• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

= Apex 2012 Official Melee Videos Thread! =

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
^^ I'm sure they must have at some point, but I definitely didn't catch them playing, and I was lurking around a lot for stuff to record.

On that note, I have 49 vids set to upload. A lot of them are friendlies/random pools matches of ppl I wanted to see play.

I also recorded top 8 on camcorder cuz I wanted not only the crowd reaction but a crowd perspective lol. Just a heads up some of my vids are shakey not cuz my hands are fragile but cuz there was a LOTTT of ppl constantly trying to walk past and bumping into me.

The pp/mango/ar/hbox rotation gets cut off on the upload cuz my camcorder memory ran out and i had to switch to another digital camera lmao... so vids won't be uploaded in order in a sense.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
^^ I'm sure they must have at some point, but I definitely didn't catch them playing, and I was lurking around a lot for stuff to record.

On that note, I have 49 vids set to upload. A lot of them are friendlies/random pools matches of ppl I wanted to see play.

I also recorded top 8 on camcorder cuz I wanted not only the crowd reaction but a crowd perspective lol. Just a heads up some of my vids are shakey not cuz my hands are fragile but cuz there was a LOTTT of ppl constantly trying to walk past and bumping into me.

The pp/mango/ar/hbox rotation gets cut off on the upload cuz my camcorder memory ran out and i had to switch to another digital camera lmao... so vids won't be uploaded in order in a sense.
Can't wait for your footage.

Believe me people, this guy got some great stuff.

and many of these mango/armada/peepee games took place at the setup right beside the door, so there was much bumping >_>

Atlus8

Smash Master
Jaxel aka 8wayrun just got done making fun of the smash community for 45 minutes on his livestream in front of 1000 people.

He made fun of everything from our coaching, to smash game kiddiness. Why did he stream our biggest tournament ever? Why was he chosen over the competent Melee streamers that volunteered?? Because Alex Strife said so I guess.

Umm no... You're full of ****, stop making crap up because you're butt hurt for not being picked to stream Apex. Your stream sucks, you're an idiot and you're a poor excuse for a human being for not mentioning Apex at all during your Apex Qualifier event because you were so salty. Apex was an excellent event on the Smash side, which is one of my major points about my rant. However, I do say that the Smash community is very insular, and thats why the Smash community will remain secluded from the FGC. This is not me "making fun"; this is me stating a fact. Stop being a "keyboard warrior" and commenting on how "poorly" an event was run, that you didn't even attend.

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/305125182
My talk starts at 17:30 in the above video and I stand by everything I said. I would be more than happy to stream another Smash event... but I will never run one.
PEEF, why are you so full of it?! Jaxel gave the smash community MAJOR compliments and heard no bashing what so ever! Were you offended about the coaching part or how we called our casuals 'friendlies'! He bashed on the FGC side of the event, but damn near nothing on the smash part! That said, I'm glad 8wayrun ran the stream and hope to see them working with us in the future!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, Peef. You should chill. Jaxil makes really good points. Very very good points. Smash players love their casuals/friendlies because of stylistic differences in the community. Smash players are generally young (it's true) and when we meet up, the atmosphere is generally laid I can understand why he wouldn't run a Smash event and I don't fault him at all for it.

I completely agree with no coaching during tournament sets. Absolutely completely ****ing agree.

It seems more like a stylistic difference between communities.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Umm no... You're full of ****, stop making crap up because you're butt hurt for not being picked to stream Apex. Your stream sucks, you're an idiot and you're a poor excuse for a human being for not mentioning Apex at all during your Apex Qualifier event because you were so salty. Apex was an excellent event on the Smash side, which is one of my major points about my rant. However, I do say that the Smash community is very insular, and thats why the Smash community will remain secluded from the FGC. This is not me "making fun"; this is me stating a fact. Stop being a "keyboard warrior" and commenting on how "poorly" an event was run, that you didn't even attend.

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/305125182
My talk starts at 17:30 in the above video and I stand by everything I said. I would be more than happy to stream another Smash event... but I will never run one.

Peef, are you from Salt Lake City?

E:

Also, Jaxels stream is the best smash stream I have EVER seen

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I was linked in starting here. Quotes are in bold:

"[Apex] reaffirmed my opinions of the smash community." <--It is obvious what he meant by this. You go on to say that we do come on time, but Jaxel was reading the chat and everyone was saying the typical 'smash is a kiddie game' and all that, and didn't make any effort to correct that.

"The Smash community is insular, they don't play other games." <--Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Marvel tourney was FILLED with smash players!

"[When you tell a smash player to leave a casual,] they throw a fit." <-- The word choice here says we are kids/immature. Could have said they do not like being forced to stop playing, which is true even for FGC players.

"They call casuals "friendlies", what is that f*ckin name?" <--Just makes us sound stupid/different/not as good as FGC.

"The players are juvenile." <- -Needs no explanation.

"Because of coaching, [smash] matches take double the time." <-- I have seen coaching like that never in my years of smash, and as far as I know that might have been the only time that coaching like that has happened almost ever finals of major tournaments. To act like because you saw it once, this is how it always is with smash is just insulting.

Also, Jaxel did NOTHING but point out differences that separate us with FGC, and found absolutely no commonality. The whole poing of Jaxel streaming was to bring everyone together, but all he does is "report back" to his own community and say we are juveniles and so different from them. You can say that I'm picking and choosing what he said, but that is EXACTLY what the FGC was waiting to hear, so their ears are tuned to it.

PS: Yes I am salty about this, no doubt. The whole purpose of having a FGC streamer wasn't served. Plenty of people watched smash for the first time, but when one of their leaders reports back so negatively about us, makes us sound so different, and makes us sound like juveniles or 'kiddies', then FGC suspicions will be confirmed.

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
I was linked in starting here. Quotes are in bold:

"[Apex] reaffirmed my opinions of the smash community." <--It is obvious what he meant by this. You go on to say that we do come on time, but Jaxel was reading the chat and everyone was saying the typical 'smash is a kiddie game' and all that, and didn't make any effort to correct that.

"The Smash community is insular, they don't play other games." <--Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Marvel tourney was FILLED with smash players!

"[When you tell a smash player to leave a casual,] they throw a fit." <-- The word choice here says we are kids/immature. Could have said they do not like being forced to stop playing, which is true even for FGC players.

"They call casuals "friendlies", what is that f*ckin name?" <--Just makes us sound stupid/different/not as good as FGC.

"The players are juvenile." <- -Needs no explanation.

"Because of coaching, [smash] matches take double the time." <-- I have seen coaching like that never in my years of smash, and as far as I know that might have been the only time that coaching like that has happened almost ever finals of major tournaments. To act like because you saw it once, this is how it always is with smash is just insulting.

Also, Jaxel did NOTHING but point out differences that separate us with FGC, and found absolutely no commonality. The whole poing of Jaxel streaming was to bring everyone together, but all he does is "report back" to his own community and say we are juveniles and so different from them. You can say that I'm picking and choosing what he said, but that is EXACTLY what the FGC was waiting to hear, so their ears are tuned to it.

PS: Yes I am salty about this, no doubt. The whole purpose of having a FGC streamer wasn't served. Plenty of people watched smash for the first time, but when one of their leaders reports back so negatively about us, makes us sound so different, and makes us sound like juveniles or 'kiddies', then FGC suspicions will be confirmed.
Don't you know I'm anti FGC?
http://8wayrun.com/threads/critical-edge-cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face.9277/

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Where did you get that from?
Straight from Alex Strife's mouth Thino. Technically through my speakers from Skype.

Jaxel I'm not trying to be critical of your person, I think you are cool for doing what you do. However, you were chosen to stream Apex because they thought that having you stream could show Smash in a new light to the FGC so they could be more welcoming to us. Maybe he never told you that? It is just sad to see us on the big stage and then have the streamer focused on all the negatives and differences of the communities when the point was to bring everyone together. Your rant about us, and the non-existent moderation of your chat killed any chance of Smash and FGC commmunities becoming closer, making us even more insular! It isn't totally your fault obviously, but I think the Smash community should be kicking itself for having gone with a FGC streamer that was not committed to trying to promote mutual respect for the communities.

I think its totally fine that you have criticisms and you should be able to say them on your channel, I criticize alot too. What is sad to Smash players is that your FGC viewers will follow you as their representative, and from what you said they have no reason at all to join the Smash community themselves. I thought that you would work more towards the unification of the communities as Alex said was the reason he chose you.

PS after reading the article: I read your article. It sounds like you know where I am coming from. Our communities are often looked upon negatively by mainstream FGC, and we both work hard to increase the popularity of our games through streaming. So why didn't you commit yourself to improving peoples opinion of Smash after the event? You knew that we were trying to gain recogniton as well, and I would think that after what the SoulCalibur community has gone through you would know what its like to be thrown under the bus by the FGC, but instead you seemed to join them last night. Just flip the script for a second, and imagine that sp00ky streamed the BIGGEST SoulCalibur tournament of all time, and with the eyes of the whole FGC on him, he said this:
"This tournament reaffirmed my opinions of the SoulCalibur community."
"The players are juvenile."
Would you feel some PJSalt? Would you relate a bit more with me then?

Remember, I am not mad at YOU. What you said is your opinion. Instead, I am mad at the choice to have you stream our game when we should have known it would end in large-scale embarrassment for our community, and if it were your community we were talking about (and you were of course completely capable of streaming the event yourself), I suspect you would relate with me much more.

arcane9211

Smash Apprentice
The thing I didn't like is that Jaxel didn't understand the point of friendlies...I mean casuals.

1) You NEED to stay warmed up in smash. I really feel for the fox/falco players that had to play right after waking up with minimal warm up.

2) People from all over the world were at this and this is the only chance for a lot of people to play each other (or at least for a long time).

3) That's when a lot of money matches happen.

But overall he wasn't as negative as peef is making it out to be, although I can see where peef is coming from.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i just wish we were all one community :(

watching the jaxel video now, WTF we are elitists?! ugggghhhh who is representing our damn community

i'm also gonna respond to a couple jaxel points

I completely disagree with you about us being insulin, i don't even know your basis for that :S I and countless other smashers heavily love agressive FG's like marvel..i absolutely LOVE the people who make the FGC happen. I do not love the 'stream monsters', though.

as others have said, we like having the TV's for casuals because of how little the community gets to play eachother. FGC play eachother all the time, especially since you guys have ONLINE.
There are such little regionals/nationals, that any event like this is a HUUUGE opportunity for people to get to play eachother, and the game is verrry broad in terms of playstyles, so it's very exciting for players to get to play new people.

I completely understand that you still should take the TV's away to make the tournament smoother, but of course there will be people complaining, and they will be complaining harder than your community for the reasons i mentioned above.

I can also guarantee you friendlies is a more exciting experience for smashers over the FGC, because of the dynamics of the games. You see the same combos in marvel all the time, melee is very vast in that aspect. The things that change in the game for each tier of player is ********.

also your view on us as a whole is crazy..we are idiot, (you didn't say it but you clearly almost did, and held it back), immature and delinquent..what? isn't most of the melee community older? I guess he could be talking about brawl too which is unfortunate as our communities are so different.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Watching the "speech" right now, and I actually agree with most of it.
However, I don't know about the coaching thing. This is the first time I've seen this much coaching.
Also, in Europe, it's been taken for granted that there is no coaching, but since it's starting to happen sometimes, at least in Sweden we have (or will introduce soon? Don't know since it doesn't really happen anyway) a rule that specifically bans coaching during sets.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So uh
My 500GB Toshiba External HDD is missing and I think most of the stuff I recorded at this were on it. Anyone know where it is? <__<

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
The thing I didn't like is that Jaxel didn't understand the point of friendlies...I mean casuals.

1) You NEED to stay warmed up in smash. I really feel for the fox/falco players that had to play right after waking up with minimal warm up.

2) People from all over the world were at this and this is the only chance for a lot of people to play each other (or at least for a long time).

3) That's when a lot of money matches happen.

But overall he wasn't as negative as peef is making it out to be, although I can see where peef is coming from.
1) It's not like you don't need to be warmed up in other fighters either. 1 frame links are hard man.

2) Alot of FGC major tournaments have people from all over the world. They do tourney first, whihc leaves time at the end when the venus is still open for ALL friendlies and MM.

3) See above

Casuals at tournament really need to be kept to a minimum, if allowed at all. When you lack the set ups to run a touranment efficiently for as many people you have like at APEX, you need to use as many set ups as you can to get things done. Tournament should come first.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
What about the idk.. 250 of us that go and have no chance of making that bracket. Tell us we can play friendlies because there's not enough setups is stupid. I have never had a problem giving up my tv for a tourney match but remember that us bad players bring all those setups.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Jaxel, the bit about coaching isn't necessarily true. We don't have a rule that ALLOWS it (unless i'm missing this rule?) there's just no ruling that un-allows it..it almost seems like half the community is for it, and half is against. I think it's a joke, a waste of time, and not even true to competition in tournament play, but that's just me. There's been like 40+ pages of debate about it, which actually ended up doing nothing. I would love for a 'soft ban' effect as the FGC does it.

my view on it is why the **** are you being taught the game in a national tournament, thats what the point of a national tournament is, TO PROVE YOURSELF

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
What about the idk.. 250 of us that go and have no chance of making that bracket. Tell us we can play friendlies because there's not enough setups is stupid. I have never had a problem giving up my tv for a tourney match but remember that us bad players bring all those setups.
I mean i know this feeling, I never make it into bracket. Obviously as the bracket narrows down, there are open set ups, go ahead play friendlies. But while there are matches that can be played, as many TV's as possible should be used for the tournament, so that bracket can move along so more people can play friendlies for longer periods of time.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I really don't know how anyone can disagree with what Jaxel said.

APEX had its issues, but it was a step in the right direction and if we start to really learn from what people in the FGC have to say about our tournaments that involve their games then the smash community will really benefit from that. Starting with smaller locally run smash/fgc tournaments would be a great way for TOs to bring more people into their tournament and do some cross pollination between communities.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Props to all the uploaders (Juggleguy, esp.) for getting these videos up. Gonna be fun to watch. :)

Also, DtJ, you make a good point. Tournament should come before friendlies. However, I at least think there should be some time allocated before the tournament for warming up. Then the tourney matches can happen, and as they whittle down, people can start using idle TVs for friendlies. In any case, these are EXTREMELY important to us (though not quite as much as the smooth run of the tournament), as ALL gamers need to stay warmed up.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
As much as anyone hates to hear the words "Pound did it right" there was something in particular that Plank did right at I believe was Pound 4 and it was that he had ALL the TVs for tournament and they were ALWAYS there for tournament and never used for friendlies.

Then he had a whole big section of its own of just TVs for friendlies. It can be hard to come by but that's the type of thing that NEEDS to happen if anyone wants to continue the way it is currently. But meh.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would be more than happy to see players play their friendlies/casuals/MMs before and after a tournament, as long as they have the discipline to not do so during the tournament.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Arcane's post is spot-on when it comes to explaining why the Smash community loves friendlies. But that doesn't excuse players from having discipline, like aisight mentioned, when TOs are busting their *** trying to move the tournament along.

Iron Dragon is right about separate setup areas making things easier, but it still doesn't excuse players from taking a minute to listen to important announcements. This didn't happen at Apex, and as a result nobody was on the same page at all.

Organizers should make it clear from the beginning what their friendlies policy is. This is basically what I communicate at my events: Tournament comes first, friendlies come later. No, your moneymatch is not more important than an announcement by the TO, so pause it or risk having assistant TOs drop by to reset your GameCube.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
At the same time, Juggle always makes time for friendlies and is great at directing the right matches to the stream, and he is very knowledgable at recording.

Juggleguy for next International? Bringing it back to the Midwest??? Would be awesome and he's the right guy.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I have to write up a big post on the difference between friendlies and warm ups soon.

Should probably just do a big write up on Apex and what things a TO must anticipate and be prepared for when hosting a smash tournament...

Put simply, player needs were not met at Apex and the quality of play overall suffered for it. Saying "apex is awesome" a thousand times does not make it awesome.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I have to write up a big post on the difference between friendlies and warm ups soon.

Should probably just do a big write up on Apex and what things a TO must anticipate and be prepared for when hosting a smash tournament...

Put simply, player needs were not met at Apex and the quality of play overall suffered for it. Saying "apex is awesome" a thousand times does not make it awesome.
i'd love to see that TO post.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
lol whyd it sound weird. A TO these days should know how to do those "other" things like directing people to streams and recording setups and knowledge of recording helps that.

Youre good at it too ajp =D

poega

Smash Apprentice
I really don't know how anyone can disagree with what Jaxel said.

APEX had its issues, but it was a step in the right direction and if we start to really learn from what people in the FGC have to say about our tournaments that involve their games then the smash community will really benefit from that. Starting with smaller locally run smash/fgc tournaments would be a great way for TOs to bring more people into their tournament and do some cross pollination between communities.
You just disagreed with Jaxel by saying APEX had issues as he said it was run perfect. Just saying.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
You just disagreed with Jaxel by saying APEX had issues as he said it was run perfect. Just saying.
I'm typing up what he said in his stream so people who don't want to watch it will not be misinformed.
I recommend that you give it a read when I'm done.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
I'm typing up what he said in his stream so people who don't want to watch it will not be misinformed.
I recommend that you give it a read when I'm done.
Matt! <3 I knew you would make bracket

Good job beating Nando XD

Top Bottom