• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
There are only few more things I could ask for really but I don't need them. Those being Donnel as an AT so I can hear that Yeehaw! and Micaiah and/or Sothe having some sort of role.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah I kinda wanna see Sothe too. Or just for laughs, throw in young Sothe from Path of Radiance as an Assist Trophy and give him the attack power of Starfy.

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Yeah I kinda wanna see Sothe too. Or just for laughs, throw in young Sothe from Path of Radiance as an Assist Trophy and give him the attack power of Starfy.
I'd probably understand that better if I played all the way through Path of Radiance/could remember Starfy's attack. :confused:

l actually started with Radiant Dawn because I didn't know it was a sequel. But I have started a bit of Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem GBA.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Starfy is that star-shaped Assist Trophy in Brawl and in this game from the Starfy game series. ;)

Oh yeah, and I started with Radiant Dawn too. Excellent game. The great memories make it my favorite, despite Path of Radiance having the superior story.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Starfy is that star-shaped Assist Trophy in Brawl and in this game from the Starfy game series. ;)

Oh yeah, and I started with Radiant Dawn too. Excellent game. The great memories make it my favorite, despite Path of Radiance having the superior story.
Eventhough I love a lot of characters throughout the franchise my favorites still come from Radiant Dawn. Those being Sothe, Leonardo, Edward and Micaiah. Fifth spot going to Chrom.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I'm sorry if this a bad idea in advance for a final smash for Chrom. I've just been thinking about it a bit (A LOT).
The screen goes dark and the closest enemy (within range) is slashed several times by various FEA characters quickly crossing the screen and finally ending with a final strike from Chrom with the glowing Exalted Falchion. Like the box cover of Awakening. I'm sorry if some of you think it's stupid but I personally liked it. I just kind of felt like posting this after reading about the alternate FS for Robin.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I'm sorry if this a bad idea in advance for a final smash for Chrom. I've just been thinking about it a bit (A LOT).
The screen goes dark and the closest enemy (within range) is slashed several times by various FEA characters quickly crossing the screen and finally ending with a final strike from Chrom with the glowing Exalted Falchion. Like the box cover of Awakening. I'm sorry if some of you think it's stupid but I personally liked it. I just kind of felt like posting this after reading about the alternate FS for Robin.
It's not bad but you should check out the one on the wordpress page. I like it just a bit better.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.
By the way, you should leave a comment on the support section of the wordpress page. Every post helps.

Also, does anyone know why my signature isn't showing up on some posts here?

Hong

The Strongest
By the way, you should leave a comment on the support section of the wordpress page. Every post helps.

Also, does anyone know why my signature isn't showing up on some posts here?
Your signature can only appear once per page, barring private conversations.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Willing to help with this. I used to moderate Pokecommunity, and I know the site has a lot of Awakening fans. I'm the OP of the Smash thread there so I'll see if I can post about this. It won't be much but every little counts?

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Willing to help with this. I used to moderate Pokecommunity, and I know the site has a lot of Awakening fans. I'm the OP of the Smash thread there so I'll see if I can post about this. It won't be much but every little counts?
Of course. I doubt any of us would turn down extra support. You should make a support comment on the wordpress page and get others to do so as well. And follow the twitter page too. This movement is gonna need a good push.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Of course. I doubt any of us would turn down extra support. You should make a support comment on the wordpress page and get others to do so as well. And follow the twitter page too. This movement is gonna need a good push.
I'm on my phone now but I'll do all that eventually. I'd love to see Chrom playable so I'll do my part.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I'm on my phone now but I'll do all that eventually. I'd love to see Chrom playable so I'll do my part.
I figured. It just seems like Opossum got offline so I figured I would remind people while he is away.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
THIS IS A RED ALERT, PEOPLE. NOT A DRILL. ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE IS NEEDED.

So I've heard some terrible news. Apparently, Sakurai considered Chrom, but dropped him mid-development after not figuring out what he could do to differentiate himself.

THIS IS CRUCIAL. We must focus all of our efforts now into translating the moveset page of the website into Japanese. Only then could Sakurai see it, if he sees it at all. We must gain numbers, and we must gain translators.

Whatever happens, guys, don't give up hope.

Here's what Sakurai said. It's damming, but the man has shown in the past that he can change his mind. He just needs the push. That's where we come in.
We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.

"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.

His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Is that from the Famitsu article? I can't...wow. That sure wasn't nice to the Chrom fans. :sadsheep:

You can do it, guys! *support raises to S rank*! Anything can change!

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF

So I've heard some terrible news. Apparently, Sakurai considered Chrom, but dropped him mid-development after not figuring out what he could do to differentiate himself.

THIS IS CRUCIAL. We must focus all of our efforts now into translating the moveset page of the website into Japanese. Only then could Sakurai see it, if he sees it at all. We must gain numbers, and we must gain translators.

Here's what Sakurai said. It's damming, but the man has shown in the past that he can change his mind. He just needs the push. That's where we come in.
I don't know if I think this is good or bad for us. On one hand, I could take it at face value and say this is going to be harder because Sakurai doesn't have faith in Chrom's abilities. On the other hand, I could take it as Sakurai saying he wanted Chrom playable in the game and he just needs to find a way to implement him. Honestly, I'm confident enough in our moveset to believe if Sakurai read it he may begin to consider Chrom again.

As for how we should prioritize things, I think finding people is more important than the translation at the moment. The more people we have the easier it should be for things to fall in line and we may even find a translator in the process. As for expanding the support list, I made a comment on the last page about trying to get youtubers and streamers on board.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've gone to some people for translation help. I just pray they're able to do so.

What do you say guys? Let's do the impossible. Operation Awakening is a go.

I don't know if I think this is good or bad for us. On one hand, I could take it at face value and say this is going to be harder because Sakurai doesn't have faith in Chrom's abilities. On the other hand, I could take it as Sakurai saying he wanted Chrom playable in the game and he just needs to find a way to implement him. Honestly, I'm confident enough in our moveset to believe if Sakurai read it he may begin to consider Chrom again.

As for how we should prioritize things, I think finding people is more important than the translation at the moment. The more people we have the easier it should be for things to fall in line and we may even find a translator in the process. As for expanding the support list, I made a comment on the last page about trying to get youtubers and streamers on board.
Do you know anyone from the Youtube community who'd be willing to help us out? It'd be great to spread the word.

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Do you know anyone from the Youtube community who'd be willing to help us out? It'd be great to spread the word.
I suggested Smooth McGroove on the last page. I know he is a Fire Emblem fan but the problem comes in that he isn't a huge smash fan. I also don't know his stance on Chrom or if he has even played Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Edit: We could also maybe get TheOddOne on board from League of Legends. He is planning on streaming Fire Emblem: Awakening when he gets a capture card but he is much more of a long shot. I know he thinks everyone in Fire Emblem is bland and I don't know how much he cares for smash.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I suggested Smooth McGroove on the last page. I know he is a Fire Emblem fan but the problem comes in that he isn't a huge smash fan. I also don't know his stance on Chrom or if he has even played Fire Emblem: Awakening.
It's decided then. Tomorrow, the official Chrom For Smash Bros DLC youtube account will be made, and Smooth McGroove will be our first client. His videos get tons of views. We're bound to pick up some support there.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
It's decided then. Tomorrow, the official Chrom For Smash Bros DLC youtube account will be made, and Smooth McGroove will be our first client. His videos get tons of views. We're bound to pick up some support there.
No doubt. I'll try and come up with more because I'm sure there are plenty of other youtubers and streamers willing to help.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
That's Sakurai's reasoning? That he couldn't think of anything unique for Chrom, yet, Lucina gets in as a clone? I can't tell if this is an excuse or what...

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I feel it's pretty genuine. I mean a lot of people come through here saying the same thing. All we have to do is prove Sakurai wrong like we did the others.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's Sakurai's reasoning? That he couldn't think of anything unique for Chrom, yet, Lucina gets in as a clone? I can't tell if this is an excuse or what...
Even if it is, there's something to keep in mind: he's changed his mind in the past. Pac-Man, Miis, and Villager are key examples of that. Chrom had a bit of work done, and DLC creation has likely not yet started. All we need to do is get noticed, and hopefully we can do the unthinkable and change Sakurai's mind.

Hong

The Strongest
Looking at it from the wrong way.

Lucina was a promoted costume. She even starts the fight "masked" as Marth. Chrom is just Chrom, and isn't pretending to be Ike or anyone.

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
BTW I should mention I am learning web development. I haven't worked much with wordpress but I may be able to help in the future if needed. I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and some JQuery.

Dragon1128

Smash Cadet
Looking at it from the wrong way.

Lucina was a promoted costume. She even starts the fight "masked" as Marth. Chrom is just Chrom, and isn't pretending to be Ike or anyone.
Yeah, People need to understand that Lucina was purely chance. She's like you said, a "promoted costume" and development time spent on her is almost nonexistent. They already had her modeled and animated as a costume, and decided to make her a full character due to the size difference and stuff. Really easy change.

Lucina didn't get in over Chrom. Robin got in over Chrom. Lucina is really just a bonus, and people shouldn't be getting so angry over her inclusion.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Oh no, I'm just upset at both the treatment of Chrom and Lucina, they both deserve better than a FS and a clone. But yes, I know we can still reach Sakurai's ears with enough support, I'm not going to give up hope, don't worry Opossum.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
So, it is all up to us now, huh? Although I am already fully content with FE's representation in this Smash, I wish you much luck in this endeavor. It will be a hard campaign definitely, given the circumstances, especially with Famitsu's details of Sakurai's decision; however, I have faith that at least something good would come of this movement, even if it brings just a minor degree of change.

I wouldn't mind helping out as well, be it petition signing or whatever.

^-^

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Damn, that just ain't right! Even the guy who's famous for making a certain NES accessory playable couldn't do a think for Chrom at all to make him a unique swordsman. I mean talk about a major blow for a creative guy like him. :facepalm:

Hong

The Strongest
Damn, that just ain't right! Even the guy who's famous for making a certain NES accessory playable couldn't do a think for Chrom at all to make him a unique swordsman. I mean talk about a major blow for a creative guy like him. :facepalm:
Takes a fraction of the energy to make a character that is more unique not from just other Fire Emblem characters, but the rest of the roster.

That said, shame Chrom was not as blessed as Lucina to just happen into the roster like that.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Dang it, @ Opossum Opossum
Gonna pressure me into your shebang by following me on Twitter even though I didn't say one way or the other if I supported it or not, hmm?
You clever marsupial you.
I see what your game is.
And you're pretty good at it! :p

Just you wait, I'm gonna make my own DLC campaign.
It'll be for Toad, and there will be blackjack and hookers.
In fact, forget the Toad...and the campaign.
Ah, screw the whole thing.

I can't say I'd exactly be "active," if you know what I mean. I don't mean this to be offensive or anything, but I'm personally content with the Fire Emblem we've gotten. Okay, that's a lie, I'd still love Anna.
Though I do enjoy seeing others be ecstatic, and I do hope you guys are lucky enough to get noticed!
I suppose the least I can do is offer my services in putting together graphics or something. I like to think I'm pretty okay with Photoshop, so if you'd like a little something made feel free to hit me up!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dang it, @ Opossum Opossum
Gonna pressure me into your shebang by following me on Twitter even though I didn't say one way or the other if I supported it or not, hmm?
You clever marsupial you.
I see what your game is.
And you're pretty good at it! :p

Just you wait, I'm gonna make my own DLC campaign.
It'll be for Toad, and there will be blackjack and hookers.
In fact, forget the Toad...and the campaign.
Ah, screw the whole thing.

I can't say I'd exactly be "active," if you know what I mean. I don't mean this to be offensive or anything, but I'm personally content with the Fire Emblem we've gotten. Okay, that's a lie, I'd still love Anna.
Though I do enjoy seeing others be ecstatic, and I do hope you guys are lucky enough to get noticed!
I suppose the least I can do is offer my services in putting together graphics or something. I like to think I'm pretty okay with Photoshop, so if you'd like a little something made feel free to hit me up!
Are you good at making support signatures/banners? :D

If you'd be free, that is.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Are you good at making support signatures/banners? :D

If you'd be free, that is.
If you provide me with an idea of what you'd like, then sure.
I usually do backgrounds and such, but I'm fine with stepping outside my element, so to speak.

Not sure if you mean free as in time or free as in I don't cost any money, but the answer to both is "yes." :p

IronFish

Smash Ace
Chrom is MUCH more deserving of being in as a playable character the game over a more popular character like Ridley, and as the 5th FE rep (more than Kirby) Sakurai will for sure make it Frederick or something in Robin's Final Smash.
Seriously guys, you said Robin supporters were in denial when the leak was so likely, don't be hypocrites.

Dragon1128

Smash Cadet
Chrom is MUCH more deserving of being in as a playable character the game over a more popular character like Ridley, and as the 5th FE rep (more than Kirby) Sakurai will for sure make it Frederick or something in Robin's Final Smash.
Seriously guys, you said Robin supporters were in denial when the leak was so likely, don't be hypocrites.

Look, Saying somebody is more "deserving" is opening a bad can of worms. Nobody is more "deserving" than any other character. Every character has their fans, and the fans are clever with coming up with unique ideas for them.

Would Chrom "fit" better in a game like smash bros than somebody like Ridley or K-Rool(who I both happen to like as characters BTW)? I think he would. It doesn't make him more "deserving" though.

Also, talking crap on an entire fanbase is not cool.

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I added a comment on the website and favorited all the tweets (I'd retweet, but I don't actually have any followers so it wouldn't help). Anything else I can do for the war effort?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Yikes.

I was really having faith on him to make Chrom have something out-of-the-box after seeing Greninja, Rosie and so on, but it seems like Chrom's facing himself with a major dilemma. I guess from the bright side he's not outright out for rest of the series (Unless like Toad, he'll stay as Robin's Final Smash forever), but indeed, this means that our biggest obstacle is to overcome this.

I can though commend him for adding Robin for the reasoning of representing FE well while sporting a good moveset - still, you all had great moveset ideas as well, so I hope they'll be seen up.

One idea I had was that what if Chrom's moveset comprised of him taking another theme from FE:A and pulling skills and weapons named after all the other Lords in the series in his moveset along with his own. Maybe not very Chrom-like or might parody his "unoriginality" to the max, but IMO would give him this fun flavour that wouldn't easily label him as "another swordsman", maybe using it to his advantage. I might be wrong though, you don't get too far with just pulling stuff from source material all the time...
Furthernote, he'd only use swords and lances in his moveset, maybe even bows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom