• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody Else Worried About the Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddoe

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this has been talked about, but I've been worried about how I'm going to control the game. Obviously I can't just plug in my GC controller (I know there are third-party adapters but who's to say Sm4sh will support them?)
I can't see myself playing the game with the gamepad, or whatever it's called.

Has anybody heard anything or thought of any new ways to control Smash 4?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's dangerous to go alone. Take this!

Works just as fine if not better than a Gamecube controller.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's the Wii U Pro controller, which is basically a "normal" controller that's pretty light and has practically infinite battery life. Only problem is the lack of a wired option, but you never know when Nintendo will pull out an update or something.

Ninja'd.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I think most people will (understandably) use the classic pro controller, and that's what I would recommend as well. There might be a few people using the Wiimote, if it's possible.

I'm going to use a PS3 controller converter. That's pretty new, right?

Last edited:

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
I've been using the Wii classic controller to help adapt to the WiiU pro controller.
Not bad.
I have Y as special and B and A as attack and X for jump and it works ok for me. Takes a bit to adjust but not as godawful as I initially expected.

Last edited:

fill

20EggsEggs
I've been using the Wii classic controller to help adapt to the WiiU pro controller.
Not bad.
I have Y as special and B and A as attack and X for jump and it works ok for me. Takes a bit to adjust but not as godawful as I initially expected.
im doing the same thing, i play alot of melee, but im trying to play pm with the classic pro to switch to the wii u pro. my biggest complaint is when switching is the thumbstick, but i think i might pick up a wii u pro when MK8 comes out so it will be the normal controller i use.

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
The only thing that I am worried about at this point is the lack of the eight corners around the analog sticks, but I do not really think that will be a big concern.

I had trouble adapting to the SNES controller at first. I kept thinking A should be jump, but then I got confused between the Nintendo button layout and the 360 layout, then I would remember that it should be X or Y because it is smash after I already changed it. Stacking on the vague memory of Smash 64, where the C-buttons were used for jump which was more like making X and A as jump while having Y as special and B as attack made it even more confusing,

But now I just have it at its default. X and Y = Jump. B = Special. A = Attack. X, B, and A are all actually in about the same positions in relation to each other as the Gamecube controller's Y, B, and A. My problem with the SNES controller is having the left stick down at the bottom, which feels very unnatural. So I intend on switching to the gamepad or pro controller. I will miss those eight corners, but that Playstation style analog stick placement has never been comfortable for me and I would not be able to have the corners on the 3DS anyway.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Honestly, I find the Wii U Pro controller more comfortable than a GC controller. Sure I haven't use the WUP for a Smash game yet because let's face it, I can't, but I have high hopes for it.

The only thing that I am worried about at this point is the lack of the eight corners around the analog sticks, but I do not really think that will be a big concern.
This is what I'm worried about too. I used to have a fake GC controller and with it I'd keep inputting the wrong attacks or misaiming my UpBs when trying to recover because the joystick didn't have anything to lock it into place. I have also had similar issues with a PS3 controller in regards to non-Smash games for the same reason.

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Not bad.
That is EXACTLY the method I've been using! I sure hope I can configure the Gamepad/Pro Controller/3DS to behave that way.

For over a decade I thought the GC controller was the only way to go, but it was only cuz I was used to it. I got used to this new layout in just a matter of weeks. :)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
There are a lot of controller threads. They all just end up turning into arguments about lag... then they get locked or forgotten.

I'll probably pick up a Wii U pro controller and like 29 handhelds... L and R= trash on those.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
When people make topics like this I assume that the GameCube was their first Nintendo console. I know Nintendo's controllers have changed drasticaly through the generations as opposed to the norm other Console devs has established, but you guys have no worries as you will adapt. The Wii U pro controller is quite something and it's traditional/modern design is really for the better. Hopefully this is the design choice we will have for the reminder of Nintendo's life-span. I think the Wii's control scheme for brawl has caused everyone to think that the gamecube controller is the only one that can properly handle smash lol.

When people make topics like this I assume that the GameCube was their first Nintendo console. I know Nintendo's controllers have changed drasticaly through the generations as opposed to the norm other Console devs has established, but you guys have no worries as you will adapt. The Wii U pro controller is quite something and it's traditional/modern design is really for the better. Hopefully this is the design choice we will have for the reminder of Nintendo's life-span. I think the Wii's control scheme for brawl has caused everyone to think that the gamecube controller is the only one that can properly handle smash lol.
I don't think it's that the GC was the first Nintendo system they owned, but that the GC controller is to smash what an arcade stick is to fighting games.

D

Deleted member

As many people have said, the Wii U Pro is a good choice. It's not bad at all, especially if you've already adapted to controllers with a similar layout like I have eg. the Xbox 360 controller.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Smash can only be played with the GCN controller...not...
The Gamepad suits all your gaming needs! It's one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever made, durable, the buttons are textured, well-positioned, it has a goddamn screen, sturdy control sticks. I don't think I'll ever be buying a pro controller, being able to do a lot of things on the background with the Gamepad...you just get used to good stuff like that too fast, stuck? Quickly! Quick Gamepad search on the Internet, search up stats, passwords, reviews, videos, etc. Upload to Miiverse, check the eShop...

D

Deleted member

The Gamepad suits all your gaming needs! It's one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever made, durable, the buttons are textured, well-positioned, it has a goddamn screen, sturdy control sticks. I don't think I'll ever be buying a pro controller, being able to do a lot of things on the background with the Gamepad...you just get used to good stuff like that too fast, stuck? Quickly! Quick Gamepad search on the Internet, search up stats, passwords, reviews, videos, etc. Upload to Miiverse, check the eShop...
One that will most likely be useless for Smash. And I've also gotten hand cramps from the using gamepad as well (the main culprit being those damned shoulder and trigger buttons), while I've gotten no such cramps using a Wii U Pro. And why bother using the gamepad to search up stuff on the internet when I have my laptop next to me anyway?
Either way this isn't about how great the gamepad is, it's about alternate controller options for Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I'll be using the Pro Controller unless Nintendo comes out with a GC compatible controller.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
One that will most likely be useless for Smash. And I've also gotten hand cramps from the using gamepad as well (the main culprit being those damned shoulder and trigger buttons), while I've gotten no such cramps using a Wii U Pro. And why bother using the gamepad to search up stuff on the internet when I have my laptop next to me anyway?
Either way this isn't about how great the gamepad is, it's about alternate controller options for Smash.
I don't know how your hands work then...
I think we should get all the options from Brawl except the GCN of course. Standalone Wiimotes saved my life more than once, being the difference between friends being able to play or not.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
It's also clunky and way too big for my hands. Since the WUP Controller has the exact same button layout, I may as well just use that as it's more comfortable to me.

D

Deleted member

I don't know how your hands work then...
I think we should get all the options from Brawl except the GCN of course. Standalone Wiimotes saved my life more than once, being the difference between friends being able to play or not.
We're definitely going to get multiple controller options without a doubt.
And the whole hand-cramping thing is coming from a person who has been gaming for a majority of his life, and has had no such problem with any other controller ever. I've heard my friends and other people complaining about cramps as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Most positive person about Nintendo on this forum. Gets flamed the most for liking Brawl. Shame stuff like that happens.

I like the Gamepad but I don't want to wear it down with Smash bros.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It's also clunky and way too big for my hands. Since the WUP Controller has the exact same button layout, I may as well just use that as it's more comfortable to me.
Clunky? I guess it's just a matter of opinion, I find it smooth and comfortable.

Vital Tundra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vital Tundra
3DS FC
1848-2159-5405
Ehh in reality the Gamecube controller isn't all that great. Its just what many of us are comfortable with. The Pro Controller will be just fine.

Khao

Smash Lord
The Pro controller is pretty ****ing good, I just bought a Wii U a couple of days ago and I'm already loving that thing, it's really comfortable.

Just have to get used to the right stick being above the buttons and I'm good to go. Still don't really understand the choice, but it's not inherently bad, just not used to it.

As for the Gamepad... First time I held it, I was like "This is really awkward and flat and humongous, how am I supposed to enjoy a game with this thing?"

But once you get used to it's size, and the separation of both your hands and the shoulder buttons, it gets pretty good. Especially if you let it rest on your lap so you can relax your hands from that awkward flat grip, in a pretty short while, you totally forget about how weird the controller is. Again, just have to get used to the right stick.

Morbi

Scavenger
Right now; I am using the Wii Pro Controller, I am probably going to switch over to the Wii U Pro Controller when the game launches. I don't want to become dependent on any controller, like I was with the Gamecube controller. I couldn't play without it, it wasn't healthy.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
What HyperFalcon said, it's recent, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom