• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyway to save replays before 1.1.5? (Have yet to turn on Wii-U)

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
So we got a patch, i have yet to turn on my wii-u. I pulled the power cord and internet cable. Is there any way to still see my replays from 1.1.4 before updating while offline?

Thanks
Smash on

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I just recently powered on my console to find out that mine had already downloaded the patch. Usually when this happens, you can do what I just did: Wait until you see the screen where it says it is installing updates, and quickly select the option to start anyway before the progress meter hits the end. If you do so, you should get one final chance to power on under the previous version, as I am doing right now. Unfortunately you will not be able to use the share or upload features, but at least you can still view your 1.14 replays and record by external means (assuming you at least have a tablet, phone, or camera that can record.) It is better than nothing, at least.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
If the patch isn't downloaded, you can go start it up without an internet connection. Can't keep them on the wii you but if you have a capture card or want to do the low quality point a camera at the screen like I dol... you can back them up that way.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You have to download the update manually for Smash 3DS, but Smash Wii U does install new updates automatically. Anyway, if your software hasn't been updated yet, you could still upload your replays onto YouTube if they don't last longer than 3 minutes.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I powered on my Wii U with no internet connection available and I am still on 1.1.4. So replays are safe for now until I get them re-recorded : )

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Well... If you don't mind me piggybacking on the thread.

I started the long process of recording replays yesterday... Unfortunately despite me setting a different default connection today it says "preparing update" whenever i try to start the game. I deleted the internet connection for the house I am in, but it still says preparing... sounds like it is allready downloaded. Anyway around this mess? I have a tournament on there (not competative rules, just something my friends and I do regularly) and I REALLY don't want to lose that one.... not to mention a few good highlights of myself and relatives.

Any ideas? Can I somehow delete this update without deleteing the game data?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Well... If you don't mind me piggybacking on the thread.

I started the long process of recording replays yesterday... Unfortunately despite me setting a different default connection today it says "preparing update" whenever i try to start the game. I deleted the internet connection for the house I am in, but it still says preparing... sounds like it is allready downloaded. Anyway around this mess? I have a tournament on there (not competative rules, just something my friends and I do regularly) and I REALLY don't want to lose that one.... not to mention a few good highlights of myself and relatives.

Any ideas? Can I somehow delete this update without deleteing the game data?
yea, unfortunally you cant go back. I was able to re-record replays yesterday, but i had to make sure the console was unplugged during the day and there was no internet access at all. Then once the game boots you can turn on your internet. Its annoying but what we gotta deal with

Last edited:

CCD23

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I wish there was a way to play replays from 1.1.4. I manually capture my replays with a capture card on my computer. I had a crap ton of replays saved and was planning on capturing them soon but then... Out of nowhere I get "preparing" and "updating"... -__-

It was pretty damn frustrating, so I captured the process of all of my replays going down the drain and put them up here...

The salt really got real with me around 0:18 when I saw the number of replays I lost. The deletion process starts at 0:37 .

But in all seriousness, would it have killed Nintendo to announce that there was a new balance patch coming? (A simple tweet would have worked...) News would have gotten out fast. I know I'm not the only pissed off replay-saving Smash 4 player.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I'm keeping my replays; I've kept them all since the Wii U version released. While I have uploaded replays to my Youtube - when the Wii U gets hacked and modded, I can see a "rollback" hack happening for Smash...but that is also hard to imagine.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I forgot to mention one other handy trick in my previous post. If you happen to have a friend playing online in a friend room, and if you opt to join from the Friend List screen, this will automatically start Smash without applying any updates. Of course you won't be able to join your friend who is on a newer version, but this trick has other uses. For instance, if you happen to hear that Smash has an update while you have already been playing offline for a while, you can use this same trick to restart the game without applying updates. This is also handy if you've purchased some DLC, but want to reset the game one more time without installing the new DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom