• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
for the people that think that Lucina stole Chrom seat, thats not the case. Lucina was a freebie that almost didn't spent development time (the true resource that dictates who is in, instead of character slots) so if Chrom would have been instead of Lucina, he would still have been a marth or ike clone.

I don't think that Chrom was a bad choice per se, or that he couldn't be made unique (as I posted in other thread, a Fire Emblem shield moveslot had lots of potential) it's just that Robin was a better choice, at least in my eyes and in the eyes of developers.

now, I was going to hope for a robin DLC if chrom got in, but who know... maybe Chrom can get a dlc and Alfonzo could take its place on Robin Final Smash? (just have to admit that alfonzo final smashing is an amazing idea)

Anyway, my condolences.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm happy that Robin is playable, since I supported him, but I agree the trailer was rubbing salt in the wound of Chrom fans. Sakurai was merciless with that.

Out of all 3 main characters of Awakening, Chrom gets the smaller role as a cameo in Robin's FS. Lucina was probably added for her ease to be a Marth clone. The trailer focused on Robin much more than Lucina, so I guess the main Awakening rep is, indeed, Robin.

This was kind of bittersweet for Awakening fans. All main characters except Chrom are playable.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Watch that he becomes an alt character. xD

@ Niko Mar Niko Mar

I disagree. Lucy sports a different Up air and her dancing blade lacks the colored trails. Also, different idle pose.
I dunno dude, the up-air looks the same to me, and the colored trails don't really affect anything. Either way, it's totally possible that she has her own slot, I don't doubt that. Perhaps the notion of the devs making a straight-up clone character, with their own slot, at this point in the series makes me question it (like really, her moveset doesn't look different at all, which is something they should have showcased if otherwise).

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I agree the trailer was rubbing salt in the wound of Chrom fans. Sakurai was merciless with that.
I don't agree with this at all. It was pretty clear to me that the trailer was designed to have fun with another character from the series and was generally lighthearted about doing it.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I don't agree with this at all. It was pretty clear to me that the trailer was designed to have fun with another character from the series and was generally lighthearted about doing it.
They definitely had fun with the characters, but it did make Chrom look a little too wimpy. Either that, or they're making Cap Futon appear overly evil and BA.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
They definitely had fun with the characters, but it did make Chrom look a little too wimpy. Either that, or they're making Cap Futon appear overly evil and BA.
I don't think they made him look wimpy. I mean, Chrom is Robin's final smash.

chrobin bromance 5ever

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I am sorry for you guys. Deconfirming Chrom like that was probably the worst way to get a character deconfirmed. I always expected Chrom to get in Robin and Lucina appearing in his Final Smash. At least we got Robin and Lucina.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I gotta say I'm sorry that you guys got made fun of by that trailer with Chrom napping while letting his friends fight for him, but you took the leak as conformation, and that made his deconfirmation all the more heart-breaking in the long run.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Warning Received
I gotta say I'm sorry that you guys got made fun of by that trailer with Chrom napping while letting his friends fight for him, but you took the leak as conformation, and that made his deconfirmation all the more heart-breaking in the long run.
No

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Suppose I should swing by to offer my condolences. The way Chrom was deconfirmed had to be the most nasty method we've seen of a character thus far. And everyone celebrating the death of Gemastu at his expense makes the situation even more painful. I'm truly sorry for you guys. :(

D

Deleted member

Guess I'll throw in my condolences since I used to have Chrom in my sig before I lost interest in him.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, Chrom's been de-confirmed, huh?

As a very strong supporter of Robin, I want to offer my condolences to all the Chrom supporters here. I do believe Chrom would have been a good character choice, and one that was worth supporting. I realize that, to many of you, Chrom seemed to be an absolute guarantee, and I can only assume that this reveal has been unbelievably shocking, and not in a pleasant way. I know that can hurt.

That being said, your motto, "Anything Can Change," is true, and is one that all Smash speculators should remember. There are simply no such things as shoo-ins, locks, or guarantees. Nothing is set in stone. I know many of you had absolute confidence that Chrom would be in. I saw how you all patted yourselves on the back for Chrom's "confirmation." While I am sorry about Chrom's de-confirmation, the way you treated him as an absolute guarantee was only setting yourself up for disappointment. Because in the end, the future isn't set in stone, and anything could potentially change, for better or for worse.

Once again, I offer my condolences, and I hope that the lack of Chrom does not ruin this game for you.

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjRK3KoR5Tc

In all seriousness I was really upset earlier today and part of me still is. Chrom was a character I wanted a lot but I never really made a big deal out of it since most of us have thought for over a year now he was pretty much a given...

And that trailer was downright mean-spirited, seriously. I could've lived with the fake-out in the beginning, but the second one before showing him as a Final Smash was just plain rude. I'm hoping he's some kind of alternate costume or something but it certainly doesn't seem likely (I wouldn't count on DLC either, I can't see them going to the effort to alter Robin's final smash). I've had a few concerns up until this point but honestly this just strikes me as a bad decision. The worst part is knowing that this was probably Chrom's only opportunity to ever appear in the series and it's already over. Life sucks, man.

On the bright side Robin definitely looks cool.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kind of unfortunate even though we didn't get Chrom we STILL got another blue haired sword user

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Suppose I should swing by to offer my condolences. The way Chrom was deconfirmed had to be the most nasty method we've seen of a character thus far. And everyone celebrating the death of Gemastu at his expense makes the situation even more painful. I'm truly sorry for you guys. :(
You know what.
I'm still gonna support him after this.

I'd be completely lying to myself if I'd just leave him behind and let him be ridiculed by all the naysayers and "fans" that join them while calling him a wimp or liking the works that enforce that message. I just can't tolerate that, especially after what he went through today, and what he was to both fandoms before it.

And it could be, that perhaps one day I might be one of the few ones who might be there for him during SMT x FE showing him out, but if his potential awakens anew there, I'll surely be the most happiest to survive from this day, to that moment in the future.

Thanks for condolences, but I'm gonna live through this day. Chrom still has a future ahead, so as his supporter, I'll keep cheering on him from the sidelines. I hope others here will be with me, because we all SHOULD feel triumphant after his resurge in awareness and popularity if an opportunity like that arises. Even if that won't alone won't make him be in Smash. As long as we stop treating him as a lost lord who was deemed to be without moveset potential. He's more than that, and so are all the characters deconfirmed for playable spot in Smash. (Look at Toad in his current times for example)

Chrom shouldn't be our new Lyndis: he'll be still the lord we rooted for since his appearance, and heights (FE13 MAN), and now his lowest times. Clearly he was deemed not enough worthy (for perhaps numerous reasons, but mostly the moveset potential) but his words, anything can change.

So let's move towards creating that, and hope that we'll see a better tomorrow ahead.

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I reckon Chrom was initially chosen to be the Marth-a-like in place of Lucina, but was swapped out. The high-quality model that was already in the game was re-purposed into Robin's FS. The switch was made to throw people off the Gematsu leak and increase female reps.

/conspiracytheories

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I reckon Chrom was initially chosen to be the Marth-a-like in place of Lucina, but was swapped out. The high-quality model that was already in the game was re-purposed into Robin's FS. The switch was made to throw people off the Gematsu leak and increase female reps.

/conspiracytheories
Zelda's knight has a high res model

But I don't believe for a second he was ever considered to be playable

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
A bit saddened by the news but I'll stay strong. There's still so many characters we have yet to see, I'm still very excited. And Chrom won't miss the Smash for the world, he isn't a character but he sure as hell isn't backing down without a fight.

Long Live King Chrom.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
how can you not agree?
"i guess.... i'll get my chance, another day..."
"no! you will get your chance today!"

this would make any chrom fan be filled with hope again.

only for that to be mercifully shattered by that stupid FS reveal.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, Chrom's been de-confirmed, huh?

As a very strong supporter of Robin, I want to offer my condolences to all the Chrom supporters here. I do believe Chrom would have been a good character choice, and one that was worth supporting. I realize that, to many of you, Chrom seemed to be an absolute guarantee, and I can only assume that this reveal has been unbelievably shocking, and not in a pleasant way. I know that can hurt.

That being said, your motto, "Anything Can Change," is true, and is one that all Smash speculators should remember. There are simply no such things as shoo-ins, locks, or guarantees. Nothing is set in stone. I know many of you had absolute confidence that Chrom would be in. I saw how you all patted yourselves on the back for Chrom's "confirmation." While I am sorry about Chrom's de-confirmation, the way you treated him as an absolute guarantee was only setting yourself up for disappointment. Because in the end, the future isn't set in stone, and anything could potentially change, for better or for worse.

Once again, I offer my condolences, and I hope that the lack of Chrom does not ruin this game for you.
I didn't even expect Chrom today, but I think the whole leak-debunking will forever haunt us all. But I know only that how does one react and take in is what makes the person. And we all know it's better to learn from it, and just move on.

So I wonder how much energy you all have to rub irritatingly what it is obviously obvious now. Speculation's now open, so I suggest you go there and leave the fans alone a bit. This hasn't been the best day for us, and we're all more than aware of it.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well that happened. I was so confident in Chrom's inclusion, and not only was I dead wrong, but the trailer was pretty much a big middle finger to anyone who expected or supported Chrom.

But you said it best: Anything can change.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I don't think they made him look wimpy. I mean, Chrom is Robin's final smash.

chrobin bromance 5ever
That final smash looks freaking amazing! Plus it's the only way I can play as Chrom ;). In the long run, I'm happy he was at least relegated to a pretty BA appearance.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My condolences to all the Chrom fans here. You guys had a good run for a while.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My condolences for the Chrom suppporters as well. Would absolutely hate to see him suffer the same as Zoroark from the jerk side of the fanbase.

Even though he wasn't a particular Fire Emblem character I supported (Was more behind Lyn and Anna), I still never really had any qualms against him and certainly wouldn't have minded him showing up in Smash.

bobadz

Smash Ace
My condolences. I never supported chrom but the way he was deconfirmed kind of came off as mean spirited.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Want to say that I felt extremely bad watching Chrom at the beginning and end of that reveal. It was pretty harsh even for Smash standards. He was one of my wanted characters.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Chrom is a great lord - I'm sure y'all are feeling about him the way I felt about Hector in the Brawl days. For even an axe lord can cry.

I think ultimately, since one of the major criticisms of Brawl from a presentation standpoint (not gameplay) was the complete lack of female characters, I always figured Lucina had more of a chance.

I've been away from Smashboards for 7ish years, and I've only just heard of Gematsu recently (and man, what a buzzkill that was for about a week), so I guess this was more of surprise to others, and for that I'm sorry - at least in the world of Smash he exists. My favorite lord still lives alone in the GBA

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I didn't even realize Chrom wasn't playable until coming here. I just watched the video and thought they were going to be a trio, and after watching it a second time I thought Chrom was an Ike alt / Semi-Clone.

All I can say is, I think Gameatsu has something to do with the salt tossed around.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'm a little sad Chrom got DC'd, but at least Robin's FS being a Pair Up with him means he didn't get completely shafted.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
My condolences. As a toad supporter, I am no stranger to mean spirited blows to a favorite character's chances.

Hong

The Strongest
When you think about it, any of the three characters would have been a downer to gut. :(

Hong

The Strongest
It sucks that chrom isn't in but a blue haired sword weilder that looks like Marth and has his move set is...
To be fair, she probably had meagre development costs to add a character who, while I'm not sure of NA, is indefinitely more popular both with the developer and in Japan, and is capable of playing like Marth because of her appearances. If they are going to go for one character just for the fans, go with the one more people want. Consider Lucina a "freebie" since it's obvious she didn't cost them much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom