• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else gone Back to Brawl since 3DS Release?

ferioku

Smash Ace
I still play Brawl, Smash 64, and Melee to this day even while Smash 4 is still out. I love all the Smash games equally. I love how each game is completely unique from each other and has its own strengths:

Smash 64: For newcomers learning how to play
-The most simplest Smash and by far the best introduction to Smash Bros for newcomers wanting to get in the series. Not all mechanics from Melee and onward are implemented, making it easier to learn. This game is for the complete newcomer who finds Smash confusing and doesn't know how to start. Once they mastered 64 and learned the rules of Smash, they can move on with confidence to other installments and master those games.
-A game all about the combos. With the massive hitstun and the extremely satisfying sound you hear whenever you land a hit, combo-enthusiasts are sure to have a blast.
-The most chaotic 4-player free-for-all experience next to Smash 4. Especially with items on.
-Has the best items in the entire series. It's actually really fun to turn items on in this game and they always improve the experience rather than hinder it.

But I will say that Melee's 4-player is BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIIIIING. ;)
Oh hell no you didn't just say 64 is the simplest and for newcomers!

D

Deleted member 269706

One of my friends had a bday party the other day, so we decided to play Brawl at his place. I totally suck after going back to the Wiimote + nun-chuck...Still better than most of the guys, but still, I was so much worse than I used to be.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
So guys just curious has anyone else gone back to Brawl since release of the 3DS version I don't now why but I find myself going back quite often either for events or just playing as my mains:popo::lucas::wolf: (hoping for their valiant return in Wii U) Maybe it's also the controls I don't really know but I can't be the only one.. Right ?
Well somehow Smash Bros. Brawl got in as a game for Apex 2015, so it's bound to be played again by competitive players.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Only when I feel the need to destroy my younger brother's dreams.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, I think I'll still keep Balanced Brawl around just to practice for Smash 4 if needed.

Like it or not, Smash 4 is like Brawl+ (not Brawl 2.0, Brawl+)

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Okay so this either means

a.) You haven't been following Smash 4 at all

or b.) You're not getting Smash Wii U

Both of these are a sin, so shame on you.

JK, but seriously, swimming is in Smash 4.
Uh...

That post I made was from October 14 I think.
I don't think we knew about the swimming mechanic returning in the Wii U version at that time...

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
I'll play Wii U.
I'll play 3DS.
I'll play Brawl.
I'll play Project M.
I'll play Melee.
I'll play N64.
I'll play any Smash game as long as I can get people to play them with me, as that's all I want from Smash Bros.

On a slightly off topic note, I actually preferred Brawl because the feeling I got from other people playing with me was a more casual vibe, while Melee and Project M made people more serious. Also, tripping, when playing incredibly casually with friends, led to Mario Party hidden block type shenanigans. I absolutely live for those moments.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
To quote Shakespeare " I would rather get beat over the head with a sledge hammer well playing super man 64" ~2014 anyway in all seriousness I play brawl a lot... How else would I get to project M?

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
Since Brawl is the best smash to date, of course i still go back to it
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

In reality, I did go back to Brawl quite a bit to play pre-nerfed Marth and some Wolf, I also entered a few Brawl tournies and won those, so of course I played Brawl to practice for them. I played some Project M to to practice wavedashing.

But Smash 4 is my favorite by far, both 3DS and Wii U.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I do replay Brawl partly because of Lucas, partly because it's the first Smash I've played, partly because Brawl items don't feel as broken as some of Smash 4's (Gust Bellows, Boss Galaga, etc.), and partly because I don't have Wii U version yet and my friends don't have 3DS.

Grass

Smash Lord
Gonna be honest, Smash 4 kinda trumps brawl in so many areas it's not funny. The only reason I'd play Brawl again is to prep for a brawl only tourney.

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
I'm a confident Falco main in Brawl. Unfortunately too, because no one else will bother to play it. Sometimes I like to make sure I can still Bdacus efficiently, enjoy SHDL... maybe chainspike a little. Then I go play horrible smash4 Falco and remind myself to find a new main.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'll play Brawl.

Mostly for BrawlEX packs.

Other than that, I've moved on. But I'll play any smash where there's other players and a free controller.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
No way. Both versions of Smash 4 are so much better then Brawl due to how sluggish that game was. Only game prior to Smash 4 I'll go back to is Melee, but that's it.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
LOL going back to Brawl. The only game I've gone back to is Project M. No point in playing a game that isn't very rewarding.

Nomein

Smash Rookie
I'd probably only go back to Brawl for Subspace. There's nothing else the game offers me that 3DS doesn't already do better.

so... did ice climbers make it back into smash WiiU? i havent heard...
They did not. They don't want certain characters being exclusively in one version of the game. Ice Climbers just weren't high priority.

Last edited:

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
I'd probably only go back to Brawl for Subspace. There's nothing else the game offers me that 3DS doesn't already do better.

They did not. They don't want certain characters being exclusively in one version of the game. Ice Climbers just weren't high priority.
I agree with only for sub space.... and i know climbers werent in 3ds because of hardware limitations, but the wiiU shouldnt have those limits... but good guy sakurai wants both versions to be equal lol

Nomein

Smash Rookie
I agree with only for sub space.... and i know climbers werent in 3ds because of hardware limitations, but the wiiU shouldnt have those limits... but good guy sakurai wants both versions to be equal lol
That, and also because IC are low priority. They'll probably never get another game in their series again.

Besides 8-player Smash would make 16 ice climbers all at once possible, which I doubt would do the game any favors either.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Fraid not, but I might someday. The main problem is the disc's scratched and doesn't want to work :/

When I do get the chance though, I go back to play as Snake! Those were the days...

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I would only go back just for the Subspace Emissary. Always really enjoyed that.
But with P:M and all that making up for lost characters that I don't even play (Although I do miss Lucas simply because I actually played his game and I absolutely loved it), I see no other reason to go back.

Besides, I just have no doubt most of the cut Brawl vets (or at LEAST Lucas, IceClimbers, and Wolf) will get a DLC pack...
Until then, Rest in Pepperoni :lucas::ivysaur: :popo: :snake:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
The only reason I'd play Brawl is to play Brawl - or Project M. Natural Brawl is barely tolerable to me.

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
So guys just curious has anyone else gone back to Brawl since release of the 3DS version I don't now why but I find myself going back quite often either for events or just playing as my mains:popo::lucas::wolf: (hoping for their valiant return in Wii U) Maybe it's also the controls I don't really know but I can't be the only one.. Right ?
you aren't! I thought I was the only one! I just feel the sudden urge to play brawl over Sm4sh for some reason!!

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I went back to Brawl for an afternoon for some reason (I guess I didn't have anything better to do) and it felt a bit weird. Seeing the much smaller roster of Brawl after playing Smash Wii U was a little odd, but seeing how overpowered Olimar was compared to his Smash 4 version was even more jarring. I mean, I knew he had been nerfed, but I hadn't played Brawl in so long that I kind of forget how strong he was in that game. Granted, the greater experience I had with Brawl Olimar than with Smash 4 Olimar probably added to that as well, even if I was never all that great at him by competitive standards.

The other thing that I was aware of, but didn't really realize until playing Brawl again was just how many of its stages came back in Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U. I remember looking at the stage list and wanting to play Brawl stages and noticing that most of my favorites ones were also available in Smash 4. That's not really meant as a criticism of Smash 4 (I was glad to see Isle Delfine and Co. return), just an observation.

Would I go back to Brawl in the future? Possibly, if only to play as the Ice Climbers/non-nerfed Olimar and go through subspace again. Playing Brawl again definitely helped me appreciate Smash 4's focus on balancing the roster, so I don't want to second guess that design choice. That said, I'd like to see a huge crossover story mode like the subspace emissary again. I think it could be fun to see how some of the new characters would work together. I guess the trade off would be fewer newcomers, but I'm honestly okay with that given the current roster size.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
Nah. Smash 4 beats Brawl in every way for me. It's the sequel I wish we would've gotten in 2008.

If I want to play Ice Climbers or Snake, I'll play Melee or PM, and I really don't care about Wolf and Lucas, because they were so cloney.

I'll play Brawl if it's the only Smash available where I am, but I'm not going to go out of my way to play it.

I don't get why people would go back for SSE if they have the 3DS version. SSE didn't live up to expectations, especially with its mostly generic enemies, and Smash Run is basically the same gameplay but with actual crossover enemies.

Last edited:

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
"I really don't care about Wolf and Lucas, because they were so cloney."

...what?

Last edited:

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
"I really don't care about Wolf and Lucas, because they were so cloney."

...what?
Clone-ish? Clone-esque? They weren't straight up clones like some of Smash 4's or Melee's characters, so I don't want to just call them "clones," but I find it hard to miss them when Wolf was basically a SECOND clone of Fox, and Lucas was so similar to Ness.

I know they were played very differently from their base characters, but they didn't bring a lot of individuality to the table as far as I'm concerned.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
No, I never went back to brawl, the tripping in that game was just so bad.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I know I already stated when if I will ever play brawl again, but since the Wii U version has been out for awhile now...

I honestly haven't let the disk out of the Wii U ever since I got smash 4. Same goes for 3ds (Even gamecube for melee at my other house) but I can tell you that I probably won't touch brawl at this point. Not even for those characters that are in brawl that did not made it in smash 4. Not even for subspace, however I still might touch PM. Not for the gameplay which is fun too, but for subspace they added back in and all the stages they got along with characters that are not in smash 4. I still have a Wii, near the Wii U, but there is higher quality to play Wii games on Wii U except I can't use a gamecube controller for wii games at all. Even if I go to the Wii to use the gamecube controller, I'd probably play smash 64 than brawl which is a sad thing for me to say.

I may be bashing on brawl here but I'll tell you now that I love brawl, just not as much as other smash games. I'll give brawl credit that i can still go ahead and play and just unlock something like a new song to this day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom