• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody else view Sakurai as an old friend?

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
I had never actually heard of Sakurai until a year ago when the new Dojo launched, and we had daily updates. He was just a stranger to me, but because I'm such a large Smash Bros. fan, I followed the updates.

However, unlike your ordinary game site, Sakurai's updates had something unique: a soul. Among the first updates on the site was the Gooey Bomb item, which can be passed from player to player before it explodes. In the update, Sakurai says:

"Get... GET IT OFF!"
"Then it explodes! Oh, the horror!"

Naturally, many people reading the site at the time found this strange. Sakurai seemed a little TOO excited about this item.

But as we continued to read the updates, it didn't feel so bad anymore. We grew to enjoy Sakurai's zaniness, and his various jokes. He was like a pal. Instead of sounding like press releases, his updates felt more among "Hey guys, check this out, this is really cool!" Not only that, but among details of the delay and such, he sounded sincerely apologetic and sad to have to break the news.

This emotion really made Brawl's hype larger than any game before it. To me, it feels like Sakurai's about to give the best birthday present ever to a longtime friend.

The-Judge

Banned via Administration
I agree. Sakurai is cool, and he describes the stuff in a cool and understandable way.

Shuma

Smash Hero
My *** is cool. Sakurai is a ****ing psicopath and he scares me, my dog and my dog's fleas to death.

Shuma

Smash Hero
*has a seizure*

To answer you question, no i don't see sakurai as an "old friend". He is just another Video game developer... but insane.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
he is crazy...but he was only 19 when he made kirby and that whole series so he is a gaming genius i would venture to say. i do hope he returns if there is a next SSB.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Daily Dojo press releases would be a lot more boring than what we have. I wouldn't say it's like an old friend, but like one of those guys that keeps up with stuff you don't and mentions pretty cool stuff to you on occasion.

"HEY! Check this out!"

But other times shows you some pretty lame stuff too.

"You must recover!"

What?
RECOVER, **** IT! RECOVER!!

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
A lot of the things he'll be remembered by are the engerish, but thats more due to Nintendo's translators.

And the site was made to create hype, aimed at youth... if he was all professional and technical all the the site would not have gotten so much attention and so the game would have gotten less hype. It's all business.

That being said he is still one of my favorite "games" people, and I will miss the corny updates

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
I think the Dojo updates were very fooling. It put so much incredible information on there that you thought that the UNLOCKABLE content would be INCREDIBLE. BUT you were wrong and it disappointed incredibly.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Sakurai=OUT OF HIS MIND!!!!

But still awesome!!! Creator of my two favorite game franchises; Kirby and Smash Bros!!! He is hilarious, and a mad genius, so yeah, he rocks! I'd love to meet him in person, wonder if he's just as insane....

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai is a pretty cool guy, eh takes away Wavedashing & Lcancel and doesn't afraid of anything.
Win

I don't see Sakurai as that. Yes, he's a little more personable then other developers, but he doesn't seem like an old friend.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
Up until now I didn't know who Sakurai was. When I found out he was the creator of Super Smash Bros. my heart was aflutter. Sakurai is aaawwwweeeesssooommmeee! H-h-he is my best friend forever. Will he make another Smash Bros.? I don't have time to ponder such questions as his newest game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is almost out here in the U.S. If this is the last installment of Smash Bros. to be created by Sakurai I will be very sad, but I must recover.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Sakurai has been my idol since the first Kirby game I played (Kirby 64). I never really knew him that well until the Dojo, however. My old friend? Not really, more like someone I look up to.

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
Up until now I didn't know who Sakurai was. When I found out he was the creator of Super Smash Bros. my heart was aflutter. Sakurai is aaawwwweeeesssooommmeee! H-h-he is my best friend forever. Will he make another Smash Bros.? I don't have time to ponder such questions as his newest game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is almost out here in the U.S. If this is the last installment of Smash Bros. to be created by Sakurai I will be very sad, but I must recover.
You, sir, win the internet. Best post ever in the history of the world.

Yeah, Sakurai's my best friend! Even though I still don't know how to pronounce his name (Suh-KUR-eye or SAK-ur-eye?), he's been my best friend since I played Kirby 64, like the person above.

EB08

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I think the Dojo updates were very fooling. It put so much incredible information on there that you thought that the UNLOCKABLE content would be INCREDIBLE. BUT you were wrong and it disappointed incredibly.
Just had to respond to this, but if the Dojo had non-incredible information, it probably wouldn't get your attention at all. That said, you only set yourself up for disappointment by expecting things.

Top Bottom