• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Project M Invitational Showcase Tournament - 1/11/13

Rayku

Smash Lord
Really hoping that the next big Project M tournament will be more than invite only.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm really hoping that people will start going to standalone PM tournaments instead of requiring Brawl or Melee's presence.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I would be at every one. It really sounds like a blast. Trust me if I made enough money to fly to every one I would

Scythe

Smash Master
There's going to be a big PM/melee tourney in chicago in the middle of Feb. Rat is trying to get as many of the best PM players to go.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There's going to be a big PM/melee tourney in chicago in the middle of Feb. Rat is trying to get as many of the best PM players to go.
There's going to be a big PM/Brawl tournament in Huntsville in early March, but it's yet to pick up steam despite inexpensive housing.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Sethlon hosts monthly PM only tournaments in Dallas.
Probably too far for most of you though, I live in Austin and I don't even have the time to make them.

Scythe

Smash Master
chicago hosts usually biweekly pm/mee tourneys and SCSYN is Rat's regional that happens every year.

leffen

Smash Champion
This was easily, and by far, the worst tournament I've ever attended. Organization, game, and information beforehand were all bottom tier.

However, I still want to apologize for being a bit too harsh to the crew, which even though all of the PMBRs failures with this tournament was not deserved

also I'm probably not gonna play any more 2.5, or P:M overall, at least until you change some mechanics (pits arrows, sonics side B, charizards recovery, every god damn character having GODLIKE auto combos/recovery).The PMBR has some VERY VERY VERY bad character designers. This game does a very very poor job of rewarding the same type of skill that Melee does.

edit: possibly entering P:M at g3 just to stall every game with charizard, gay every character out with planking with pit, and just spamming side b with sonic to get them nerfed just like people did with lucario the second i did decent with him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This was easily, and by far, the worst tournament I've ever attended. Organization, game, and information beforehand were all bottom tier.

However, I still want to apologize for being a bit too harsh to the crew, which even though all of the PMBRs failures with this tournament was not deserved

also I'm probably not gonna play any more 2.5, or P:M overall, at least until you change some mechanics (pits arrows, sonics side B, charizards recovery, every god damn character having GODLIKE auto combos/recovery).The PMBR has some VERY VERY VERY bad character designers. This game does a very very poor job of rewarding the same type of skill that Melee does.

edit: possibly entering P:M at g3 just to stall every game with charizard, gay every character out with planking with pit, and just spamming side b with sonic to get them nerfed just like people did with lucario the second i did decent with him.
Sonic's Down-B*.

Also, what characters do you feel are well-designed, then?

D

Deleted member

Sonic's Down-B*.

Also, what characters do you feel are well-designed, then?
as far as i could tell, most of the characters were better designed when i played last time (feb last year). i don't think it's about the characters that are fine as-is so much as smoothing out the rough edges as they come up.

just from observation, sonic was by far the worst designed. whenever there is a sonic on the screen, the entire game is warped around him regardless of what's actually going on. this lead to some visibly awful situations in free play, including the inability to intentionally 3 vs 1 him effectively, sonic's own teammate getting gang-***** 100% of the time for not being sonic (unless sonic stops you), and a player in the finals (theoretically one of the two best players in the room) not knowing what to do against the character mid-set. sonic is an egregiously awful character design and was consistently soft-banned from free play the entire weekend to keep the game playable. i can't stress enough the intense amount of bad that went into this character. really, what were you thinking.

link was...no. make him bad at literally anything. jesus christ.

DK having a better macro game than captain falcon is sketchy, although that just may be my inexperience vs the character. the character heavily encourages grab > moves until KO, and there's a lot of characters that are polarizing like that but don't have DK's weight or grab range.

squirtle, marth, falcon, fox, falco, wolf, mario, ganon, ike, bowser, samus, wario, etc all seemed fine- for now. as people continue to find holes, they will continue to need revisions.

by far the best part about this game so far is the exclusion of olimar.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
...and a player in the finals (theoretically one of the two best players in the room) not knowing what to do against the character mid-set.
To be fair, I had a general idea of what to do--My direct approaching in the first half of the set mostly came from the fact that I had a limited amount of time before my plane was supposed to leave. :( It got (somewhat) better once I found out I had more time.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I'm really hoping that people will start going to standalone PM tournaments instead of requiring Brawl or Melee's presence.
I sort of agree with Melee since most PM players would actually like to attend a Melee tournament at the same time. And it's probably really hard to switch back and forth and have to wait for certain people to finish their sets from the other game. But I think having Brawl with PM is really great exposure for Project M to the newer Brawl players/current Brawl players.

They'd be like "Holy crap, look at what they could do with Sonic!/Other Brawl Character"

EDIT: That and Setups are more flexible, and the overall amount of people attending would be larger since Brawl/PM players vary more so than Melee/PM.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
In my experience, Melee players are much more likely to try Project M than Brawl players.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In my experience, Melee players will only go to events with PM if it accompanies Melee, so the unfortunate circumstances balance out, I guess. :(

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I sort of agree with Melee since most PM players would actually like to attend a Melee tournament at the same time. And it's probably really hard to switch back and forth and have to wait for certain people to finish their sets from the other game. But I think having Brawl with PM is really great exposure for Project M to the newer Brawl players/current Brawl players.

They'd be like "Holy crap, look at what they could do with Sonic!/Other Brawl Character"

EDIT: That and Setups are more flexible, and the overall amount of people attending would be larger since Brawl/PM players vary more so than Melee/PM.
Just saying, both my two set ups have Melee/Project M/Brawl all playable without having to change a single thing on each Wii and does not require a sensor bar. I have Melee on the disk which can be played via Backup Loader and Configurable USB Loader which can play Project M (with Ocarina Cheats on) or Brawl (Ocarina Cheats off). In fact, I'm really not sure why everyone doesn't do this since it not only gives better picture than a Gamecube in Melee, but allows you to play Project M and Brawl without having to take your Melee copy out of your Wii.

So basically I'm not quite sure what you mean by "setups are more flexible" except that you're just being silly/lazy/making excuses. ^_^

Kyaa~~!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I just have BootMii and Homebrew on my Wii and P:M and Gecko on my SD card. BootMii lets me do anything without a sensor bar. If I want to play Melee, I just put a Melee disc in. BootMii still works. If I want to play vBrawl, I just put a Brawl disc in and remove the SD card when it gets to the P:M launch menu. It's as simple as that. Risk and hassle-free.

Edit: And Okami, you're being a little unreasonable here. Not everyone is willing/knowledgeable enough to hack their Wii to such an extent. I'm bad with programs and such, so the most I've ever done to my Wii is install Homebrew and put Gecko on my SD card. There's this thing in Homebrew that installs BootMii for you so I got that too. Once you start getting into the realm of "Backup Loader" and "Configurable USB Loader", it starts getting too complicated for me. I'd imagine that this would be the same for some other people as well.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
Just saying, both my two set ups have Melee/Project M/Brawl all playable without having to change a single thing on each Wii and does not require a sensor bar. I have Melee on the disk which can be played via Backup Loader and Configurable USB Loader which can play Project M (with Ocarina Cheats on) or Brawl (Ocarina Cheats off). In fact, I'm really not sure why everyone doesn't do this since it not only gives better picture than a Gamecube in Melee, but allows you to play Project M and Brawl without having to take your Melee copy out of your Wii.

So basically I'm not quite sure what you mean by "setups are more flexible" except that you're just being silly/lazy/making excuses. ^_^

Kyaa~~!
because some people bring game cubes durrr

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
wow, no offense to Jceasar, but that music is way too much.
Melee (edit: lol, i mean P:M) is action-loaded enough already without loud rock music blarring out the speakers additionally... I'm really having problems watching the videos with sound :(
(I'm sure all these songs are amazing on their own, i'm pretty sure i kinda fell in love with the PS theme... but still, its just way too much)

edit2: also loving the menue music and i think smashville theme(GF) fits pretty well... its just that music that can run in the background and that you'll notice in an afterthought fits better imo

man, i can tell there are gonna be a bunch of boring match ups to watch in PM now that all these chars with weird weights/unsolid combos on such weights are viable -_-

glad i play wolf lol

HCK91

Smash Rookie
Luckily the only opinion that matters is my own.

Though I've gotten a hell of a lot of compliments, if you read the video comments.
Also JCaesar, why does the theme on Pictochat make me feel dizzy? :upsidedown:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration

my hero @_@

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
The vids were good. Nice character variety. I''ve never seen Wario combo like that before.
I would love to go to a PM tourney one day. But I live in Central California where there are barely any Melee/PM scenes.

I would also like to say that although there are legitimate concerns to be brought up about design choices, the PMBR has done a very professional job in trying to make each character equally viable. There are always going to be differences of opinion and arguments over these things. There is no way the PMBR can please everybody. The best they can do is try to make the best design decisions they can, for what the metagame shows them at the time. The best we can do, is lay out our arguments in a mature fashion without throwing fits. This is a fantastically done community built game. Let's continue to try to make it the best we can. I mean, we all have to remember, PM is still a demo. The game isn't even done being designed yet.

Oh, and Mewtwo for Project M Demo 3.0!

Top Bottom