• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else try to use waddle doo beams?

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Lately, whenever I have a waddle doo walking around, I try to see when it's charging up and then try to knock my opponent into the beam. Since it holds them still and does a nice amount of damage, it's a great way to extend combos and just add some free damage to whatever you happen to be doing at the time. As an added bonus, people who get frustrated with this tomfoolery will sometimes try to kill the waddle doo so it's not walking around, giving you time to run up and dtilt/throw/whatever.

Defensively, I'll even try to keep a fight close to a waddle doo, so that on the off chance that I'm getting combo'd or am in a tight spot and the doo is unscathed, he might beam me an escape plan, and possibly turn the match around.

In short, Waddle doos are cool.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I sometimes try to grab my opponent and hold them while the Waddle doo shoots the beams. Although getting a kill from a Waddle dee that jumps at your opponent is the best :)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Beam ftw

Yeah, I either try to knock them into the oncoming beam, or set them up and grab them and hold them while the beam hits them.

Yay for Waddle-doos. :bee:

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I never focus on trapping them with a Doo beam but I always make sure I am 100% aware of where my Doo's are and what they are doing. If the opportunity arises I will try to force my opponent into it as they are excellent for setting up finishers. I have a replay saved on my Wii against my roommate's G&W on Delfino where the fight started like this - 1. throw Doo, 2. throw Dee, 3. G&W dash attacks me. 4. I shield grab and dthrow G&W into the Doo beam behind him. 5. Fsmash, G&W dead...about 7 seconds or so for a KO...I'll upload it to youtube when I'm not lazy.

Also I make some decent Doo beam use (in my opinion) in this video around 1:45:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2vmH5WHhQ

Quick edit: Be careful using the Doo beam against anyone with a reflector type attack, it'll come Right Back At Ya :chuckle:

Samus-T

Smash Lord
i never really try to set them up for it. but if they get shot ill just grab them or something hah

jaaboy

Smash Cadet
waddle KOs are hilarious
On topic: if i accidentally launch my opponent the wrong way across the board, while im running to the other side i typically try to edge gaurd with them. I just run and throw them at the same time as sometimes they will just straight up jump off the side of the stage and fall on the opponent, resulting in a semi metor smash of sorts. I am still experimenting with it though, not reliable but worth it.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
I guess if you can manage it, you should try to keep aware of what your waddles are doing, which is kinda hard if you're concentrating really hard.

But I wouldn't plan too far ahead with the beams. You basically get lucky if they hit. You can try to pressure them into it if it's convenient though.

Nexgenlink

Smash Cadet
Some where between The Lost Woods of Hyrule and Wa
I was once in a team match with IC on my side. I threw a waddle dee, he walked around as always, as my opponent went after the IC. They grabbed him, did a few chain grabs, threw him forward, just infront of the Waddle Dee which right attacked right then, sending him flying at me right when I did my Fsmash! The guy was Toon Link, he only had 20% damage and it was an instant KO!!!!

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
anytime im not activly pursueing a foe ill toss waddles until i get a doo on the map, theyre awesome for throwing off opponents and setting up combos.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
I usually keep tossing till I get a Doo and try to make it help me, the first time my Sheik maining friend got attacked by one was pretty funny, as he thought that they just stood there, giving me a chance to land a smash:laugh:!

Florida

イーグランツ
How come no one has mentioned the waddle doo beam -> fsmash combo? It's the most effective and powerful thing you can do with waddle doo's beams, and it gets kills from even at zero percent (on smaller stages). In bigger stages such as Final Destination, it's a bit better to use the beam to gather damage.

If you're worried about getting your opponent trapped in the beam, down throw works very well.

Top Bottom