• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Anyone waiting to buy Smash 4 due to Adapter Shortage?

Are you waiting for the Adapter?

• Total voters

Patch Reilly

Smash Rookie
I was pumped to buy the new smash bros and use the adapter with my old WaveBird and other GC controllers. Little did I know that Nintendo was going to produce a surplus of Controllers to Adapters. I've called many GameStops, Walmarts, you name it. One GameStop employee informed me that they were only sent a TOTAL of 5000 in their warehouse, which is just terrible. Because I can't get an adapter, I delayed on buying the game, is anyone else doing the same?

Azew

Smash Lord
You know the Wii U Pro controller works just fine if you have one. I would just use that untill you can get an adapter.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
You know the Wii U Pro controller works just fine if you have one. I would just use that untill you can get an adapter.
I'll second this. It's probably not worth shelling out $45.00+ for one if you don't already own it, but if you do, it's pretty comfortable and I find it makes a decent alternative while we wait for the adapters to come down.

Patch Reilly

Smash Rookie
I wish I had one, I bought my Wii U in July for the sole purpose of MK8, Smash, New Zelda, and New Starfox.

Rojo Espada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rojo_Espada
3DS FC
4313-0371-7210
I'm using the gamecube controller you use to plug into the Wiimote.
I'm not liking it. I feels so damn flimsy and I'm willing to shell out 60 bucks for an adapter.

I want to use my old gc controller, mang.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
The WiiU Gamepad isn't all that bad. Sure its not my ideal means to play, but it certainly works. I think it would be better to just get the game and use the gamepad until they restock up on adapters and Gamecube controllers.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, if all you have is just a Gamepad and a Wii mote as a viable controller option, then yeah, I can see why you would want to hold off. The Gamepad isn't too bad, but I can see why people wouldn't want to use it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I bought the game, every amiibo, and the game cube controller.
However i've been unable to use my Game Cube controller, due to the adapter shortage.

Apparently most of them sold out at midnight launches.
Most retailers only received 2-4 of them.

I've been using the game pad, it's fine, although I wish I was homing my skills with the game cube controller.

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
My order (European) just got cancelled. Do I feel ****ing salty right now..

Of course too late to find the adapter anywhere else (unless I want to pay 90 bucks on Ebay, which I don't), so now I'm getting two controllers on Friday but no adapter.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. -_-

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
There's a shortage of Gamecube Adapters? I had no idea. I just walked in to my Gamestop and it was just right there.

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
Wii Classic Controller works just fine. Not as good as the Gamecube controller, but not awful like the Gamepad... or worse... the Wiimote.

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
Gamepad beats classic controller. Pro controller beats gamepad.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
When I picked mine up (I had the bundle pre-ordered), the clerk told me "You're really lucky you pre-ordered this. We got enough bundles to cover preorders, and exactly two more stand alone adapters than we had pre-orders."

Between this, and when they had to delay Brawl one month before launch because they hadn't printed enough copies to cover preorders, it's amazing how the big N continues to underestimate demand for Smash Bros.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
getting fed up with Nintendo. And a big F you to the slimeballs on Amazon/Ebay/Etc. taking advantage of the situation.

This is just ugly, and even considering how beautiful the game looks, I have no desire to play it right now. I'm spent more money than I'd like to admit on a game that has always been accessible and I've been a fan since the 64 but I'm just pissed at this point.

Tell me I'm overreacting tell me to just be patient, I'm passed all that... Never has a smash release been so deflating and frustrating. Hope the rest of you are having fun though. I'm just not going to spend another minute pretending I'm playing the game I'm supposed to when I'm not. 4.5k games played on the 3DS and I'm just spent waiting for this to be the game it was supposed to be.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
I got my adapter today at gamestop.

The girl who worked there told me how many people came in looking for adapters and asking if other locations had them.

I was using the pro controller while I waited for it to be available. I can say that it worked really well as an alternative, for any of you that may be waiting a while for your adapters.

the8thark

Smash Lord
And it works on other WiiU games / WiiU VC whereas the GC controller does not.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I waiting for the adapter, I only have the game pad.:(

Top Bottom