• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage

I can't support Chrom with a clear conscious after seeing that him and Rolf are the same character. How did they get away with this.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Looks good to me, and we'd really appreciate it!

EDIT: I'd suggest the Wordpress link be first though, it's the main website.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

What did they do to Chrom is simply stunning. Badass (daddy/husbando) literally fighting for his friends. Eat your heart out Ike.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Chrom is so perfect as a Final Smash story-wise that it would be less impactful if he was his own character. Not even Morgan or Robin's husband/wife can make it work as well as Chrom

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I disagree, he'd be so much more as his own character, Smashers who know nothing of FE and play as Robin are going to be in complete ignorance or care of the Final Smash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I disagree, he'd be so much more as his own character, Smashers who know nothing of FE and play as Robin are going to be in complete ignorance or care of the Final Smash.
Well, they'll probably realize that Chrom must be significant if Robin's Final Smash revolves around them teaming up to defeat opponents. I believe it's a good representation of both the pair-up mechanic of Awakening, and the significance of both Chrom and Robin as the main characters of the game.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Smashers will probably be in complete ignorance of all the fe newcomers. Most people know Marth and Ike well enough, due to repeated appearances, but Lucina looks just like a long haired Marth and robin is a (little generic don't kill me plz) avatar...No one will really recognize chrom in his current state, apart from fe fans of course. I speak from experience when I say, most smashers without fe knowledge will say "wtf? Who are these girly fools?!"

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I don't have any problem with calling Robin "Avatar" it's a much better fit anyhow.
I assume those referring to the FE reps as girly fools also are confused as to why "Zelda" is called "Link" and prefer to play as "OMG SO HAWT" ZSS/Female Master Chief?

IronFish

Smash Ace
Smashers will probably be in complete ignorance of all the fe newcomers. Most people know Marth and Ike well enough, due to repeated appearances, but Lucina looks just like a long haired Marth and robin is a (little generic don't kill me plz) avatar...No one will really recognize chrom in his current state, apart from fe fans of course. I speak from experience when I say, most smashers without fe knowledge will say "wtf? Who are these girly fools?!"
Well most people know who Chrom is, I mean if you watch the Robin trailer reactions at the start most people are like "okay it's Chrom I wanted him hes my most wanted newcomer yay puppies" then they are like "lol whos this Robin guy what game is he from lol"

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well most people know who Chrom is, I mean if you watch the Robin trailer reactions at the start most people are like "okay it's Chrom I wanted him hes my most wanted newcomer yay puppies" then they are like "lol whos this Robin guy what game is he from lol"
I'll admit, the number of reactions I've seen where people knew exactly who Chrom was yet had no idea who Robin was is a little disturbing... Clearly a lot of speculators out there have yet to actually play Awakening.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Hey, I don't have any problem with calling Robin "Avatar" it's a much better fit anyhow.
I assume those referring to the FE reps as girly fools also are confused as to why "Zelda" is called "Link" and prefer to play as "OMG SO HAWT" ZSS/Female Master Chief?
Not really! When I was younger (back when melee was newer) I was always thinking about why there were these girly looking swordsman among the likes of my favorite characters! For the record, at that age, I had completed prime and Mario 64 was and continues be my favorite game of all time!

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a LOT more of "Ew Chrom--HOLY IT'S LUCINA AND GSDHNSDH CAPTAIN FALXCON AN MAGE GHYT AHOLY FSDGH... ...... Chrom isn't playable? Good!"

I'll admit, the number of reactions I've seen where people knew exactly who Chrom was yet had no idea who Robin was is a little disturbing... Clearly a lot of speculators out there have yet to actually play Awakening.
I think the deal is a lot of people don't recognize him because they stylized him differently when they played, don't quote me on that though.

Not really! When I was younger (back when melee was newer) I was always thinking about why there were these girly looking swordsman among the likes of my favorite characters! For the record, at that age, I had completed prime and Mario 64 was and continues be my favorite game of all time!
Goodness, slightly offtopic but I'd love to play Prime, but FPSs are NOT my thing in the slightest.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Well, Robin has zero advertizing as his own character. Most people who don't play Awakening recognize "Marth" more than Lucina and they quite remember the game has an Avatar but they don't care about his/her default characteristics.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think the deal is a lot of people don't recognize him because they stylized him differently when they played, don't quote me on that though.
I would think most people would at least be able to recognize that distinctive cloak he/she wears. No matter what face Robin has, that remains constant.

My guess would be that a lot of people are just unfamiliar with Awakening and only know about the character everyone said was a shoo-in.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I would think most people would at least be able to recognize that distinctive cloak he/she wears. No matter what face Robin has, that remains constant.

My guess would be that a lot of people are just unfamiliar with Awakening and only know about the character everyone said was a shoo-in.
My avatar was a swords master; I believe the cloak changes during combat. That said, I haven't played in a while. Also, I've noticed a big mixture of reactions to robin/Lucina. The most common is "OMFG falcon!!!!" I've also seen "yay no chrom!" "Damnit no chrom." And "who are these people?!" Oh and don't forget "I hate clones!"
Before get too far off topic id like to ask something; why is anyone against any character (within reason)? I'm sure there are some good reasons but I am not actively against anyone's inclusion.

Morbi

Scavenger
My avatar was a swords master; I believe the cloak changes during combat. That said, I haven't played in a while. Also, I've noticed a big mixture of reactions to robin/Lucina. The most common is "OMFG falcon!!!!" I've also seen "yay no chrom!" "Damnit no chrom." And "who are these people?!" Oh and don't forget "I hate clones!"
Before get too far off topic id like to ask something; why is anyone against any character (within reason)? I'm sure there are some good reasons but I am not actively against anyone's inclusion.
I honestly feel as though people are against characters because there is a more ideal or favorable choice within the series, a character they adore more. Chrom, unfortunately, was a prime example of this notion. No one was actually opposed to Chrom, they were just opposed to "another blue-haired lord/swordsman." It was not as though they were actively opposing "Chrom" because of his character or what he offered, it was because there was someone else in that very same series that they wanted that offered more... in this case, Robin.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I honestly feel as though people are against characters because there is a more ideal or favorable choice within the series, a character they adore more. Chrom, unfortunately, was a prime example of this notion. No one was actually opposed to Chrom, they were just opposed to "another blue-haired lord/swordsman." It was not as though they were actively opposing "Chrom" because of his character or what he offered, it was because there was someone else in that very same series that they wanted that offered more... in this case, Robin.
I can understand that. For example, people oppose sylux because Ridley deserves it more right? That said, there is a difference between saying "robin should be the main rep not chrom" and "chrom sucks, give up he's boring" know what I mean? And I've seen some of that on multiple different character threads. And in my mind, I say "why not like both and see who gets in?"

Fair enough deviddo, another interesting point.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
The ONLY reason I'm opposed to Lucina is because she's a straight-up clone. I get she's a bonus, but it still seems unnecessary for her to have her own character slot if she's just a clone.

Dragon1128

Smash Cadet
Honestly, that's pretty much how it was with me.

I absolutely adore Chrom as both a character, and for his potential. However, I liked The tactician/MU/robin more. Hell, you can find me pretty dang early in the Robin thread when it was but a fledgling.

That said though, I always took Chrom as a given, and I kind of Resented him for it. I wanted robin, but I was certain Chrom would beat him out. I HATED the idea that they'd pass up somebody super unique like Robin for Chrom, simply because he's a "blue-haried" lord. And I'm saying all this with Chrom being my second favorite character in awakening, and easily top 5 characters in fire emblem.

With Robin in, I just feel bad that chrom isn't, especially with the way he was treated. All my resentment for chrom is gone.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Honestly, that's pretty much how it was with me.

I absolutely adore Chrom as both a character, and for his potential. However, I liked The tactician/MU/robin more. Hell, you can find me pretty dang early in the Robin thread when it was but a fledgling.

That said though, I always took Chrom as a given, and I kind of Resented him for it. I wanted robin, but I was certain Chrom would beat him out. I HATED the idea that they'd pass up somebody super unique like Robin for Chrom, simply because he's a "blue-haried" lord. And I'm saying all this with Chrom being my second favorite character in awakening, and easily top 5 characters in fire emblem.

With Robin in, I just feel bad that chrom isn't, especially with the way he was treated. All my resentment for chrom is gone.
This feedback is super legit guys, these posts are too awesome!

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
it's the little details and respect for the series that make smash bros so cool. lucina's eye, chrom x robin f.s., showcase of different magic weapons used, etc.. it doesnt matter if smashers who never played FE dont know.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I mean this is the best way, but, it slightly bothers me that a lot of people hated Chrom until Robin and/or Lucina was in, and now all the hate for him is just nonexistent for some for that reason alone.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than the "Thank god Chrom's not in Jesus" comments.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
it's the little details and respect for the series that make smash bros so cool. lucina's eye, chrom x robin f.s., showcase of different magic weapons used, etc.. it doesnt matter if smashers who never played FE dont know.

Actually it kinda does; they won't appreciate details they know nothing of. I know most of my friends don't give two poops about Lucinas eye, because they have never heard of Lucina. I'd argue big star power is what draws many to smash. We love the details, and we should, but sadly lots of people don't know or care. I do speak from experience however.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I'm typically against characters if I don't believe that character should be on the roster. This is kind of how I felt with Chrom. Now just to be clear, I like Chrom as a character in Awakening. He's a nice character with a good story and is a pretty useful unit overall. I also really like Awakening. I think it's an excellent strategy game, one that I was quite obsessed with it for some time after I got it, so naturally I wanted to see it represented in Smash. But I never wanted Chrom in Smash.

Ever since Fire Emblem was brought into Smash, its representation has been... Not so good. All the Fire Emblem characters in previous Smash games have been basic swordsmen who had rather similar appearances. The Fire Emblem series is one that is filled with diverse and unique characters, yet the characters in Smash make it seem like the opposite is true. It just wasn't good representation for the series, and I wanted that to improve. While I like Chrom fine, and while I really wanted Awakening to get a representative, I knew that he would just be, frankly, another blue-haired swordsman. Even if he was unique from Marth and Ike, he would represent nothing from Fire Emblem that Marth and Ike didn't. That's why I've supported Robin for so long. Robin could do what Chrom could not, and represent a little more of the diversity that Fire Emblem has to offer, as well as serve as a representative of Awakening. With such an ideal choice like that, I could never see the appeal in having Chrom in instead.

So basically, I was against Chrom because I believed he would not be a good representative of the Fire Emblem series, because he would offer little that was not already done by the other Fire Emblem characters, and because there was a much more ideal choice available. With all that considered, I thought Chrom shouldn't be on the roster; he's just not the best choice.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Well, I'm typically against characters if I don't believe that character should be on the roster. This is kind of how I felt with Chrom. Now just to be clear, I like Chrom as a character in Awakening. He's a nice character with a good story and is a pretty useful unit overall. I also really like Awakening. I think it's an excellent strategy game, one that I was quite obsessed with it for some time after I got it, so naturally I wanted to see it represented in Smash. But I never wanted Chrom in Smash.

Ever since Fire Emblem was brought into Smash, its representation has been... Not so good. All the Fire Emblem characters in previous Smash games have been basic swordsmen who had rather similar appearances. The Fire Emblem series is one that is filled with diverse and unique characters, yet the characters in Smash make it seem like the opposite is true. It just wasn't good representation for the series, and I wanted that to improve. While I like Chrom fine, and while I really wanted Awakening to get a representative, I knew that he would just be, frankly, another blue-haired swordsman. Even if he was unique from Marth and Ike, he would represent nothing from Fire Emblem that Marth and Ike didn't. That's why I've supported Robin for so long. Robin could do what Chrom could not, and represent a little more of the diversity that Fire Emblem has to offer, as well as serve as a representative of Awakening. With such an ideal choice like that, I could never see the appeal in having Chrom in instead.

So basically, I was against Chrom because I believed he would not be a good representative of the Fire Emblem series, because he would offer little that was not already done by the other Fire Emblem characters, and because there was a much more ideal choice available. With all that considered, I thought Chrom shouldn't be on the roster; he's just not the best choice.
But why not say, chrom and robin are good, I'll support both, rather than, this one is better, so the other has to go. It just doesn't make a lot of sense (heh) to me. Especially with the dlc push; people are still coming here saying chrom isn't any good, that he isn't worth it because we have other fe characters. Why not add more? Especially when our small sampling of movesets are so unique? What is wrong with supporting as many characters as you please? Example; me supporting Ridley, doesn't mean I have to abandon sylux or rundas as well. I'm just curious as to why some people kinda feel that way even after his deconfirmation.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Actually it kinda does; they won't appreciate details they know nothing of. I know most of my friends don't give two poops about Lucinas eye, because they have never heard of Lucina. I'd argue big star power is what draws many to smash. We love the details, and we should, but sadly lots of people don't know or care. I do speak from experience however.
Those details are for us Fire Emblem fans. Smash isn't just all about random fighters with no homage to their respective series whatsoever

And as a Fire Emblem fan, I'd appreciate Chrom being perfect as a FS more than being his own character and Robin's FS being replaced by Morgan/Frederick/etc. And non-FE fans don't care about Chrom so why does his inclusion matter then?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom