant wait to watch the stream

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That Melee elitist mind set is dying, people are learning to accept ALL Smash games, even Brawl for what it was.
I wish THAT part was true :(

Seriously, take a visit to YouTube comments. Nothing changed, these guys simply moved somewhere else

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
This is crazy, ever since EVO 2013, and the year twitch hit main stream officially (2013, Twitch started in 2011) Melee and Smash in general has blown the **** up. Then with EVO 2014, the Smash invitational happening last year, and the actual release of Smash Bros 4, it shot through the roof. Lots, and lots of casuals are now getting into at an alarming rate, cause they are tuning into Twitch and saying "oh ****, i didn't know people played Smash like this, damn i'm not as good as i thought i was for beating level 9 CPU's, i want in this." Finally, the final factor is, the maturing of the Smash community. That Melee elitist mind set is dying, people are learning to accept ALL Smash games, even Brawl for what it was.
I really don't think melee elitism existed. Only a lot of people who were self conscious about the flaws brawl obviously had. You would point out things like "its slow", or "I don't like tripping", and the immediate response was you would be called an elitist. Not to mention lame ass chain grabs galore which are hated in melee too.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
There is no point to a "Melee HD." We just got a new Smash game, and Melee HD would add nothing to the franchise except just a remake. It would take lots of hard work for nothing, seeing as people will still be upset for the choices the developers make to polish the game.
Plus, why would Sakurai do this at all? He said focusing only on competitive would make the series have no future, so really, it'd be a big loss for Nintendo.
Why ask for a new game that's Melee, when you already have Melee?
(Online is the only reason. That's all I can think of, but you can just hit up your friends to play it with you.)
It's not gonna happen.
Finally, remember Project M? It's essentially MELEE, mechanics and all, even some old characters. Elitists still hate it, for absolutely no reason at all.

Last edited:

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
There is no point to a "Melee HD." We just got a new Smash game, and Melee HD would add nothing to the franchise except just a remake. It would take lots of hard work for nothing, seeing as people will still be upset for the choices the developers make to polish the game.
Plus, why would Sakurai do this at all? He said focusing only on competitive would make the series have no future, so really, it'd be a big loss for Nintendo.
Why ask for a new game that's Melee, when you already have Melee?
(Online is the only reason. That's all I can think of, but you can just hit up your friends to play it with you.)
It's not gonna happen.
Finally, remember Project M? It's essentially MELEE, mechanics and all, even some old characters. Elitists still hate it, for absolutely no reason at all.
If people really want a texture update, dont most people play on 20XX or dolphin anyway? Should be simple enough to add this if some fan made it.

Latkes

Smash Rookie
Dear lord the hype is so real! Hoping that it passes the 1000 entrants mark for Melee. That would be awesome.

Top Bottom