• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Fireblaster, if someone leaves in bracket pools, they'll hold up the entire bracket. If someone leaves in RR pools, the other people in the pool can still play.

Also, here's my numbers on doing RR pools.

Let's say 1 set takes 15 minutes for best 2 out of 3 (I think that's too much, but let's say this is the average scenario).
In one pool of 8, there's 28 sets.
16 pools.
2 waves.

So, if we get 16 complete setups (we have 11-13 as of this post), we can run one wave of pools at a time (8 pools) with 2 TVs per pool. Assuming 15 minutes per set, we can finish 4 sets per hour on one TV, 8 sets per hour on two TVs, meaning 32 sets in 4 hours. 28 sets will be slightly less than that. After wave 1 is done, wave 2 starts. Most people will know what pools and what wave of pools they're in, and they can plan their meals around that. If people still don't show up to their pools, DQ them after 15 minutes.

Entire Melee tourneys have been done with similar numbers in one day with RR pools. We just need to get down to top 8. Logistically, it's completely possible to do, but Apex Staff has said no over and over.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yo you guys need to cool down with badgering the Apex staff. RR pools clearly isn't going to happen. We tried, but time to let it go.

I want to be invited back to Apex in the future.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
As long as there is demand for 64, they're going to include it at Apex. With a $35 venue fee, they'll be missing out on couple thousand dollars if they don't have 64. That's not as big as not having Melee, but it's still free money. Apex staff isn't going to stop having 64 tournies because of what they see as "a few bad apples complaining about bracket pools."

Nintendude

Smash Hero
What's to stop them from replacing 64 with something like KI or SFxT in the future? You gotta be kidding me if you think they are missing out on money by excluding us. They'll just replace us with a more lucrative game.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Yo you guys need to cool down with badgering the Apex staff. RR pools clearly isn't going to happen. We tried, but time to let it go.

I want to be invited back to Apex in the future.

I'm not trying to badger anyone. I dont even think the RR pools is that big of an issue (Sorry solo). I'm just bothered that the staff was immediately disrespectful (though it seems it's just a few people giving the rest a bad name), that 64 finals were given an absolutely terrible time slot (basically ensuring that WC folks who cant attend are gonna have a hard time watching too) and that there is some sort of secret schedule that apparently allows everything to make sense, but isn't public.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I agree with Nintendude that money lost on 64 is probably not a very large concern for the Apex staff.

But I also agree with Han Solo that us complaining is probably not gonna get us removed from the roster. What, do they only take 100% compliant communities? Complaints come from every community ever. We can't be the only ones who have ever had issues with the way Apex has been run. If I'm remembering some past events on the Melee side correctly, I know we aren't.

Personally I am not very concerned with the pools format, but if you are, voice your opinion, imo.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Apex is a smash tourney foremost. No one in the FGC cares about Apex compared to Evo or CEO or NCR. I can't find the numbers for the other fighting games, but I think SF or Marvel (the two most popular fighting games by a substantial margin) had something like 96 entrants last year. If you think SFxT or KI will get similar numbers, good for you, Nintendude.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
what are the chances of convincing steve to hijack the town of nashua to have a 64 national event there once a summer?

but yeah. i'm willing to bet more people would rage at 64 being removed entirely than those of us who are displeased now.

Olikus

Smash Champion
ofc 64 doenst get removed are you guys high? What light would that bring over apex? Its important to complain, if it doenst get done this year, maybe they come to reasoning next year. And then its better than beeing 128 sheeps who welcome all kind of crap with open arms. Nintendude is superbluffing.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
What's to stop them from replacing 64 with something like KI or SFxT in the future? You gotta be kidding me if you think they are missing out on money by excluding us. They'll just replace us with a more lucrative game.
A mostly smash tournament excluding the other main smash game.
Yeah, right, like that is ever going to happen.

Outside of the stupid timing of when the finals are happening, I don't see this occurring at all. I also don't see there being a big KI or SFxT especially when:

A. As said before, there aren't that many people who register. 96 people might look like something big for smash but no, we are no where near what a SF/Mahvel national is. If anything we are a regional event but that is pushing it.

B. SFxT is a small event and even in comparison to 64, it is small. I mean SF people make fun of SFxT as much as melee players make fun of brawl. It would go the way that Persona went last year. I wouldn't call SFxT a lucrative game at all.

It'll be as big as these events are and all of these are at the door registration only.
• SkullGirls ($10 Per Person)
• Persona 4 ($10 Per Person)
• BlazBlue: ChronoPhantasma ($10 Per Person)
• Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate ($10 Per Person)
• Soul Calibur V($10 Per Person)
• Mortal Kombat 9($10 Per Person)
• GG Accent Core +R ($10 Per Person)

C. In terms of KI, possibly, a bare possibility but no, it would not be put in this late.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Apex is a smash tourney foremost.
This is where you're wrong. An Apex TO said this a few years ago, but he straight up said that Apex isn't even a Smash tournament. He said this when people were complaining that 64 wasn't getting stream time or something like that.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah sure, there are tons of other games besides the smash games, and a TO can call their tourney whatever they like. That's not going to stop it from being mostly a smash tourney. Last year's website was called something like "apex-smash.com".

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
So guys who do you want to play this year at Apex?. My list of players that I wish to play are.

Best of 3 or 5 whatever we feel like at the time.

Han solo
Fireblaster
Tom Bombadil
greginator
Combo Blaze
Banze
Killer
Mariguas
Moyashi

If any others happen to see me and want to play ask.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
So guys who do you want to play this year at Apex?. My list of players that I wish to play are.

Han solo
Fireblaster
Tom Bombadil
greginator
Combo Blaze
Banze
Killer
Mariguas
Moyashi

Let's make sure we get some games in!

We didn't play at all last year. :(

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
Thus far I've been told not to publicly address the TR3G/Koroshiyo situation.

But, there is zero possibility of us losing.

THANK YOU ALL OVER THE EARTH

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Thus far I've been told not to publicly address the TR3G/Koroshiyo situation.

What? Who said that? Sounds like someone in your crew is afraid you guys will lose.

The Koroshiyo members don't fear you online jabronies. Hype it all you want. We don't give a ****.

[collapse=] inb4 it was actually someone from my crew who said that lololololol
[/collapse]

Also, which TR3G players are going to be participating in the crew battle? I get a different answer from everybody. Sometimes it seems like you guys just throw random online players into your "crew" and half of the time they don't even know they're in it lol.

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
Also, which TR3G players are going to be participating in the crew battle? I get a different answer from everybody. Sometimes it seems like you guys just throw random online players into your "crew" and half of the time they don't even know they're in it lol.
That doesn't mean ****. I recruit people I want. if they like the crew they stay and if they're gay like tacos they leave. Also they're not random online players. There are specific criteria all acknowledged members share. But you wouldn't understand. You're gonna bring up how closely related Koroshiyo members are, though that won't help you in 1v1 against the ultra gods of TR3G.

The Koroshiyo members don't fear you online jabronies. Hype it all you want. We don't give a ****.
You do give a ****. You want us to hype it up, because it'll make you guys feel as if KoroSHlTo was somewhat equal to TR3G. We might give you that that for now at least. Unfortunately it can't be helped that we won't remember the faces of every insect we crush.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to prove ourselves. However, I doubt it'll be considered much of a feat.

jajajaja PWNED

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Uh oh, looks like i got to travel for work the week of Apex, so I'll be flying instead of driving. Can anyone pick up me and 3 japanese players from JFK on Thursday?

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Yo, can I be part of TR3G? I play Fox. I think I might fit the criteria. If I played Pikachu, I'd join the Kero-gang.
I'm sorry but I have seen your lack of faith with your character in these past weeks/months, and have you even admitting to having less desire to travel and perform. A fox without fire is not a fox I wish to be associates with, thank you.

Also, your activities are not proven counter cultural, your name is not very cool, and your general demeanor is not suitable for a TR3G environment

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I was gonna call Han Solo out as soon as I saw "I play Fox", but I see hipstur already addressed that

Anyway maybe I should join TR3G just to **** with Kero. I was one of the initial members of TR2G, after all. Maybe Mr Bushido will object though ;)

EDIT: Oh he had already messaged me on Skype asking me to join lol

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
That doesn't mean ****. I recruit people I want. if they like the crew they stay and if they're gay like tacos they leave. Also they're not random online players. There are specific criteria all acknowledged members share. But you wouldn't understand. You're gonna bring up how closely related Koroshiyo members are, though that won't help you in 1v1 against the ultra gods of TR3G.

You do give a ****. You want us to hype it up, because it'll make you guys feel as if KoroSHlTo was somewhat equal to TR3G. We might give you that that for now at least. Unfortunately it can't be helped that we won't remember the faces of every insect we crush.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to prove ourselves. However, I doubt it'll be considered much of a feat.

jajajaja PWNED

lol dude i don't care about any of that ****

i just want to know who's in the crew battle

my main point is that it seems dumb that you can just continue to recruit online players (for the crew battle, i don't give a **** who's in your crew lol) until apex when you have like a team of 4 of 5 s tier online players just because they fit the "criteria" or whatever

i mean i might as well message boom and jamie and ask them to join the koroshiyo because they fit the criteria

before you know it we'll have this huge mega crew battle of death going on (which btw now that i think about it seems pretty cool. there should be a draft crew battle at apex lol)

ultimately you can do what you want, like i said, i don't care about you crew. if i wanted it hyped up i would have hyped it up myself. you guys are nothing more than another opponent to me

i just want to know who we're playing against lol

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
but kero your criterion does not seem to allow song Jamie or Boom. You and Stranded have both stated that your crew is very tight knit and more family oriented. Just because you cannot understand online relationships does not mean that tr3g members aren't close as can be c:

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
i don't know kero. me and hip are the only ones coming to apex for sure. LD isn't confirmed yet and SK most likely won't come. unreal and ducky can't make it, Fays lives too far and wotg has to write his book. if we're lucky this will be a 4v4 lol

otherwise tr3g has no problem with 3v4 or even 2v4

edit :

you'll be the first person who joined willingly

#1 tr3g hater. anyway it's not as if anyone believes someone who quickly adopted Samus as a result of his obsession for "chicks with ink" and tendency to be a self-pitying hipster oriented towards the lowest character on the tier list.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i don't know kero. me and hip are the only ones coming to apex for sure. LD isn't confirmed yet and SK most likely won't come. unreal and ducky can't make it, Fays lives too far and wotg has to write his book. if we're lucky this will be a 4v4 lol

otherwise tr3g has no problem with 3v4 or even 2v4

ah man, i didn't know that. what a shame. I actually thought that you guys had like 5 people going and i was gonna ask Ceasar (not an official member of the koroshiyo [by choice] but still one of my best friends) to play with us to make it even if you guys wanted. but oh well.

AND SK ACTUALLY JOINED? lol star king you sly dog you

tbh i think SK and LD will probably end up going. but who knows, both those ****ers are full of mysteries.

Also, we're not going to do 3v4 or 2v4 lol. We'll be using the same amount of players as you guys.

AND OH BY THE WAY

Cobr isn't the #1 TR3G hater, he's just the #1 Koroshiyo supporter. Right rob?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
wotg has to write his book.
****ing lol'd good one

#1 tr3g hater. anyway it's not as if anyone believes someone who quickly adopted Samus as a result of his obsession for "chicks with ink" and tendency to be a self-pitying hipster oriented towards the lowest character on the tier list.
good one immediately retracted you're scum you french speaking ****

Cobr isn't the #1 TR3G hater, he's just the #1 Koroshiyo supporter. Right rob?
absolutely not

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I was gonna call Han Solo out as soon as I saw "I play Fox", but I see hipstur already addressed that

Anyway maybe I should join TR3G just to **** with Kero. I was one of the initial members of TR2G, after all. Maybe Mr Bushido will object though ;)

EDIT: Oh he had already messaged me on Skype asking me to join lol
lol if you think I actually quit Fox

duncs

Smash Apprentice
just spent my entire thursday night reading all this havng not been online in ages.

info that stuck:
•people are unhappy
•trouble with the word 'our'

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman

Han solo
Fireblaster
Tom Bombadil
greginator
Combo Blaze
Banze
Killer
Mariguas
Moyashi

I'm honored to be on the list man. Can't wait to meet everyone and play.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
really all i want to do is **** nta in the ass on console but he isn't going

i want to play near, though, and TAQUITOS

Top Bottom