• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else have On and off days in smash?

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Like some days you preform pretty well, You've got good reactions and spacing. Overall your preformace is solid.
And then days you're just awful, pretty much just the opposite. poor and sluggish reactions, terrible spacing, Just doing everything wrong.
I'm curious if anyone has issues like this.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
This happens to me a lot, as in literally every day, and it seriously pisses me off. Trying to be consistently good is my main enemy in pretty much everything I do, and Smash is no exception. It happens to me so often, I wonder if I ever actually improve at all, and if whatever wins I have are just from beating people who've only just started playing Smash, and even then I sometimes feel like the newcomers are better at the game than me. For example, at the moment I'm playing a complete scrub who only knows of the existence of Mac and Charizard's smash attacks, and I'm falling for nearly every stupid trick he's throwing at me, that I know I shouldn't even have to think abou dodging. Any other day, I'd wipe the floor with him, but today is not my day.

I also sometimes feel like it's a physical limitation, that I simply don't have the dexterity to pull off tricks like roll-cancelling grabs and DACUS and such, but I guess that's a different discussion.

Last edited:

AppleCracker

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I'm having a bad day I follow these steps...

1. Lose to someone who is really good
2. Change to Little Mac
3. Easy win

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Today for example I was playing as Robin, my main, A character who I've played over 1500 matches with online and I was just getting destroyed. It felt like I was playing smash for the first time.
I have no idea why this happened and its still happening, its like all my knowledge of the game is gone..

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I'm pretty sure this happens to everyone and in every competitive game in history.

I get it with Smash, Street Fighter, TF2, Counterstrike...
All of 'em

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
It happens. Back when I was playing Street Fighter it would happen to me every now and then. Sometimes I'd dominate for hours and then suddenly hit rock bottom and get wrecked for the rest of the night. Even worse, sometimes I'd have a bad phase and get wrecked for like a week straight.

Every competitive game is mostly mind games. You will have a greater chance to lose if you're in a bad mood, stressed out, have something on your mind, lose focus, get too confident or go on autopilot. The best thing to do when this happens is to calm down, takes some deep breaths, clear your mind and try again. Take a break if it continues to happen because you're just going to get frustrated and you'll just keep on performing badly.

D

Deleted member

Yes I do.
Somedays, I am in the zone! I am ready for a fight and I make some rather nasty combos and rack up high amounts of damage!
Other days... I feel tired and sluggish and I make rather poor moves and reads...

I've noticed this the most with some of my performances with Shulk. At my best, I carefully approach, use his awesome aerials nicely, and use his Monado Arts to their fullest potential. At my worst, I make rather poor reads and I make myself look like a poor Shulk player by spamming his counter almost consecutively even though I am aware that is a poor option.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
i know the feels, i am sometimes having a great time just winning all of my matches, then all of a sudden i start to get amazingly good players who just power shield and predict my every move, this and among other small tid bits just really bug me, especially if im up againts my worst match ups, but i do sometimes what a friend suggest

go into For Fun and just try to have fun....well if i get a game that doesnt lag it can indeed be very fun, like this one time 3 people used DK i was the only Shulk, the next game though all 4 of us decided to be Donkey kong, hehe and it was a lot of fun and it helped me relax

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
I think everyone will perform inconsistently on the ds version

GeZ

Smash Lord
This is just a john. If you don't perform well consistently suddenly, it just means that you have the propensity to not perform well within you, and something has caused it to come out.

You'll perform consistently well once you are consistently good/ familiar with the game, but no great player will have days where they perform like trash.

Worse? Absolutely. But going from crushing people to getting destroyed just means you have very definite flaws in your play that some people are just taking advantage of.

Basically, hit the lab more, play more, focus more, john less.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
I disagree, with such poor controls you will not perform consistently the above person must have never heard of M2K which makes me question their reliability as a source.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
This is just a john. If you don't perform well consistently suddenly, it just means that you have the propensity to not perform well within you, and something has caused it to come out.

You'll perform consistently well once you are consistently good/ familiar with the game, but no great player will have days where they perform like trash.

Worse? Absolutely. But going from crushing people to getting destroyed just means you have very definite flaws in your play that some people are just taking advantage of.

People can definitely have bad days. Whether it is due to lack of sleep/food/energy or something hindering performance, it happens. EVERY great player at sometime in his career have had games/tournaments where they haven't shown up like they should have. "Worse? Absolutely." - An even game can go to a crush fest for one person because of someone having a bad day + tilt ontop of that.

You're wrong.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Of course people can have good or bad days. It happens with everyone in everything. While obviously people who are better overall at something will have far fewer bad days, the fact is that we all are only human.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin

Part of my agrees with this but part of me doesn't.
I agree to the last part mainly. I need to hit the lab more and play more. but lately I have had days where I really don't feel like playing smash. Mainly due to Personal reasons though. And because of that I'm not consistently improving, I'm basically sliding down the hill that I've been climbing up.
I disagree with a lot though. I don't think that just because your a great player you won't have an off day. A player could go from amazing to just good. Don't get me wrong, "good" is good, but its not "amazing".
I'm not saying I'm a good player by any means, I actually think I'm pretty garbage at smash (all iterations) but I can still notice when I'm playing well(ish) or not.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I disagree, with such poor controls you will not perform consistently the above person must have never heard of M2K which makes me question their reliability as a source.
Firstly, M2K's johns are legendary. Don't even try to source that at me. Have you ever heard him talk about a match he lost where he didn't have a reason? I love the guy, but it's always his bad controller, or not getting sleep before, or not practicing enough, or not feeling it that day. And the controls are just something you gotta adjust to. They're kinda ****ty but there's no reason for you to consistently flub inputs on them after some time with them.

People can definitely have bad days. Whether it is due to lack of sleep/food/energy or something hindering performance, it happens. EVERY great player at sometime in his career have had games/tournaments where they haven't shown up like they should have. "Worse? Absolutely." - An even game can go to a crush fest for one person because of someone having a bad day + tilt ontop of that.

You're wrong.
While I admire the spirit, and respect the way you ended the post, you're missing a few things.

Going on tilt or having a bad match =/= getting destroyed for a day. It's completely true that all players have bad days. But there's an inherent difference between having a bad day, and being flattened by everyone you play for a day. If you suddenly and inexplicably can not take a game off of anyone, that's a psychological barrier, partly formed by that thought process of "I'm just having a bad day".

I go to weeklies for Melee, and one of the best tips I got from that was when I was playing against a guy and I would go even for the first half of the game and then get **** on the second half. After getting frustrated as hell I told him I wasn't really feeling it and was going to hit up another set up, and he told me to sit my ass down.

My problem, and what I think this problem a lot of you are voicing is, was that I would focus in the first half, and then lose a few exchanges and lose a stock early. From there I'd feel I needed to play aggressively to get that stock back, and I'd lose the game. The guy didn't let me leave the set up because I wouldn't have learned anything from those games if I left. I would've said "I just wasn't doing good in that MU today" and stayed bad at it.

Really competent players from all fighting games will tell you that one of the most important times to practice and grind out play is when you're really not feeling it, because that's the barrier. That's the wall you have to break down before you can continue to improve. Setting it off to the side is only parlaying it getting on you again.

Part of my agrees with this but part of me doesn't.
I agree to the last part mainly. I need to hit the lab more and play more. but lately I have had days where I really don't feel like playing smash. Mainly due to Personal reasons though. And because of that I'm not consistently improving, I'm basically sliding down the hill that I've been climbing up.
I disagree with a lot though. I don't think that just because your a great player you won't have an off day. A player could go from amazing to just good. Don't get me wrong, "good" is good, but its not "amazing".
I'm not saying I'm a good player by any means, I actually think I'm pretty garbage at smash (all iterations) but I can still notice when I'm playing well(ish) or not.
The disconnect with your disagreement is that this thread is people saying some days they can't win. They just get bodied by everyone. Great players have off days and go from amazing to good, but good doesn't lose to everyone. Good goes on tilt sometimes, but good doesn't lose all sense of fundamentals. It's a matter of extremes.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Okay if you think that than I'm afriad you find yourself disagreeing with most of the Professional and competitive community.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I would have never guessed two randoms on Smashboards represent the whole of the competitive community. Good **** guys. Totally unexpected.

Edit: That also wasn't really a counter argument but I'll rebuff anyway and say that I've played friendlies with Mike Ross, Marn, and the prodigy in Street Fighter, and gotten this sentiment or advice in part from them, as well as some really solid SoCal players in Melee teaching or explaining with the same general thoughts.

Double Edit: I appreciate OP's at least arguing with me though. Presenting points on both sides is what leads to greater understanding between parties, so good on Gabukin for at least trying with me.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
I would have never guessed two randoms on Smashboards represent the whole of the competitive community. Good **** guys. Totally unexpected.

Edit: That also wasn't really a counter argument but I'll rebuff anyway and say that I've played friendlies with Mike Ross, Marn, and the prodigy in Street Fighter, and gotten this sentiment or advice in part from them, as well as some really solid SoCal players in Melee teaching or explaining with the same general thoughts.

Double Edit: I appreciate OP's at least arguing with me though. Presenting points on both sides is what leads to greater understanding between parties, so good on Gabukin for at least trying with me.
Thats sooooooo cool. The fact that you call us randoms is funny too because no one knows who you are as well. I made my account like idk a month ish ago, did I ever say I was good? No. You have some points which are correct but some that are off. Obviously people can limit the way certain things effect them and try to not have a bad day. Yeah, losing like 30 games in one day can be mostly a psychological thing, but thats part of having a bad day. A bad day equates to someone playing off because of factors outside the game.

You don't know me, so don't say that I'm random. Did we ever say we represent the whole of the competitive community? No. Am I going to say that I'm better than you at smash or any other game? No, because I DON'T KNOW YOU

I have experience in many games at a competitive level, and many sports at a competitive level. People WILL have bad days.. "It's completely true that all players have bad days. But there's an inherent difference between having a bad day, and being flattened by everyone you play for a day." Not too much of a difference. If someone plays bad off the get go and starts playing more and more on tilt, that is a bad day.

If I misunderstood anything point it out to me, but don't accuse and bully on this thread because you think you're god, and above everyone else.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
I've played against real pros like Seibrik, Jtails and Dabuz and talk to a lot of the top battlers all the time, they say he same thing.

Also don't discriminate based on message count or join date ,I'd destroy you anyday.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
I've played against real pros like Seibrik, Jtails and Dabuz and talk to a lot of the top battlers all the time, they say he same thing.

Also don't discriminate based on message count or join date I'd destroy you anyday.
Don't provoke. You don't know him, he doesn't know you. You saying that you're better than him without even knowing who he is without playing him is childish.

Read what I said above, "You don't know me, so don't say that I'm random. Did we ever say we represent the whole of the competitive community? No. Am I going to say that I'm better than you at smash or any other game? No, because I DON'T KNOW YOU"

Theres no point arguing over something so stupid. "I'm better than you and I've never seen you play" STFU

GeZ

Smash Lord
Newer posters/ players have a tendency to circle jerk over things that are opinions. I was getting that kind of vibe, though I see now that I was wrong.

I would just like to throw out that this:
Okay if you think that than I'm afriad you find yourself disagreeing with most of the Professional and competitive community.
is easily misconstrued, because it's not necessarily saying you represent the whole community, but there's some level of inference.

I have experience in many games at a competitive level, and many sports at a competitive level. People WILL have bad days.. "It's completely true that all players have bad days. But there's an inherent difference between having a bad day, and being flattened by everyone you play for a day." Not too much of a difference. If someone plays bad off the get go and starts playing more and more on tilt, that is a bad day.
This is totally right, I'm just trying to outline for players that may have less of a firm grasp on this^ that while it may be psychological, there are things to be done about this, and letting it stop at, well I had a bad day, is limiting to player growth, in my opinion.

Still I was writing condescendingly and that's some ****, so I'm sorry. You're alright Elegant.

Edit: Also I totally want to get a few games in with Negoksai, not because I think I'll win (I have relatively mediocre fundamentals in Smash 4) but because getting bodied is good practice, and I'm super down to get tips. Wanna go duder? Though your next post is not so level, and I expect a lot of "GET **** ON" after you beat me, I'm always down for learning. I don't think the small screen is that bad though. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
I don't need to see him play, claiming that terrible controls dont interfere with your ability to play the game not to mention the small screen and laaaaaag, is enough to assume I'd need 2mins tops to flatten him.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Edit: Also I totally want to get a few games in with Negoksai, not because I think I'll win (I have relatively mediocre fundamentals in Smash 4) but because getting bodied is good practice, and I'm super down to get tips. Wanna go duder? Though your next post is not so level, and I expect a lot of "GET **** ON" after you beat me, I'm always down for learning.

I don't think the small screen is that bad though too. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Newer posters/ players have a tendency to circle jerk over things that are opinions. I was getting that kind of vibe, though I see now that I was wrong.

I would just like to throw out that this:

is easily misconstrued, because it's not necessarily saying you represent the whole community, but there's some level of inference.

This is totally right, I'm just trying to outline for players that may have less of a firm grasp on this^ that while it may be psychological, there are things to be done about this, and letting it stop at, well I had a bad day, is limiting to player growth, in my opinion.

Still I was writing condescendingly and that's some ****, so I'm sorry. You're alright Elegant.

Edit: Also I totally want to get a few games in with Negoksai, not because I think I'll win (I have relatively mediocre fundamentals in Smash 4) but because getting bodied is good practice, and I'm super down to get tips. Wanna go duder? Though your next post is not so level, and I expect a lot of "GET **** ON" after you beat me, I'm always down for learning. I don't think the small screen is that bad though. Just sayin.
I'll be buying a Wii U for Smash 4 so if you want to play anytime hmu, always looking for other competitive players to get better with haha.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
No, I just want to beat you because I'm sick of the discrimination on this website, from mods and the community. I spend hours reading threads the only time I usually post is with meaningful information while people who spend the same amount of time on "Ridley 4 SMASH 4" threads get mkre respect and opinions are valued by this community.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Sitting at a 91% win rate and yeah, some days I'll lose like 2 matches, I hate my off days, laggy Rosalinas are the worst.

No, I just want to beat you because I'm sick of the discrimination on this website, from mods and the community. I spend hours reading threads the only time I usually post is with meaningful information while people who spend the same amount of time on "Ridley 4 SMASH 4" threads get mkre respect and opinions are valued by this community.
So act like a child and tell people you will "flatten" them in a video game, you have my respect bro, I hope to see more meaningful posts from you.

Last edited:

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Warning Received
People like you are the reason people like me aren't taken seriously. go back to the Rodley 4 smash 4 thread it's where your kind belongs.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
People like you are the reason people like me aren't taken seriously. go back to the Rodley 4 smash 4 thread it's where your kind belongs.
I don't understand why you're so mad. Its really quite funny lol.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I didn't even support Ridley, now you just sound silly, what crawled up your butt? lol

People like you are the reason people like you aren't taken seriously.

Last edited:

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I just had that today when playing my mains :4duckhunt: :4falcon:

The easiest solution is to either save replays of your losses to see what you're doing wrong. Or just go :4littlemac: like everyone else and win everything.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Yeah, it happens from time to time. I recently started playing worse than I usually do in Sm4sh. I was utterly destroying everyone in For Glory with Kirby and Greninja. (mostly Kirby) Then I kinda lost my knowledge or reflexes at the moment. I'm sure they're come back eventually.

Same thing for League of Legends.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
All the ****ing time. Some days I can play the best ****ing Tink. Other days I play like it was my very first smash game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh yeah.

Rosalina cannot handle lag.

Or my tiredness.

Or my dermatitis when it's especially bad.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Probably just a john from me, but any form of lag completely messes up my momentum on Shulk and Mega Man.

Top Bottom