• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody "feeling" the Wii U Pro now that they've had plenty of time with the 3DS version?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

So like many of you, I'm pretty set on using the GCC whenever it's possible I can use it...but as we all know, GCC > 3DS adapters are generally not the norm. We've all probably gotten pretty used to the 3DS controls by now I would imagine.

I'm honestly thinking of moving in to Smash Wii U on the WUP. They are slick as heck controllers, and they mimic the button placement of the 3DS.

Even further, now that I have a *new* 3DS LL (with the c-stick), I've gotten more acquainted with my c-stick being placed above the buttons. None of this is something I expected would happen, it just naturally occurred from frequent play. It will also ensure that I have no issue swapping to the Wii U Gamepad should I absolutely want or need to play off-screen. Also, something just feels right about going with the new "flagship" generation controller.

In any case, wondering if anyone else has the same type of similar thoughts? Anyone else reconsidering their controller type in Wii U Smash?

Last edited by a moderator:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Well I was pretty dead set on GC only play but I've atleast given it enough thought to play with the Pro and the game pad because I wanna be good with pretty much every controller except Wii mote I don't really care for that controller.

Seeing how we can map the conrollers to any setting we like. I'm definatly going to be giving a new controller with a new gen system a try. It could be a new beginning. So when Smash 5 comes I won't be panicking about not having a GC controller by my side.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm more than likely going to be using the Wii U Pro or Gamepad as my main controller option for the Wii U version, especially after playing the 3DS version so much. I haven't played with a Gamecube controller in many, MANY years so I'm sure it will feel weird or different if I try to use it. I don't want that feeling the moment I boot up the Wii U version so I'll stick to what I'm most comfortable with.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I was going to use the Wii U Gamepad or the Wii U Pro controller, but now that I've seen the Direct and will be able to use the Wii's Classic Controller, I'm very tempted to give that a try, since I used that one in Brawl and I found it very comfortable.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
lolnope

#GCC4lyfe
#aCCProisfinetoo

It's a great controller. Decided I don't really need the GCN Adapter. The Wii U Pro Controller will work just fine.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
wii u pro is fine for me because at least it has a c stick and a proper analog stick

Don't get me wrong tho, I <3 Smash Melee, and i didnt really like brawl all that much

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I got classic controller pro a few weeks ago. I'm fine with that, I can use it with project m and smash 4 on my wii u. It's a really nice controller.

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
Going with the Wii U Pro myself. Learning new control schemes doesn't take long at all. I imagine it'll be uncomfortable for awhile (I'd much rather the right stick be swapped with the 4 action buttons), but it'll grow on me.

I find it silly to buy such a strange controller or adapter for one game, though I see why those with a surplus of GC controllers would do it.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
GC. The Pro is for my friends who don't have GC controllers to bring over.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Might stick with the GC controller. I don't own a Pro controller but the GC's octagon gates helps with the accuracy and I find the c-stick's position a bit more comfortable than the Pro's 2nd stick. The GC controller feels more natural to me for Smash overall.

This isn't to say the Pro controller is bad or anything but GC seems to be where I do my best of ability on Smash. Helps that I have the Wavebird controller too, it's extra comfy <3

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I had every intention of rocking the Wii U Pro Controller for Smash 4. For one, I was a Classic Controller user in Brawl, and for 2 I like the GamePad but prefer the more standard shape of the Pro, it's basically a 360 controller with Nintendo's own twist and I dunno about you, but those controllers are comfy as hell.

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
Probably not, however I will for the first few hours of having the game.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I'm considering canceling my pre_order for my Hori Fight Pad on favor of using the Pro Controller that I already own.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Buying the Pro Controller even sounds like que wiser choice since there are no other games that will use the GCC yet. I planned getting one at some point, but I wanted the adapter in case people who came over wanted the Gamecube option, and since there is that bundle with the adapter and controller, I might already be set.
Another option I'm certain to try out is the 3DS one since I'm already pretty comfortable with it.

wmo_

Smash Cadet
once I found out avgerage input lag is 6ms for bluetooth wii u pro controller, I'm going to use that. plus I prefer a button for shield like the wii u pro controller L and R. I rather a quick short button than long triggers like the GC controller.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
I'd preferably go with the Wii U Pro Controller, as I've been used to it for a long time now. The GC controller is pretty great too.
I'd probably use the GC controller for tournaments to avoid the wireless issue, though.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't have any pro controllers, that ****s expensive. I'll probably mostly use the GCC but often perhaps the gamepad. I love the gamepad

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Would the corded GC controller be better for online due to input lag?

wmo_

Smash Cadet

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
input lag compared to the pro controller is too small. we're talking maybe 6-10ms difference. still less than a frame. a guy tested a wireless ps4 controller vs a wired fight pad and results were opposite of expected, somehow the wireless controller had earlier inputs than the wired fight stick. http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/8147298/#Comment_8147298
OOOO now I have a problem. I don't know what controller to use since I have 4 GC pads and 4 Wii U pro pads lol

Chrono.

I used the Classic Controller back in Brawl so I plan on upgrading to a Wii U Pro very soon.

Khao

Smash Lord
I've actually been using the Pro Controller to play Brawl, Melee and Project M on Dolphin, so I wouldn't even need to adapt to it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the 8-Player announcement means I'm going to need the adapter if I want to have controllers available for every player, so might as well use the Gamecube one.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I've actually been using the Pro Controller to play Brawl, Melee and Project M on Dolphin, so I wouldn't even need to adapt to it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the 8-Player announcement means I'm going to need the adapter if I want to have controllers available for every player, so might as well use the Gamecube one.
How does the stick feel with the U pro for Smash? Is it easier to do tilts and not screw up like the circle pad?

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
Dang it, now I'm starting to get doubts in my mind! O_O

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Depends on how much easier advanced techniques are on the Pro Controller. If there's no difference then Gamecube fo life lol

Khao

Smash Lord
How does the stick feel with the U pro for Smash? Is it easier to do tilts and not screw up like the circle pad?
It's pretty much the same as the Gamecube's stick, just without the octagonal shape thingy. The right stick being over the buttons is pretty much the only thing's that actually takes a while to get used to, but once you do, it's really not inherently worse than the other way.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
It's pretty much the same as the Gamecube's stick, just without the octagonal shape thingy. The right stick being over the buttons is pretty much the only thing's that actually takes a while to get used to, but once you do, it's really not inherently worse than the other way.
Awesome thanks. Now I need to decide which controller will be my main lol.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Hmmm. I have tried several controllers in brawl so I'm interested in how a pro controller will roll. Although I love the Gc controller. It seems like it was made for smash. I will try both!

Edit: I want an N64 controller adapter! That was the best smash controller. I'm OG!

Last edited:

FellaMcFellerson

Smash Rookie
NNID
FellaMcFellerson
3DS FC
1332-8566-3095
I bought a Pro Controller when I bought my Wii U in preparation for Smash (this was before the Adapter was announced). I've been flipping between the Pro Controller and the Adapter, but I actually think I'll be trying both. Might stick with the Gamecube Controller in the end, though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'll certainly be using the Pro Controller, it's very good overall. Works great for every other game.
I'm also (probably) the only person that doesn't like the GameCube controller, so I have no plans to get the adapter.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I want to try using the Classic Controller...does anyone know if they're good for Smash?
I used it for Brawl for like 95% of the time that I played it. In some ways I like it better, in others I don't. It's not a bad controller for Smash at all but it made my hands cramp more than the GCN one did. Though the control sticks were clearly better.

Why can't I just get a Gamecube controller with 360 sticks? That'd be the perfect controller.

tuterking

Smash Rookie
NNID
TuterKing
3DS FC
1435-4089-0435
Pro controller for sure. We will have to wait and see what happens but I have a feeling you might see people stop using GCC after a while. People just need to remember that the only reason you needed it for brawl was that the Wii controllers sucked. Seeing as I'm doing just find with the 3ds I know that the pro controller will just be awesome.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Thanks to Brawl, I've learned a new configuration that I've stuck with ever since. Wiimote+Nunchuk is was ideal, so I could map those buttons to any controller, the same was done for 3ds. I've greatly considered a Pro now (even though it was horrible at Smash Fest, because 2 min session what are teh buttons etc). The only controller I own for Wii U is the Gamepad so I might most likely just stick with that, and if not I'll use the Wiimote+Nunchuk again.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Anybody "feeling" the Wii U Pro?
I'm really feeling it...

No, seriously, screw the GCN, I'm gonna use Gamepad, Classic Pro and Wii U Pro, oh and 3DS.

Farorae

Smash Ace
I think the Pro controller is great but I often hit the wrong button thinking it's the GCN and do the wrong action, so I'll probably switch between the two every now and then. Though I'll probably use the GCN much more often because I'm not too fond of the right analog stick on the pro controller.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If they release an eShop demo I'll play that with the Pro Controller/GamePad no problem.

However, full game is going to be GameCube from Day One for me. I'll use the GamePad if I really need to, though.

Top Bottom